Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 6,063 Words
  • 3,835 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Reluctant Consort - 19. Chapter 19

Meen Kau’s Ambush

The meeting lasted longer than Jihan wanted, but when they were finished, all parties were happy with the expected profit division.

Jihan offered to walk Niall Byn and his partner, Ven, out of the Eagle’s Claw.

The main hall was filling with customers having tea or a midday meal as the sun was at its highest already. Jihan returned any greetings that came his way from old acquaintances until they came to the busy entrance doors.

Jihan moved to the right of the large front veranda, so as not to block the entrance. He turned to Niall and Ven.

“You’ll always have a room at the Eagle’s Claw,” Jihan said. “Ambra will introduce you to our messengers in case of any issues.”

“I’m glad we met,” Niall said, smiling wide. “Kamran Merchants are said to have vast trade routes. I have heard that doing business with you will keep our goods moving for over a lifetime. Your man, Ambra, promised that you are open to reasonable discussion. He was not wrong.”

“We’re happy to do business with anyone who is willing to negotiate. Don’t forget to share the news of our new trade station near Silver Shore Valley. The more traders we can get passing there the better.”

“I’m excited to learn that it will get easier to access Silver Salt,” Niall said. “It’s been very difficult to find it. Don’t worry. I’ll make sure to share the news and find someone to run the shop we rent there too.”

“That’s good to hear,” Jihan said, glad because he now had another trader willing to open a shop at the trading station.

Rashan ran out of the inn and straight toward Jihan, wrapping his arms around Jihan’s waist.

“Papa, I thought you left me,” Rashan said.

“Why would I leave you?” Jihan asked, smoothing strands of hair back from Rashan’s face. He wrapped a steadying arm around Rashan’s shoulders when Rashan rested his weight on Jihan.

“I wanted to go visit a market, and Safan said I have to ask you. I went looking for you in the meeting room and you weren’t there,” Rashan said, looking up at him. His gaze so full of worry, Jihan found himself wanting to wipe that worry away.

“I’ll never leave you, Shan,” Jihan promised, rubbing Rashan’s back.

“Is he your son?” Niall asked, drawing Jihan’s attention.

Jihan smiled at Rashan who looked at him waiting for an answer. So, he turned Rashan to face Niall.

“Yes, this is my son, Rashan,” Jihan said with pride. “Shan, you should say hello to him. He is Niall Byn and that’s Ven. They are merchants from Tanad Kingdom. We’ll be working often with them. Rashan is part of Kamran. I hope you’ll assist him when you meet him.”

Niall stepped forward and held out his hand to Rashan. Rashan shook the offered hand with a cordial smile.

“I look forward to learning from the masters working with Kamran,” Rashan said.

Niall grinned at Rashan’s statement. He gave Rashan a formal bow and looked at Jihan.

“Kamran’s Master,” Niall said, bringing his right hand up to his chest, he gave a short nod that Ven mirrored. “Thank you for taking the time to see us.”

“Have a safe journey to Tanad,” Jihan said, giving them a nod as they turned to leave.

Rashan took Jihan’s right hand, squeezing it as he asked.

“Will you take me to the market now?” Rashan asked.

“What do you want to see in the market?” Jihan asked, looking to Firuz.

Jihan was aware there were more eyes on them these days. He had noticed Firuz had grown tense as they worked around the inn. He raised an eyebrow at Firuz in question.

“The market two streets from here is friendly,” Firuz said. “It’s also closer in case we have to return in a hurry.”

Jihan nodded and smiled at Rashan.

“What do you want to buy at the market?”

“I’ve never been to one,” Rashan said, looking at Jihan with a hopeful gaze. “Please take me, Papa.”

Well, when the boy looked at him with eyes that reminded him of Kastan how could he say no? Rashan smiled at him, and Jihan found himself lost. This father and son had him wrapped around their fingers; it was hard to disappoint them. He looked up to answer Firuz and found him smiling already knowing Jihan’s answer to Rashan.

“A moment,” Firuz said, hurrying back into the inn. He returned minutes later with two plain dark cloaks.

Jihan glanced down at the fine royal clothes Rashan wore and sighed.

Yes, Firuz had the right thought. They needed to blend in to the market, especially Rashan.

Jihan wore his cloak first then took the shorter one from Firuz and secured it around Rashan’s shoulders. He made sure Rashan’s fine clothes were covered, though there was nothing to be done about the gold clip securing Rashan’s hair. He could be the son of a wealthy merchant, which was far more approachable than royal blood. People were afraid of the imperial family.

Satisfied, Jihan held out his hand to Rashan. Rashan squeezed his fingers as they went down the steps heading left toward the market. Firuz moved in to walk on Jihan’s right side.

“We’ve had multiple tails since we arrived in Vasia,” Firuz said, keeping his tone low as they walked. “Most of them I have referred to General Temu. He has his soldiers dealing with them. There is one that reminds me of our days supplying the army.”

Jihan took in a deep breath. He worried because he didn’t want trouble while out with Rashan. The boy might train daily, but he didn’t want Rashan having to face violence on a quiet outing like this.

“Is it the Burning Feather?” Jihan asked, his gaze on Rashan who was taking in everything on the street they walked with bright eyes.

“It could be,” Firuz said, though his voice sounded doubtful. “It feels like them, but not. It is someone hoping to approach you when you’re alone.”

“That hardly happens now,” Jihan said, aware that Temu had people watching him often.

“Let us enter the market and see what happens,” Firuz said.

The market they chose was a quarter-acre large, filled with stalls. The merchants here worked with Kamran, but hardly any knew Jihan. They were more familiar with Garren. Jihan knew a stall or two who knew him. If there were trouble, they would find help there.

Jihan watched Rashan explore stalls with a profound sense of innocence and excitement. He found he enjoyed watching Rashan’s eyes grow wide with awe at an elaborate display of string instruments. Rashan laughed when a stall keeper held out a winding fan at him, then showed him a drumming toy monkey. It was intriguing that Rashan stopped at a blacksmith’s stall, looking at long blades, star daggers and to Jihan’s dismay more knives.

“May I get that?” Rashan asked, pointing at an intricate leather quiver with a strong bow to match. “It looks handsome.”

Jihan wished he could return Rashan to the stall with the toys, but he was not raising a boy who played with toys. Instead, he was raising a warrior.

“I’d take the one next,” Firuz told Rashan, stepping forward to point at a dark leather quiver hanging next to the one Rashan wanted. “It will last longer and won’t mind the abuse of combat.”

Rashan nodded and the stall keeper sensing a sale brought down both items. Jihan found his bag of silver pieces and watched as Firuz and Rashan looked over the bows and quivers. They tested the bow. Firuz helping Rashan hold the bow and tug the string, when they were in agreement, Jihan turned to the stall keeper. He paid for Rashan’s new quiver and bow, not missing Firuz’s pleased smile at Rashan’s choice. It looked like he was not the only one smitten by the little prince.

Jihan sighed, clasping his hands at the back as they continued their stroll through the market.

“They’re here again,” Firuz murmured and Jihan tried not to tense his shoulders.

“Should you step back so that they approach?” Jihan asked. “Not knowing is worse, it will be better if we can figure out who is watching us. This way, there are no surprises.”

“I’ll do that at the next stall,” Firuz said.

Rashan stopped at a stall displaying leather cloaks, marveling over one with deep black fur hanging on a stand. It was massive, and made Jihan think of Kastan. Jihan joined Rashan at the stall so that Firuz could take a closer look at their stalker.

“Do you think your Pa would like this?” Jihan asked, touching the heavy cloak. “It looks like something he would wear when it gets very cold.”

“I think he would like it,” Rashan said, nodding his head. “What about me? Will you get a cloak for me?”

Jihan smiled having noted that Rashan’s mission today was getting Jihan to buy him things.

“Which one do you like?” Jihan asked.

“You pick for me,” Rashan insisted. “I’ll wear it if you pick it out for me.”

Jihan’s brow rose in question but he didn’t ask. Instead, he concentrated on looking around the stall. He found a black cloak to match the one he would get for Kastan. This one had brown fur. Pointing at it, the stall’s helper pulled it off its stand and handed it to Jihan. Jihan checked it to make sure it was good quality work. When he was satisfied, he placed it over Rashan’s shoulders over his grey cloak. It was too long on the hem, but he was sure Master Rabo would fix that. Besides, Rashan was a growing boy. Soon, he would need the extra length.

“How do I look?” Rashan asked.

“Handsome, perfect,” Jihan said, crouching down so that he could look into Rashan’s dark eyes.

“Good, I’ll finally have something to boast about at the academy too,” Rashan said with a pleased smile. “I’m always the odd one out.”

“What do you mean?” Jihan asked, wondering who would dare make Rashan feel left out in that academy.

“Every time I’m at the academy, some of my friends brag,” Rashan said, his voice turning shy. “They wear cloaks, boots and other things bought outside the valley. Saying their Pa or Ma went on a tour and brought them back gifts. Since all of my stuff is made at home, I never have anything to say. Now I will.”

Jihan thought his heart might burst with love in that moment. He too had looked forward to his Pa bringing him gifts from his travels. Unlike Rashan, he had wanted a simple token of affection, a word maybe, that his father had missed him. He never got any.

“Rashan, I promise I’ll do my best to always bring you something if I travel,” Jihan said now to a son he had not expected but cherished. “No matter how small, I want you to know, I’ll always be thinking of you. Okay?”

Rashan nodded and smiled wide.

Jihan leaned in and kissed Rashan’s forehead. Rashan blushed red and Jihan chuckled, adjusting the cloak on Rashan’s shoulders.

“We’ll get the hem adjusted and Fara will use one of your pins to secure it in place,” Jihan said with a satisfied nod.

He got up and took the cloak from Rashan’s shoulders. The stall’s owner hurried to help him fold it, taking the one for Kastan, and one for Firuz, Jihan paid for their purchases. He took Rashan’s hand as he waited for the stall owner to fold their items.

A short gasp from the stall owner had him looking up and freezing in place when he noted a tall man standing at the back of the stall. Four ghost warriors who spread out around the stall accompanied him. The ghost warriors held crossbows pointed at Jihan and Rashan.

“Fold those cloaks slower,” the tall man said, his tone enough to shake the stall’s owner. “I would fold them but you might not want to take them with you.”

Jihan pulled Rashan closer to him, making sure his body blocked Rashan from any arrows.

“Imperial Prince Consort has nothing to fear from me,” the tall man said, moving closer to the counter where their cloaks were being folded. “It is very difficult to get close to you in this city. Your husband has heightened your guard too much. You’ll just need to spend a lot more time at this stall so that you and I may have a conversation.”

“Before we get started, why don’t you let the stall owner go find me change in the next stall,” Jihan said, hoping to stop unnecessary bloodshed. The two women working in the stall were innocent.

“As you wish,” the tall man said, nodding.

Jihan met the stall owner’s gaze and gave her a reassuring nod, urging her to leave. He held out a gold piece. She packed Jihan’s cloaks into a bag and placed it on the shelf closest to Jihan. The woman then took Jihan’s gold piece and hurried her helper out of the stall to the next one.

“As it is rumored, Imperial Prince Consort has great reasoning,” the tall man said. “You have saved two lives. If they heard what we discuss here, their necks would end up on the edge of my blade.”

Jihan breathed in some relief when Firuz touched his left shoulder. Rashan now stood between him and Firuz. It would do for now.

“My name is Meen Kau. I am Lord Revi’s Master Merchant,” the tall man introduced himself. “Excuse my rudeness; I would have liked to meet Your Highness at the Eagle’s Claw, as all others do. However, you have more eyes on you than the Empress. Your husband is very thorough.”

Rashan pressed closer to Jihan, clutching Jihan’s cloak at the back.

“What does Master Kau want from me?” Jihan asked, meeting Meen Kau’s peculiar green gaze.

“The rumor that Kamran is building a trade station near Silver Shore Valley has turned true. I heard Your Highness is sourcing merchants to rent stalls at the trade station. My master is insulted that Your Highness has not approached him. We would love your consideration. It would please my master.”

“Would it?” Jihan asked, holding back angry words.

He wanted to curse at Meen Kau for his entitled attitude, but held his words. Rashan was with him. This was also not the place to discuss the intricacies of a business deal with Lord Revi.

“What is your answer, Imperial Prince Consort?” Meen Kau asked.

“Master Kau, you’ve caught me at a disadvantage,” Jihan said. “Lord Revi and Kamran have never done business. It is harder now because of who we both are now. It’s difficult to discuss such a delicate matter in the middle of a market.”

“Yes,” Meen Kau said. “I understand Your Highness’s situation. However, you should see mine too. It is very hard to get to Your Highness. It would be nice to hear your answer now. I don’t think I will get another chance to stand so close to you.”

“Master Kau won’t like my answer,” Jihan said. “Kamran and Lord Revi respect each other by staying apart, keeping our distance. Lord Revi’s merchants and ours don’t mix, he has rule over the Imperial City Market and we don’t interfere. A trade station should not change this mutual agreement. I hope that we can continue that way.”

“Are you afraid of my master?”

“Why should I be?” Jihan asked, flashing Meen Kau a smile. “I’m only cautious because our ideas on business differ. It is difficult to reach a mutual understanding. All I can tell you is that the trading station has no space, Master Meen. I have nothing to give you.”

“I feel that we’ve started on the wrong side,” Meen Kau said. “You see, I’m quite disappointed at this news.”

Jihan picked up the package of cloaks the stall owner had made for him.

“I’m not always a man filled with cheerful news,” Jihan said, hugging his package. He stepped back and was glad to feel Rashan follow his movement. The ghost warriors in the stall moved closer and Jihan stopped. Their arrows looked too deadly. He reached behind him to steady Rashan, keeping him hidden.

His gaze remained on Meen Kau who was looking at him with a challenging glance.

Lord Revi’s people had not changed. If the bastard could not get something with a simple request, his reaction was always to bully his way into it.

“A simple request was the easiest way to start our relationship,” Meen Kau said, as if on cue. “Now that Your Highness has rejected my request, I have to take a harder line. There are other ways to make Your Highness find us considerable space on the trade station. Lord Duyi, for example, is a man with power over your Kamran Merchants.”

Jihan scoffed. Meen Kau had done his research. Lord Duyi was not hard to convince, all he needed was a handsome bag of gold.

“Master Kau is quite mean-spirited,” Jihan said, shaking his head, already running through his options.

His current problem was the ghost warriors with their arrows. Firuz might be able to fight them off, but they now had Rashan with them. He wasn’t sure they could keep a stray arrow from hurting the boy.

“Your Grace, are you done with your purchase?” Temu’s voice sounded like a balm over a scalding wound. “We’ve been waiting for you.”

Jihan turned to his right and could not stop the grin when he saw Temu walking toward him.

Temu was not alone. He had come with several soldiers who were scattered around the market, heading toward them.

“This is not over,” Meen Kau hissed.

Jihan turned back to the stall in time to see Meen Kau and his ghost warriors disappear behind the back shelves of the stall.

“Sorry for the delay. We couldn’t see the position of your assailants. We needed to make sure you both stayed safe. Otherwise, I would have come out sooner. Who was it?” Temu asked, winking at Rashan who moved from behind Jihan to wave at Temu.

“Lord Revi sent his master merchant. He wants a shop at the trade station. I refused him, so he is bound to retaliate,” Jihan said, breathing in his first full breath. “They ran away behind the stall.”

“We’ll try our best to find them,” Temu said, nodding at Safan who joined them from the back of the stall.

“They are moving quite fast,” Safan said. “They had an escape path prepared beforehand.”

“Then we should head back to the inn,” Temu said. “I’ve arranged our trip home to Silver Shore tomorrow. It would be nice if Your Grace told me the next time you decide to leave the inn.”

“I’m working on including you all in my decision making,” Jihan said, trying not to snap at Temu.

He had not thought anyone would approach him this way. This was supposed to be a simple visit to the market for Rashan.

His frown would not go away, and the idea of Lord Revi’s interest in the trade station was upsetting. Jihan liked to keep his businesses clean. Lord Revi was another case. He would do anything to make sure Jihan somehow agreed to work with him. Which meant finding his greatest weakness.

“Before we leave, there is someone I need to talk to,” Jihan said, meeting Temu’s keen gaze. “I need to meet him if we’re going to live a peaceful existence.”

“Who is this?” Temu asked.

“My Pa,” Jihan said, and then frowned, a shudder running through him. “I would rather not talk to him, but he is Kamran’s greatest weakness. Lord Revi will be happy to exploit it. My Pa will be too ambitious to know what is happening. We need to get to him before they do.”

Temu nodded indicating that he would do what Jihan asked without question.

“I’ll make the arrangements personally,” Temu said, pointing to a path that led to the exit. “First, we should head back to the Eagle’s Claw.”

Rashan took Jihan’s hand, drawing his attention.

“Who was that man, Papa?” Rashan asked. “Why does he want the trade station we are building?”

“He is what you call a Master Merchant. He runs a merchant organization on behalf of a noble. They can be quite unscrupulous because of it,” Jihan said, looking back at the stall to see that the stall owner was back, checking her things.

He made a mental note to remember to ask Garren to send her support.

Temu moved in to his line of vision and he had no choice but to look forward, heading to the exit.

“Shan,” Jihan squeezed Rashan’s hand. “Were you scared?”

Rashan shook his head, smiling at him.

“No, you were there and so was Master Firuz,” Rashan said. “And you weren’t scared of those ghost warriors even with their crossbows pointed at you. I knew I had to be the same.”

Jihan was glad Rashan could not hear his speeding heartbeat, though he was sure Firuz could. He met Firuz’s gaze, and sighed when Firuz winked at him.

The walk back to the Eagle’s Claw was uneventful. Jihan paused at the entrance doors at the inn watching Rashan rush ahead with Safan. He clenched his hands hoping to ease the trembling that had started the closer they got to the Eagle’s Claw.

For the first time since Firuz found him, Jihan had felt fear while facing danger. Fear that Rashan might get hurt if a scuffle broke out. He now understood why Kastan preferred to leave Rashan at Silver Shore Valley.

“It will get easier,” Temu said, coming to stand beside him. “The fear will get easier to bear.”

Jihan took in a deep breath and turned to Temu.

“I can’t see how. I don’t think I could stand it if Rashan got hurt,” Jihan said, shaking his head. “We need to control my father, General Temu. Find him and bring him to me. Make it as forceful as you need. Also send Andiya and the trade station more security.”

“I’ll make sure it gets done,” Temu promised.

“Then, I’ll make sure we are ready to leave the inn tomorrow morning,” Jihan said.

Temu brought his right hand to his chest in respect, and then turned to his horse. When he mounted his horse, he rode toward the Imperial City Akan.

*~*~*~*

Jihan spent his evening with Rashan in a private meeting room with a balcony showing off the large courtyard. The actors rehearsing earlier were enacting their play in the open space. Jihan made sure Rashan had the best sit in the house so that he could watch the play undisturbed from above.

Their round table was laden with their evening meal. Firuz, Swallow and Tagon joined them. Rashan moved from the table to the balcony trying to keep up with the play.

Jihan made up a small plate for Rashan. He handed it to Firuz.

“Move a chair for him and you two can sit there to watch the play,” Jihan said, watching Rashan clap in honest amusement when the actors made dramatic leaps across the stage, in an attempt to emulate Duke Silver’s heroic adventures.

Firuz took a stool and chair closer to the balcony and brought the plate of food to Rashan. Jihan smiled when they both settled there.

“You’re happy,” Swallow stated.

Jihan turned to his longtime friend to find Swallow and Tagon watching him. He picked up his goblet of water and sipped, giving them a short nod. There was no need to explain his feelings further. It felt good to have a home to belong to, someone to love freely.

“I never asked how things are with you,” Jihan said to Swallow. “Duke Silver treated you badly when he thought you were taking Andiya away.”

“His men were swift and brutal with my people,” Swallow said. “Andiya saved my life when she offered to go with them. They had a ghost warrior escort us the rest of the way to my home. The ghost warrior left the moment your marriage was announced.”

Jihan nodded, having known Kastan would have been thorough.

“I apologize on his behalf,” Jihan said, lifting his goblet in a toast to Swallow.

Swallow grinned taking up his goblet to accept the toast.

“That’s how you know its love,” Swallow said after he took a healthy gulp.

“How?” Jihan asked.

“You’re apologizing for him,” Swallow said with a wide smile. “You want to make sure I think better of him. Same way you want us to look at Rashan and treat him with care.”

Jihan blushed and focused on eating the fish on his plate. Yes, he was in love with Duke Silver. He was unable to tell Duke Silver he loved him, but he could show it to others, most of all to Swallow and Tagon.

“I’m worried about Lord Revi,” Jihan said, changing the subject. “He wants a place at the trade station. I think he’s hoping to take up some of our business.”

“You’re right, it’s getting hard to survive in the Iron Lands,” Swallow said with a heavy sigh. “Your support is helping me stay afloat. I don’t have working shops in the Iron Lands. Meen Kau has taken over a lot of the markets.”

Jihan frowned, meeting Tagon’s concerned gaze.

“Are you safe?” Tagon asked. “I will take in your family for a while. I know they can’t be at Silver Shore Valley right now. Jihan is too busy trying to turn a profit. My estate is open to them, Swallow.”

“I’ll think about it,” Swallow said, an underlying steel tone lacing his voice. “I’m angry Lord Revi is making my home unbearable to live in. I have a child I want to see grow up. I don’t want to leave my home because of a bully. We’ll endure until we can’t anymore.”

“Whatever you need,” Jihan said then. “I’ll make it happen.”

Swallow smiled and got up. He brushed a kiss on the top of Jihan’s head.

“Thank you,” Swallow murmured, and then took his goblet of wine to join Rashan and Firuz.

Jihan met Tagon’s knowing gaze and they continued their meal in companionship born of friendship. It was a nice, comfortable evening. One Jihan had missed for a long time.

When they were done eating, Swallow and Tagon excused themselves to deal with business matters.

Jihan, Rashan and Firuz stayed because Rashan wanted to finish watching the play. However, Rashan was tired and by the time the play ended, Rashan was asleep with his head resting on Jihan’s left shoulder.

“I can take him to his bed,” Firuz offered, when he noticed Jihan stroking Rashan’s hair as the boy slept.

“Let him be for a while,” Jihan said, smiling as Rashan snuggled deeper into him still asleep. “I like having him this close.”

Firuz moved away and brought back a soft blanket. Jihan helped Firuz place it over Rashan. When Rashan was covered, Firuz took the empty seat across Jihan in the small meeting room. Firuz was pouring tea into his cup when a knock came on the door.

Jihan looked up to see Temu.

“Your Grace, he’s here,” Temu said, keeping his tone low when he noted Rashan sleeping.

Jihan stayed still as Safan entered the meeting room. He kissed Rashan’s forehead when Safan picked him up, getting up too so that he could make sure the blanket stayed on Rashan.

“I’ll tuck him in,” Safan promised him.

Jihan didn’t doubt it, after all Safan had taken care of Rashan much longer. Jihan stretched his arms above his head and took in a deep breath. He removed the plain cloak Firuz had given him and adjusted his belt so that his red token was visible. When Safan was gone, carrying Rashan with care, Jihan turned his attention to Temu.

“He’s not happy with our treatment of him,” Temu said. “We dragged him out of Kamran Manor when he was about to meet court ministers close to Lord Revi.”

Jihan cursed under his breath and looked down at his clothes. His father responded to stronger authority, he would bow before Kastan, even Rashan. There was no telling what he would do before Jihan.

Jihan sighed. He needed to look authoritative, imperial, which were not represented by what he wore right now. This morning he had chosen to dress in a simple black tunic, with only the belt with his token as a sign of his status.

Jihan suddenly wished he had the cloak with the black tiger on it.

“You have all of Silver Shore Valley’s backing,” Temu said, as though reading his thoughts. “I’ll make sure anything you need done happens. So, don’t be nervous. Say what you need to protect the family.”

Firuz squeezed Jihan’s arm in assurance.

Jihan nodded and Temu left to bring Lord Duyi into the room.

Jihan closed his eyes as two of Temu’s men carried his father in. The two men had blindfolded Duyi with a black cloth. That did not seem to stop Duyi from cursing every step of the way. He threatened to get Temu sent to the imperial dungeon, where he would be turned into a eunuch. The threats were unwarranted.

“My son is a Duke of Silver Shore Valley, Imperial Consort to Imperial Prince Kastan. How dare you touch me,” Duyi boasted. “You’ll all die by morning if you keep this up. The Commander of Armies will have your heads for treating me this way.”

“Your certainly make my husband sound frightening and cruel,” Jihan said, when Temu pushed Duyi into a chair at the round table they used for their meal.

Duyi froze in his seat, turning his head in the direction of Jihan’s voice.

“Is this what you tell everyone you meet to gain the upper hand?” Jihan asked, not amused.

He hated to think what kind of deals Duyi had created using him as a threat.

Temu removed the blindfold from Duyi’s eyes and Duyi’s gasp filled the room.

“You!” Duyi pointed at Jihan. “Did you have them drag me in here? What gives you the right to have me dragged me out of my house. How dare you? You ungrateful wretch.”

“Watch how you talk to His Highness,” Temu warned in a menacing tone.

The sound of it reminded Jihan of the time Temu found him at Kamran Estate, the evening Kastan insisted they were to get married.

“His Highness might be your son, but he is now Imperial Prince Consort,” Temu continued. “You will show him respect.”

Temu’s tone was enough to shut Duyi’s tirade, for a moment, enough for Jihan to get a word in.

“Pa, your house has too many interested people watching it. I can’t go to you without making news, so this was the only way.”

“That does not sound like an apology,” Duyi grumbled, giving Temu a wary glance.

Jihan folded his arms against his chest.

“I have a request to make of you,” Jihan said, jumping into the problem. The faster Lord Duyi returned to his manor the better. “Lord Revi will reach out to you. I need you to ignore his attempts to make a deal with Kamran.”

“Why?” Duyi asked, his brow knitting in a frown. “That would mean we are in league with one of the most powerful men in the empire. Jihan, I refuse to listen to this request.”

“You will listen,” Jihan said, his tone hard, as anger brewed. When had his father ever seen his side of things? “Lord Revi’s agendas are not what they seem. Kamran will suffer if we join hands with him. Promise him nothing if he meets you. Do you understand?”

“Or what?” Duyi asked with a short scoff.

“Or…,” Jihan met Temu’s gaze and smiled when Temu nodded.

Jihan moved closer to his father, he leaned in so that he could hold Duyi’s gaze.

“General Temu is authorized to take you into custody and hand you over to the armies’ corrections officer. Duke Silver is very concerned with keeping Silver Shore Valley secure. Your actions will have endangered his home, his son and his consort. He has full authority to punish you. You might find yourself dismembered, Pa.”

“He wouldn’t do that,” Duyi said, his brow rising in challenge though Jihan saw panic in the depths. “I’m his father in-law. You wouldn’t let him.”

“Why would I stop him?” Jihan asked, remembering the life this man had pushed on him. “When did you give me the courtesy of listening to my suggestions? Even now, I have to threaten you in order to keep the family safe. When have you ever thought that your greed might harm us all?”

Duyi held his words this time and simply stared at Jihan.

Jihan narrowed his gaze as he moved away from his father.

“You are who you are because of the risks I took,” Duyi said, his tone low, accusing.

“Risks that could have gotten Andiya arrested by an angry Empress,” Jihan said, remembering the risks he had taken to protect Andiya and her child. “You had no regard for us, or what we might want in life. Do you even know that you’re going to be a grandpa soon?”

Duyi’s eyes went wide, his gaze going to Jihan’s stomach shock clear on his face. It made Jihan chuckle.

“Wouldn’t that be a miracle,” Jihan said with a laugh at Duyi’s thoughts. “I admit I’m outstanding, Pa, but I can’t give you grandchildren. No matter how long Duke Silver and I try. Andiya is the one pregnant. Your grandson is on the way. You need to do all you can to protect them.”

Duyi sat back, shock clear in his eyes as he stared at Jihan.

“And how long have you known Andiya was pregnant?” Duyi asked.

“Long enough,” Jihan said, refusing to be exact.

Duyi gave a defeated sigh, and shook his head.

“Is this what you think of me? Do you think that I would put my family in danger? My grandchild?”

“It’s what you have done for as long as I can remember,” Jihan said, unable to keep accusation out of his tone.

Duyi stared at him, his expression hard to read, so Jihan stepped back.

“General Temu will keep two officers with you. They’ll help you remember what you should do when Lord Revi approaches you,” Jihan said. “If you try anything, they have the authority to treat worse than they did today. Don’t expect kindness from me.”

“You don’t even talk to me with respect. Is this how you treat your father?” Duyi asked, glaring at Jihan.

“No, this is how I treat Lord Duyi, who makes decisions based on what he will gain,” Jihan said. “When I meet my Pa, he will have all my respect.”

Duyi gaped, and Jihan met Temu’s gaze to see that his order was received.

Temu bowed his head once in answer.

Jihan turned to Duyi Kamran one last time before he left the room followed by Firuz. He walked fast, heading to the stairs, he went up in a run and didn’t stop until he was in the corridor of the third floor. Taking deep breaths, he closed his eyes and leaned on the wall.

“Do you think there is a punishment for a son who treats his father that badly?” Jihan asked after a moment, aware that Firuz had followed him.

“He hasn’t made it easy for you,” Firuz said. “You have more people to protect now. You’re only doing what you need to do to keep them safe.”

Jihan sighed and kept walking to his suite. He hoped Firuz was right and that his father would not hate him too much.

He slept hard that night and woke in the morning eager to return to Silver Shore Valley. He wanted to return home to Kastan. Rashan was still sleepy, so they decided to use a carriage from the inn.

Later in the day, they would switch to horses, Jihan thought, smiling at Rashan who ate a peach with lazy abandon.

*~*~*~*

You're a superstar, I appreciate you for reading this story.
Here is a character list to track the many characters.
Suilan Lee, 2019-2021
  • Like 33
  • Love 28
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

lol about time Johan treat Lord DuYi the way he deserved !

hmm Lord Revi is becoming dangerous !

btw « H gave Rashan a formal bow and looked at Jihan », shouldn’t it be « He gave » ?

excellent chapter 👍 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

And I hope someone got Jihan’s money back from that stall owner, LOL!

 

I know, right? I thought that too. That was a gold piece he gave her. I loved how he made a mental note to organise some support for her. She don't need your support. She's supporting herself on your gold coin.

Although I suppose he did buy 3x well-made cloaks. Not that I know the cost of a cloak...

Psssttt...did you see? We also got an additional chapter!

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Danilo Syrtis said:

lol about time Johan treat Lord DuYi the way he deserved !

hmm Lord Revi is becoming dangerous !

btw « H gave Rashan a formal bow and looked at Jihan », shouldn’t it be « He gave » ?

excellent chapter 👍 

Thank you for catching that.  Fixed now.  I posted late at night, feeling half asleep, just edited it again. :) 

17 hours ago, Buz said:

I must admit to frustration though. I've been waiting for the confrontation caused by Nisa and lead by Ferino. I want to see Firuz and Temu kick ass. Now we have to wait until next year.

Not so long, next chapter is up, totally big fight for Jihan's life. Hahaha.

 

16 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

And I hope someone got Jihan’s money back from that stall owner, LOL!

I hope so too.

 

14 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Outstanding chapter, Rashan is so grown up sometimes.  Jihan truly is a parent, for being one means that your safety will always take a backseat to that of your child.  To bad that Jihan's father never learned that lesson.  

Shan has his moments, Jihan has had a rough time with his Pa.  Lord Duyi is almost like a villain to him.

13 hours ago, Buz said:

That was a gold piece he gave her. I loved how he made a mental note to organise some support for her. She don't need your support. She's supporting herself on your gold coin.

I really did forget Jihan's change.  Oh well, she could face trouble from Meen Kau again, hahaha, or Garren from the Eagle's Claw could get it for him. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

The meeting with Meen Kau was scary.  Jihan did the right thing and Temu finally found him to end the confrontation.  I respect the way Jihan handled his Pa.  His father has no idea how much Jihan has done to make the Kamran so powerful. DuYi is not even intelligent to try to find out about those he and his wife now associate with.  If he did, he would know that Lord Revi would not be someone to be around, let alone do business with.  I would wish them a safe trip home, but we already know they will be facing Nisa's assassins.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..