Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 726 Words
  • 998 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Door - 1. Chapter 1

You stumble across a man building a door in the forest/or woods.

“Sir, excuse me for asking, but why are you building a door here?”

The builder, caught unawares, drops the hammer, swings around. “Damn! You scared me.”

The long haired young man approaches him carefully. His shoes squish the water-sodden soil. “Why would anyone build a door in a forest? Totally unexpected.”

The builder considers his question, picks up the hammer, and smiles. “Indeed, but this door is special.”

“Or any forest for that matter,” says the young man, his eyes wide. “For what purpose? A door opens. A door closes. It’s a simple structure, but one that belongs in a building.” He pokes his nose behind the door, only to find branches and leaves and darkness beyond. He hears a branch snap and fall to the ground. He reaches out, touches the white wood gently, like it’s a work of art.

The builder taps the man on the shoulder. “If you look this side, you’ll see a yellow light just above the portcolo.”

“That’s remarkable, but where’s the light switch?”

“There is no light switch. It’s just on. Stays on.”

“If one were to open the door, what would one find?” the young man asks, placing his hand on the shiny door-knob.

“History? Dinosaurs. Bilbo Baggins? Mary Poppins?”

“You built the door, sir. Surely you have a specific reason.”

“Maybe I built it because I can.”

“Curiosity being what curiosity is, someone is bound to open it.”

“Indeed. That’s why I built it. I had this dream. In it a voice told me to build a door in the middle of a forest, place a camera in that tree over there, and film everyone who comes across it.”

“Like a candid camera kind of thing?”

“Sort of. What’s your name?”

“David. What’s yours?”

‘Bradley.”

“I’ve been watching you build it for some hours now, but you haven’t opened it at all.”

“No need to. I know it works.” Bradley says.

“Would you mind if I try?”

“Not just yet. It needs one more nail.”

Squish. David steps back. Bradley places the long nail. He reaches for the topmost pelmet and knocks the nail halfway through the wood. Steps back. Admires his creation. “There. All done.”

“How is it that the nail is in only halfway?”

“For the key.”

“Silly me. Of course a door needs a key,” David laughs nervously.

“And here it is.” Bradley removes a key from his top pocket. Large. Shining. Hangs it off the nail.

“Finished. What do you think is beyond the door?” Bradley asks.

“Branches. Bush. Trees. Languishing in their timeless growth.”

“That’s what many people will think. But you haven’t really answered my question. What do you want there to be beyond the door?”

“Personally, a pot of gold. Treasure. I don’t want to work my whole life only to earn a pittance. I want to be wealthy beyond words.”

“You hope there’s money behind the door?”

“Yes.”

“Well then, why don’t you try it. Take the key and open the door. But you must step through it.”

David approaches the door carefully, almost tiptoeing. He reaches for the shiny key and holds it in his hand for a few seconds.

“It’s heavy. Like a jailhouse key.”

“I forged it from real silver. Only a silver key can open this door.”

David places the key in the keyhole and turns it gently. Click. Click.

The door creeks opens.

“Remember, David, you want money. All the wealth in the world. All you need do is step over the threshold and close the door behind you.”

David steps back. His body trembling. But there’s a light in his eyes and it’s not coming from the light in the door. It’s the light of curiosity. Beckoning him.

“This is a joke, right?” The laugh sticks in his throat.

“Nope. It’s what you believe. Your needs are all that you are. Make it happen,” Bradley says.

David steps over the threshold and winces as a cold breeze smacks into him.

The door shuts behind him.

Bradley opens the door almost immediately.

“Well, did you find that pot of gold?”

But David is gone.

Just like that. Poof.

Bradley skips along the small pathway leading out of the forest just as it begins to rain. He skips and whistles and shouts out.

“It works. Woop Woop Woop and YAY. It works!”

Hope you enjoyed this short
2014 Louis J Harris
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Holy shit, Louis! That was creepy! But did it ever occur to David to just walk around the door? lol

 

And where the hell did he go?

Link to comment
On 05/11/2014 05:48 AM, Lisa said:
Holy shit, Louis! That was creepy! But did it ever occur to David to just walk around the door? lol

 

And where the hell did he go?

Hahaha. My madness. He did check behind the door. But remember, for any magic to happen Bradley told him he must go thru the door.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Intriguing and suspenseful. I wonder who the voice that told Bradley to build the door was? And why the video camera? It reminds me of serial killers who record their victims. I wonder about David's fate and if he found his riches, and at what cost. I thoroughly enjoyed this. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It will work smashingly until someone comes along, opens the door, and seeing nothing but the forest, locks the door and takes the silver key to the pawnshop. :o

I liked the story, Louis.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

But how does he know it works? He only knows David disappeared! What does the camera observe, before or after? Answers! I must have them!

It's like a zen story in reverse... The only one who remains is he who is happy being himself in the forest...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Goosebumps, goose bumps that's all I got. What happened to David? What was Bradly? Where did the troll go?

Noooo, come here and write or else I'll open the door, push you in , lock it and throw the key to the sea so the shark can eat it as a dessert after enjoying Basil's arm.

Link to comment
On 05/12/2014 06:10 PM, nostic said:
Goosebumps, goose bumps that's all I got. What happened to David? What was Bradly? Where did the troll go?

Noooo, come here and write or else I'll open the door, push you in , lock it and throw the key to the sea so the shark can eat it as a dessert after enjoying Basil's arm.

0_0 lol
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..