Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 1,234 Words
  • 1,066 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Last Candle - 2. Chapter 2

Montgomery and Rebecca investigate the Arche

 

 

 

 

The Art

Of

Nose twitching

and

Ear twiddling.

 

Date – 22 February 2013

 

Montgomery Jordan Smith collected candles created by the best names in the world. Candle crafters were in possession of his contact details so it didn’t come to him as much of a surprise when he received an email inviting him to make an offer on a recent acquisition made by none other than the famous candle maker Benjamin Willowson.

He replied, saying he would be delighted to view the candle and made an immediate appointment.

Willowson’s Candle Crafters, by appointment to Her majesty, the Queen, had been in operation for 200 years, and one of the oldest reputable candle makers in all of England. Located in King James Street, the shop seemed to bounce out of the 16th century. The large wooden bay windows offered passing traffic a mere glimpse of the stout Willowson passion for candles.

Benjamin Willowson met him personally the moment he walked in. He was a bulbous looking gentleman of exuberant means. His brainpan was elongated and his head appeared larger than the norm. His nose was red, a bright red that matched the colour of the couch in his reception area. His hands were marked with white patches, not a disease, but the burn marks of candle making.

‘Such an honour to meet you.’ Monty said.

‘Why, thank you kindly. I must admit, meeting an ardent collector such as yourself, one who appreciates the beauty in candles, the mystery of candles and the passion for candles, gives me great pleasure.’

‘I’d like to… you know…see the candle.’

‘Ah, yes. Of-course, follow me.’

They walked into the back of the shop and Willowson pointed to a large rectangular canister.

‘Is that it?’

‘That is it.’

‘Is it a candle?’

‘It is.’

He gripped Monty’s elbow and led him around the canister to the inscription. ‘It’s Chinese. I don’t do their language.’

‘I don’t speak Chinese either. But I know someone who does. What you asking?’

‘Two hundred.’

 


 

 

Monty slapped his bag on the library counter and loudly greeted the fawn man behind thick lensed glasses and rosy cheeks. His thick, dark hair parted on the side, and his lips pouted when he spoke.

‘Shhhh!’ Rebson’s nose twitched.

Monty leaned over the counter. ‘I need your help.’

Blood rushed to his face when Monty twiddled his ear. He pushed him away. ‘I’m working.’

‘Lunch?’ He whispered.

Reb’s eye and nose twitched together.

He never visited at lunchtime. This was a first and he seemed a little out of kilter with the idea. ‘You’re cheeky and lucky. I’m not doing anything, and I have the afternoon off. Besides, I’m bored.’ He checked the time on the large clock in the front of the library. It was just before lunch. As a temporary member of staff, he was entitled to work only three days a week.

‘Wait for me outside. I’ll see you in a few minutes.’ He said, half turning to walk away.

 


 

 

Lambieswas a German delicatessen but both ordered a hamburger. ‘Okay,’ Rebs sighed, ‘what is it? The last time you and that rat, Philippe, were having problems.’ He pronounced it Fill-ee-pay.

‘Phillip. Just say Phillip. This time it’s far more serious.’

‘Are you going to tell me already?’

‘I bought something. I was looking for an odd candle in the mall the other day and came across one that looks like Sagittarius, the Archer. In fact, it has the same shape as the archer. The thing with this candle is that it’s life size.’

‘Well, congratulations on buying a candle that looks like an archer. Get to the point.’

‘Last night, while preparing the candle to be lit, I discovered all these inscriptions on it and wondered if you could help me decipher it.’

‘Decipher the inscriptions? Just burn the damned thing.’ He slapped the air and twitched his nose.

‘I think you need to see this candle before we make such hasty judgements.’

His days spent in the field were over. He preferred being a librarian. It was safer. He had been approached many times to assist on expeditions and he had flatly refused.

‘Where is it?’ Rebs asked.

‘At home.’

 


 

Home was a studio apartment in Rivonia, north of Johannesburg. The building boasted curved lines and wall to wall mirrors. The inside smelled like weeping pine. It was sparsely furnished, the wooden pine floors had been varnished, and there were no pictures, leaving the white walls free to reflect the sunlight off the wooden floor. A black grand piano, of no special make, stood inside the round of a bay window that had a view of the Jukskei River. His sheet music lay scattered across the lid of the piano.

‘Composed anything great lately?’ Rebs asked, taking a quick peek at the sheets of music.

‘Writer’s block.’ Monty said.

He led Rebs into his study lined with books and two computers, two printers, and several small music speakers. He had moved the chair aside to make space for the candle. Rebs extended a hand and touched the Archer gently, and then his gaze rested on a symbol carved on the rump of this half man half horse.

A simple, cursive arrow.

Jupiter

The Archer.

'He has orbited the earth since time began and it was said that the day would come when he will dance and sing and drink the fairest wine. Qin selected him for his spirit of adventure and his carefree attitude. But he has a greater wisdom, and his own philosophy of self and identity.'

‘Nice. You believe that shit?’

‘I studied this shit, remember.’

Reb's concentrating stare never left the Archer's rump. What looked like a jumble of words had been inscribed into the metal casing. He could read Mandarin. He studied languages as a second major.

'Wait! There's more.' He read the message out in a soft, almost conjuring voice.

  

These are words that should not be spoken lest

The Squire of Mars

Be thrust upon the world.

The hair grows wild

On a fig from a

A large southern island.

Fate is in your hands.

Seek out this fruit

and squeeze Its juice

over a flame.

Be very concerned.

Once you have read this

There is no going back.

The curse has been set.

If you fail to find the fruit

Your brain will be

Scale.

  

'I think you should burn the thing and get it over with.’ Rebs said, losing concentration for just a moment.

Monty said, thoughtfully, ‘he wrote, ‘These are words that should not be spoken lest The Squire of Mars Be thrust upon the world'. What do you think he meant by that?'

‘I have no idea. Maybe I shouldn’t have read it out loud, the message?’ The tip of Reb's lip twitched. He scratched his chin.

‘Yeah, well he hasn’t started moving .’

‘Don’t jump the gun. What else does it say? Something about a hairy fruit. The only hairy fruit on a southern Island I know, well, besides you, is Kiwi fruit. He says we should get some and squeeze the juice over a fire or something. Let’s see that again?’

His gaze once again fell on the Archer's rump, but to his amazement, the writing vanished.

‘Where do we get Kiwi fruit?’ Monty frowned.

Prepare yourself to meet a surprising character in the next chapter.
Louis J Harris
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well now, how did he come by the life sized candle? If 'tis the "real thing", then anything is possible. The new character=the archer? Right?

Link to comment
On 08/06/2011 01:35 PM, Daddydavek said:
Well now, how did he come by the life sized candle? If 'tis the "real thing", then anything is possible. The new character=the archer? Right?
errrr...it could have been. But I think It's time to meet one of the antagonists. I hope to make this an epic adventure. Lots of gremlins to iron out I know. Thanks for the read, D.
Link to comment

So unwittingly our pair has unleashed upon themselves and the world a curse to end all curses. :blink:

 

I don't have much else to say except I can't wait to see what lies ahead. Bloody big ass scorpions with stingers the size of swords, archers with disappearing language on their asses. What's next ?? :whistle:

Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 09:19 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
So unwittingly our pair has unleashed upon themselves and the world a curse to end all curses. :blink:

 

I don't have much else to say except I can't wait to see what lies ahead. Bloody big ass scorpions with stingers the size of swords, archers with disappearing language on their asses. What's next ?? :whistle:

Eish! I dont know whats next waiting for the characters to say something lol thanks for the review and you r protected no scorpion sting for u lol
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..