Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 750 Words
  • 141,201 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Last Candle - 1. Chapter 1

DISCOVERY.1939

The

Tail

and the

Sting…1939

 

Candles.

Wall to wall; floor to ceiling. Large, medium and small, all arranged in perfect order by height, perfume, and colour. Every one of them, a masterpiece of skill and passion. Each one of them represented a history. Professor James Fellow stood in awe of the craftsmanship. He edged forward a little, holding the torchlight high above his head. They had broken into the last chamber of the maze of caverns beneath the palace of Qin Shi Huang and his protégé, Mister Colin Davis, nudged him. ‘I told you this is something big.’

A tingle shot up Jame's spine. ‘Oh my. Oh my. Oh my.’

‘Exactly what we are looking for,' the younger man’s eyes lit up.

Before them stood a lead container about the size of a small car.

‘Is this too big for us?’ Colin asked.

James stared at it. It seemed so out of place. It seemed to be preventing an evil force from escaping. There was no seam where a seal might be found.

James approached the container and stopped at the inscription in the lead.

 

 ɱ 

 

Scorpio.

The eighth star sign.

Glee enveloped Robert’s face. This was Qin’s signature for Mars, ruler of Scorpio.

They stood back in awe of the sight they had stumbled upon. It was a rare find. For if the legends were true, inside this lead container was the Scorpion candle as created by the emperor of a Chinese dynasty.

They tried to burn it with a spiking hot blowtorch, and the more frustrated they became for the cutline simply disappeared with each application. It was a serious blow to both. If fire could not destroy the container then what could? Falling from a height? Submersing it in water? Cutting it with a gigantic industrial saw? It needed a concerted effort. Maybe a powerful explosion. They placed small charges at the base of the container and attached each explosive to a remote detonator. Colin pressed a button on a machine . The explosions sucked in the air. One by one the charges detonated and the outer layer of twisted lead fell away and crashed to the floor. The air smelled like phosphor. The heat applied an almost unbearable claustrophobic pressure beneath a plume of smoke, creating a mushroom as it rose from the damaged container. Colin watched the mushroom form and only then noticed the writing on the ceiling.

 

会当烟雾升起的一天,并须太晚、死亡本身已经被释放。

 

James started for the gaping hole but Colin managed to grab him and pull him back. He pointed to the ceiling. James froze when he read the words.

‘What does it mean?’ Colin asked.

‘There will come the day when smoke shall rise and it shall be too late, for death itself has been unleashed. That’s what it says. What it really means is that we are in deep shit.’

And then the smoke covered it.

James whispered. ‘I suggest we back off and get out of here.’

Colin wouldn’t hear of it. He had come this far and he wasn’t going to back off. It’s like a platoon commander deserting his troops in combat. He was going in.

‘Are you coming?’

‘Nope.’

‘Then stay here. I’ll write you a letter.’

James smiled at his humour. He understood him. He was Arian, an adventurer. Impulsive. He lived on the edge. He’ll die on the edge.

Colin nervously approached the gaping hole that remained after the rim fell away and popped his head around the corner. He peered into a dark cavernous expanse of black and then

something wrapped itself around him; it happened so fast that James only noticed him being pulled into the canister. After a terrifying scream there was silence.

James's legs leaped into action. He spun on his heels and fled into the dark cavern towards the wall. Halfway there, he stopped and looked around, the cavern was cold and silent. His breathe fogged the air. His heart skipped a beat. His mouth turned dry. The sweat on his forehead collected above his brows. The metallic wetness of adrenaline swamped his mouth as if he were about to throw up, but he swallowed the nausea twice before he realised he was already dead.

In the darkness behind him were two red eyes and they blinked.

For a brief moment, Professor James Fellow's gaze rested upon the terrifying shape of a fat, red scorpion with a staggered, scaly tail and a sting that looked like a sword. It hovered above his chest.

The following Chapter skips to modern times.
Louis J Harris
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Short, dramatic and not so sweet. Not exactly Pandora's box, but nasty never-the-less. This could be short story as we've been warned the next chapter is set in 2012. Hmmm, 210+2012=2222. Numerology? Energy overload?

Link to comment
On 07/29/2011 11:36 AM, Daddydavek said:
Short, dramatic and not so sweet. Not exactly Pandora's box, but nasty never-the-less. This could be short story as we've been warned the next chapter is set in 2012. Hmmm, 210+2012=2222. Numerology? Energy overload?
Hmmm I never looked at it like that. LOL. Nice touch to it. We'll see, I might use your idea mahahaha. Thanks for the kind words
Link to comment

Curious and curious. Has that feel of King Tut's tomb and it's curse.

 

So many questions, so few answers, you are a wicked evil man Louis. I'd ask my questions but you won't answer them now will you?

 

I wonder what the professor was thinking trying to open the container. He sensed it was holding back evil and still he insisted on blasting it open. What evil did he unleash upon the world.

 

Oh Oh Oh I know he unleashed Louis Harris - master of evil writing upon us :P

 

J/k of course. Good job.

Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 09:11 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Curious and curious. Has that feel of King Tut's tomb and it's curse.

 

So many questions, so few answers, you are a wicked evil man Louis. I'd ask my questions but you won't answer them now will you?

 

I wonder what the professor was thinking trying to open the container. He sensed it was holding back evil and still he insisted on blasting it open. What evil did he unleash upon the world.

 

Oh Oh Oh I know he unleashed Louis Harris - master of evil writing upon us :P

 

J/k of course. Good job.

Ja but its all changed. I updated. Its a crappy story but i need fantasy/horror experience
Link to comment

I guess "bleh" would be considered an inappropriate response...

 

it was ok. Not really enough to get worked up over, no investment in the characters so I didn't really care.

 

Why was the candle thing big as a car? that made no sense.

 

Although if they all are going to be full of nasty surprises this might be a fun little story. But I really need some sort of emotional investment in the people who die.

 

Keep writing.

Link to comment
On 09/12/2011 01:43 AM, Lugh said:
I guess "bleh" would be considered an inappropriate response...

 

it was ok. Not really enough to get worked up over, no investment in the characters so I didn't really care.

 

Why was the candle thing big as a car? that made no sense.

 

Although if they all are going to be full of nasty surprises this might be a fun little story. But I really need some sort of emotional investment in the people who die.

 

Keep writing.

As big as a car? Its a measure of size. Maybe a small car. Lol ill think o something else thanks for the review. The disparate chapters seem to be unlinked but they come together soon. These guys are situated all over the world. Thanks sgsin
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..