Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 1,163 Words
  • 1,406 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Last Candle - 3. Chapter 3

Introducing Plato. The antagonist. I know he reads like a good soul, but that's the intent. In this novel I'm experimenting with creating caricature characters. Characters who drive the plot with their inuendo's and personality. Please let me know where it's goign right, or wrong.

Death

Of a

Fallen

Leaf - 2012

 

A huge explosion rocked the house.

Serrina O’Connell dashed down the rickety staircase into the basement and found Plato lying face down on the floor.

Senora de la Luz! What on earth have zhew done this time? Zhew always making these big bangs like a stupido! And zhew know my heart she won’t take it but still zhew go on and on and on. What am I going to do with zhew?’ By this time she had her hands in the air, a small woman, with a robust mouth that spat Spanish words out by the dozen. Black eyes gazed at the mess the egg had made. She disliked swearing in English, it sounded raw and course. Spanish swearing was a lot more subtle.

‘Sorry, Mom. The egg exploded! I thought I could submerse it in hydrochloric acid and it wasn’t supposed to explode but it did.’

Zhew put an egg in acid and what then did zhew expect it to do, lie there and suntan? ‘Los Cojones! (This is a milder form of cursing in Spanish). I juuust don’ know anymore. One day I will be lucky to have a roof over my head if zhew don’t stop making portazo’s (bangs) all over the place.’

‘Sorry, mom. I won’t do it again.’

She quietened down. Spoke a little softer. ‘Sjour father’s mother is on her death bed and zhew are trying to keel sjourself. She used to be like a crisp fallen leaf, full of cracking.’

‘There’s no such phrase as full of cracking. It’s crackling.’

She flung her hands into the air, venting her frustration. ‘Of course I know. But zhew get what I mean. Entiendes ! Full of life. Electric energy. Did zhew know she was an aarcheeooolog ist.’

‘You mean an archaeologist.’

Siiiii, they study …I dunno … she told me but it don’ make sense.’

‘They study the past, myths, legends, that kind of thing…gran told me a long time ago. I’d like to discover things. Create a history. I was thinking of studying archaeology myself.’

Si, well, zhew do whatever rocks sjour sticks or something like that. Now clean this place up! Nosotros visitamos a abuela. – We will be visiting your Gran today - And zhew better be ready in fifteen minutes or else zhew don’t got the car this weekend.’

‘Its not sticks ma! It’s boat! Boat. B - o – a – T. And all this bribery will get you … everywhere.’

She popped her head back into the doorway, ‘Zhew theenk zhew are too clever for shjour age. Fifteen minutes.’

‘I’ll beat you to it you still have to make up.’ He raced towards his cupboard and retrieved a pair of jeans and a white button up linen shirt.

‘Never underestimate sjour mother.’ She said, running up the staircase.

He was ready in ten and waiting at the car.

Fifteen minutes. Twenty minutes. Twenty five minutes later, he pressed the hooter. At that moment she appeared at the door, and locked it.

 


 

This was new to him. He disliked watching the frail pass on. It was like watching a history, a culture, a philosophy, disintegrate. The nurse had told the guests to say goodbye without disturbing her. Her breathing was heavy, and all that was keeping her alive was the morphine. Relatives, friends and past enemies, all gathered beside her bed to say their goodbyes. Some cried. Some held her hand a little longer. Some kissed her forehead or cheek.

She had a good life; a conversation overheard.

Everyone should be proud of her.

She worked hard for her children. But it’s time she let go, someone said.

Her breathing normalized. Colour returned to her face and arms and she relaxed. A few minutes later she took a last forced breathe.

The wailing and crying from the sisters and brothers and closer relatives began almost immediately. They hugged and kissed and blew their noses and wiped away the tears.

The undertaker arrived. Then the pastor. They gathered around her body and the pastor convened a prayer session. After prayers, Plato preferred the balcony where a group of people had gathered away from the crying.

He watched his mother make a call, probably to his father who ran the pizza shop. And then she called him aside and led him into a small bedroom.

‘She told me to give zhew theez envelope on the day of her death.’ She handed it over and he read it first to himself.

‘This is not possible.’

‘What is it?’

He gave the document to her.

It was written in Spanish.

 

Plato. How I wish your mama had never given you such a name. I told her don’t do it, she said you are her child and she will give you whatever name she wants. Who am I to argue these things? So, I’m dead. During my life I watched you grow and become a man and just because you like men doesn’t change my love for you. I’ve known for a very long time. You did not have to tell me. But, what I want from you now, is to protect something for me. I know you have a profound interest in archaeology. I miss those days. If you are a brave, honest, pure person, you will find the address written below where the item may be collected. Do not attempt to open it. Whatever you do, resist the temptation to enquire. I emplore you. All I ask, is that you protect it from harm.

I trust you will make the correct decision.”

 

‘This thing doesn’t sound too good. Sjour father won’t allow it. I think zhew should keep it where it is and forget about it.’

‘It’s her last dying wish, mama. I have to do this. I can’t let her down. I’d do the same for you and anyone whom I love.’

‘Then we are all doomed. Do it! Zhew will see what kind of thing zhew will protect? It brought her nothing but misery.’

‘Then why would she ask me to protect it?’

‘If zhew accept this responsibility, zhew will find out.’

 


  

Later on that night, beneath the quiet shine of the stars, he contemplated his decision. He was a logical thinker. One step always led to another. Action and reaction. Subsequence and consequence. It’s the natural flow of human relationships with everything around him. If he were to accept this responsibility, naturally he’ll want to know more about this thing. Whatever this object was, it was his to do with as he pleased, maybe make him a rich man.

On the other hand, if he failed to take on this task, he would be thoroughly disappointed in himself.

In the morning he sneaked out earlier than usual, by foot, and followed the map given with the address highlighted in a bright green.

 

49 Maiden Road

  

Help! Spanish translations may be wrong. (lol) I hope not.
Louis J Harris
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another turn in the story. I await the backfill details to sort out where everything is going. It seems there are lots of disparate element to come together.

 

 

Link to comment
On 08/29/2011 09:50 AM, Daddydavek said:
Another turn in the story. I await the backfill details to sort out where everything is going. It seems there are lots of disparate element to come together.

 

Yup they do come together in the next chapters and then the story shld write itself ... Im hoping lol thx for the read D
Link to comment

Ok you're making me care about this kid, and that is good.

 

You really don't need to translate those words, the translations deter from the reading flow. They are easy to figure out their meaning from the context.

 

Now I'm a bit curious as to where this might be going.

 

Let's see if you can take me there.

 

Happy writing...

 

Lugh

Link to comment
On 09/12/2011 02:20 AM, Lugh said:
Ok you're making me care about this kid, and that is good.

 

You really don't need to translate those words, the translations deter from the reading flow. They are easy to figure out their meaning from the context.

 

Now I'm a bit curious as to where this might be going.

 

Let's see if you can take me there.

 

Happy writing...

 

Lugh

Ok thanks for the review. I actually did ask for an editor and sent the prologue to him for review but no joy. This is a huge undertaking research wise so thank you for the interest you expressed. Good to hve u read my work.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..