Jump to content
    lofie
  • Author
  • 3,395 Words
  • 3,444 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Please enjoy this short-ish story I wrote.
 

Mate me - 1. Wolf in sheeps clothing

I could smell it again. It was sweet, earthy, maybe cinnamon. It was like sunshine warming the earth after a downpour. I wanted to bask in it. The scent was calling out to me. It was stronger this time. I caught a whiff of it last week when I was here in the forest. But it was so faint and delicate It didn’t seem real. This time the aroma was strong, and I never doubted my senses. Whatever it was it beckoned out to me, it smelt like somewhere I belonged. I did the only rational thing I could think of. I followed it. I was alone anyway what was the harm? It was all I could do; the scent was tantalising. It was sweet and tangy a little earthy, definitely rich, so complex so delicious. My mouth watered. This was crazy. I followed the scent to the edge of the forest where there was a clearing and the housing development began. I was on the edge of the backyard of a couple I had seen before around town. They had a son of about 16 or so. Bottom line, I knew their scents and it wasn't the scent that was currently scrambling my brain. Then I heard it, a soft humming coming from the side of the house. Everything clicked into place. My heart flipped. I took a step back as a girl came rounding the corner. I felt a shot through my chest. The source of the scent. I had to know her. It took everything in me to restrain my animal and hold myself back. She was holding an axe over her shoulder. There was a bundle of chopped firewood off to the side. I watched as she picked up a log and centred it on the stump in front of her. Then she brought her arms over her head and powerfully brought the axe down splitting the log in two. My chest was burning. I sat on my haunches and watched her. The air was saturated with her pheromones. The wonderful smell. It lit me up so completely, so thoroughly I almost couldn’t handle it. To be honest I couldn't see much of her features. It was purely her scent that was driving me mad. The lower half of her face was covered by a scarf and she wore a blue knitted toque that sat low on her head. Her coffee coloured hair swirled around her. Every once in awhile she would pause and look up, as if she could sense that I was there. Her eyes were something else, amber in colour and clear. I'd never seen anything like it. I heard a howl in the distance. Pulling me out of this special world I had stumbled into. I turned around. She didn't hear the howl, she had in headphones. When I was far enough away from the house I howled back in response. Who was that?

***

“Thanks for chopping the wood honey.” My mom placed a stack of homemade waffles in front of me. They were topped with whip cream and strawberries. I dug in. I would normally be the only one who would wait for her to sit down before I started eating, but I was ravenous. Chopping wood tends to do that, tire out the body, also my mom was an amazing cook.

“Someone was watching me, I got creeped out.” I said without thinking.

Usually I was a little more guarded around my father especially since he currently hates my guts, but I couldn't help but shiver at the memory of the eerie feeling I felt in the backyard. Every time I looked up there was nothing there, of course the forest is quite thick it's not like I had a clear view. Needless to say, I got myself worked up rather quickly, not that I would ever admit it, I rushed through chopping the wood.

“Who was watching you?” My dad looked up from his paper.

“Maybe it was a g-g-ghost.” Daniel smirked somehow, while chewing.

“I felt someone.” Dad unceremoniously returned to his paper.

“I'll chop the wood from now on if you give me your dessert every night.”

“Deal…” I understood that Daniel was being kind. I was grateful. “I don't know why we had to move here.” I sighed not for the first time. Three years ago, my parents and brother moved here to this small town. Practically in the middle of nowhere. I missed everything about our old place, everything. It was my childhood home in the big city. When my parents decided to move I had already moved out and was in college so I conveniently never made it home to visit. Opting instead to have them visit me, or even spend the holidays with my college friends.

“I don't know why you had to drop out of school.” Dad didn’t bother to look up from his paper.

“Bill!” My mother hardly raised her voice. If I wasn't so annoyed by my father’s snide comment I would have taken the time to process her reaction. I pushed my chair away from the table and stood up. My brother was intensely focused on his plate. “Honey sit down let’s have a nice breakfast.” My mother turned towards me, she would forever be the peace keeper between my father and I.

“Why bother?” I was tired. Every since I dropped out of medical school my dad and I had been having the same argument. I completely understood why he was mad, logically, it didn't make me any less self righteous. It was my life after all. However, he didn't have to be so nasty. He was constantly picking at me and barely looking at me.

“Am I supposed to sit quietly while you throw away your future?” He slammed down his paper and his brown eyes locked with mine. He just couldn't understand, I wasn't throwing my life away I just didn't want the one that was mapped out for me.

“It’s not the life I want.” I struggled to keep my tone even. “Whatever, I'm so done with this argument.” I sounded like a brat and I knew it.

“If you think you can stay under my roof and…” I stormed out before he could finish his sentence. It was obvious to everyone, my days here were numbered.

***

I could still smell her even though I was deep in the woods. I suspected I would smell her all day. Her scent was clear in my mind. I took a deep breath and shivered, not from the cold, even though I was nude. Something wasn't sitting right I couldn't find my clothes I had put them in the hollow of the tree I was currently reaching into. Nothing. Dread seeped through me. I pulled my hand out and scratched my head. I was a little pissed, now I had to replace a fifty-dollar binder. I took another deep breath, the edges of my annoyance softened a little. My memory of her was strong. I licked my lips. Her scent was so palpable. I could just taste it. I groaned.

“Are you okay?” I froze. Fuck. No wonder I could smell her she was right behind me. Fuckity fuck. I am an idiot. So much for my superior senses. I turned around slowly, taking the extra seconds to compose myself. She opened her mouth but said nothing. I remained still, my hands hung by my side as I held back a tremor. I was determined not to be vulnerable, despite my position. I watched her eyes sliding over my body. And then she looked up and my world shifted. This time she wasn’t hidden by a scarf and hat. She had long flowing light brown hair that stopped somewhere down the middle of her back. A dusting of freckles topped her cute button nose. Her puffy pink lips formed an o shape. She wore her classic good looks very casually. “Here, take my coat.” She undid her black pea coat that went all the way down to her ankles. I took a step forward, my limbs were extra awkward in her presence. Just what I need, more awkwardness.

“Thanks.” I mumbled without thinking. I was uncharacteristically nervous. Maybe it was because she was fucking beautiful and her scent was calling to me. There was also a very real possibility I was completely hypnotized right now. I took my time slipping it on and buttoning her coat. My skin was still burning from her direct gaze. I was practically wrapping my body in her scent.

“Why are you naked?” I was taken aback; I had expected a soft sweet lilting voice, Not the throaty intonation that hit me straight in my chest. The hairs on my skin pricked up and I shivered.

“My buddies thought it would be funny to dare me to streak then steal my clothes.” The dare part was a lie, of course. I was just grateful she bought it. Without a moment's hesitation she spoke.

“Come let’s go to my place, I can lend you something to wear.” Not only Beautiful but also kind.

“Thanks.” We walked in silence. Even though I knew the way I let her lead. To my surprise she took the most direct route. She knew the woods better than I expected. I fought the urge to inhale her scent deeply. I had to play it cool even though I was completely floored. She had seen me naked and now we were going back to her place. I must have hit my head and fallen unconscious. Wait, fuck, what was I doing? She had seen me naked and was taking me back to her place. I could feel the little control that I had left slipping from my fingers. I couldn’t go through with this. Her scent was making me want things...impossible things. I’ll just get the clothes, come back to forest, and run home. No big deal, I can do this.

 ***

She stopped suddenly, I had good reflexes so I didn't bump into her. We were at the edge of the forest and her house lay before us.

“My parents are at work and my brother is at school.” She looked down at my bare feet. Then back up at my face. Her eyes settled on mine. A thousand watts of electricity whizzed through my veins. It was so primal. I've never wanted anyone like this before. The sharp smell of arousal permeated the air. My own smell. I thanked the heavens she didn’t have heightened senses. I shifted my weight; I felt a little flustered to say the least.

“You're not a criminal right?” I managed to choke out a soft no. She raised an eyebrow and cocked her head to the side. A rush of blood flowed to the lower half of my body. I could feel my temperature rising. My skin felt hot and itchy, like it does before a full moon. She smiled. It seemed like a knowing smile but I was probably crazy. This was clearly just a dream. What were my intentions with this human? I felt another stirring. “Ready?” I nodded. In my mind, I counted to ten slowly. It was something I did when I felt like I was losing my grip. The house looked like any suburban middle-class house one would see on tv. Hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, ostentatiously large flat screen tv etc. We made it to her room. And I was hit with a wall of her scent. It warmed my skin like the sun rising over the horizon. A low rumble escaped from my throat. She turned and gave me a quizzical look.

“What was that?... Did you say something?” I shook my head. Avoiding her eye as a warm hue coloured my cheeks. I crossed the threshold on shaky legs and entered her room. It was decorated very simply; it didn't really seem lived in. I notice a cork board on the wall that was full of ribbons. She caught my line of sight. She flushed, slightly. I felt another pang. She averted her eyes.

“I'll be right back with some clothes.” She walked a few steps over to the closet door and stepped inside the walk in. I moved closer to the board. It was mostly filled with first and second place ribbons. She ran track. There also were a few photos up of her and her friends. I was scanning the photos when I noticed a Polaroid that was in the centre of the board. Her hair was very short, in fact it was a pixie cut. She had her arm around a guy, who had numerous facial piercings. “That's my ex, Tom.” I was annoyed by the jealous rage I was struggling to smother. I kept my features neutral.

“Your hair was shorter. You look so young.” I said the most obvious thing I could think of. She stood directly behind me. I closed my eyes and inhaled sweet earthy Cinnamon-y scent.

“I was young. That was six years ago.” I opened my eyes and shook my head.

Smiling I turned around. My breath hitched in my throat, we were facing each other and I was struck by a powerful urge to bury my head in the crook of her neck and just inhale.

“You smell really good.” Her mouth formed a sexy little o again. I swallowed.

“Um, thanks, here.” I looked down at the clothes in her outstretched hands. I could feel myself blushing. What's wrong with me? Why did I say that? I took the clothes from her. She probably thinks I’m a freak now.

“Thanks, sorry I, I’m usually not this awkward.” Omg stop talking. She just smiled.

“I'll be back in fifteen.” She left the room. I sighed. Keep it together Riley.

I took off her coat and threw it on the bed. Luckily, she had brought me baggy sweat pants and an oversized white t-shirt. I quickly put them on. This didn't seem like anything she would wear ever but they did smell like her. Now I smelt like her. The longer I wore her clothes the foggier and foggier my mind was becoming. I could barely concentrate on anything other than my desire to touch her and taste her neck. My canines tingled. Yea, I wanted to mark her like she was mine. I stood in the middle of her room waiting uncomfortably for her to come back. I wanted to lay on her bed and wrap myself up in her sheets, roll around and maybe bury my head in her pillow and inhale...deeply. The door opened.

“Oh good you're ready... sorry I forgot to knock.” I grunted. I had temporarily forgotten how to speak. Probably for the best I might tell her just how much I wanted her. She motioned for the door.

“Let's go.” She jingled her keys. I froze. This was not what I planned.

“It’s ok, I’ll walk.” More like run as soon as I could shed these clothes. I felt a twinge of guilt at the thought of dropping her charity.

“No. Sorry.” She shook her head. “I can’t in good conscience let you walk home. You have no shoes. She had given me the pair of socks I wore on my feet. Even though it was fall and the temperature was around 56 degrees Fahrenheit, and I was shoeless I wasn’t cold in the least. Us shifters never felt the cold, even in our human skin.

“Seriously it’s not a problem.”

“Okay...what’s your name?”

“Riley.”

“Hi Riley I’m Jacs.” She gave a slight wave, I smiled. “This is not an argument you’re winning.” I sighed. I wanted to be around her longer but I wasn’t sure It was a good idea. Her scent alone was driving me mad not to mention her smile, her voice, her appearance. I was practically crawling out of my skin.

“Fine.” I relented. She smiled. Giving in to her felt so easy, so natural.

“Good, you’ll find I usually get my way.” I stifled a shivered. I was probably coming off like a total moron but I didn't know how to be myself and not act on my feelings. I followed her out to her car. I smiled when we stopped at a lollipop red Volkswagen Beetle.

“Cute car.”

“I love him.” I got in the passenger seat. I almost passed out, her scent was super concentrated in such a small space.

“Him?”

“Yes this car has a very masculine energy don't you think?” No. I didn't know what she was talking about. “So, where do you live?” I rattled off my address and she punched it into the gps. I was only ten minutes away by car, in a neighbourhood not as good as this one. She slowly pulled out of the driveway then all hell broke loose. She was all fast and unhinged with the steering wheel. I was a little terrified that we would get hit. I didn’t trust cars. Or even worse I didn't like getting pulled over. My hands gripped the soft leather seats. Camel coloured leather to be exact. This car was luxurious.

***

I lived with my uncle in a rougher part of town, where you would occasionally see a car without wheels propped up on cinder blocks. Of course, l wouldn’t expect to see her anywhere near my neighbourhood. She didn’t even know where it was. I was curious about her, I wanted to know why I had never seen her before. She just appeared out of nowhere. I’ve been living in this town for three years now I would have noticed her.

“This is kind of a weird question, I guess,” She smiled then bit her bottom lip.

“I like weird questions.”

“We don’t live too far from each other and I go jogging all the time in the woods by your place.”

“That doesn’t sound like a question.” I was trying my best to do this right. I approached the subject like one would a skittish deer.

“Why is it I’ve never seen you before?”

“Do you know everyone in town?”

“No, but like I said I jog a lot in your neighbourhood, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen your brother before.” I would’ve sensed her I know I would have could I be that blind? She looked at me for longer than I would’ve liked, especially while driving.

“Okay well, my family moved here about three years ago, and all that time I was away at school in Washington. I’ve only been living here for two weeks.” I nodded satisfied with her answer. It was about two weeks ago when I first noticed the scent wafting through the forest trees. She pulled into my driveway.

“So, do you like it?”

“Like what?”

“Like living here?”

“No, not really.” She undid her seatbelt and turned to face me.

“Why not?”

“It's too open, everything is so far away, there's no nightlife, the towns too small I miss the city, there aren't enough young people, we live in the Bible Belt, I don't know anyone here and the grocery stores around here don't carry any national brands. It's like, It’s like I'm back in the 70’s.” She said all in one breath then blushed.

“You know me.”

“The only thing I know about you is you like to streak in the woods.”

“And my name and for the record streaking not my usual thing.” She smiled and her eyes twinkled.

“Yes, Riley I know your name.” It was so sexy, the way her deep voice hugged the syllables that made up my name.

“You can also have my number, I can show you around, as a thank you for loaning me your clothes and bringing me home.” I was quick to add. Smooth real smooth.

“Okay.” She handed me her phone and I punched in my number. My phone was in my jeans pocket, hopefully it was still there wherever they were.

“Thanks for everything.” I reluctantly undid my seatbelt, opened the car door and got out.

“Don’t mention it Riley.” She looked up at me through long, thick, dark lashes, that contrasted nicely with her lighter eye colour. I was a total goner.

Copyright © 2019 lofie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..