Jump to content
    Mac Rountree
  • Author
  • 1,473 Words
  • 2,786 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Keep Me As An Apple of Your Eye - 15. December 15

Sunday, December 15

Gaudete Sunday

The Light of Joy

 

Stir up your power, O Lord, and with great might come among us;

and, because we are sorely hindered by our sins,

let your bountiful grace and mercy speedily help and deliver us.

Episcopal Book of Common Prayer

 

 

“I have everything ready for when we return home.”

“What is happening? Return home from where?”

Todd got a pillow and hit Erick across the head. Luckily, he was sleeping on his stomach and the pillow hit the back of his head.

“Get up. Today is Stir Up Sunday.” Todd was pulling the covers back and exposed the back side of his lover.

“And what trouble are you stirring up today?”

“Ha, good one my boyfriend. Today we are stirring up a plum pudding.”

“Do you even know how to make a plum pudding?”

“Nope, so it will take both of us to make this happen.”

Erick gave Todd a pointed look that spoke volumes without him saying a word. Erick was getting used to the wonderful mystery of living with Todd. Todd was so willing to step into the unknown. In many ways, Todd enjoyed taking on new tasks and he could be fearless. Todd was so trusting of Erick and their life together. Erick had made their lives easy because he was caring and flexible to Todd’s whims. Todd was constantly working to create memories of their life together. Erick’s family was wary of creating memories afraid they would be ripped away. He took a deep breath every time that Todd talked about the memories they were creating that they would one day share with their children. They were so different yet they fit together so well.

“Okay, my lover man. Does the wedding last night count for Sabbath so we don’t have to go to church this morning?”

Todd acted like he was horrified at the mere thought.

“Today is Rose Sunday. Also known as Gaudete Sunday. Also known as Stir-Up Sunday. We have to be there for the lighting of the Joy candle.”

“Why three names? Couldn’t the church fathers make up their minds?” Erick got an evil grin on his face. “Of course, I somehow knew it was different than every other day in Advent. Each day is special in its own way and we cannot ignore any of them.”

Todd looked at Erick and gave him the stink eye. “You are now being sarcastic on Sunday. Do you know what God does to you when you are sarcastic on Sunday?”

“No, I am sure there is some Christian proverb about it. Bring it on. Let me have it.”

Todd stood there for a moment and then started smiling. “Actually, I have no idea. Let’s get ready. I have pink bowties for us to wear today. We need to match the vestments.”

Erick rolled his eyes before he rolled out of bed.

When they arrived at Bruton Parish they were surprised to find Tayloe and Eron standing by the door waiting for them. They were wearing pink bow ties. Several people commented on the fact that all four men were wearing pink bow ties. They smiled in return. Todd beamed when the rose candle was lit in the Advent wreath. The Reynold’s boys were so tickled about the plethora of pink bow ties they couldn’t stop giggling all through the service. All it would take was for one of the boys to flick his bow tie and they would start giggling again. They were acting like pre-adolescent boys and were having a great time. Erick smiled and thought, ‘so much for a meaningful service’. However, he knew that deep down that this was important to Todd and if it was important to Todd then it was for him also.

Lunch was a simple salad at the apartment. They had decided they had eaten too much at the feast the night before. Yonatan and Matan had spent a lot of money to entertain everyone in first class style. Based on what Yonatan had said about his father-in-law, there would be words about his spend thrift manner. Matan said he was only getting hitched once in his life and it was worth it. Yonatan had told Erick that Matan was in charge of planning their commitment ceremony and whatever Matan wanted, he got. He said he would rather have a fight with Herbert than a fight with Matan. That made sense to Erick.

After lunch, Eron said he needed to get back to Washington and Tayloe said he was having dinner with his parents that night and needed to leave so he could take a nap before dinner. They left after hugs and kisses.

The salad plates were put in the dishwasher and Todd started getting out ingredients and more ingredients and then even more ingredients.

“I thought you said this was a plum pudding. Plums and pudding. That is simple. What is all of this for?”

“Well, it actually isn’t quite a plum pudding or should I say it is an enhanced plum pudding.”

“Okay, where are the plums?”

“Well, I don’t like plums so I use other things.”

Erick gave Todd a bemused look and thought it was useless to go down that pathway.

“I will be the sous chef. Tell me what you need for me to do.”

Todd gave Erick the task of chopping a variety of dried fruits, fresh fruits and nuts. After Erick had finished Todd gave him a bottle of scotch and told him to liberally drown the fruit.

“I don’t want one raisin left alive. Drown those fruits. Nooooo, you are not supposed to be drinking the Plum Pudding Scotch. Put that bottle down.” Erick gave a huge smile as Todd took the liquor bottle out of his hands and put the cap back on.

“Now stir the fruit and liquor. Remember this is Stir-Up Sunday.”

Todd was sifting the flour while directing Erick’s work at the same time and a fine sheen of flour now covered several surfaces. Erick laughed at Todd because he had flour down the front of his shirt and on his arms. Erick also noticed that five different bowls contained different parts of the cake.

“Now we come to the most important part of preparation. All of this has to be stirred together in a very specific order….only I can’t remember the order.”

Erick laughed at what he thought was silliness.

“It has to be folded together in a certain way or the cake won’t rise properly. Hmm, let me try to remember.”

Todd stood by the large mixing bowl filled with the drowned fruit and then gave Erick specific instructions for adding the other ingredients while he stirred.

“I bet there is a Stir-Up Sunday song. If I knew it, we could sing while we are doing this.”

Erick again thought Todd was bollocks but decided to play along with his partner.

Finally, the batter was in the pan and Erick said they needed to clean the kitchen and take a shower. They did and then went directly to their bed. Erick found he could stir Todd in a particular way and the man was like putty in his hands. They were in the height of lovemaking when the timer chimed on the oven.

“Five more minutes. Five more minutes. Oh yes, oh my sweet man, yes.” They made good use of the five minutes. They jumped from the bed and ran into the kitchen expecting to see smoke roiling from the oven. Instead, they opened the door and Todd decided it needed to cook for ten more minutes. They hopped in the shower again and quickly removed all signs of their love making.

The pudding came out of the oven and Todd declared it was beautiful and needed to sit in the pan for another hour before they took it out. It smelled heavenly and redolent of chocolate. Erick was trying to smell the Scotch.

It was soon dinnertime and again they ate sparingly. Todd then started the process of un-panning the pudding, plating it, soaking it with Scotch and then wrapping it until Christmas Eve.

It had been a fun filled day and they were tired from their busy weekend. Todd was about to say they needed to rest for classes the next day when he realized that his classes were over for the semester.

“After a couple more exams we’re on vacation. Two weeks without classes. This is incredible.”

They sat in the living room talking about the possibilities of day trips. They avoided talking about Eron and Tayloe because neither knew what to say and didn’t want to stir up any trouble.

 

Suggested Music:

“Lo He Comes with Clouds Descending”

King’s College Choir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYf4W5Fy_2w

 

 

Copyright © 2019 Mac Rountree; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 hours ago, Job said:

It is the first time I hear this hymn, I like it very much.

Job,

It is a very Episcoplian/Anglican hymn for Advent.  

Mac

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..