Jump to content
    Mac Rountree
  • Author
  • 2,865 Words
  • 1,079 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Keep Me As An Apple of Your Eye - 14. December 14

Yonatan and Matan celebrate their commitment ceremony. A joyous day for all.

Saturday, December 14

The Light of Love

 

John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should

share with the one who has none,

and anyone who has food should do the same.”

Luke 3: 11

 

The day started quiet enough as Todd slept in and Erick sat at the dining room table grading papers. It was Saturday morning and for Erick that meant it was still Shabbat. They were still recovering from the dinner party the night before. Most Saturdays were relatively quiet unless there was a home football game and then they were at Zable Football Stadium to watch the W&M Tribe play. The football season was over, classes had ended and exams were in the process and as long as they stayed away from the historic district their lives were quiet.

Todd walked into the dining room in just his briefs. Erick drew a breath. He was always in wonder when he saw Todd naked, or nearly naked. He thought him the most handsome man he had ever met. Todd thought the same of Erick. Erick smiled, looked at Todd and told him he needed a kiss. By the time the kiss had ended the men were on the floor in the dining room making love. Their heavy breathing turned into soft whimpers of endearments as they felt fulfilled. They felt blessed that they had found each other.

Erick had almost fallen asleep when Todd jumped up.

“Up off the floor, old man. We need to get ready for lunch because we have a very busy afternoon.”

“I was grading papers. You distracted me so it will take a few minutes longer to finish. My students are chomping at the bit for their grades. I can’t tell them having the most remarkable sex with the most beautiful man in the world is the excuse I have for not finishing.”

They kissed once more before Todd said he was going to take a shower…..alone….unless someone wanted to join him. Erick grinned and said the students could wait for their grades. Todd smiled knowing that he had the magic touch with his partner. After getting dressed they drove to Merchant Square where they luckily found a parking space. The area was busy with Christmas shoppers. They met Tayloe and Eron and the four of them ate a wonderful meal at The Blue Talon. It was pricey for a Saturday lunch but Todd decided to splurge and pick up the check for all. Afterwards, they crossed the intersection of Jamestown and Richmond Roads and walked up to the Wren Chapel at the college. The Chapel was still open to the public for the day. The chapel was one of the oldest buildings on the campus and had been designed by Christopher Wren and constructed in 1695. Erick was concerned that it was too Christian but after looking inside he felt it was the perfect place. He made sure that everything would be in place for the commitment ceremony later in the day. He had promised Yonatan that he would do this. Poor Yonatan was a nervous wreck. After looking over the chapel, the couples split and went their separate ways. Eron and Tayloe were like little boys as they set out to explore more of the historic district. They said they also wanted to make sure that Jeremiah’s clothes were going to be ready for the ceremony.

Just after the sun had set, people starting arriving for the service. Erick and Todd had arrived earlier to make sure the Chapel was ready. They had agreed to be ushers and waited for people to appear. Erick saw four men walking up the sidewalk with a Chuppah. He then realized it was three men and a woman. Ayal was carrying poles and Zeke had the Chuppah in his arms. Martine, a co-worker of Matan’s from the museum, had given friends squares of fabric and told them to write, draw or paint on the square what Yonatan and Matan meant in their lives. Martine had then sewn them together to make the Chuppah and after the commitment ceremony she would then take the Chuppah and make a quilt for their bed. They all wanted to make sure they knew where to stand and that the poles would fit in the space. Lester was carrying a handsaw in case the poles needed to be lowered. He laughed saying that he was a good Boy Scout and was always prepared. Todd snickered because he had given Yonatan height information at least ten times. The three men were wearing tuxedos and all had on kippahs. Martine had decided she would wear the same as did Todd and Erick. Todd had started wearing a kippah at home and said it now felt normal for him to have it on. After everyone was comfortable with what they had to do, they sat and chatted among themselves.

Slowly, the chapel began to fill with people. Some were wearing kippahs and some were not. Dr. Antonucci arrived and asked where he was to stand for the ceremony. Erick explained the layout for him and asked if he was comfortable.

“Not really. I am a good Roman Catholic but I have read about Jewish weddings and I think we will be okay. There are a few differences but we will do this and nobody will know if I screw up.”

“We will,” said Zeke, “but we won’t tell.” Everyone laughed. Ayal handed Dr. Antonucci a kippah to wear.

“You may be Roman Catholic but tonight you are Jewish.”

The candles were lit in all of the windows as the bulbs in the chandelier were dimmed.

Music started and everyone realized they needed to settle in and be prepared for beautiful sounds from the historic English chamber organ. Andrew Finkelstein was playing the organ and people anticipated hearing his expertise at the keyboard. He was a bit of a show off and enjoyed grabbing people’s attention by his selections. He did not believe in quiet sedate music before a wedding. He thought of it as a ballgame and was winding the crowd up for the first pitch. Then a young man who was a friend of Pate and Timmy’s stepped forward and started singing. Matthew was handsome with a leonine mass of blond hair, a deep tan and a bullish build. As soon as he opened his mouth people were swooning. He sang like an angel. Finkelstein pulled his theatrics back and was the perfect accompanist.

A man dressed all in black appeared at the chapel door where Erick and Todd were standing. He nodded to them and asked if everything was ready. Erick said they were ready for Yonatan and Matan to arrive. The man looked at those gathered, spoke into a transmitter and then a car pulled to the curb. Yonatan and Matan got out of the car followed by Matan’s parents. Two security guards escorted them to the door and handed them off to the man dressed in black. Andrew Finkelstein was given the cue and he started playing Handel’s “Arrival of the Queen of Sheba.” The windows were rattling when he finished. Matan grinned from ear to ear at the sheer brilliance of the music.

The four tried to walk up the aisle side by side. Matan started giggling which led to laughter on Yonatan’s part. The aisle wasn’t wide enough. As they approached the dais the Chuppah had been raised and was waiting for them. Dr. Antonucci was leading the service which was a combination of Jewish and Christian traditions. Todd was tearful as he watched the two men circle each other seven times. He thought of the Paso Doble. It also was like a weaving together of who they were as a couple. Yonatan could not help himself and would kiss Matan each time he circled him. Matan laughed and then started doing the same. It was filled with love and many couples in the congregation started holding hands. Todd was quietly sniffling wondering whether he and Erick would ever be able to have a ceremony. Erick put his arm across Todd’s shoulder to steady him. After the seventh turn Yonatan and Matan hugged each other and stepped under the Chuppah. Dr. Antonucci continued the service and both Yonatan and Matan affirmed their love for each other and they exchanged rings. Then they sat with the Jenners on either side of the altar.

Dr. Antonucci read sacred scripture and then a large man stood from his seat and said that he had been asked to read poems that were special to Yonatan and Matan. Mr. Fish read the Whitman poem, “We Two Boys Together Clinging,” that Matan had given to Yonatan on their first trip to Paris. He then read the Cavafy poem, “Ithaka.” His voice quivered a little while reading the poem about seeking life’s adventures. Everyone sat in silence when he finished. Yonatan had known that Mr. Fish’s theatrical training would be well served in reading the poems.

Erick walked up the aisle and stepped onto the dais. He announced that Yonatan had written the Ketubah, a contract of their relationship, that he, Erick, had been commanded to read to the congregation. He said that Matan had agreed to all the terms of the agreement. Erick started reading and people were listening to Yonatan’s wish to always be with Matan as he felt it was the will of the Creator of the Universe. Matan had promised the same. Many people were nodding in agreement. There were several more sentences about their mutual love and respect for the other. Yonatan then included promises to their unborn children and children’s children. He was setting forth financial trusts for future generations. Herbert was smiling and grabbed Judy’s hand.

Erick caught his breath. He had seen several drafts of the document but there was new information included that he had not seen. He wanted to make sure he was reading everything correctly. Erick announced the formation of the Herbert and Judith Jenner Foundation with a gift of $10 million dollars to assist young LGBT families in Israel. Matan Jenner-Ward was the sole trustee and decision maker about how those funds were to be used. Herbert and Judy gasped in delight when they heard this. Members of the LGBT group at W&M were so awed by the bequest that they stood, applauded and cheered. They didn’t know if it was proper but they didn’t care. Everyone in the congregation was smiling.

Erick then announced that a Jenner-Ward Foundation would award LGBT research grants for law students studying international laws impacting LGBT families. He named Max Lambert and Ayal Blacyal as the trustees. The foundation would also fund services to needy LGBT youth in Hampton Roads. It was obvious that neither Max nor Ayal knew about this gift. They were pleased. Again, the LGBT group stood and applauded. This time there were many tears as couples hugged and kissed.

A gift of $1 million was being made to Camp Falls because it was the camp where Yonatan and Matan had met and fallen in love. The Boy Scouts who were in attendance whooped and hollered. Mr. Fish led the cheers. Everyone laughed with them and their enthusiasm. They were rather boisterous. They felt like they were in competition with the LGBT group for cheering and wanted to not only match their enthusiasm but to better it.

Finally, there was a gift from Yonatan to Matan of all of his worldly goods, his heart, and his soul. Matan grabbed Yonatan and kissed him in front of everyone. People in the congregation had tears in their eyes.

Erick then asked Yonatan, Matan and Todd to come forward and the four men signed the document in front of everyone.

“So it is written. So let it be.” Erick held up the beautiful document for all to see. Yonatan had found a calligrapher who memorialized the document on sheepskin in beautiful script and painted symbols of gold, red, blue, yellow, green and black around the border. It was to be framed and hung in their home. People stood and applauded.

Dr. Antonucci started saying the seven blessings. He had worked diligently on how to pronounce the words in Hebrew and members of the congregation would nod and smile when he stumbled on some of the words. They were forgiving because he was trying so hard to pronounce everything correctly. At one point he looked panicked and Abraham Jenner stood and together they read the blessings. The blessings began with an understanding that the Creator was reflected in everything in life and concluded with the awareness that the Divine was celebrated in Yonatan and Matan’s commitment of love. Ayal put two glasses on the floor and both men stomped them.

Cries of “Mazel Tov” filled the chapel. Again, everyone stood and were full throated in their good wishes.

All of a sudden, in a surprise to everyone in the Chapel, Lester called out, “Scouts, attention. Salute.” They all saluted and then started snapping their fingers and whistling the Colonel Bogey March. Most people did not know what the scouts were up to, but Yonatan and Matan saluted them with tears running down their faces. It didn’t matter that Yonatan and Matan were taking a break from scouting, these fellows considered them part of their lives and wanted to honor them.

Andrew Finkelstein then played the Charles-Marie Widor Toccata from the 5th Symphony for the recessional. People stood in awe at his gifted playing and the festival beauty of the music. Matan and Yonatan stopped inside the chapel doors to hear the entire piece. There was even more cheering when it finished with the entire building shivering from the echoes of the last notes. It has taxed the chamber organ but Andrew had done a remarkable job in adapting it. It had been a joyous ceremony.

Todd and Erick were the last to leave the Chapel before heading to the Williamsburg Lodge. Tayloe and Eron said they would save them seats. The dinner was already underway so Todd and Erick were thankful to their brothers. Todd would not let loose of Erick’s hand. Tim, Black and Jeremiah were in the other seats. Jeremiah looked amazingly handsome in his new clothes.

“I need to eat, darling.” Erick looked into Todd’s eyes.

“When did you start using the word darling? You are starting to sound southern like me.” Todd grinned at his partner. After kissing, they loosened their hands so they could eat the excellent meal that had been served. Thankfully, the complex had a kosher kitchen to prepare the meals as many of the attendees were Jewish.

Todd joined Erick in a slow dance and then Erick danced them out of the room, across the foyer and outside the building.

“We need to go home. It has been a long day. We still need to celebrate the fourteenth day of Advent.” They drove to the apartment in silence. Again, Todd held Erick’s hand and did not want to let go.

“Unless you are going to crawl over the console you need to let me loose so that we can get out of the car and into the house.” Erick chuckled as he looked at Todd. He saw a man in love. Completely in love.

They walked in and went directly to the dining room. They sat and then Todd said a prayer before lighting two purple candles. He asked Erick to read the scripture for the day. The two men never looked at the scripture until it was time for the reading. There was no preparation, no pre-knowledge of what to say or how to react. They were both hearing the Advent reading for the first time that night. Erick finished the reading from the Gospel of Luke and shook his head.

“They gave more than two shirts tonight. They gave us more than just food. They gave of their wealth, talent, and heart. It was so freely shared and they did not make a big deal of it. I didn’t know about that part of the contract. They decided between the two of them and in their own way announced it to those they loved. I was going to say no hoopla, no big news announcement, no shouting from the roof tops but I think there was hoopla and shouting from the rooftops tonight. But most important, it was so freely and lovingly given.”

Todd said the wedding was the embodiment of the reading. He looked at Erick and said, “Whatever I own is yours. Whatever food we have is for both of us. I give you my all.” He asked Erick to sing the prayer for them to finish. Erick stood and moved around to Todd. Todd stood also and was wrapped in Erick’s arms as he sang. They would share everything they had between each other and then they would give to those in need.

 

Suggested Music:

“Arrival of the Queen of Sheba”

Composer: George Frederick Handel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey_8VSD7fgc&list=RDey_8VSD7fgc&start_radio=1

 

“Toccata from 5th Symphony”

Composer: Charles-Marie Widor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mI34p5232c

 

Copyright © 2019 Mac Rountree; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, mfa607 said:

Beautiful chapter, Mac.  Thanks!

Thanks,  mfa07.  

I also got to identify two of my favorite pieces of music for weddings.

Mac

  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Canuk said:

Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between a "kippah" and a "yarmulke"?

Thanks!

Canuk,

They are the same thing. Most people know the term yarmulke and not kippah.  

Mac

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love Widor's Tocata, I know the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba it is not one of my favorites. Indeed, a great and moving chapter.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Job said:

I love Widor's Tocata, I know the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba it is not one of my favorites. Indeed, a great and moving chapter.

Job,

I listen to the Widor quite often.  A few years ago I found myself at St. Paul's in London and a Sunday morning.  The organist played it as a postlude.  I stood under the dome and listened.  Immensely pleasurable.  

Glad you like the story of the gang.

Mac

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..