Jump to content
    Mac Rountree
  • Author
  • 4,355 Words
  • 1,230 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Keep Me As An Apple of Your Eye - 12. December 12

Jeremiah is offered assistance so he doesn't have to live on the street. Will he accept the help?

Thursday, December 12

The Light of Love

 

He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets prisoners free, the Lord gives sight to the blind,
the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down, the Lord loves the righteous.
The Lord watches over the foreigner and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.

Psalm 146

 

A hand reached out and slapped the alarm clock at 4:15. Erick’s brain was screaming that it was too early to get up. He then felt a hand grab his erection.

“Wakey, wakey, snakey, snakey.”

Erick chuckled at Todd’s silly sayings.

“We need to shower and get everything organized that we will need for school. We will not have time to come back here after fixing breakfast for everyone. We will eat breakfast at the shelter.”

“I need coffee.”

“At the shelter.”

“Nope: shower, coffee, dress and then shelter.”

Todd chuckled and knew that Erick was right. Without coffee neither of them functioned that well. He threw back the covers, jumped from the bed, grabbed Ericks arm and pulled him to the shower.

“Let me turn on the coffee pot while the water gets hot in the shower.”

They left the apartment with their dress clothes on hangers. They decided they would dress at the shelter after cooking and serving breakfast. The overnight volunteer, Clyde, let them in the door and they quietly made their way to the kitchen. It was an easier task that they had first assumed. Breakfast was coffee with lots and lots of sugar, sweet rolls, fruit juice, grilled sausages and boiled eggs. They also prepared lunch bags for everyone. Those were easy and Erick lined up the bags. In each one he put a piece of fruit, a juice box, a sweet roll and a sandwich that he had assembled. Baloney and mustard on white bread. Erick wanted to throw up at the thought of eating such a sandwich.

Clyde had turned on the lights and the men were filing down the hallway to the bathroom. This would take a while as the men needed to take their morning piss, wash their faces, brush their teeth and comb their hair. Most were still in their underwear. Erick noticed that Jeremiah was fully dressed when he walked down the hall.

There was a knock at the outside door and Clyde went to see who it was. Two men were standing there asking for Erick and Todd. Clyde assumed they were there to help and let the men into the building. Black and Tim walked into the kitchen. They were all smiles.

“It smells good in here this morning. What are you cooking? Sausage and eggs? Mmmm, I am so glad we didn’t stop at McDonalds when we can eat here.”

They were all laughing as they filled coffee cups and enjoyed a minute of camaraderie.

“Tell us about the boy. Is his name Jeremiah?”

Erick told them what he knew. Black looked out the serving window and immediately identified the handsome young man.

“He is a looker.”

“Yes, with the mouth of a street walker.”

“Tim and I are here to help. What needs to be done?”

After instructions, they walked into the dining room and helped stow the cots and made a pile of blankets that would be put through a drier that day. If there were any bugs in the blankets, the heat in the drier would kill them. They gravitated toward Jeremiah who was walking around in his sock feet. Black and Tim were not overt in their affection for each other but made sure that Jeremiah saw them as a couple. Jeremiah’s gaydar worked like a heat seeking missile. He immediately was by their sides and asked who they were. They introduced themselves and asked if they could eat breakfast together. Jeremiah realized they had a purpose for being there and that he was the reason. He swallowed hard and nodded his head.

Rebecca and Arlene were not present for the breakfast so Erick stepped forward and offered a simple grace for the meal. Todd let everyone know it was turkey sausage for those who had an allergic reaction to pork. Both men were wearing their kippahs. Several men asked why they were wearing funny hats. Todd responded it was part of their religion and that seemed to satisfy.

Jeremiah had gotten a sweet roll and a cup of coffee. Black looked at him and asked about the rest of his breakfast. Jeremiah said he didn’t like breakfast food and besides it was too damned early in the morning. Black rose from his seat, walked to the serving line and told them to fix a plate for Jeremiah. Black returned to the table and set the plate in front of Jeremiah.

“Every bite. Hear me.”

Jeremiah looked at the two men and started to pout. Tim chuckled. Black allowed as how that pout did not pull at his heart strings. Jeremiah took the first bite and had a surprised look on his face.

“This is good.” He then plowed through the plate of food. He went back to the serving line to ask if there were seconds. He also grabbed his lunch bag while he was there. He returned to the table and sat the bag a few inches from his plate.

“What’s in the bag?”

“Lunch. They give us a bag lunch each day which is really nice of them.”

“Why don’t you let Tim and me take you to lunch?”

Jeremiah looked at the men trying to decide whether he could trust them. The man, Black, was intimidating as hell though his right arm was in a sling.

“How did you hurt yourself?”

“I tripped over my two clumsy feet, fell and broke my arm?”

“Really? Are you that clumsy?” He looked at Tim for verification. Tim nodded his head.

“Yep, you should always look where you are going and who may be in the way.”

“Well, I have a chipped tooth because I fell and hit my mouth.” Jeremiah used his finger and pulled his lip to the side so they could see his tooth. They asked him how he did that? Jeremiah looked at the table top and said he couldn’t remember. Black and Tim both knew that Jeremiah remembered but did not want to talk about it. That opened the door for further conversation. They quietly chatted while the dining room emptied.

Erick and Todd were standing in front of them dressed in their grey suits. Their bow ties were perfect. Jeremiah’s mouth fell open.

“Are you guys lawyers of something?”

“Nope, do you need a lawyer?”

“Yep, I want my stuff and my parents said they paid for it and it didn’t belong to me.” Jeremiah’s eyes teared up.

Todd grabbed an ink pen from his inside jacket pocket and wrote a telephone number on a piece of paper for Black. “Call Tayloe and ask him how to make this work. Tayloe is my brother and he is a lawyer. We have to go. Final exams are about to start. Call me tonight and let me know how this turns out. See you on Friday night.”

It seemed natural that Jeremiah followed Black and Tim to the parking lot. When he saw the black Chevy Tahoe, he stalled.

“Are you guy’s the police or something?”

“Nope, we are here to help a young man who needs assistance. That is, if you will let us.”

They got in the Tahoe and Black called the number given to him by Todd. He told a secretary who he was and that he had an emergency situation that involved Todd and needed to speak to Mr. Reynolds immediately.

“Todd, what’s wrong? Are you okay?” Tayloe’s voice was filled with urgency.

“Mr. Reynolds, my name is Black. I work for Yonatan and Matan Jenner-Ward. Your brother, Todd, gave me your telephone number. We have a young man with us who needs some legal advice. We are on speaker phone. Do you have time to answer a few questions we have?”

“Did you say my brother, Todd, gave you my number?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Do I know you?”

“Well, we have not been introduced but I have seen you when Yonatan and Matan Jenner-Ward were with Erick and Todd.”

Tayloe remembered a shadowy figure who was always just a few feet away. It was only because he was paying such scrupulous attention that Tayloe recognized him as their security guard. Tayloe took a deep breath and said he only had a few minutes before a conference call so they should proceed with all due speed. Jeremiah told him the story of his parents kicking him out of the house three weeks prior. His parents had found out he was gay and were furious. There were questions and answers back and forth.

“Listen, I am due in another meeting but this needs my immediate attention. So, let me quickly talk through the steps I want you to take. You are to call me as soon as you complete them. If there is any trouble, and I mean any trouble, you are call me immediately. If there is adverse police interaction you are to call me and not talk to them until I can get to Newport News. Jeremiah, do you accept me as your attorney? You have to agree to that so I can help you.”

“Yes sir. Only I don’t know how I am going to pay you. I don’t have any money.”

“Let’s not worry about the payment. I want you to be safe. I need for you to do one more thing for me. Whatever Black tells you to do, I want you to do it. Okay?”

Jeremiah agreed.

Tayloe figured that Yonatan and Matan had asked Black to help and if they trusted him so would he. Tayloe ended the call and thought he had probably done the most important legal work he would do all day. Off he went to do battle for the Titans of Wall Street. That’s what paid the bills. He decided that he needed to call Eron who might have more experience in this type of case.

Tim had been meticulous in taking notes from the conversation.

A major problem was that Jeremiah was a minor. Black drove them directly to the courthouse where Jeremiah filed paperwork for emancipation. He cited physical abuse and that he had a broken tooth as a result. He listed Tayloe Reynolds as his legal counsel. Social Services was immediately called and they were told a case worker, Tina Jeffries, was already in the courthouse. Tim had requested that he be the foster parent until this was resolved. While they were filling out the paperwork two men in suits walked up and introduced themselves. They were from a law firm in Norfolk and a Mr. Cohen had directed them to provide assistance. Just as they finished introductions two more lawyers walked up. They were from Richmond and Tayloe Reynolds had sent them to come provide assistance, as needed.

Tina Jeffries was totally baffled that the young man had four high-powered attorneys representing him. This was not standard protocol when dealing with a homeless youth; hell, she was constantly badgering the court to cover legal costs for an attorney to represent the kids she worked with. She saw that her life could possibly be easier. She had Tim complete all of the paperwork to be a foster parent and if the judge granted temporary approval and everything checked out, she would let Jeremiah go home with Tim, pending a full review. It was early afternoon before they went into the courtroom. The woman judge was taken aback by this young man who was lawyered up. The lawyers introduced themselves as they were not known to the family and juvenile court in Newport News.

“Gentlemen, this is highly unusual. Who is the lead attorney?”

“Your honor, my name is Brandon James and I am taking the lead on this case.”

He then explained the situation and that Jeremiah Lipscomb was requesting emancipation at the time of his sixteenth birthday and also that Tim Sturdevant was requesting to become a foster parent during the interim time and that he was prepared for it to remain in effect for a longer period if emancipation was not approved.

The judge heard from Tina Jeffries who was prepared to allow Tim to be a foster parent. She talked about Tim’s background, his business acumen, and his financial ability to support Jeremiah.

The judge was not happy. She indicated for Mr. James to stand.

“Mr. James, I am used to attorneys representing clients in my court to understand family law. You obviously do not. I am not criticizing you because we all specialized when we went to law school. However, if you are going to continue to represent Mr. Lipscomb, I suggest you review Virginia law and be prepared to fully represent him and know what is allowed and not allowed under the law. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, your honor. We were called this morning and did not want this young man to be here without representation. I promise I will be prepared when I return”

Judge Williams smiled and asked Jeremiah to stand.

“Mr. Lipscomb, it is apparent that your lawyers do not know family law in the State of Virginia. I am not discounting their knowledge but it is obvious that they work in corporate law. However, I am going to go along with this because it seems that you have some powerful, wealthy people who are willing to help you.” She took a deep breath and looked down at the documents in front of her. “I cannot approve Tim Sturdevant as your foster parent. The state requires training and certification and he has neither. I trust Ms. Jeffries, your social worker, when she says that she believes everything will work out and he will be approved. I can’t deal with the future possibilities but the present day reality. I also cannot approve your request for emancipation. You have not demonstrated any means to support yourself. You have been living on the street and that is not a viable pathway to independence. I would be doing you a disservice if I granted emancipation no matter what horrible things your parents did to you.”

Jeremiah slumped and the attorney grabbed him and held him up. Tears were running down his face. Tim leaned over the rail and handed him a handkerchief. He too was crying.

“Mr. Sturdevant, would you please stand?”

Tim did as the judge requested.

“I am going to appoint you guardian for the next thirty days. During that time, the social services department will conduct inspections of your house, will have interviews with you and Jeremiah and will talk with your list of references. In the meantime, if anything, and I mean anything untoward happens I will have Jeremiah removed from your house and he will be put in a state facility until we work out placement. You should not take anything for granted and should contact social services with any and all questions. Do not make assumptions. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, your honor.”

“Jeremiah, I am on your side. It may not seem like it this time but I am. I don’t yet know who all is supporting you in your steps to adulthood but it is obvious they are highly motivated to see you succeed. You are a fortunate young man. There are not many young people who appear in my court who have that support. I am going to give you my telephone number and you are to call me if you have any needs. I mean it: any needs. I am proud of you for wanting to leave the streets and accept help. We will reconvene in one month’s time for an update hearing. In the meantime, the court order to retrieve your belongings from your parent’s home is granted. The clerk will also print out the orders regarding guardianship. Is there anything else that you need today?”

Jeremiah looked up and told her that he was good and thanked the judge for hearing his requests.

“Good luck and I will see you in January.”

When the clerk gave them the documents and explained what each one was for they left the courthouse. Each of the attorneys shook Jeremiah’s hand and wished him the best. Black, Tim and Jeremy climbed into the Tahoe and Tim said he was starving. Jeremiah laughed and said it was a good thing he had saved his lunch bag. He pulled out the food and gave Black the baloney sandwich and Tim the sweet roll. He kept the juice box and fruit for himself.

“I am glad you will eat that nasty baloney. I would have thrown that in the garbage.”

They all laughed and said it was just a snack before their next task. Black dialed from the car telephone and was connected with the local police department. He spoke to a sergeant and told him what he was going to do. The sergeant wanted the address and promised to have a policeman at the residence.

“Okay, Jeremiah, we are going to get your clothes. The police will be there to help in case your parents are difficult. I need for you to not say anything. I mean say nothing. Can you do that?”

“Suppose they say something to me first. I have a right to speak.” Both Black and Tim sighed. Teenagers!

Black looked in the rearview mirror and caught Jeremiah’s eye. “Like I said, nothing comes out of your mouth. I will speak to your parents.” Jeremiah scowled. Black figured there had been lots of verbal fights between them. “Jeremiah, this is important. I don’t want any of us to end up in jail as I try to protect you this afternoon. You saw how tough Judge Williams was to you; she would have my scalp. I will do whatever I have to do to protect you but please don’t make me break the law. Also, the police will be there to help if things get too bad.”

“Okay. I have a few things I really want to say to them but I promise that I will say nothing.”

“Get your clothes. Don’t worry about other things.”

“Okay.” The teenager was in full pout. He had slunk down in the seat so that Black couldn’t see him. At that point Jeremiah hated all adults. They just didn’t understand him.

The Tahoe pulled in front of a house in a middleclass neighborhood. There were two late model cars in the driveway. Black waited until he saw a police car pull behind the Tahoe before he got out. He had a few words with the officer, then got Jeremiah, and the three of them walked to the front door. Tim stayed in the car.

An overly obese woman came to the door. She was surprised and called out for her husband. He was a meek, skinny little runt. Black told them they were there to get Jeremiah’s belongings. He gave them a copy of the court paperwork for guardianship and the court order for removal of personal items.

“That little shit isn’t taking what we paid for. He ain’t nothing but a little queer cock-sucker. He even stole my nail polish. I can’t believe I gave birth to such a sissy little thing.”

Jeremiah’s mother stood in the door opening and wasn’t letting them through. The police officer said they were there to get Jeremiah’s clothes and nothing else.

“I burned them. I didn’t want faggot clothes in my house. Did he suck your cock so that you would take up for him?”

The intensity of the hate from Jeremiah’s mother caught both Black and the policeman temporarily off guard. His father didn’t say a word. They had incorrectly assumed that he would have been the difficult one.

“Well, ma’am we have a court order to enter the house and remove Jeremiah’s belongings. We will limit that to his clothes.”

“I told you there is nothing here. Go to his room and you will see.” She moved out of the way. Jeremiah led the way followed by the police officer and then Black. The woman had been truthful. The room was empty of everything including the furniture. There was not even a picture on the walls.

“He is dead to us. We have already sat Shiva for him. He doesn’t exist.”

Jeremiah crumbled to the floor and was crying. Black bent down to comfort him. That action resulted in an opposite effect than anticipated; Jeremiah cried even harder. Black scooped the boy in his arms. He winced. The hell with the pain in his arm. He would push through as needed. He looked at the officer and asked him to lead the way. As they were walking out of the room, Jeremiah’s mother spit in Black’s face. He thought about taking the bullet recently and that spit was easily washed off. It was nothing. As they exited the front door of the house, Tim saw Jeremiah in Black’s arms and jumped from the vehicle to open the back door of the Tahoe. Jeremiah was slipped into the back seat and Tim closed the door. Tim went to the other side and crawled in beside Jeremiah. Black spoke to the police officer for a minute and then got into the driver’s seat.

Black had to stifle his rage over the injustice of what he had just witnessed. How could a parent treat a child like that? He was more determined than ever that he and Tim would be there to help gay youth in the community. He turned the Tahoe toward Suffolk and hoped that Yonatan and Matan would welcome this boy into their home for the night.

As he predicted, Yonatan and Matan were wonderful. Black expected nothing less. When they arrived at the house, Jeremiah was still caught up in the emotional turmoil from the encounter with his parents. He asked Black and Tim if they lived there. Black said that he stayed there and Tim lived in town. They walked in from the garage where Jeremiah met Yonatan and Matan. Matan ushered him upstairs and told Jeremiah that he needed a shower. It was actually the first time that Jeremiah had showered in three weeks. He didn’t realize how badly he smelled. His “cat baths” just didn’t wash off the funk of a teenage boy.

Jeremiah looked at Matan and said, “But I don’t have any clothes. My parents got rid of all of my clothes.” Jeremiah slumped against the bathroom door and wondered how he would survive. Matan hugged him and told him that he had clothes that would probably fit. Matan had been so busy that he hadn’t taken his outgrown clothes to the Good Will store. He opened a closet and pulled out pants and shirts. He went to his room and grabbed some underwear for Jeremiah to have.

“Take your time. When you finish, come downstairs and we will talk. Some clean towels are hanging on the back of the door.”

When Jeremiah came down the steps he looked like a different person. He was clean and his eyes were bright. He asked where Black was. Matan and Tim looked at each other and swallowed hard.

“Yonatan took Black to the hospital.”

“What’s going on? Oh my God, is he okay? Tell me it’s not my fault.”

“It’s not your fault, Jeremiah. Black hurt his arms a few weeks ago and he wanted to have it checked after picking you up today.”

Jeremiah burst into tears, which led Tim to cry and finally Matan remembered the horrible afternoon in Vienna and he started crying. Green walked in and found three crying men. He looked from one to the other not knowing what to say or do. Finally, there was a pause in the crying.

“Gentlemen, I assume that things are not good. Can one of you tell me what is happening?”

Jeremiah had moved and stood behind Tim. He didn’t know this gruff man who had entered the house.

“Yonatan has taken Black to the hospital. He may have injured his arm this afternoon.”

Green just stared at Matan.

“Do you know which hospital?”

“Norfolk General. I called mom and she said she would call the Emergency Department. She still has some pull at the hospital.”

“Okay, gentlemen. What do we do? Do we stay here and cry or go to the Emergency Room and cry?”

They sniffled and said they preferred to cry in the Emergency Room. Green had them get into the Tahoe and they headed east to Norfolk. Yonatan had taken Black to the hospital in his Jeep. They arrived at the Emergency Department and waited for over an hour before they saw Yonatan and Black. Tim ran to Black and kissed him.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, I am fine. There was some blood and I wanted it checked out. They said it is normal healing. They did say for me to not pick up any more fifteen year old boys for a few weeks.” He smiled and looked at Jeremiah. “You clean up right good.” Jeremiah blushed.

Yonatan said they were going into Ghent to eat dinner. They ate at their favorite restaurant. Jeremiah sat between Matan and Black and couldn’t decide which one he wanted to lean on more. He kept thanking Matan for the clothes and then kept apologizing to Black for hurting his arm. Then the waiter appeared and Jeremiah stopped talking, blushed and lowered his head. He cut his eyes up to look at the handsome waiter who was also looking at him. They both smiled at the same time.

 

Suggested Music:

“You Will Be Found”

Composer/Lyrist: Penji Pesek & Jason Paul

Performers: Only Boys Aloud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_dxoLMGe-M

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Support organizations that help homeless youth as many of the youth are LGBT.
Copyright © 2019 Mac Rountree; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 7
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

47 minutes ago, Canuk said:

I can't imagine a situation when picking up a 15 year old boy would be a good idea! 🤔

Canuk,

Even a boy of 15 weighs more than I want to pick up.  Fortunately, Black is trained to be able to carry someone from a dangerous situation and would be okay except for the gunshot wound and bolus of infection.  

Thanks for reading the story.

Mac

  • Like 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Job said:

I really like this song, thank you, for sharing.

Job,

It is from Evan Hanson.  I love the musical and also the Only Boys Allowed Welsh singing group.  I perfect combination for me.

Mac

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..