Jump to content
    Mac Rountree
  • Author
  • 1,530 Words
  • 1,554 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Keep Me As An Apple of Your Eye - 34. January 3

Friday, January 3

10th Day of Christmas

 

On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me

ten Lords a leaping.

From “The Twelve Days of Christmas.” The ten Lords a leaping represent the

Ten Commandments.

 

 

Erick reached out to slap at the alarm clock. He was sure it was still the middle of the night. He continued to beat the clock but it continued to ring. Todd jumped up from the bed and ran to the kitchen to answer the telephone. Erick fell back to sleep; the holiday had taken its toll on him.

Todd’s returned to bed and wrapped his arms around Erick and held him tight. Todd wondered if he would get so tired when he got as old as Erick. Of course, there was only five years separating them. He started kissing Erick’s spine.

“Let me sleep. Just let me sleep, please.”

Todd worked hard not to be in a huff. He slipped out of the bed and went back to the kitchen. He knew one thing that would get Erick up: food. He started by making coffee. He then started cooking turkey bacon which Erick loved. Next, he started scrambling eggs and knew that lift off was fast approaching.

Erick stood at the kitchen door rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He looked absolutely adorable and Todd could picture him as a child coming down for breakfast holding a teddy bear.

“You don’t play fair. You knew that if you started cooking I would get up. I really needed the sleep this morning, lover.”

Todd had a mischievous grin on his face.

“Tempting fuckit.”

A smile started moving across Erick’s face.

“Yes, time flies. Now say it correctly.”

“I don’t know how. Maybe you need to come over here and teach me.” Todd was pouting like a little boy.

Erick walked into the kitchen and stopped in front of Todd. He spoke the Latin phrase. Again, Todd said he didn’t know how to say it.

“You may need to get like right here in my face so my mouth can get it right.” Erick moved in closer. “I think you need to be closer.” Erick started grinning.

“This is tempting. Oh, fuck it.” He leaned into Todd and kissed him. He kissed him hard. They were both making moaning sounds.

“Let’s go back to bed.”

“Nope, we are going to eat breakfast then we have to make a road trip.”

They sat at the table and they fed each other. Each bite of food was followed by a kiss. It took them forever to eat breakfast but they considered it time well spent.

“It is so nice to be back home. One more trip to Richmond then we’ll be back to our routine. I liked our routine, whatever it was. Did we really establish a routine before Advent started?”

“Our routine was to get up in the morning, make love in the shower, go to school, come home and make love, eat dinner, then make love again then go to bed for the night and wake up about 2 a.m. and make love again. I liked that routine.” Todd was grinning.

“Did we really make love that much?”

“Everyday.”

“Then let’s start that routine again, please.”

Todd and Erick cleaned the kitchen and then headed to the shower. They were thankful for the hot water. Erick was wide awake by the time they finished.

“By the way, who called so early this morning?”

“It will be revealed later this morning. We are taking a road trip.”

“Where are we going?”

“Clue number 1. It is someplace we have been before.”

Erick laughed and started naming the places they had visited.

“Yes, it was one of the places you named. Clue number 2. It is near the water.”

All of Hampton Roads was on or adjacent to the water so Erick started naming every place he could think of. He started putting on the clothes that Todd had pulled from the closet. They were dressing up: dark blue suits, crisp white shirts and red bow ties. Their ankles were adorned in the festive Chanukah socks and their wrists displayed the colored knotted silk cuff links. They put on their Wayfarer sunglasses and stepped out of the apartment. They got in Todd’s car but left the top up since it was an especially cold day. Todd drove down the ramp onto the Colonial Parkway. They stopped in Yorktown and Todd ran into a florist shop and returned with a large bouquet of flowers which he placed in the back seat. Todd continued driving north on Route 17.

“Are you ready for the next clue?” Erick nodded his head. “Okay, it involves British aristocracy.”

“I know, I know. We are going to Washington D.C. to visit with Prince Edward. I have always thought he was a queen.”

Todd gave a hearty laugh. Erick decided to enjoy the scenery and not worry about where they were heading. He was on a road trip with his fiancé and that was all that mattered. When Todd turned the BMW and passed through the gates of Cameron Farms, Erick realized where they were.

“You know that it was Lord Fairfax of Cameron who owned all of this property and a million more acres at one time. This farm is just one small part of the original land grant.”

“Why are we here?”

“It will all be revealed soon. Remember, your manners my Lord, we are in the presence of a descendant of Lord Fairfax, a retired Army General, a retired State Senator, and a business partner of my father’s. He called this morning and requested our presence for lunch. A request from a General is the same as a direct command.”

The Senator and his wife came out the front door and stood on the porch to welcome them. They were surrounded by their tri-color hounds and Erick dared to reach down and pat one on the head. He felt the tongue that licked his hand and he instinctively wanted to pull it back. He hoped that his face did not show the horror he felt. Mrs. Fairfax extended open arms to welcome them; the Senator gave them a hearty handshake. Erick feared there was dog slobber on his hand. Todd gave Mrs. Fairfax the bouquet of flowers and she gave them a smile of thanks. Todd knew the difference between the polite smile and a genuine smile and they received the real thing.

They were led into the parlor overlooking the river where they were served drinks. After sipping at his drink, Todd knew he had to be careful that he didn’t imbibe too much. He thought his drink was straight up bourbon. The problem was he liked it, he really liked it.

Mrs. Fairfax said that lunch was ready in the dining room. A young male servant brought in plated food after they were seated. Erick asked insightful questions about the farm, modern day farming techniques and maintenance of a historic home. He knew that rich old people liked lots of praise and he freely gave it when responding to their statements. Todd was so proud that his partner fit so naturally into a stronghold of the FFV (First Family of Virginia). When there was finally a lull in the conversation, the Senator spoke up.

“I guess you are wondering why we called and asked that you come have lunch with us today?”

“Yes sir, but we are so pleased that you called.”

“Am I right in assuming that you are a couple?”

Todd looked at Erick. “Yes sir, in fact we are engaged to be married. It was announced at my parent’s New Year’s Eve party.”

“And your brother?”

Erick spoke up. “It surprised us all when Tayloe asked my brother, Eron, to marry him at the same party.”

The Senator’s eyebrows lifted and were almost at his hairline. He looked at Todd. “And your parents are okay with this?”

“Yes, sir.”

The Senator then turned to Erick. “What about your parents?”

“They were at the party and celebrated with all of us. They already knew that my twin brother and I were gay. However, no one expected that two sets of brothers would marry. We certainly didn’t.”

There was silence for a moment.

The Senator then did his best harrumph and Mrs. Fairfax gave him a look that shut down his bad behavior. He then started talking. Both fellows were spellbound by what he had to say.

It was after dark when they pulled up to their apartment. It had been an intense, exhausting afternoon. They were sworn to secrecy about what had transpired. They also felt privileged that they had been included. There was genuine love and affection from the Senator and Mrs. Fairfax when they hugged and parted that afternoon. Both fellows reflected that it had been a life affirming time; they had spent time loving God and loving their neighbor as they explored the value and meaning of life. A new day had broken.

 

Suggested Music:

“Morning Has Broken”

Performer: Cat Stevens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZAsfB1Np-8

 

 

Copyright © 2019 Mac Rountree; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

As important an act as that was, will they get time to themselves?  A day at their own pace must seem like a far-away treat right now

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Brokenbind said:

As important an act as that was, will they get time to themselves?  A day at their own pace must seem like a far-away treat right now

 

Brokenbind,

Thank you for remembering they need "Todd and Erick" time.  This basic need continues to elude them.  Their Saturday calendar is free until the evening.  Erick gets to sleep in.  Then it is full steam ahead through Monday and they return to University on Tuesday.  So, the holidays have proved to be a non-stop series of events that has left  them no time just for themselves.  They have been nurtured and grown as a couple through this tumultuous time.

Thank you for being a reader who sends thoughts and  comments.  

Mac

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..