Jump to content
    Mark92
  • Author
  • 1,098 Words
  • 1,934 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Winter - Aftermath Entry

Captain Simon Brown - 1. Chapter 1

Captain Simon Brown

I clung on to the empty crate, my legs too tired to swim any more, as I drifted. I looked round to see several of my crew and some of the rescued girls that bobbed round me on their own piece of salvaged wood.

The sea was calmer now after the storm. Several times I had lost my grip, and several times I had struggled back to the surface in the choppy waters. The crate was of seasoned wood and bobbed effortlessly on top of the waves. I wondered if the young, pretty captive it once held had survived. It had been impossible to launch the skiffs. The ships roll onto its side had dashed any hopes of that.

Steamers had passed by and hadn’t noticed the many figures that bobbed in the waves. For two days we had struggled without food or water. We hoped against hope that we would be rescued.

I knew we were approximately eighty miles out from the coast of Montevideo. We were destined there on a mission. I had hidden several girls ready for the auctions. The first consignment I had received from my dear nephew James, in the hold.

The hurricane had hit my ship hard, her cargo of coal and bricks had shifted as she bounced on the huge waves. She had tipped onto her side first; luckily those few minutes had allowed my crew and the girls to escape. Then she had rolled over showing her keel before she sank into the murky depths.

My ship was no more. She was a three masted iron barque. And she had been mine for three years. Only recently had I returned back into the secret transport of girls. As a side-line to the regular, low paid cargo.

We had set sail from Newcastle, England on the 15th August 1897 on our way to Buenos Ayres to deliver bricks and coal. And we would make a small detour to Montevideo to drop off the girls.

My crew had fought hard to try and empty the heavy cargo into the sea. It was an attempt to lighten the load, and keep the ship afloat. As was expected of me I left last. Every single crew member and girl from the hold had been given something to cling too. But once in the sea, it was fate, as to who lived and who perished.

Many had died already, either from the cruel sea, the lack of water, or lack of food.

~*~*~*~

I watched with sadness as another crew member lost his grip and slipped down into the water. It was hopeless to try and reach him.

And then I saw it, another steamer approached. It was closer than the others. Slightly off course from its regular shipping lane. The steamer SS Condor drew closer. I could now hear shouts and calls from the ship “man over board!” I tried to make out just how many of us were left as my fingers begin to slip. I had lost my grip again my fingers numb. I sank slowly under the waves.

Suddenly I was yanked upwards. I gasped loudly as my nose and then my lungs filled with air. I coughed and spluttered as I was pulled onto the skiff, by the Condor’s crew. I had survived.

~*~*~*~

Two whole months passed before we landed back on British soil. Nine out of a crew of thirty eight had survived, plus four out of ten girls. The girls had been snapped up in the small impromptu auction I had arranged. They would have brought more overseas, but this would be a small compensation for the loss of the others. I had to see James, and hope his temper wouldn’t be like the last time we met. I smirked to myself as I remembered the drunken games Conner Black and I had played. Poor James thought he could drink us under the table. Conner and I were seasoned drinkers, well used to being thrown out of the doors of some public house or other. But James was young, with plenty of time to catch up to the middle aged sots he called Unc. I wasn’t really his uncle; I may have been his father. But I would never let that slip.

It was time to leave the warm cosy comforts of my Newcastle residence. The landlady had too many children, but the food was good and the bed was clean. Conner would be here soon to take me to the Grange. James was busy with fixing up the old farm next door for me to stay. But only until my next ship landed. The sea was in my blood, it fired my veins. At the age of thirty six, I wasn’t ready to rest my sea legs yet.

In three months’ time I would master another ship the barque Albuera. The difference between my last ship SS Cuthbert and the Barque Albuera were immense. The next ship was a square rigged steel sailing ship. She had two decks; and three masts. And I was to captain her.

I stood and leaned in the doorway and looked out onto the bustle filled street. And then I grinned as a cart came into view. The huge hulk of a man grinned back and then slowed the horses, before he jumped down. His face as he walked towards me was one of mirth. He then hugged me so tight I thought I would pass out as he then slapped my shoulder,

“Simon fucking Brown you old sea dog! Good to see you, and mighty glad to be taking you home where you belong.” He grabbed my old kit bag and threw it in the back of the cart.

I shook my head as I followed him, “I won’t be staying Conner, not for too long any way.” I coughed as he slapped my back again.

“Well for as long as you’re with us then, and a happy drunken time will be had by all.” I laughed as I jumped up on the cart to sit beside him.

“Aye Conner Black, I’ll have a few drunken nights with you, and a toast to St Cuthbert, may she rest in peace.” We laughed together as the horse set off again across the cobbles. The journey to the Grange estate was a long one, but I was in good company. And I couldn’t wait to see young James Thomas, the lord of the Manor. The Master of the Grange Estate.

 

 

 

Discuss this story

Copyright © 2011 Mark92; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Winter - Aftermath Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A scrumptious little side story here, Marky. Well done! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Two days floating in the cold ocean, losing grip and having to flail away back to the surface... not for me. sceptic.gif Of course, that's the landlubber in me talking. thumbsup.gif

Link to comment

hmm...an amoral British smuggler and a lot of unanswered questions. Good plot point

 

As Doyle would say "the games afoot", keep on writing!

Link to comment

Hey Mark, as a piece of advertorial this worked! I'll certainly be reading The Legacy when it's done.

 

The issues covered here are pretty big, and pretty shocking at that, and I was interested that you concentrated on girls as the contraband, here, rather than slaves, or 'blacks'. That seemed to be a very pointed jab in the eye for us to remember that even though black slavery has largely gone away, people trafficking hasn't.

 

I also liked your character building. I had a real feel in my head for the people.

 

However, I was bothered by the dreadfully staccato delivery here. It just didn't seem to have any supporting role and really interfered with the rest of the story.

 

On the other hand, as a set of ideas and vehicles for polemic, it really worked well for me. Keep at it, sir. You're coming up with some good stuff!

 

D

Link to comment

I've read a few chapters of The Legacy, and I dare say that this is better than what I read. Although the story didn't exactly stand on it's own, but it was good. Good work Mark.

Link to comment

Meh, hated it. :P

 

Just kidding, knowing a bit about what this 'shot' off of, I have to wonder, is Captain Brown really that eager to see J.T? Me thinks no, not if he's wise. ;)

Link to comment

Thanks for sharing this story :)

I have to disagree with Dannsar on the staccato point--I quite liked the short scenes pieced together--especially in a short story--to get to the point. Like quick brush strokes that show different perspectives.

:) Nice.

Link to comment
On 12/20/2011 04:36 AM, AnytaSunday said:
Thanks for sharing this story :)

I have to disagree with Dannsar on the staccato point--I quite liked the short scenes pieced together--especially in a short story--to get to the point. Like quick brush strokes that show different perspectives.

:) Nice.

Thank you Anita. I was trying to get as much info as I could into a short story. It wasnt easy. :hug:

Thanks again :)

Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 10:49 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Meh, hated it. :P

 

Just kidding, knowing a bit about what this 'shot' off of, I have to wonder, is Captain Brown really that eager to see J.T? Me thinks no, not if he's wise. ;)

Or maybe he's just as bad as James Qtee?

Thank you for the review :hug:

Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 08:37 AM, Foster said:
This was nicely done, you young scoundrel ! :P
Thank you Bugsy *snigger*

And me a scoundrel??? Never! LOL

Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 03:27 AM, Michael9344 said:
I've read a few chapters of The Legacy, and I dare say that this is better than what I read. Although the story didn't exactly stand on it's own, but it was good. Good work Mark.
Thank you Michael. I guess it isnt to everyones taste.

I was only 13 when I first started writing "The Legacy" and it was a straight story then. Thanks :)

Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 04:21 PM, Dannsar said:
Hey Mark, as a piece of advertorial this worked! I'll certainly be reading The Legacy when it's done.

 

The issues covered here are pretty big, and pretty shocking at that, and I was interested that you concentrated on girls as the contraband, here, rather than slaves, or 'blacks'. That seemed to be a very pointed jab in the eye for us to remember that even though black slavery has largely gone away, people trafficking hasn't.

 

I also liked your character building. I had a real feel in my head for the people.

 

However, I was bothered by the dreadfully staccato delivery here. It just didn't seem to have any supporting role and really interfered with the rest of the story.

 

On the other hand, as a set of ideas and vehicles for polemic, it really worked well for me. Keep at it, sir. You're coming up with some good stuff!

 

D

Thank You Dannsar. It was supposed to read how it did, and in the original Legacy, Captain Brown was as bad as James and indeed Blackbeard LOL.

Thanks for the honest review though. All noted :hug:

Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 03:31 PM, W_L said:
hmm...an amoral British smuggler and a lot of unanswered questions. Good plot point

 

As Doyle would say "the games afoot", keep on writing!

Thanks so much. Its a long long story its attached too. And still a long way to go. :) Thank you for reading and reviewing :)
Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 08:19 AM, Nephylim said:
Nice story. You have a knack of making us like your characters, even when they're not very nice :)
Who's not very nice??? you cant mean James can you? and Simon Brown is a bit of a bugger but he's a pirate :P

Thanks Nephy Love you loads :hug::wub:

Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 05:41 AM, Conner said:
A scrumptious little side story here, Marky. Well done! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Two days floating in the cold ocean, losing grip and having to flail away back to the surface... not for me. sceptic.gif Of course, that's the landlubber in me talking. thumbsup.gif
Awwww thank you Conner, your views are always very very welcome. I love you to bits man, you know I do. :wub:

Thank you so much :hug:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..