Jump to content
    Mawgrim
  • Author
  • 1,436 Words
  • 1,072 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Zombie Projectionists - 1. Chapter 1

‘Twenty-four hour cinema; that’s what we’ll give ‘em.’

You can imagine them at head office; those bastards who get fat on their expense account lunches and never set foot in a real cinema, and certainly never work weekends, or Bank Holidays or Christmas Day for God’s sake.

‘Great idea.’ Some little yes man or woman pipes up to endorse the idea.

‘Well, all the supermarkets are doing it these days. I’m thinking your average person; shift workers, students, insomniacs, all nipping in to catch a movie any time they want.’

I’m thinking of the non-average nutcase; the Travis Bickle wannabes, the psychos, drunks and wastrels who’ll come in, puke up and sleep while we have to carry on running eight different films for an audience who isn’t interested. But that’s how it is these days.

Phil is writing a book while we’re on shift. He won’t let me see me any of it, but while he’s off putting on the next set of shows, I take a look anyway.

Zombies lurch up from the dank earth, spitting out chunks of soil. Worms writhe in their putrid flesh. Their eyeballs are bulging and reddened. They will have their revenge!

Sounds like your average projectionist these days. We’re all earning great money of course, but what’s the point when you stagger home and fall into bed exhausted. On my days off I sleep. In a satin-lined coffin. Not really, of course. That was from Phil’s last epic. It was about a projectionist who became a vampire. Set in a cinema of course, but not one of these soulless multiplexes. Hey - that’s good. A soulless building as habitation for the undead. Maybe I should mention it to him but then he’ll guess I’ve been reading his stuff, and he’ll go into a sulk and slope off to the water tank room, where he sits in semi-darkness scribbling away.

Anyway, this story took place in one of the good old cinemas; a nineteen-thirties dream house that years of neglect and decay had turned into a nightmare. I remember them well. Like most of us, I joined the business in the seventies, during the decline, when everyone said it was dying and predicted its extinction within ten years. I started in an old Gaumont, a vast cavern of a place whose stalls seated over a thousand, and whose circle, abandoned to the rats, took about another eight hundred. It smelled damp. The once plush fabric on the seats had worn smooth. The carpet was black and sticky from years of spilled drinks. The projection equipment looked like something out of Frankenstein’s laboratory; mercury arc rectifiers whose trapped denizen danced in a violet pool. Big switches that sparked whenever the house lights dimmed. Ancient projectors with the streamlined styling of the nineteen-fifties. Valve amplifiers that heated the box up nicely, and which would respond to a poke with a broom handle when the sound faded away completely. I loved it. I was lost from the moment I first set foot in the place.

My family thought I was mad. Maybe I was, but it was a glorious madness. The chief projectionist was an old man who took a pride in his job, despite everything. When he'd gone into the box as a rewind boy, aged fourteen, things had been very different. Uniformed commissionaires put out the house full signs every night. Crowds of people queued round the block, in grainy black and white, all wearing hats. And in the box there were seven men, each with his own responsibility. The chief was God. The manager was higher than God. If you mis-timed a changeover you lost threepence from your wages; if you got a rack on screen, sixpence. And if you lost a show, the ultimate dishonour, you committed ritual suicide.

Even in the bad days of the seventies, Bill had not forgotten the old standards. No matter what happened, the show must go on.

‘Remember,’ he said. ‘If the punters ever notice we’re here, we’re doing something wrong.’

He taught me well. I never got a rack on screen; never lost a show. But all our best efforts couldn’t compete against the harsh realities of maintaining a building long past its sell-by date. The Gaumont closed in the autumn of nineteen-eighty.

Bill retired. I stayed on, moving to a triple ten miles away, and rose through the ranks faster than anyone would have done in his day. Five years later I was a chief. Coincidentally, nineteen eighty-five was the turnaround year; the year the Americans opened the first ever multiplex in Milton Keynes.

Initially, the other companies fought back, but they couldn’t compete. The old buildings were sub divided again and again, transformed into monstrosities with six screens, victims of experimental surgery that never quite worked. They were hellish to run, up and down all those stairs too. But they still retained a certain character. They still had the magic, even though the ornate plasterwork and antique light fittings might be concealed behind plasterboard panelling. In the box (especially the top box - the old, original projection box) you had a feeling of continuity with your predecessors. And because the soundproofing wasn’t all it should be, when you started a feature (full Fox opening, eight on the fader) you’d hear the audience cheer, clap and drum their feet on the boards. It was still cinema.

In nineteen-ninety, they built the new multiplex, and we moved over. At first it was great. Everything worked and it was clean, new and spacious. The box - or booth as the Americans call it - was a great long corridor with projectors and gleaming platters on either side. Film lay like giant Liquorice Allsorts on horizontal platters. Others were stacked against the walls in the manner of discarded tyres. The audiences came back in droves.

Then they started piling more and more work on to us. In one week we showed twenty four different films in our eight screens. It became like a production line; fast food cinema. Shovel the customers in with an overpriced tub of popcorn and a bucket of soft drink. Slap it on screen; they don’t know any different these days. And no time for the poor projectionist to give any flourishes to the presentation anyway. In our air-conditioned, soundproof room, there was no audience feedback anyway. They could all be dead and you’d not know it.

Where’s Phil got to, I wonder? Should have been back by now. Still, no alarms have gone off, so I assume he’s all right out there.

We’ve always opened at weekends, but now we have Saturday morning shows and late nighters. And whereas in the old days we never opened on Boxing Day, that crept in too. Firstly just for a couple of hours, then all day. And last year, they finally got a licence to open on Christmas Day itself. You ought to have seen the sad bastards who came out. Feuding families, Christmas haters, nutcases. And none of the head office prats took any less than their customary week off.

I’m sick of it. This isn’t the business I loved. It isn’t what cinema’s about. The world has changed, and I am stuck somewhere in the past. A vast auditorium; the shadowed ceiling lost above us, watching a horror movie in the closed circle with a gaggle of usherettes who peered from behind their fingers, and huddled closer as the rats scampered to and fro.

The phone rings. I can tell from the space invaders tone that it’s an internal call.

‘Stop the film in screen three.’ The manager sounds scared. Is it another bomb hoax, or some nutter saying he’s poisoned the popcorn?

‘What’s happened?’

‘Just stop it, now.’

I hurry to the projector. The air conditioning blows a cold draught down my back. I shut it down, muting the sound. Someone has thrown something on the screen. So that’s the reason. And where the hell is Phil? This is his screen, and he should be taking care of it.

The lights raise slowly. I see movement. I see people huddled together. I see the glistening wet stain on the white sheet, like an abstract painting. Damn it. That’ll take some cleaning.

Then as the lights reach their full intensity, I see him. He’s all covered with the same stuff. It’s on his face, his hands. He’s smiling, licking his lips as the remaining audience cower away. I realise three things at once. It’s Phil. It’s blood. It’s not his blood.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Copyright © 2020 Mawgrim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

It is with great sadness I must announce the death of Mawgrim, Promising Author on GA. He had been in declining health for some time and passed away on Christmas Day. Mawgrim worked for decades as a cinema projectionist before his retirement and was able to use this breadth of knowledge to his stories set in cinemas. He also gave us stories with his take on the World of Pern with its dragon riders. He will be greatly missed and our condolences go out to his friends, family, and his husband.
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Fortunately my local Odeon , although it got a couple of extra screens where the stalls were, never covered up the 1930s décor. http://www.cinemaprojectionists.co.uk/Odeon Richmond Web/odeon richmond.html

The local Gaumont closed, it's most distinctive feature was the sliding roof above the stalls, it could open to the stars (not in my time though).

Or they ended up as bingo halls , this one still in its original décor , Gala bingo Tooting

Or churches Rainbow Astoria , Finsbury Park. , now restored. The Who, The Beatles and more played there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I remember Richmond Odeon well. It was a lovely cinema. Didn’t realize any cinemas in the UK had the sliding roof feature, although I know quite a few in warmer and sunnier climates did.

I was lucky enough to visit Tooting Granada and Finsbury Park Astoria with the Cinema Theatre Association. Beautiful examples of 1930s architecture.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The Oriental.  My mom remembered it better than I do.  She grew up going to matinees there and told stories of the manager giving kids free ice creams (this was during the Depression), but only if they left the theater by a certain time.  He was clearing it out to get ready for the Saturday evening adult shows.  They got free dishes and glassware! https://mkefilm.org/oriental-theatre

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loved this story about a cinema for two reasons. It reminded me of my childhood days attending the Saturday matinee with friends and Monday night with Mum and Dad. We called it the pictures in those days and yes, we did have a sliding roof that was opened on hot Australian nights. The other reason it bought back memories was that in the 80s I worked as a Cinema manager for Village Theatres. That was at the time when old theatres were being twined and new  multiplexes were being built. Thanks for the memories. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

During my Student-Time in West-Berlin I worked part time as a projectionist in the Thalia Filmtheater in Berlin-Lankwitz.

We had a special audience for Elvis-Films, the "Elvis Forever Fanclub" in the evening and Young Dr. Frankenstein and Disney movies (often in English languish with simultaneously translation) during the day in Thalia II.

Thalia I was a cinema with about 600 Seats; Thalia II had only 32 seats. To operate both, you had to run over the roof of the entrance hall from one projection-room to the other.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, DKW from Germany said:

Thalia I was a cinema with about 600 Seats; Thalia II had only 32 seats.

Sounds like a unique and quirky cinema. I remember hearing about one cinema built in the UK where they forgot to build a projection room, so had to find somewhere on the roof and use mirror projection.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Thalia II was build into the former changing room for the Performers and had only two projectors: one 16 mm and one super-8 mm, so that you had to interrupt the film to change the spools.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..