Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 545 Words
  • 3,346 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

judgement call - 1. my story

It wasn’t intended. Well, maybe it was. And maybe it was more gruesome than it needed to be … but I snapped. I still don’t remember exactly how it happened, but I think I can cover the why …

I was nine. I remember that part well. Just after Christmas – my older brother and his friends were messing around with his new drum set. I came down stairs and said something like “you jerks sure make a lot of noise” … they charged.

Next thing I knew I was flat on my back, brother sitting over my stomach as he punched at my arms. Not hard enough to bruise – he wasn’t that stupid I guess. But hard enough to hurt.

Anyway, at one point his best friend leaned over and whispered something to him. He got this weird luck and said “I dunno man”. His friend whispered again and my brother shrugged. Then he got off me.

I didn’t have a chance to get away. Suddenly my shoes were gone, my socks. Shirt. But when he started on my belt I knew I was in trouble. This is where the memory gets a little foggy. I recall trying to roll out of their grasp, screaming, crying, promising anything to my brother if they’d just stop. But they didn’t stop.

They grabbed me, threw me on my stomach onto my dad’s favorite chair with my feet almost on the floor. Then nothing. I remember pain. Horrendous pain. Tears. That's all.

Next I knew I was in my room curled up on my bed. It took me forever to be able to move. Then Dad and Mom came home. I got dressed as fast as I could manage.

Dad always said “Mind your brother when we’re gone. If he does something wrong, just tell us about it when we get home – but be obedient while we’re away.”

I ran, flew, fell down the stairs to stand in front of him. I remember the tears. I remember him looking at me, the displeasure in his eyes… I started to tell him, but all I got out was “Bill and his friends…” before Dad back-handed me – practically knocked me to the floor. He was yelling “How many times do you have to be told not to tattle on your brother? Get to your room. I can’t stand looking at you.”

That was 25 years ago. Then in mid-January this year Dad died. After the funeral we were at the house, going through things – Mom died a couple years ago. Anyway my brother shoved me aside to get at some papers and I pushed him back. He said that I’d better watch it if I knew what was good for me. I turned, looked him in the eye, and said “Screw you”.

He grabbed at me. “Screw me? I’ll show you screw me,” and ripped my shirt open. And I ran. Next thing I remember I was in Dad’s study, his revolver in my hand, and Bill lying dead on the floor, blood everywhere, and the revolver empty.

That’s all I can tell you ‘cause that’s all that I know. Now I guess I have to wait for your judgement. Or your mercy.

Copyright © 2019 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

No judgment here buddy, brothers are supposed to defend and fight for their siblings against all comers .

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, bubby1234 said:

No judgment here buddy, brothers are supposed to defend and fight for their siblings against all comers .

 

That would be nice, if it were the case.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

A well written story. A hard read in parts.

Yeah...  Thanks for reading.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sad story; the honesty of the protagonist is what gives this piece its power. I enjoyed the presentation of this hard-hitting topic. If the story is regarding a personal experience. I hope life is better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, D.K. Daniels said:

Sad story; the honesty of the protagonist is what gives this piece its power. I enjoyed the presentation of this hard-hitting topic. If the story is regarding a personal experience. I hope life is better. 

It is a "personal experience" story - but only the first part - the "adult moment" is mental only - one I hate to say I've thought about a time or three...
Thank you for reading!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Brokenbind said:

 But I'm not sure I'd act differently.

and there is the scary part.

Link to comment

This hauntingly sad short story is extremely well written. Thanks for sharing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

This hauntingly sad short story is extremely well written. Thanks for sharing. 

I'm glad you enjoyed (?) it.  Thanks for writing.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..