Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 489 Words
  • 2,334 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Second Chances - Prologue. Prologue

Long time coming - correction of typos, bad word choices, and all that "stuff"

Annie and I had been married twenty-four years, three months, twelve days, and fifteen hours. Then, one cold, misty evening, just after sundown, a dead truck driver shattered my reason for living.

Yes, dead truck driver. At least that's what the coroner's office reported. Driving down Central Avenue, the business loop through town, fifty-six year old Jarl Kipelsky had a fatal heart attack. Without a driver, his semi crossd the meridian and collided head-on with a forest-green Saturn Astra, driven by the love of my life as she was headed home from the market.

They told me her death was instantaneous, that she didn't suffer. As if that bit of useless information would lesson my pain and anguish. My best friend, my confidant – we had loved, battled, laughed, and cried through homeless winters, angry and defiant children, and my affair. We knew there was nothing that could break the bond between us.

We hadn't accounted for death.

That was only five short months ago, yet it feels like ages since her memorial. She wanted cremated and her ashes spread in the mountains. The urn was there between two of her pictures; one as a baby, the other taken last year. Diedre, our eldest, was there with her children. Her ex-husband Jake was smart for once and stayed away. Sara was, wonde4r of wonders, on parole and actually showed up to give respect to the woman she refused to call "Mom". Bobby – excuse me – Robert was there with his girlfriend of the moment. They played guitars and sang James Taylor's "You've Got A Friend". It was inspirational. How his mother loved to hear him sing.

I managed to spread her ashes into the wind over Seraphin Peak. I was ready to face down the law, but it was a rather cold and breezy day – only ones on the trail going up were myself and my good friend Jerod. We passed a few hikers on their way down – they warned us the top was pretty nasty – but I was on a mission. I was afraid I wouldn't make it all the way up; but this was Annie's favorite spot. I always met her on her return to the bottom of the trail with hot chocolate. But this time I climbed it. Every inch of that stony path. Had to stop a few times to catch y breath. I think I even talked to Jerod about … something or other.

He had insisted he come along; would not let me do this alone. Probably smart. I do know of the two of us, Jerod is the most determined. He and I have known each other since high school, been through a lot together. I stood beside him when he was married; drank beside him when he got divorced. Our friendship seemed the one thing left from my past I could still count on.

Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am staring this story as you are posting chapter nine. It seems like I've been juggling several stories, and when I came to this I was curious, but didn't start reading. Today that changed, and your prologue has me intrigued. I see lots of possibilities. It is also nice to see a story about an older adult. I look forward to bingeing a bit and getting caught up.  Thanks.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, JeffreyL said:

I am staring this story as you are posting chapter nine. It seems like I've been juggling several stories, and when I came to this I was curious, but didn't start reading. Today that changed, and your prologue has me intrigued. I see lots of possibilities. It is also nice to see a story about an older adult. I look forward to bingeing a bit and getting caught up.  Thanks.

Thank you for "stopping by" - I'm thrilled you have interest in the story.  I hope that grows as you read.

I understand "juggling stories" - at least the two I've been writing.  I hope never to try to do multiple stories again - it's brain wracking :)

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..