Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 1,499 Words
  • 2,882 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Second Chances - 6. Charlie's

I stood at the mirror and wondered about the man I was seeing. Six-foot one, dark wavy hair bordering on curly, steel-blue eyes, and build not too shabby, considering my age and lack of discipline in diet and exercise. A tan western shirt over blue jeans and black boots, I shuddered for a moment, hearing Annie’s voice, quoting a country favorite as memories flooded in.

“Why’d you come in here lookin’ like that?”

I turned and smiled. “Too much?”

“Not for here, but I’m not sure I want to take you out in public.”

“Do I look that bad?” I turned and posed for her, smiling.

“You look that good, love. If we didn’t have to meet Kathy and Sean I’d take you here and now.”

“Mmmm. Sounds like a good reason to stay home.” I reached for her but she stepped back.

“Rein it in, cowboy. Just save that energy for later.”

“Is that a promise?”

“Take it to the bank, mister. You won’t be sleeping for hours, and then you’ll be comatose.”

“It’s a deal.”

I shook my head, clearing my thoughts as I refocused on the present. Seven forty-five, Jerod would be rolling up soon. Or so I thought until my phone chirped. I walked to the dresser and swiped it on to read the new message. As I thought, from Jer.

Running late, bet there at nine.

I walked into the living room and switched on a country station. I sat in my easy chair and closed my mind, letting the rest of the earlier memory play out. Before I was ready, it was five after nine and the kitchen doorbell rang. I sighed and stood, turned off the radio, and walked across the room as Jerod stepped in.

“You’re looking good.” He told me. “Ready to go?”

“As ready as I’m going to be, I guess.”

“Then let’s,” he said as he turned and headed out. I followed him through the doorway, locked up the house then joined him in his car.

“You certain about this?” I asked.

“Dead certain. Please don’t back out now.”

“I’m not backing out. I’ve decided to have a good time with my best friend. Regardless of the venue.”

“Works for me,” he said as he started the car and backed out of the drive.

~ - - - ~

I wasn’t far off track; Charlie’s was crowded with the ‘twenty-something’ male crowd, noise and music nonstop, but certainly not a “dive”; more an ‘up-and-coming’ club, it showed great promise. Jerod and I got a couple of drinks and headed out to a large patio area where we could enjoy a smoke and talk while he perused the merchandise. Alright, in all honesty I was enjoying the view as well. A lot of young, well defined men all strutting to be the main attraction. Although I think Jerod was a little put out by the fact that most seemed to be completely uninterested in the two old guys along the back.

The tall ten to twelve foot fence cordoned off the patio, a large cement area with plants along the side and several tables. Those tables nearer the center of the area were your standard height, while those towards the outer rim were raised with long-legged stools. Many of the stools also had backs, which made them a bit more comfortable than the standard variety. Jer and I had found a spot away from the immediate blast of sound from the large doors into the club. There were many tall lamps, not the cheesy tiki-style, but similar in height, that stood around the area. One was almost overhead. When I had mentioned the brightness to Jerod, his response was he needed to be seen. Gave me a chuckle.

Maybe an hour later we were back inside to refresh our drinks when he suddenly turned to me and grinned. “Dance with me.”

“What?”

“Come on, it’s good music. I know you can two-step. Dance with me.”

I’d blame it on the alcohol, but after only one drink, I’m fairly certain that wasn’t the cause. But whatever brought it on, I agreed.

“Fine. But I lead.”

“Deal,” he said with a laugh.

It took a minute but we moved into it fairly well. Jerod surprised me with his ability to follow. Somehow dancing had never been one of our pastimes. We both noticed the looks we were getting; it was a more than a little exhilarating. When the song ended I backed up but he grabbed my arm when the DJ spun up “Against The Grain” by Garth Brooks.

“Oh this is great!”

“This isn’t a two-step.”

“Better, a ten-step.”

I shook my head. “Not that familiar with…”

“It’s ok. Just follow the person in front. And I’ll be right beside you if you fall over.”

I laughed, we switched roles and we proceeded to move around the floor – rather gracefully, all things concerned. One giant ring of half-sober and three-quarter-drunk cowboys all having a great time. Half way through he spun around and started lining it backwards, but that ended when he almost knocked the guy in front of him down. Or – behind him, I suppose – at any rate, we laughed almost the entire song, and it ended far too early, though I was definitely winded. When a slower set started up, I released a sigh of relief and we turned for the bar when an arm wrapped around my waist from behind.

“My turn.”

I spun and looked the youth in the eye. “Tommy, I don’t think so.”

“I’m not at work – it’s Thomas, and yes, I think so. It’s the least you can do to let me apologize for my bad attitude lately.”

Jerod slapped me on the back. “Go for it. I’ll be at the bar.”

I shot him a dirty look before turning to smile. “Alright, Tommy … sorry, Thomas. One dance.”

He latched into me like a spring-loaded back gate and began to grind his way through the song. I stopped, put my hands on his hips, and pressed him back enough so we weren’t sharing body heat. He tried to pull in again and I stopped him.

“We can do this as friends or not at all.”

He frowned. “This is how I dance with my friends. Besides, it helps get us in the mood.”

“I think you’re already in enough of a mood. And you’re young enough to be my son.”

“I’m twenty.”

“Good Lord, you’re younger than my son.”

He tried to nuzzle my ear. “That’s ok, I’m not looking for a ‘daddy’, but we can role play if you want”.

I stepped away completely. “I think that’s enough, Tommy. Have a good night.” I turned and walked to the bar. When I got to Jerod he was almost bent over, laughing so hard.

“That was a riot,” he wailed.

“Shut up, Jerod,” I said then turned to the bartender. “Whisky, neat. Better make it a double.”

“Right away, sir,” he replied and I turned to Jerod. He looked past me and winked.

“Don’t look now, but storm Tommy is about to blow in.”

I turned around just in time to catch the boy’s wrist before his hand connected.

“Nobody walks away from me like that.” His eyes were narrowed and cold.

“Tommy … Thomas, I think you maybe have had a bit too much to drink. Maybe you should step outside and …”

“You wanna go outside? Let’s go!”

About then the bartender showed up and played rescue. “Is there a problem sir?”

“No,” I answered. “A little misunderstanding, but everything’s fine now, right Thomas?”

“I hate you,” he spat as he turned and walked away.

I handed a bill to the bartender and winked. “See, all taken care of.” He laughed and walked off to make change. Before he returned I downed my drink and tapped Jerod’s shoulder. “Let’s go.”

He paused only a moment then stood, nodding. “Sure. Thanks for coming with me tonight, Paul.” He sighed and looked around. “Just thought – I dunno. Guess I was hoping…”

I grinned, my own ‘imp’ springing into action. “Here … let’s give the boys something to talk about,” I whispered. Curling an arm around Jerod’s waist, I pulled him close, smashing his lips against mine. I waltzed my tongue against his, feeling us both begin to respond. I can’t deny it felt good – but I wasn’t quite ready for ‘community theatre’, so finally released him. I leaned in and whispered in his ear. “Now you’ve been seen.”

I waved off the bartender, he smiled as he looked down at the size of the tip I was leaving. I grabbed Jerod’s hand and pulled. “Let’s go, cowboy.” He laughed and turned to walk beside me. We disappeared out the door together, hand in hand, grinning like the schoolboys we were feeling inside; children at heart, even now. It felt good to be alive.

Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 minute ago, mfa607 said:

I thought we’d see Thomas!  Oh well, this’ll be fun! Thanks!

Happy you're enjoying it!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thomas is a diva mental case;  He has no couth or grace and is acting fatally attracted to Paul. “I hate you”  Really??

(Did he really think he was going to get away with smacking a man twice his age?!?!) and psychobitch better be on his best behavior when Paul goes to the gym or little Tom Tom will be out of a job.

I want Paul and Jared together.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, FanLit said:

Thomas is a diva mental case;  He has no couth or grace and is acting fatally attracted to Paul. “I hate you”  Really??

(Did he really think he was going to get away with smacking a man twice his age?!?!) and psychobitch better be on his best behavior when Paul goes to the gym or little Tom Tom will be out of a job.

I want Paul and Jared together.  

Tommy reminds me of tooooooo many "divas" (excellent word, btw)

As for Paul and Jared - - I guess future chapters will tell...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well  ... maybe Paul shoulda taken Tommy outside and kicked the Thomas outta him.. god.. what a dick.  But i liked the kiss.. mucho jealous of kissin Jared.. hehe .. nice chapter.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Well  ... maybe Paul shoulda taken Tommy outside and kicked the Thomas outta him.. god.. what a dick.  But i liked the kiss.. mucho jealous of kissin Jared.. hehe .. nice chapter.

Thanks - means a lot.  And yeah ... I can picture that kiss ... all too well ;)

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Jared needed to be seen, LOL!

it's been YEARS since i've been to a club, but it all came flooding back to me with your descriptions!

and why must there always be one of those, "oh it's a club i'm gonna grind against you" types 

must say i was a little disappointed in Tommy/Thomas' behavior

can't wait to see what happens next!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Well  ... maybe Paul shoulda taken Tommy outside and kicked the Thomas outta him.. god.. what a dick.  But i liked the kiss.. mucho jealous of kissin Jared.. hehe .. nice chapter.

Thanks - means a lot.  And yeah ... I can picture that kiss ... all too well ;)

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

Jared needed to be seen, LOL!

it's been YEARS since i've been to a club, but it all came flooding back to me with your descriptions!

and why must there always be one of those, "oh it's a club i'm gonna grind against you" types 

must say i was a little disappointed in Tommy/Thomas' behavior

can't wait to see what happens next!

the club is modeled after the last one I was at .... also some time ago.  I'm glad the descriptions worked!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm really turned off by Tommys behavior.  He isn't giving good vibes. 

 

I'm glad Paul got out and about.  I hope he has happier times ahead. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm really trying to see what is wrong with Tommy? Was he abused as a kid or does he want an older guy, since he didn't have a father at home. I got to read the next chapter now...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, BabyXander1990 said:

I'm really trying to see what is wrong with Tommy? Was he abused as a kid or does he want an older guy, since he didn't have a father at home. I got to read the next chapter now...

I think Tommy's problem is his maturity ... or lack thereof .... ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..