Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 1,215 Words
  • 2,174 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Second Chances - 8. Against All Odds

Monday swiftly became one of the most hectic days of my life, even considering the days after Annie’s accident. Flight arrangements were made; Jerod and I would leave Tuesday afternoon on flight thirteen-fifty-five for Chicago, one of the few direct flights I could find. It was scheduled to land at four forty-five at O’Hare; Mike had agreed to pick us up. I had argued the need for a rental car, he had convinced me we could pick one up later if we needed.

A friend of mine in real estate had agreed to take care of the house while I was out of town, so that was one worry off my mind. Jerod and I had rooms booked at a hotel just two blocks from the ‘El’ so we had a direct connection downtown if we wanted to tour Chicago in our ‘free time’. Somehow, the way Mike talked, I didn’t think we’d be doing much sight-seeing. At least not right away.

Fortunately, I owned Mike’s latest two CD’s which I was listening to non-stop. Whether cooking, cleaning, packing, or even driving around town, my soul was constantly immersed in the incredible sounds of my favorite jazz artist and good friend. There were several times I would stop the music and repeat a section while shaking my head. Mac was an incredible artist; there was no way I would ever duplicate his style. The best I could hope was that my own flare would be enough. Mike assured me it would – I wasn’t sold on the idea yet.

Getting the time from work was easier than I had thought, yet not as nice as I had hoped. Ted, my manager, was very understanding and yet very much still the corporate-minded professional.

“Four weeks is a lot of time off, Paul.”

“I know, Ted, and it’s appreciated.”

“You just had two weeks after the wife’s accident.”

“Yes, and even after the four I’m taking now I will have almost three left.”

“Just don’t be gone any longer than a month. If I can do without you for that long, I can probably do without you all together.”

“Ted, I know that’s not a threat …”

“No, Paul. I’m concerned about you, though. I don’t want you losing your edge by being out of the system.”

“Understood. I give you my word, I will be back within a month.”

“That’s all I ask. Take care of yourself and try to have a little fun.”

‘A little fun’. I didn’t see how that was going to happen, but it was nice for the boss to say. All-in-all, however, it was still simpler than my conversations with my own children.

Bobby was the first to return my call.

“So you’re quitting your job to go play music? Da bomb, Dad!”

“Back up. I’m not quitting my job; I’m going to Chicago to help out a friend for a few weeks.”

“But you said he wants you full time, I thought.”

“He does. I’m not sure I want to make that change.”

“Quit being chicken, Dad. I know you live for your music. Or you used to.” He was quiet a moment. “Mom wouldn’t want you to back down.”

“She also wouldn’t want me to jump before looking at all sides.”

“Well, I think you’re being stupid and stubborn.”

“Gee, thanks, son. Your support is underwhelming.”

“Whatever. You’re going to do what you’re going to do, no matter what I or anyone else says.”

“Well, to quote my son – it is my life.”

“Make yourself happy, Dad. Just do what’s right for you.”

“Thanks, son.”

“So you got anyone in your life yet? Any lady tickling your interest, or has age stolen your ‘bump and grind’?

“Sometimes you can be a bit crude, Bobby.”

“Robert.”

“Yes, Robert.”

“Just askin’. Have you dated at all?”

“I … have seen someone, yes. I don’t know that it’s going to amount to anything.”

“Ok. Well, have fun. Just stay away from that whore that almost broke you and Mom up.”

“Talk to you later, son.”

“Bye, Dad.”

So … Bobby wouldn’t be the one to tell I was seeing Cheryl again. Somehow I didn’t think Diedre would be any more welcoming to the thought. I was right.

“You went out with her? What are you thinking? That bitch almost killed your marriage.”

“Don’t yell at me, Deed. I understand you may not like Cheryl…”

“Don’t say her name to me. I hate her for what she did. Please tell me it was a one shot dinner thing and you’re not shacking up with her.”

“Enough. Who I become involved in is not your business. You are still my daughter. Not my keeper.”

“I love you, Dad – but I won’t have anything to do with that woman. If you see her, you’ll not see me.”

“Well, that’s nice and clear. Thank you at least for your honesty. It’s a shame you don’t have more of your Mother’s compassion.” I sighed. “I love you too, Deed, I just wish you could understand my view point.”

“I understand Mom’s,” she retorted sadly.

“I know you believe so, I’m just not sure after having been with your mother for twenty-four years, I see it differently.”

“So I guess we disagree.”

“I guess so. Still love you though.”

“Me too. Love you, Dad.”

Sara’s call was … interesting. Since she is the one child I’ve been able to connect with at a deeper level, she appreciates my acceptance of ‘same-gender relationships’, unlike her sister who finds them ‘sinful’ and her brother who things it’s just ‘disgusting’.

“Maybe Cheryl will treat you better than Annie did.”

Does she use her mother’s name just to goad me? “Personally, I don’t think I’ll ever find someone as right for me as your mother.” Well, I suppose maybe I goad her in return…

“So are you going to accept the offer for full time working with this guy?”

“I don’t know yet, kiddo. I guess time will tell. I’m not sure I have the energy to fight the music realm these days.”

“Then you should find it, because I think you’d be great.”

“Thanks, I appreciate that. Love you, you know.

“I know, Dad. Take care of yourself. And try to have fun. Who knows, you could meet your future partner there.”

“I doubt I have the time to even look, but thanks for the sentiment.”

“Call me and let me know how it goes?”

“Sure thing, kiddo.”

~ - - - ~

Straight-up noon on Tuesday Jerod pulled into the drive and honked. I walked out the kitchen door, locked up, and went around to drop my backpack into his trunk, then walked around and slid into the passenger seat.

“Alright. Guess this is it,” I told him.

“You don’t sound too enthused.”

“I am, actually. Looking forward to it and all, just anxious that I do a good job for Mike.”

“Well, if you really suck, I can always just cut your input from the mix.”

“Thanks. Your trust in my ability astounds me.” I leaned back in the chair and put on my best smug, “rich owner” face. “To the airport, driver.”

“Right away, sir,” he replied with a grin.

Chicago, here we come.

Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Paul’s kids are....interesting.

The biological gene pool can produce a vast array of individuals.  

While I know Paul and Annie couldn’t be perfect, their children seem to lack the warmth of their parents;  I get a rather soulless impression of them.

Looking forward to Chicago and this next act in Paul’s life.

 🎹 🎼 🎶

Edited by FanLit
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Interesting - maybe it's just the issues they've been seen in that makes them appear cold .. (in other words the way I wrote them :) )

  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, MericCotton said:

Interesting - maybe it's just the issues they've been seen in that makes them appear cold .. (in other words the way I wrote them :) )

Hearing one child (Deidre?) had problems with the law and a number of children with different fathers (who had custody of the children and not her) did give the impression that there were challenges in her life (and thus her parent’s life) but that didn’t have to mean she was without compassion.  (At least I didn’t think so from that)

It was the homophobic attitudes of Robert and Deidre, (not that all homophobes are cold) as well as the conversations they had with their dad that gave me the flat impression of them:

 

Robert: “Well, I think you’re being stupid and stubborn.”

“Gee, thanks, son. Your support is underwhelming.”

 

 

Deidre: “I understand Mom’s,” she retorted sadly.

“I know you believe so, I’m just not sure as after having been with your mother for twenty-seven years, I see it differently.”

“So I guess we disagree.”

“I guess so. Still love you though.”

“Me too. Love you, Dad.

 

Sara: “Maybe Cheryl will treat you better than Annie did.”

 

I understand (all too well) the issues children can have with their parents, maybe they are sparkling examples of humanity when not dealing with daddy.

 

 

Edited by FanLit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Kids love to give you their opinions, especially as they start having relationships of their own!  I think they feel they become experts! LOL! I've no doubt they were 'protecting' their mother.   Great chapter! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Romance after the death of a partner seldom is a smooth road.  Kids tend to look at it as replacing the parent they lost.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I actually don't think the kids came across too badly.  Their dad is seeing the woman he cheated on his wife with.  That's messed up. 

And from his responses he seems to have a frank relationship with them. 

In his sons response I heard encouragement to follow his dream and chastisement for holding back (which is very in character for Paul as it seems change is SUPER hard for him) 

In the first daughters response I heard pain. She identifies with mom.....has her husband cheated on her? 

In second daughter response I heard encouragement and reminder that life is fast and to live it up expressed in a gentler way than brother.  

 

 

Maybe it's because I speak this way to my parents. We have a more friends type relationship than traditional parent-child.  Maybe it's not the norm, but it's within the range of normal, you know what I mean?

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I get the kids being upset with Dad seeing 'the other woman'.  But, he was attracted to her for some reason, and i assume he liked her, whether we like it or not.  In the end Paul is right, it is his life, his choice and frankly other family members should respect that.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I love all the comments.  This chapter (for me) is probably one of the less-interesting, yet it has gotten the most vibrant of responses.  Helps me remember that it the reader that I'm looking to connect with - even if the connections are on the "less pretty" side, lol.

 

Thank you all.  I can only hope future reading evokes strong response.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Starrynight22 said:

I actually don't think the kids came across too badly.  Their dad is seeing the woman he cheated on his wife with.  That's messed up. 

And from his responses he seems to have a frank relationship with them. 

In his sons response I heard encouragement to follow his dream and chastisement for holding back (which is very in character for Paul as it seems change is SUPER hard for him) 

In the first daughters response I heard pain. She identifies with mom.....has her husband cheated on her? 

In second daughter response I heard encouragement and reminder that life is fast and to live it up expressed in a gentler way than brother.  

 

 

Maybe it's because I speak this way to my parents. We have a more friends type relationship than traditional parent-child.  Maybe it's not the norm, but it's within the range of normal, you know what I mean?

I totally get the kids having an issue with their dad potentially hooking up with the woman who caused trouble in their parent’s marriage, they may feel especially protective of their deceased mom’s memory.  I can even see them treating their dad like crap because he cheated on their mom.  

Justified or not, there seems a note or two off rhythm in Paul’s interaction with his children, even the one he’s always “been able to connect with at a deeper level”.  It’s just another interesting chord on Paul’s new sheet music.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, FanLit said:

I totally get the kids having an issue with their dad potentially hooking up with the woman who caused trouble in their parent’s marriage, they may feel especially protective of their deceased mom’s memory.  I can even see them treating their dad like crap because he cheated on their mom.  

Justified or not, there seems a note or two off rhythm in Paul’s interaction with his children, even the one he’s always “been able to connect with at a deeper level”.  It’s just another interesting chord on Paul’s new sheet music.

What's life without syncopation??

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..