Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 1,315 Words
  • 2,982 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Second Chances - 2. Gym Life

It only took ninety minutes before I was a jumbled mass of tired, aching muscles. I finished with the stair climber and headed across the room to find Jerod at the free weights. He had stripped off his shirt; sweat glistened like dew on his chest and abs. I admired his regulated breathing; the pulse of his arm muscles as he raised and lowered the bar. The man had always taken good care of himself from the days of college when we played rugby. Other than the slight greying at his temples, you would never guess him to be in his early forties.

He smiled as I approached and returned the bar to its holder. He grabbed his towel from beside him and mopped his face. "You ready to swim?"

"Actually, I'm done in. How 'bout we just put the pool off 'till next time? Besides, I forgot to pack a suit."

He sat up and shook his head, madly throwing sweat from his dark hair. "If you're sure. We could just hit the whirlpool if you prefer."

"Earth to Jer … I didn't bring a suit.

"Wouldn't bother me." He laughed at the look I gave him and stood, dabbing his chest with the towel. "Then let's just call it." He stretched before wiping down the bench, then shot me a grin before snagging his water bottle and heading back to the locker room. "Thanks for coming, Paul. I hope it didn't traumatize you too much."

I laughed and snapped my towel at him. "Wasn't that bad, considering I was across the room most of the time and didn't have to listen to you grunt and groan."

He smirked. "And I was free of hearing your joints creak." He tossed his towel on the bench in front of his locker before placing a foot on the top and leaning down to untie the shoe. He stood straight and stretched backwards, rubbing his lower back. "I don't remember workouts bothering me so much twenty years ago."

"Twenty years ago we were both on the field practically every day." I dropped shoes and socks into my bag and continued stripping down. "And as I remember, we counted new bruises about that often as well."

He laughed. "That is true. Damn, but we seemed to be more black and blue than not those days."

I grabbed my fresh towel. "And now we're just old and tired. Not sure which is worse."

Jerod stood to follow me into the showers. Hey, you're the old one, remember? I'm younger."

"Uh huh – by two years. At our age I'm not sure two years matters." I adjusted the water and stepped under the hot spray, enjoying the pressure and heat against my shoulders.

Jerod grabbed the shower beside me. "Speaking of which, what are we doing for our birthday this year? We haven't done a combined for a while now."

I considered his question in silence while rinsing my hair. While it was our mutual date of birth that originally drew us into being friends, I wasn't sure I was ready for his outgoing, adventure-seeking attitude in celebrating. I must have paused too long; he spoke up before I had a chance to answer.

"It's not that hard of a question, Paul. I think we should do something major this year. You'll be forty-five and it's the first year we don't have to clear it with someone else." He must have caught the pain register in my face because he rushed to add, "I'm sorry, that probably hurts, but it's true. Come on. Come out with me. If you don't want to celebrate your birthday, then at least help me celebrate mine."

I shut off the shower and looked at him. "If you promised not to go crazy, ok – sure. Let's plan on it."

He shut his shower down and reached for his towel. "When have I ever 'gone crazy'? Ok, you don't need to answer that. You have my word – nothing too wild."

Although I caught his qualification of 'too wild', I let it slide. Jerod was the one person I had always been able to count on to sense where I was in a situation; I owed him my trust now. "Alright. Why not? You're my best friend; we'll do it." I finished drying myself and wrapped the towel around my waist before heading back to my street clothes. The locker door swung open as another man entered. We nodded in passing; he turned and said 'hello' to Jerod. I glanced at him from my locker before turning to my friend.

"Who's he?"

"Garret Sunderson."

"As in the 'Devore Avenue' Sundersons?" They were the owners of five bowling alleys in town.

"One in the same. Met him on the hand-ball courts last summer. Married, four kids, and boringly straight."

I shook my head. "You would know that."

"I've never asked, it's just the way he handles himself – you can tell."

"You've watched him 'handle himself'?" I shot Jerod a look of mock horror.

"Yeah, right. Of course not, though from what I've noticed in the shower, he doesn't have that much to handle."

"So did you win?"

"Huh?"

"Hand-ball. Did you beat him?"

"Oh. We didn't play. I had just finished practicing – he and another guy were taking the room." He paused to give Sunderson a glance before turning his gaze back to me. "Good thing to, the guy's a monster on the court."

I ran both hands through my damp hair to push the unruly mop behind my ears. Many of the waves and curls fell forward again. Jerod just looked at me and grinned.

"What?"

"I'd kill for that hair. Why is it there is not one grey strand in yours, and yet that color is taking over mine?"

"I've heard younger guys really go for that distinguished look."

His grin turned into a full-on smile. "There is that."

Once dressed we grabbed our bags and headed for the door. Sunderson was just heading back from the showers, towel around his waist. Jerod shot him a wave and I repeated my earlier nod, then we stepped into the hall. When we reached the foyer to sign out, Tommy looked up from his computer screen.

"How were the work-outs, gentlemen, or did you just swim today?"

"Maybe next time, uh … Tommy. Today was enough just getting back into the swing of exercise."

Jerod initialed the line for his name and handed me the pen. "It's a shame you can't join us, kid. Show us old farts how it's done."

I chuckled. "Not sure I care to be shown up by a young stud, Jer."

To my surprise, Tommy blushed. "I don't think I could keep up with both of you."

I laid the pen on the pad and shot him one of my best smiles. "I bet you'd do fine. Come to think of it, does the club still do the 'staff celebration' weekend? You could pace us then."

The youth picked up the pen and spun it in his fingers. "It's next month, Mr. Veroll, but I had thought of volunteering to work instead."

"Nonsense, Jerod interjected. "Someone needs to show Paul here what a true athlete can do."

"Definitely." I added. "'Cause it's certain Jerod doesn't know."

Tommy looked at me, the intense blue of his eyes twinkling with interest. "If you say so, Mr. Verroll."

"Excellent." I turned and headed for the door. "I look forward to seeing you."

As we got into the car, Jerod started laughing.

"Now what's so funny?"

"Didn't take you long to get on the make."

"What are you talking about?"

"You – hitting on Tommy."

I was aghast. "I did no such thing."

Jerod paused after sliding his key into the ignition. "I don't think the boy saw it that way."

Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 8
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hehe ...  nice. Nicely developing characters they play off each other beautifully. I am a sucker for funny, hot, older guys...

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Paul, with his "best smile," was totally hitting on Tommy, and Tommy's eyes twinkled "with interest" in return.  Paul's subconscious knows what he needs better than than his conscious self. (Smooth move, subconscious!)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, travlbug said:

Paul, with his "best smile," was totally hitting on Tommy, and Tommy's eyes twinkled "with interest" in return.  Paul's subconscious knows what he needs better than than his conscious self. (Smooth move, subconscious!)

tis true  -  but now the question is what will his conscious do when it catches up?   :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

another nicely done chapter!

and Paul was TOTALLY flirting, and doing it well!

 

thanks :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yep, lots of promise, now even more. We know more about Jared and that Paul still has a lot to learn about himself... nice twist with Tommy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 1/4/2019 at 1:57 PM, mayday said:

Yep, lots of promise, now even more. We know more about Jared and that Paul still has a lot to learn about himself... nice twist with Tommy

thanks

 

Just now, mfa607 said:

Time to get back on the ‘bike’! 

at the very least ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..