Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 319 Words
  • 1,005 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2017 - Spring - Unintended Consequences & Jagged Edges Entry

The Bard's Tale - Prologue. Introduction

Introduction and acknowledgements

This story has its roots in a narrative poem I wrote for a friend on GA last August. He was having a rough time and I wanted to cheer him up. The poem was posted in two parts in my blog – they can be found here,

  and here,

 

The story is presented in the style of a screenplay. However, it is not written to be a functioning screenplay, and, although I've tried to avoid obvious errors, it should not be judged on that basis. All actions and descriptions are in italics within square brackets, the rest is speech. The central characters are deliberately not named or described in any detail, allowing you, the reader, the chance to imagine your own 'actors'.

The action takes place in what may seem to be mediaeval England – but it isn't, quite …


The tale contains verse – none of it mine.

All verse by, or attributed to, the bard is © 2017, Parker Owens. Parker has my deep gratitude for undertaking this commission at a time when his other commitments were more than usually onerous. That the bard has a poetic voice in this tale, is due solely to Parker's generosity and talent. The tale would be much the poorer without it.

Excerpts from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight © 1992, James Winny, published by Broadview Literary Texts.

Translated excerpt from The Canterbury Tales, The Knight's Tale © 1985, David Wright, published by Oxford University Press.


This is my first attempt to write in American speech patterns. Despite my editor's valiant efforts to keep me on the straight and narrow, there may well be some … issues. Please be gentle. Characters speaking non-standard English are not speaking with any particular dialect or accent.


Hopefully, a sequel will follow later in the year, featuring the same principal characters in the dark, gothic, mathematical tale of Count Drewcula.

Copyright © 2017 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2017 - Spring - Unintended Consequences & Jagged Edges Entry

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You took the horns of Homer's bull,

and wrote a tale both fun and full,

a story for both young and old

which you most marvelously told.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 2017-5-11 at 5:16 PM, Parker Owens said:

You took the horns of Homer's bull,

and wrote a tale both fun and full,

a story for both young and old

which you most marvelously told.

 

:P Of course, your comment had to be in verse ... Thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..