Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 6,760 Words
  • 352 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Book of Venoms: A Compendium of Escaria’s Venomous Animals - 1. On Deities of Escaria, part 1

It is important to devote a segment to deities, their history and relationships with each other, as they were the ones who created all life on this continent, including the first venomous creatures.

There is much written matter about the gods and goddesses that created Escaria and all of its living beings. Most of it is in the form of legends and myths, rarely ever from first-hand accounts. This is understandable, as deities are not known to commonly reveal themselves to people, if ever. Even the more approachable ones, such as Lythia, Goddess of Justice and Virtue, barely ever reveal their presence among humans. On the other hand, some of the more elusive deities, such as Umnios, God of Wisdom, avoid even their own kind and mostly live in isolation.

Below is a list of all deities of Escaria as we know them.

 

Altheox - God of Strength and Protection

At first, the deities of Escaria had no strict hierarchy. All divinities respected Eteon, God of Time, as he was the oldest among them, but they were too stubborn to recognize him or any other god as their leader.

Things changed somewhat when Altheox appeared. The God of Time wanted someone who would rule in his stead and make sure other gods did not destroy the world through their conflicts. It is believed that this led him to create Altheox out of a large rock he broke off the Polestar Mountain, which once stood at the south of the continent. This gave the young god unmatched strength and defensive abilities.

Often depicted in ancient drawings as a hulking mass of rock, wielding a large club and shield in his hands, Altheox is a natural-born leader, proficient fighter and fierce protector. It is therefore no wonder he took upon his role of the leader so easily.

Most other gods refused to acknowledge him at first, considering him to be beneath them simply because he was younger. However, through his sound decisions, strength and bravery, he managed to earn the respect of most deities. Eventually, they accepted him as their representative, if not a legitimate leader, as most of them were still far too egotistical for that.

It wasn’t until much later that Altheox would have a truly big impact on Escaria.

When Nammis - the Goddess of Life and Nature - was born and started creating life, she was satisfied with populating the lands and seas with plants and animals. Other deities did their part by creating their own species as well.

However, it was Altheox who realized they could aim even higher and create a new race of beings of supreme intellect and skill. He thus created the first humans, which Nammis brought to life, while Umnios gave them the gift of reason - something that had up to that point only been reserved for deities.

As the biggest change in eons, this move divided the gods and caused them to split into fractions. A majority of them, including Altheox, Nammis, Umnios and Eteon, were in favor of humans and wanted to see them grow and develop. Others, such as Xion, Dreyra and Urorr, opposed this move, believing that gods should remain the only intelligent beings in existence.

Over the centuries, Altheox persisted in protecting humans and making other gods come around and accept them as fellow inhabitants of Escaria.

He is also known as the patron of all travellers, granting them protection during long journeys across the continent. Many people often carry a small stone in their pocket when going on a long journey, believing it would protect them from misfortune.

 

Eteon - God of Time

If Altheox is considered the main god in Escarian mythology, Eteon is the oldest, and some might even say the most powerful. As tall as the highest mountain, and as old as time itself, Eteon has been on Escaria longer than any other living being - perhaps even longer than the land itself.

No one knows what Eteon looks like. Every tribe and civilization throughout the history of Escaria has had their own image of the God of Time that they believed to be true. Some drawings show him as a giant turtle, while others portray him as a tall, old man with skin made of tree bark. Avinae, the race of bird people from the Wastelands, believe Eteon to be a large hummingbird that never sleeps, eternally flying above them, keeping them safe from harm. Who knows if any of these depictions are true? Perhaps none, perhaps all of them.

Despite being the oldest and enjoying great respect from other deities, Eteon was willing to step aside and let Altheox take the lead, preferring to stay in the background and intervene only when absolutely necessary.

It is widely believed this ancient god resides in the warm deserts of Thar. He is quiet, but always vigilant, silently monitoring the flow of time. The full extent of his powers is unknown to all but himself, but it is no secret that all other deities - at least those that are smart enough - fear him to some extent and would rather stay on his good side.

Even though Eteon is believed to have the power to manipulate time to his will, there is no proof he had ever done so. Some ancient tribes believe that if humanity was ever to stray too far from the path of good and descend into war and chaos, Eteon would turn back time and reset the world to how it was before humans ever existed.

Rigid and exacting, the God of Time is said to enjoy putting humans, and sometimes even his fellow deities, through difficult trials, testing their mettle and character. This is especially true for all travellers who pass through his domain. Nomadic tribes of Thar tell tales of how even the strongest and most intelligent men and women would experience hallucinations when passing through Eteon’s domain, the experience often leaving a profound and lasting effect on them.

Eteon is notorious as the strictest of all gods, his trust being very difficult to earn. Of all the deities, he is closest to his two children, Altheox and Lythia. The three are known to often gather in his domain, discussing the past, present, and especially the future of the world. While other deities suspect Eteon knows far more than he is willing to admit, including the fate of everyone on Escaria, he remains silent on these theories, unwilling to either confirm or deny them.

 

Umnios - God of Wisdom / God of Shifters

Umnios was often underrated even among his fellow deities. Living a reclusive life at the cold Cerebon Plateau, he was never particularly strong in combat and would refuse to fight even when provoked by other deities. Instead, he preferred using his wits.

From the very start, Umnios would always keep to himself and affect the world in subtle, yet significant ways. When the first humans were created, it was he who bestowed upon them the gift that would separate them from animals - the gift of reason.

When other gods turned to populating the planet with innumerable animal and plant species, Umnios went a step further. He combined the man and the animal, creating the first Shifters. This act, while controversial at first, finally helped him become appreciated, significantly elevating his status among the divinities. Even so, he stayed quiet and distant, except when it was time to make important decisions.

Umnios is often described as a mysterious cloaked figure wearing a long, dark purple robe. His face is always obscured by shadow, only his eyes emitting a dim yellow glow. Many ancient peoples of Escaria considered him the god to be feared and respected the most. It is said that even many of the deities steer clear from him, unsure of the true extent of his powers.

Some early myths even say Umnios is capable of mind control, which was how he managed to convince most deities to vote in his favor when votes on the future of Shifters were being cast. Several of the gods, however, such as Altheox and Eteon, were resistant to his magic and could not be affected.

It is thought that the creation of the first Shifters was what caused Vilomon, Goddess of Magic, to finally decide to share the gift of magic with people. Not wanting to fall behind in her influence among humans, she created the first sorcerers, allowing them to channel her powers - if only a miniscule fraction of them.

Caring little about Vilomon's actions, Umnios carried on with creating numerous kinds of Shifters. However, his gifts were not gladly received by everyone. While some humans enjoyed turning into powerful animals and releasing their inner beasts, others felt cursed, or were treated as such by less accepting communities. This would lead to divisions and isolation of certain groups, such as the Lykos or Avinae, in various parts of the continent.

 

Nammis - Goddess of Life and Nature

Nammis, also called ‘Spirit of the Forest' by ancient tribes of central Escaria, is the Goddess of Life and Nature, and is one of the oldest deities. She is described as a beautiful woman with long, green hair made out of leaves and vines; her hands are decorated with many rings and bracelets that glimmer almost as brightly as her amber-colored eyes.

As much as Altheox was the main catalyst for creating humankind, it was Nammis who breathed life into the very first humans on Escaria. As the Goddess of Life and Nature, she is responsible for populating the continent with most of its animal and plant life, ensuring that all parts of it, from arid deserts to lush forests and deep seas, have unique species inhabiting them.

While her exact origin is still uncertain, it is believed that Nammis was born shortly after the beginning of the Age of Gods out of the affair between two elemental deities - Dreyra and Xion. Legends say that after their elemental powers combined, a large, perfect sphere appeared in the center of a barren basin now known as the Valley of Life in north Thorodan. By the following morning, the valley turned green, filled with wild growth unlike anything that had ever been seen on Escaria. It was the birth of Nammis, as well as the birth of nature.

In her early days, Nammis was known as free-spirited and enjoyed a reputation as the most pleasant deity to be around. Wherever she walked, animals would follow, as if enchanted.

However, her unique skills and great achievements in creating life caused her to become quite conceited and spiteful. This tarnished her reputation and led to long-standing conflicts with several deities, including Odum and Eteon.

It is said that Nammis was so jealous of Eteon's high standing and influence among the deities, that she started creating increasingly larger animals to prove her powers. This culminated in a race of gigantic reptiles that towered over even the tallest trees. Being so strong, these animals had free reign over their habitats and started hunting all other species, destroying the natural order. However, Nammis was far too arrogant to admit her mistake and correct it.

Eteon took matters into his own hands, slowing the giant creatures down so they were unable to hunt. This made them easy targets for smaller predators that soon eradicated them.

Despite her notoriety among fellow gods, Nammis is one of the most popular deities among humans, especially those living in forests. She is celebrated across the continent, with many festivals and celebrations in her honor being held annually in each kingdom.

 

Odum - God of Death and Underworld

Practical and calculated, Odum rules the underworld with unmatched efficiency. It is he who presides over the world of the dead, overseeing human souls in the afterlife.

As he is the God of Death, humans fear him more than any other deity. When a person dies, the family buries them in the ground to make it easier for Odum to take their soul to the afterlife. It is believed that if people did not bury their dead, the God of Death would come to the surface and take the souls of the entire family.

Despite his notoriety, or perhaps because of it, Odum is present in more folk tales and legends than any other god. According to some beliefs, he has the form of a tall, slim man with dark hair, unnaturally pale skin and a third eye at the center of his stomach. Some believe that whoever was to look at his third eye directly would die within a day.

Odum is avoided and feared even by some deities, most notably Nammis and Themyon, God of Night. As an emotional dreamer, Themyon often feels uncomfortable in the presence of the cold God of Death, and thus tends to stay away from him as much as possible.

However, that is not to say Odum has no friends among his peers. He is known as very persuasive and seductive, with not many being able to resist his charms. He is also one of the most open and honest of the gods, even though his honesty is often interpreted as cruelty.

The God of Death often clashes with his antithesis - the equally power-hungry Goddess of Life, Nammis. In their early days, the two fought numerous battles over the realm of the living, which he wanted to steal from her. He believed Nammis' bad temper would cause others to support him, and even managed to convince several gods to turn to his side.

However, the majority of the gods still ended up siding with Nammis. As the realm of life naturally belonged to her, they did not want to disturb the balance that had been established. Thus, Odum eventually found himself outnumbered and defeated.

Even though he had to return to the underworld, Odum did not wallow in self-pity for long, as he realized there was as much power in death as there was in life.

Now, every year on the first night of winter, known among people as the Night of the Dead, Odum holds a grand celebration in his underground citadel. On that night, people across Escaria go outside and lie down with their ears to the ground, trying to hear the sounds of gods celebrating in Odum's residence, deep below the surface of the earth.

 

Melina - Goddess of Light and Summer

Known as the patron of farmers, Melina is one of the most important deities for the people of Escaria. Often depicted as a beautiful woman with dark skin, brilliant, golden eyes and long, curly hair, she is said to hold the power of the Sun within herself.

People have worshipped Melina ever since the dawn of humanity, making sacrifices and building temples in her honor. Early civilizations that lived in east Escaria centuries ago built sun obelisks dedicated to her all along the coast. These structures were built as high as possible, as if trying to reach the Sun itself. Some of them stand to this day, mainly on the east coast of Thar.

Even though Nammis is the one who created nature and most of its plants, it is Melina that brings them to life every spring through the power of warmth and Sun, helping flowers bloom and fruits ripen. Every morning, she is the one who causes the Sun to rise, bringing a new day.

Legends say that no mortal can look at Melina directly, as their eyes would burn. For this reason, she is said to never reveal herself to humans out of fear that she would kill them.

No other deity has struggled with their powers as much as Melina had. Being the embodiment of the Sun and its light, young Melina used to find the sheer power contained within her overwhelming. Insecure and frightened, she would often hide in underground caves, avoiding her duties. This would cause days to become shorter and winter to take over much of the continent.

It is said that her struggle to control her abilities escalated one day, when out of anger she accidentally set the entire Great Western Forest on fire, destroying it in a single day. To this day, that area holds the name of Wastelands - it is a mostly barren land, consisting of rocky deserts interspersed with thorny bushes and other resilient wildlife.

It was only after meeting Urorr, God of Winter, and Themyon, God of Night, that Melina managed to learn how to control her powers. The two gods trained with her, helping her become the powerful and confident goddess she is now.

According to some legends, the Goddess of Summer resides in Taurus Vale, her favorite sunny valley in Alduin. Farmers living in the area visit the valley several times a year, especially before the sowing and harvesting periods. They leave her offerings in the form of sweet bread and honey, praying to Melina to make the weather favorable and their harvests bountiful.

 

Urorr - God of Winter

Urorr is the strong and quiet God of Winter, inhabiting the Frozen Forest in the far north, the only part of the continent where winter is eternal. He is one of the older gods and represents a primal force of nature, which makes him very powerful and respected among the deities. There are not many gods foolish enough to attempt to go against Urorr or enter his territory with bad intentions.

Working in harmony, Urorr and Melina cause the shifting of the seasons every year. The God of Winter brings the cold, snow and ice, until the Goddess of Summer melts them all away with her heat and radiance, thus beginning a new cycle. Some legends say the two cannot stand to be close together as they are polar opposites, while others say that Urorr and Melina are very close because they complement and are eternally bound to each other.

Unlike most gods, Urorr prefers staying in one of his many animal forms. The northern druidic tribes have numerous tales mentioning colossal bears, impossibly swift silver panthers and giant owls, which are believed to be only some of the forms this god can assume.

As such, Urorr was the most vocal supporter of Umnios and the creation of the first Shifters. In fact, some myths even say that the God of Winter himself was the inspiration for the human-animal hybrid and refer to him as ‘The First Shifter’.

According to one tale, there is a large cave under a hill in the centre of the Frozen Forest. Named the Grunberg Cave, this is one of Urorr’s favorite lairs, where he likes to stay in his bear form. Whenever there is an earthquake in the area, the tribes living at the southern edge of the Forest believe it is the God of Winter stomping the ground with his massive bear paws, displeased over something. They take it as a warning, a sign that they should pray and offer sacrifice to appease the god and avoid punishment.

Living in perfect harmony with nature, Urorr is one of the few gods who nurtures good relations with Nammis. It is said that she often visits his forest, blessing the wildlife living in that inhospitable environment. In return, he protects the Frozen Forest and punishes all humans who attempt to enter and harm it.

Even though he was very much against humans hunting animals for food, Urorr has changed his stance over time. Now, members of northern tribes who need to hunt animals to survive often pray to this god, asking for his permission and blessing.

 

Xion - God of Wind and Sea

Brash and powerful, Xion is one of the oldest gods on Escaria. He has ruled the skies and seas for as long as Dreyra has had dominion over fire and earth. According to legends, the two of them have a long history that culminated in a secret, passionate affair, resulting in the birth of Nammis.

Xion, also known as the 'gray-faced god', is described as a giant with powerful winds eternally swirling around him. He is believed to be able to grow in size to become taller than any mountain and reach the highest clouds.

He rules over the skies and seas, and is said to create winds and storms with the power of his breath. Before embarking on voyages, sailors would offer sacrifice in the form of fish and birds so that the God of Wind would bless them with good weather and spare their ships from storms and sea monsters.

Long before humans were created, Xion started a rebellion, aiming to take control over the entire continent. Unsatisfied with Altheox's passive rule, the God of Wind managed to convince Dreyra to join forces with him and overthrow the ruling god. Together, they launched a surprise attack on Altheox’s base, the Polestar Mountain. The pair fought fiercely against the God of Protection and several other deities that came to support him. Using their immense elemental powers, they devastated the mountain, turning it into rubble. With their powers combined, Xion and Dreyra were unmatched - after a long battle, they finally won and Altheox was forced to step down.

However, Xion's victory was short-lived, as Eteon himself decided to intervene after realizing his son was defeated. The God of Time easily bested both Dreyra and Xion, embarrassing them in front of the entire pantheon and forcing them to retreat.

Since then, the God of Wind has been living a reclusive life on the remote Isle of Flux, tirelessly controlling the air and sea currents. Sailors still avoid navigating anywhere near this island, fearing the legends that the resentful god will send the most violent storms to sink their ships.

Xion is one of the few deities that do not have a habit of helping humans. In fact, it is believed he deliberately controls the air and sea currents in such a way to prevent sailors and explorers from ever straying too far from Escaria and discovering other lands that might lie across the seas.

 

Dreyra - Goddess of Earth and Fire

Headstrong and impulsive, Dreyra is considered one of the strongest deities, both in terms of physical strength and her impact on the world. Ruling over land masses and the fiery volcanoes beneath, she is able to bring destruction to entire kingdoms, as well as sink and create new lands on a whim.

Depicted as a giant woman with four arms, bright red hair and burning eyes, the Goddess of Earth and Fire is equally feared and respected by humans. It is believed that her voice can topple mountains, and that her fiery eyes can set even rock ablaze.

Dreyra is said to reside beneath Escaria, in a massive labyrinth of caves of her own making. However, she consistently avoids approaching Odum's territory out of fear that she might fall for his charms. It is believed that after her failed affair with Xion, she avoids getting too close to any other deity.

Aside from a wealth of crystals and minerals, Dreyra's ancient caverns are also filled with the goddess’s bizarre living creations - fire-spitting bats, phoenixes, giant rock worms, fungi beasts, and many other underground species that thrive in that dark environment.

Although she has calmed down significantly and is now satisfied with spending her time in relative peace, Dreyra was not always this way. In her early days, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions were a common occurrence whenever she was displeased about something.

The southeastern lands of Kar Magan suffered the most because of this. From a once large Magan Peninsula, only a group of islands remained after a series of volcanic eruptions caused by the goddess following a terrible fight between her and Xion. To this day, the Magan Volcano instills fear in the hearts of local tribes, with plumes of dark smoke billowing out from time to time as a reminder of the past destruction and immense power of the goddess.

Dreyra is the patron of miners. They often make offerings and pray that she blesses them with plentiful ore. However, they also fear the volatile goddess, always wary of digging too deep and disturbing her deadly underground creatures.

Centuries ago, miners from the village of Abaki, in the kingdom of Thar, made a terrible mistake of digging too far in their greed for gold. In doing so, they unleashed a horde of fire bats that set the entire village on fire, injuring and killing many. The survivors were forced to flee their homes, leaving the village and all of their possessions to burn.

 

Vilomon - Goddess of Memory and Magic

Highly intelligent and perceptive, Vilomon is the twin sister of Themyon, God of Night and Dreams. Legends describe her as a young-looking woman with moth wings and long, purple hair that only grows longer with each memory she collects.

Her favorite residence is the Sleepless Forest in the kingdom of Menelyn, where she likes to spend most of her time contemplating and practicing magic. It is said that the vast forest, more than any other part of the continent, is infused with her magical essence, which can be felt in every animal and plant living there.

While all deities are able to use magic, it is believed that Vilomon is its source, and that only Eteon’s magic is stronger than hers.

Although Vilomon and her twin Themyon are supposedly close and cherish each other greatly, they are rarely - if ever - seen together. This caused some deities to begin speculating that they are in fact one being who can shift between a male and female form at will.

Despite these rumors, Vilomon nurtures good relations with other deities. She often visits them at various parts of the continent, providing her magical aid where needed. She is said to have grown particularly close to Umnios over the centuries, with whom she likes discussing matters of the mind.

It is Vilomon herself who created the first sorcerers - arguably the most powerful humans that ever existed. When people were first created, they were simple creatures, without any magical abilities. Vilomon was hesitant to share her knowledge with them, unsure if they were worthy enough to wield such great power. It took centuries for the goddess to finally decide to bestow the gift of magic to humans. Even then, she would make it available only to the few that would manage to complete the difficult series of trials she would set before them.

This tradition originated in the Sleepless Forest, where members of local tribes would compete in feats of strength, intelligence and courage, such as climbing the tallest tree and walking through burning coals. Only the best ones would be blessed by the goddess and receive special powers.

The practice of magic trials has long since ceased, but Vilomon’s selectiveness has not, as only a handful of men and women in each kingdom can call themselves true sorcerers.

Although other deities can also bestow certain minor powers to humans, it is believed that only those blessed by Vilomon can become the most powerful sorcerers, able to master nearly any school of magic.

 

Themyon - God of Night and Dreams

Elusive and brilliant, Themyon is the twin brother of Vilomon. He is described as very similar to his sister, with moth wings, long, purple hair and large, starry eyes more beautiful than the night sky.

Being the God of Night and Dreams, he is active mostly at night, and is hardly ever seen during the daytime. Unlike his sister, who is the more practical of the two, Themyon is much more carried by emotions. He is a lover of music and poetry, and often spends his time wandering through meadows and forests, listening to birdsong and writing poems while stargazing.

The God of Night has no permanent residence, but can often be found near the Sleepless Forest, visiting his sister. Much like her, Themyon doesn’t shy away from assisting other deities, helping them interpret their dreams and prophecies. He has the power to discern the meaning of any dream and might even be able to see the future. It is said that even Eteon consults him when he needs assistance with different timelines.

Although close to his sister, Themyon has developed a much deeper and closer relationship with fellow god Mazotl. In fact, Themyon is said to be the only one who has ever seen Mazotl’s true face. The two often spend time together, traversing the vast expanses of Escaria and the sky above it. On their annual journeys across the continent, they are always said to stop by the Isle of Devotion, where they first met, and together observe the sky for one night. That is the longest night of the year, known among people as the Night of Two Gods.

The God of Night is also good friends with Rhyme, God of Love, with whom he shares the love of poetry and fine arts.

It was Themyon who bestowed the gift of dreams to humans soon after they were created. At first, humans were scared and confused by this phenomenon, and it took them a while to learn how to differentiate between dreams and reality. However, they later came to appreciate dreams and even began studying them.

Over time, a cult of Themyon developed among some societies who believed that dreams have healing properties. They began worshipping Themyon, praying to him to bless them in their sleep.

The God of Dreams is said to bless certain people with the ability to have visions. People with such powers are very rare and are known as seers, while some tribes also call them oracles or shamans. They are able to see glimpses of the past, present and future, but their visions are usually vague and difficult to properly interpret.

 

Mazotl - God of Games and Treachery

One of the younger gods in the pantheon, Mazotl is relentlessly energetic and scheming. With his child-like enthusiasm, boyish looks and troublesome nature, he is perhaps the most polarizing of all deities - adored by some and detested by others. While Altheox, Lythia and Urorr see him as a pest that causes nothing but trouble, Themyon, Vilomon and Melina are said to always enjoy his company.

The God of Games is described as having the form of a lithe young man with fair skin and wavy, red hair. He is also known to wear masks at all times, keeping his face hidden from nearly everyone. Every folk tale and myth describes Mazotl’s disguise in a different way - some as a bizarre wooden mask with large eyes and long, sharp teeth, while others as a beautiful face with rosy cheeks and ruby lips. This is only a testament to his elusive nature and desire to create confusion.

Out of all the gods, he is believed to visit humans the most, meddling into their affairs and affecting them in small ways. However, he always shows himself in a different form so that he is never recognized.

This young god is the patron of children. Those known for their curiosity and cleverness are said to have been blessed by Mazotl at birth. People participating in contests and tournaments often pray to him to give them the speed, cunning or luck they need to win. Needless to say, praying to the God of Treachery is never a safe bet, as he might easily decide to bless your opponent for his own amusement.

Never staying in one place too long, Mazotl enjoys nothing more than playing games and causing chaos - sometimes to achieve whatever goal he has in mind, and sometimes merely for pure pleasure. He likes creating new games and rules, only so that he could find loopholes and ways to bend those rules to his benefit. No one knows for certain where his true allegiances lie, which is why other deities like to keep an eye on him whenever possible.

Although light and fleet-footed, the God of Games is not the strongest fighter. However, what he lacks in physical strength, he makes up for in cunning. His mind games and tricks are without equal, often causing trouble even for the God of Wisdom himself.

It is said that the only one who can get Mazotl to calm down is Themyon. When the two are together, the God of Games assumes a more composed, graceful stance, revealing a wholly different side of himself that not many get to see. This leads some to believe that this calmer, mature side is in fact his true personality, and that his playful side is actually a mask he puts on for the world.

 

Phenmera - Goddess of Craftsmanship

One could say that the Goddess of Craftsmanship is as old as the first humans, which would make her the youngest deity in the pantheon. However, Phenmera had existed long before that.

Folk tales describe her as a dark-skinned woman with large antlers, dressed in black robes and wielding a large hammer that is able to both create and destroy things.

In her youth, this intense, stubborn deity was known as the Goddess of Chaos and Destruction. She lived at the top of Fool’s Mountain, on the far north of the present-day kingdom of Menelyn. From her dwelling, she would observe the world and sow discord whenever things would appear to become too peaceful for her liking, even causing deities to turn against each other. It is believed that she was the one who turned Odum against Nammis, causing them to fight each other.

At that time, Phenmera was a close friend of Mazotl, God of Games and Treachery. The two would often compete in who could cause the most trouble and chaos.

However, it is said that shortly after humans came into existence, Phenmera was so intrigued by and enchanted with them, that she decided to abandon her old ways. Instead, she started devoting her time and powers to helping people thrive and improving their lives. She gave them the ability to produce various tools and devices for making food, building shelters, roads, and much more.

At first, other gods were suspicious of her motives, believing that this was only a scheme to create friction among humans and cause a large-scale war. However, as decades and centuries passed, they came to realize that Phenmera had truly changed and became the Goddess of Craftsmanship, leaving her old title behind. This caused Mazotl to distance himself from her, and the two had not been close since.

It is believed that she also taught people how to make weapons and hunt animals for food, which was not received well by Nammis and Urorr. As revenge, the two deities united and ruined Phenmera’s favorite residence - Fool’s Mountain - by covering it in eternal ice and populating it with screeching winter owls. The mountain remains uninhabited by humans to this day, and is avoided even by Phenmera herself.

Nowadays, she is one of the most respected deities in Escaria, with every large town holding annual festivities in her honor. She is the patron of craftsmen, with many guilds using a hammer as their symbol in her honor.

 

Lythia - Goddess of Justice and Virtue

Most myths and legends describe Lythia as the most human-like of all deities. Ancient drawings from across the continent depict her as a tall woman with long, brown hair, holding an abacus that she uses to count people's sins and virtues.

She is one of the youngest deities and is said to have been created by Eteon with the help of his first child, Altheox. As the daughter of Eteon, Lythia inherited his strictness and sense of justice. Still, she is closer to humans than he is, and is said to sometimes intervene in their affairs, helping them resolve their disputes, reward the good and punish the guilty.

Being a creature of order, Lythia is often at odds with Mazotl, God of Games and Treachery. Over the centuries, she has made several attempts to hunt him down and make him face responsibility for his various tricks and schemes, but to no avail. The elusive god would always evade her, only making her more furious and determined.

It is said that on one occasion, Mazotl tricked Xion into entering a cave in which the God of Treachery then sealed him with his magic. Without the God of Wind to control them, the air and sea currents completely stopped, causing all ships to be stranded in the middle of seas and oceans. Incensed, Lythia tracked Mazotl down the very next day and forced him to release Xion. However, the mischievous god escaped before she was able to punish him.

It is believed that, throughout the centuries, Odum has been repeatedly attempting to court Lythia, desiring to bring her with him to the underworld where she would help him punish sinners in the afterlife. Even though she always resists his attempts, he refuses to give up.

Lythia is the patron of kings and rulers across the continent. It is common for royal castles and town halls to have a shrine dedicated to this goddess, where people can pray and bring their offerings if they need assistance.

Thoriox, the infamous first king of Thorodan, was known as a tyrant who did not believe in gods. Soon after he became king, he ordered for all shrines and temples in the kingdom to be destroyed, especially those dedicated to Lythia, and replaced them with his own temples. Several years later, once the largest temple of Thoriox was finished, the king came to visit it. As he ascended to the very top of the building, prepared to give a speech to the citizens, he was struck by a bolt of lightning and died on the spot.

 

Rhyme - God of Love

Rhyme is the youngest deity of Escaria, but certainly not the least significant one. He is beautiful and enchanting, with long, golden hair framing his fair face and falling across his shoulders. His movements are gentle and graceful, and his words flow like music.

It is said that if one feels a warm, soft breeze accompanied by the sweet scent of roses, it means the God of Love has walked past them. That lucky person is then certain to fall in love very soon.

Despite being so young and inexperienced, Rhyme quickly found his place in the pantheon and earned the esteem - and in some cases affection - of his fellow deities.

It is said that Rhyme was born out of a pearl that washed up on the shores of the Isle of Devotion one night when all the planets were in perfect alignment. By the following morning, all of the gods and goddesses had felt the unmistakable presence of a new deity. Some were alarmed, while others excited and curious, as this was something that had not happened in ages. All of them promptly abandoned whatever they were engaged in and rushed to the Isle to meet him. Even the cold Urorr could not resist the pull of the God of Love, and had to come and see him with his own eyes.

Enchanted by the young god’s powers and beauty, many of the deities couldn’t help themselves and started feeling a strong attraction toward him. Some of them even tried to court Rhyme. However, he politely declined all of their advances, stating that he had to stay true to his calling and serve a greater purpose.

Since then, Rhyme has been trying to improve people’s lives by bringing love and passion into them. Helping people realize their true feelings and bringing couples and friends together are his specialties.

Sadly, due to humans’ fickle nature and propensity for jealousy, Rhyme’s attempts would sometimes backfire, causing conflict and even wars.

Despite this, Rhyme remains a highly popular god among the people of Escaria. Lovers in all kingdoms celebrate him, while those who are yet to find their soulmate pray to him in hopes of being blessed.

Rhyme is also the patron of poets, painters and other artists, inspiring them and bringing muses into their lives to help them create works of art. He is close to Vilomon, Themyon and Melina, with whom he is said to often convene across the continent, admiring the beauty of nature and works of art created by humans.

Copyright © 2023 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear your thoughts. :) 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/30/2023 at 6:07 PM, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter, loved reading about the deities of Escaria.

Thanks! Stay tuned for more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/30/2023 at 7:41 PM, akascrubber said:

My favorite deity is Vilomon - Goddess of Memory and Magic

Ooh good choice, Vilomon is definitely a standout. Thanks for reading and commenting!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..