Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 355 Words
  • 289 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Book of Venoms: A Compendium of Escaria’s Venomous Animals - Prologue. Preface

by Parroleus of Willsden


 

Preface

It was never my intention to add the title of author to the brief, yet hopefully significant, list of my achievements. As an alchemist, I am far more suited to practical endeavours, be it in a laboratory or outside of it. My fingers are more accustomed to holding vials and beakers than a quill and parchment.

However, as I am sitting here on this dreary night in a small tavern in Alryne, far from my home in Thorodan, consuming the fifth cup of bitter ashdew tea, one thing has become painfully clear to me. My studies on venomous reptiles of central Escaria have become hindered as I have barely any good source material available around me. I’ve traveled here with the intention of studying the elusive reptiles inhabiting the rocky planes near Alryne, but it seems I must rely mainly on my own knowledge.

Even the old town library, which I’ve visited every day since I’ve arrived here, has proven to be quite barren. Aside from some rather old scrolls describing encounters with Cloud Lizards and Star-seeking Pythons, there wasn’t much useful information at all. Travelling back to my hometown of Willsden to consult my own manuscripts and notes would require another arduous, three-week journey.

Thus, I have decided to take it upon myself to start writing what I hope will become a comprehensive guide on the many venomous and poisonous animal species that inhabit Escaria. In this work, I intend to include all of my extensive knowledge on animals and the toxins they produce, their practical uses and any other information I deem relevant.

Seeing how any proper discussion on animals cannot be complete without also mentioning shifters, they will be another point of focus of this book.

I hope for my work to serve as a reference guide for generations of future alchemists. That being said, I sincerely hope my book is not overlooked by the ordinary man either, as it is my aim to make it not only useful in practice, but also to fill it with knowledge and tales that everyone can appreciate.

Copyright © 2023 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear your thoughts. :) 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Let us see how our alchemist finds out about the venomous creatures and shifters.

It sounds dangerous and he may leave the library.  Will he find a colleague to help?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/30/2023 at 6:04 PM, chris191070 said:

Great Start, can't wait to read more.

 

1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

An auspicious start...

 

On 10/30/2023 at 7:11 PM, akascrubber said:

Let us see how our alchemist finds out about the venomous creatures and shifters.

It sounds dangerous and he may leave the library.  Will he find a colleague to help?

Thank you all, glad to have you along for the ride!

Btw @akascrubber this is going to be more of an encyclopedia, so there won't be a "plot" per se, but I hope you still find it interesting. :)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..