Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    P. E. Knapp
  • Author
  • 3,765 Words
  • 857 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Written for all. Minor situations of hopelessness and being lost. As with all stories, if you're not comfortable. Then please don't read.

Dances with Whales - 3. Chapter 3

Hello everyone! Here is the 3rd chapter of 4. Enjoy!

Logan

While walking back to the condo, I discovered the restaurant was private. Part of the Yacht Club and Marina where the boat was moored. Adding to my issues, people will assume I’m after money. Eric. And I found out his last name was Cox, is obviously wealthy. He has a custom-built trimaran that must cost 4 or 5 hundred thousand. A three-bedroom condo with two cars here in Hawaii. A San Diego condo, with car included. He lives in Houston, Texas and works for an investment firm in Dallas. He also mentioned that after we talk to the FBI tomorrow that maybe we can look into a therapist for me to talk to as well. That rocked me back on my heels. In retrospect, he may be right. The Police and Eric advised me not to communicate with Alex or anyone outside my family until their investigation concludes. Eric believes the FBI will take care of the investigation, as I was reported as a missing person. My job granted my request to stay away from work on 6 weeks’ family leave after Eric suggested it. They thought I quit, but when nobody from work, not even the police, could reach me. My case went from a wellness check to a missing person.

Amanda

Yesterday and then this morning, I watched the interaction between Logan and Eric. It was… interesting to watch the two of them dance around each other. More interesting was yesterday when Eric first introduced Logan to me. He was full of pride. Something I have never seen when he dated Robert, or Peter, for that matter. Never really caring for either of them, but Logan. I’m having trouble putting my finger on it, but that drawing Logan into his arms in the bedroom. That was a side of Eric I have experienced before. The side that just wants to hold you tight and make all the pain go away. And somehow it does or did at my grandmother’s funeral. Eric was a presence. He was just there. He listened, held me, made suggestions as if there was a teleprompter giving him cues, because that is Eric. The real Eric, not the one that dated Robert and Peter. Even now, they work together like a well-oiled set of gears. Each tooth on the gear pushing or taking the load from the other. Then there was what happened when they came back after the FBI visit. Logan said something and Eric turned slowly towards him. The mischievous smile and twinkling eyes spoke volumes as he replied,

“We could ask the dolphins.”

I didn’t understand that, but Logan obviously did. It was like someone hit a switch. He went from sad and depressed to smiling as he laughed to himself before his head raised and twisted to face Eric responding.

“Won’t Neptune or Poseidon get mad at you for talking to their dolphins?”

Eric shrugged. “Like everything else that has happened, we’ll take it one day at a time.” And with that said. Logan nodded as he hugged Eric.

“Thank you.” He mumbled as Eric engulfed him. I could see the tension drain out of Logan as those hands gently rubbed his back and the nape of his neck. He stayed almost a minute before he pulled back. “I’ll need to make arrangements to return to San Diego.” Logan said.

“You could fly out with me. I was leaving on July 12th. Is that good enough?” I asked. When Eric raised his eyebrows, I continued. “I had to change my schedule. I only have 14 days. I’m not the big guy with vacation whenever I want.”

“True.” Eric said as he turned back to Logan.

Eric

Turning back to Logan, I spread my hands apart, palms up in a welcoming gesture as I spoke. “Mi casa es su casa. You are welcome to stay as long as you want.” Logan frowned as he shook his head slowly.

“I can’t.” He started, but my hand shot up in the universal sign of stop, cutting him off.

“But. I can. You are my guest and have no room or board costs while here, outside of any personal items you want to buy.” His frown deepened, and Amanda tilted her head in thought. I could almost see when the light bulb popped on as she understood the problem.

“Dude.” She said to Logan, “You don’t know who you are dealing with. You’re not gold digging or getting a sugar daddy or whatever other name you want to call what you are thinking. Eric does very well in life and invites people all the time to join him. Like me or Reuben and Harold, but Reuben had too many surgeries scheduled for this trip.” Amanda said. That had her desired effect, as Logan tilted his head in thought. He looked at me, then back at Amanda, before speaking.

“I guess I should stay a few days. Let authorities investigate the incident.” Logan said softly, sounding a combination of relieved and deflated simultaneously. Amanda gave him a sharp nod.

"Now that we have settled that, let's go grab the car and head over to the other side of the island for a late lunch and some sightseeing," I said, as everyone agreed.

It was almost 5pm when my phone rang. Amanda was driving with Logan in the front seat as I sat in the back, working on a spreadsheet on my laptop. Amanda was explaining how she drives while I worked out my ideas for my team back in the office. I’ve made such good decisions for the funds over the years that my boss lets me do almost whatever I want as long as the work gets done. Hence the desk set up in my bedroom.

“I need to take this. Please pull off on the next turn out.” The car braked suddenly as she slowed us before pulling off. “You’re working late Jeff. What’s up?”

“Hi Eric. I sent you a document, but I’ll summarize.” He said as I listened. Amanda had twisted in her seat and her lips puckered at the look on my face.

“I’ll head straight back to the condo and pull it up. I’ll call you back in the morning, Jeff. Thanks for letting me know immediately.”

“That is what you pay me the big money for, but more importantly.” He sighed. “Everyone on the team was stunned. Thought they had seen it all. I figured we should get you in the loop, soonest, and let us know how you want it handled.”

“As always, Jeff, you and your people are correct. Thank you and thank them for me. I’ll figure it out tonight. Have a good evening.” I finished as I disconnected. I closed my laptop and placed it back in its travel case before I opened the door and stepped out.

“I’ll drive babe.” I said as I walked around the car.

“Is everything OK? I know that look, Eric. I saw it when you went on the attack with Robert.” She asked as she pulled me into a tight hug.

“Yes Amanda. Everything will be fine. I just need some time to put all the pieces together.”

She nodded as we changed seats. Logan was looking at me, concerned, as I reset the seat and mirrors before taking off. At a higher rate of speed than Amanda was driving. The Sequoia had the big v-8 but not the high-speed handling needed. Still, I made good time on the mountainous roads back to Waikiki. The ride was quiet as I pulled into town.

“Can I drop you two at the Chinese place to get us dinner, while I park and head up to the condo to use the system to view the documents?” It was just a block away, but parking always sucked.

“That’s fine. You want your usual?” Amanda asked.

“Two orders of scallion pancakes and boiled wontons to go with my usual, please.”

“Got it. See you in about 30 minutes.” She said as they got out and I drove off.

Amanda

Logan followed me into the Chinese restaurant and we made our order for takeout before I pulled Logan over to a set of chairs and sat.

“That phone call was Eric’s lawyer. If you didn’t guess.” I whispered to Logan. “I’m not sure what that was all about, but I can guarantee it had to do with you and everything that is going on.” Pausing, I waited for it to sink in before continuing. “He is now reading whatever they sent and I am sure he is looking at options. His people are good, very good as well as expensive. They are the type of lawyers that leave no stone unturned while looking for a solution. Eric will, I am sure, show you what they sent and ask you what you want to do.” I watched as he got that look again and I grabbed his hand. Shocking him at first until he saw it wasn’t in anger but support.

“Listen. I know Eric. He likes you and wants to help. Get the thoughts of you owe him or he is your sugar daddy or whatever and dump them. Eric doesn’t work that way. He doesn’t give handouts. He gives a helping hand. Your situation has him mad. That is a side of him you don’t want to be on. He is in your corner. Whatever that document is, whatever he suggests, you need to look at it with an open mind and heart. The only question you should focus on is whether Eric’s idea will solve whatever the problem is. Not what it costs, not what people will think of you for letting him spend all that money or anything else. Point Eric in the direction you want him to go and get out of his way until the dust settles. Then you step in, wrapping him in your arms and kiss him, if that is what you want from him in the long term.” I sat back after I finished my warning slash suggestion and watched all the various emotions flash across his face as he digested all the information I just gave him.

Logan

On so many levels, I was stunned at the words that just came out of Amanda’s mouth. She seemed to know what I was thinking and slammed that door shut before I could even think it. Holding my hand in support, she told me his lawyers have found something out and he is going to ask me what I want to do about it. It will be another time of him spending money for me, a lot of money. That I could never afford myself and she told me to just ignore that. To tell Eric what I want and let him do it. Then she follows that up with the comment that I should grab him in a hug and kiss, if that was what I wanted. Did I? Does the fact I might feel interest in him show? I didn’t know how I felt about that. Eric has shown me he cares. He has held me without judgment as I cried. She is also right that he is mad. I saw that peek through his expression as we first got Internet and he searched for information on me, pulling up the news story. I was upset, but he was… pissed. Like he wanted to reach out and throttle someone. Is that being protective of me? Then there are the little private jokes we seem to have. Eric’s dolphins are at the top of the list. Something he can quietly mention that will remind me when nobody else was there for me. He was. I needed to think for a while and I think that was Amanda’s thoughts behind telling me everything just now. I squeezed her hand twice before I looked over at her.

“Thank you for explaining that to me and giving me time to get used to it before Eric brings it up.”

“Eric will probably be mad at me for robbing him of another chance to comfort you,” she said with a smirk, “but you are welcome.” I grinned back at her, knowing what she said might just be truer than either of us thinks.

We were walking back to the condo. I carried the bag of hot food, and she motioned to me to wait for a minute as she popped into a shop and came out a few minutes later with three very large 20 oz drinks in a carrier.

I gave her raised eyebrows as she smiled. “You’ll see.” Before we turned the corner and headed for the condo entrance.

Eric

Thankful, I asked them to get dinner as I had just finished the four-page document and I was opening the supporting documents. My blood pressure was right through the roof, and this was only the beginning of the investigation. I can’t believe what the statements of his supposed boyfriend Alex and their friends said. According to them, he wasn’t on the trip. Of course, that doesn’t jibe with what Mexican authorities said as his passport was recorded as having arrived at the same time and date as they had on the same boat, but since they are stupid enough to use that line. Well. I’ll use it and hang them with it. All of them. I thought as I read through each statement. I heard the door open and I shutdown my laptop at the sound of Amanda telling Logan where the plates and silverware were. I smiled until I heard the distinct sound of the handheld drink mixer whirring.

With raised eyebrows, I walked out into the living area to see Amanda, handing a large 20 oz drink to Logan to try. He took a slurp out of the straw and smiled a nod as she handed him another and nodded in my direction.

“I take it you stopped in that little shop for the XL Pina Coladas and added our usual.” I said to the room at large.

“We did.” Said Logan as he handed one to me. I tasted it and gave them a nod of approval.

“Thank you. That hits the spot.” I said to Logan. Even though I know it was Amanda’s doing. She smiled over at us. Before, she called us over to the table.

“Let’s relax and eat, then you can get that anger off your chest.”

“You’re getting better at reading me.” I said, as I smirked at her.

“I’m the best non interested girlfriend you ever had.” I had to give her that one and I dipped my head as you would to acknowledge a touch in fencing. She was my best friend. Logan watched us as someone would watch a tennis match. Head swinging from one side of the court to another. Some concern in his demeanor, but mostly relaxed. I am sure Amanda said something, as she has taken a liking to him. More so than anyone I have ever dated. And he smiled at me as he handed me my drink. Not a polite smile either, something deeper with more meaning. My head tilted a tad at that thought before I gave myself an internal shake.

Amanda

We had made it through dinner before Eric spoke about what his lawyers had sent. I watched the two of them carefully and it was there. Eric was mad. Very mad, but the looks he gave Logan left no doubt in my mind that Logan would be the person he marry’s and spends the rest of his days with. All Logan had to do was kiss him and that would set in motion a course of events that only the world ending itself could stop. I saw the emotions building, and so did Eric, as he stood and rounded the table. He helped Logan stand, his body visibly shaking, and then shifted his arms, lifting Logan off the ground and carried him to his room. The cries and harsh words from Logan could be heard, as well as the commanding, yet soothing tone of Eric. When I checked in on them, Eric had him asleep in his arms. He was still awake as he nodded to me, then shifted, sliding out from under Logan to join me in the living room.

“Good call on the rum. Just enough to lighten the mood.” He said as he hugged me.

“I figured something was bad by the look you had on the phone before you ended the call. But when you walked into the living room. I saw that look before you hid it. You want blood. I just don’t know what to say about that. I don’t even understand why they would even deny he was there.”

I let out a sigh as I released her and sat down hard on the couch. “I don’t understand it either. On so many levels. You are right. I want blood. I want all of them gone, behind bars. Never to be seen again.”

“What do you do now?”

“Wait. Wait for the FBI to give us more information. See if they go straight for charges or if we should just open a lawsuit and clean them all out to put in Logan’s accounts.”

“Didn’t they live together?” Amanda asked.

“Yes. According to the Sheriff’s department. All of his stuff was gone, except items in the storage unit in the apartment building. That didn’t go over well with trophies and award plaques, with Logan’s name on them.” I paused in thought for a few heartbeats. “I’m going to let him use the condo in San Diego, and I’ll fly over with him to get him settled in and deal with the lawyers Jeff recommended to be the front team in San Diego.” She smiled that annoying, knowing smile at me.

“So. You found your merman. He’s the one?” She asked. My mouth opened and shut as I looked into her eyes.

I huffed out an exhale and spoke slowly. “I don’t know. Maybe.”

Again, she gave me that smile I hate so much as it shows me. She is reading all the right signs. “I’ll start shopping for my gown. What would I be called? Groomswoman? I am going to be in it at your side at the altar, right?” She asked with all the sweet innocence she could muster. I had no response. I was frozen as she laughed. It was slow at first, but built up to a full, rolling belly laugh I tried to silence. Afraid she would wake up Logan.

“The look on your face. Priceless.” She said, then rubbed her hands together. “So? Wedding planning. Summer, fall, winter or spring?” I snorted and stood walking away, hands waving in the air, to my room as she continued to laugh.

Eric

I didn’t close my door and still heard her chuckling in the other room, as I was sure she was texting everyone. I sat down at my desk and pushed the papers to the side. My mind was done for tonight. Too many thoughts scurried around in my head like mice in a house on fire. They were unstoppable. She might be right. I heard from the back of my brain. He might be the one. I started my breathing exercises to help clear my mind so I could sleep. After fifteen minutes, I was calmer and headed for the shower.

Sunlight streamed into my bedroom as I didn’t close the heavy blinds last night and decided I might as well get down to the business of the day. Logan and I would have to talk more about what to do. Hopefully, he has let go of the anger for that discussion. Heading for the kitchen, I decided to cook breakfast as I started the coffeepot. I heard the barefooted steps as they entered the kitchen before, I heard the soft-spoken words.

“Thanks for holding me until I fell asleep.” Logan said as he approached.

“You needed to release the anger and be held.” I paused and turned to him. Eyes red and hair was disheveled. I didn’t care as I looked into those eyes and opened my arms. He settled himself against me. Arms around my waist. Head on my shoulder as I closed my arms around him. “We need to talk more about that today and make some decisions.” I finished. He nodded into my shoulder.

“I could help you make breakfast.” He said as a change of subject.

“OK. Grab the bacon out and I’ll find the pancake mix.” I replied as he gave me a squeeze and moved to the refrigerator.

That’s where we were when Amanda smelled the bacon and came in search of coffee. We were standing side by side as he tended the bacon and I was working on the pancakes. She poured herself a cup of coffee, taking a few sips before she went and grabbed the eggs out of the cooler. Cracking 6 into a bowl and whipping them up. She finally turned and mumbled.

“You two look awfully domesticated this morning.” I snorted as Logan dropped a piece of bacon into the grease he was trying to flip and splashed a spot on himself, jumping back.

“She grows on you after a while. Not very coherent in the morning until the third cup of coffee.” Which earned me a smack on the shoulder as she mumbled something else before departing the kitchen.

The smile crossed my face as I whispered, “I wonder what the dolphins would have to say about this.” Which produced the smile I was hoping for as he bumped shoulders with me.

“You and your dolphins.”

“Actually. I think they were your dolphins. You were in the water playing with them.” For a moment, I thought I went too far with the joke until he turned to me. That smile that reached his eyes formed. His eyes were still red, but now filled with mirth.

“Maybe they are. Or maybe they think we should be together.” Those eyes positively twinkled.

“Guess we’ll have to go sailing and ask them.” I said, smiling as I flipped a group of pancakes out of the pan and poured a new batch. He chuckled next to me as he pulled out the cooked bacon and added more to the pan. I guess we looked like a domesticated couple. That thought made my smile broaden and so was his.

Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2024 P. E. Knapp; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 21
  • Wow 1
As always it has been fun to write this and would really enjoy hearing from the readers in the comments below.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Cane23 said:

They lived together!!!!?????!!! 

You see neighbor almost every day, or lady at the grocery store...and you hear something happened to them...and you feel sorry for them. You live with the guy and just 'put him in the garbage'..! Reading the chapter and the comments, I'm really wandering is Alex just stupid or what..? Like, the complete idiotic plan has been made in some panic. Could it be possible that in the boat were some other substances beside alcohol...? 

Thanks for the comment! 

Yeah. One thing I've learned in all my years is not to be shocked at the shear amount of stupidity and lack of common sense. Then again, he probably thought it might never come out in public. If Logan drowned and they didn't say anything, then no one would know. The fact that Logan made it to Hawaii and talked to the Coast Guard first starts a cascade of events. From the CG informing the FBI, to the CG investigating the incident also. Follow that with the Sheriff and then the FBI investigating. I am sure panic was the word of the day for several days.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, P. E. Knapp said:

It drops at 6:14 pm Sunday.

Um, exactly which time zone would that be?

1 hour ago, P. E. Knapp said:

From the CG informing the FBI, to the CG investigating the incident also. Follow that with the Sheriff and then the FBI investigating. I am sure panic was the word of the day for several days.

I think all the "tidying up" of the apartment happened before they knew they were being investigated by the FBI. At first, it would have been the San Diego PD on a missing person report. That likely caused them to make it look like Logan didn't live there.

Now, however, the FBI is stepping in. The fishing pond just got larger.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

Um, exactly which time zone would that be?

US Eastern Standard Time. From 10:10 am (Current time) 8 hours and 4 minutes until it drops.

I forget we have readers from all over the world. I'll add in the time zones in the future.

 

Edited by P. E. Knapp
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Al Norris said:

I think all the "tidying up" of the apartment happened before they knew they were being investigated by the FBI. At first, it would have been the San Diego PD on a missing person report. That likely caused them to make it look like Logan didn't live there.

Now, however, the FBI is stepping in. The fishing pond just got larger.

I was thinking that Alex realized once they returned without Logan, that he would have problems. I am figuring he might have had a whole week before the first of the people investigating Logan's disappearance arrived and then once Logan himself reported into Hilo... Eric's version would be incontrovertible as he checked out with the CG in San Diego and left them his probable route as well as he had his own logbook to show the location as documented at time of rescue. I'm just thinking Alex and company all had several days where panic was the word of the day with the Coast Guard and FBI getting involved. 

Thanks for the comment @Al Norris!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

When I saw the title "Dances With Whales" I thought, since a "whale" has been used at times for someone rich, someone powerful, or someone very influential, or any combination of the three -- someone is getting involved with the rich and/or powerful.  Looks like I was right.  Eric will not let this slide.

Eric also knows Logan is not after him by making himself look like a stranded person in the ocean -- it would have taken too much planning and coordination to pull that off.

I really like Amanda.  We need more info on her.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..