Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 2,625 Words
  • 2,735 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mparntwe. - 20. Chapter 20

Surprised Americans.


 

MPARNTWE Chapter 20.

***

"He's announced that he'll be presenting a series of papers on his research when the World Energy Conference meets in Geneva two months from now."

"What's wrong with that? He's had meetings and discussions with many of those scientists over the course of this project and it sounds like the appropriate place to get the recognition he deserves."

Darri was talking with Baradin about Jarra's decision to travel to Geneva.

"Yirgella doesn't want him to go. He's worried it might be dangerous and I agree with him. The scientists and researchers we have at Alkere and the Mparntwe University are more eminent than the overseas ones anyway and they have also had a higher degree of involvement with him and we're trying to persuade him to make his presentation here in Mparntwe."

"So why does he want Geneva? He always has reasons."

"Yes, he says his discovery is for the World and the World Energy Conference is the right place to present it. We all agree with that but the reaction against his Power Supply has been quite frightening."

Baradin stared.

"Why? A new power source helps everyone."

"It's too much change and it's coming from Jarra who is closely linked with the AIs."

Baradin shook his head in disgust.

"Not again! Those same corporations and governments?"

"Yes, and particularly the governments because it reduces one of the methods of control over their populations."

"Directed governments! I'll never understand them. Why haven't I heard of this? There's been nothing on the InterWeb."

"There have been murmurings but you're right and most of it has been behind closed doors. Yirgella knows though. He's never stopped monitoring their activities and he's very concerned."

"Yirgella's security is the best in the world. He'll protect Jarra."

"That's what Jarra says but Yirgella's not so sure. It's very difficult to protect one individual in those gigantic European Communities. Their security systems aren't as good as ours and he wouldn't have direct control like he does with ours. The biggest danger among the masses of population there would be a small team trained to work without electronic backup. They'd be practically invisible till they took some sort of action."

"Two months. That's very short notice but I'll see if I can negotiate to bring the Conference here. I think our new scientific community might have enough influence to make that happen."

Darri was very enthusiastic about that.

"Yes. That's a great idea. It makes sense too because with all the structures and research Jarra and Yirgella have developed Alkere is the real center for World energy anyway. Add the incentive of seeing a working Positronic Power Supply firsthand and they mightn't be able to resist coming."

Baradin grinned.

"We'll throw in free travel around Australia on the Vac trains for a two-week period."

"Take them to see the NanoFactory complex at the Birringurra and offer them places at the symbolic deconstruction of the first Alkere Solar Array."

"Deconstruction? Are we pulling one down?"

"Of course. They're all redundant now and the land will steadily be reclaimed."

"Another thing I haven't been told about. What will happen to Alkere Inc? Will Burnu have to find a new job?"

Alkere Inc will grow and become more important than ever. The Solar Arrays will gradually diminish but Geothermal output will continue and Burnu will be busier than ever administering the new facility when the Power Supplies go into production."

"Has Jarra relaxed at all?"

"He's very excited. The successful test of their prototype last week was the biggest moment ever for his work with Yirgella and he laughs all the time because Mirri keeps telling everyone he's the best scientist in the world. I don't think he'll really relax till the Mparntwe power station is built though and they go on their holiday with Karmai and the twins."

"Is the holiday definite? He hasn't had a proper holiday for ages."

"It's locked in. They're spending a week at Geriwerd in Victoria, a week in Tasmania, and then a week at Birringurra and Monkey Mia.

"They're away the whole time? I'll miss more walks."

"That's clever planning on our part. If he stays at Mparntwe he'll find things to do out here at Alkere. You could easily join them for a day at Gariwerd or Birringurra."

"Does he have much to do? There must be finishing up work before he starts any new project."

"There won't be a new project for ages. They'll be working to refine their ideas and establish the most reliable production models for months yet. It will be like the nano project and never really end.

***

"Will you see the lights with us, Yirgy?"

"Not through your ComPatches, Mirri, but when Jarra sends them through his InfoPad I will."

Mirri was very intrigued about the special lights that were going to be in the sky while they were away on their biggest explore trip ever.

"Can we see them tonight?"

"Yirgy doesn't make them, Mirri. The sun does, and they won't start for another two weeks yet and that's when we're at the Hollow Mountain."

"Will we go inside the mountain?"

"You will, Mirri. It will be too steep for me but you'll tell me what it's like."

"Two weeks is a long time."

Jarra laughed and bumped against Mirri. His eagerness to see the special lights, really the Aurora Australis being excited by a solar flare predicted for the same time as their excursion, was catching.

"No it's not. It's only fourteen days and we'll be seeing Karmai and Barega and Akama."

Jarra was right. Mirri would be so busy the time would fly.

"You've got three guiding expeditions to Ularu and then another one and after that you have to organise all our holiday supplies and equipment."

"Yes, it's a lot of work. Yirgy will help me."

"I certainly will, Mirri, and we'll make sure you have everything ready when Karmai gets here."

***

Rather proudly, Jarra flipped the switch to bring the Mparntwe Positronic Power Supply online. The switch was temporary, built for this momentous occasion. The success of the working model had been far more exciting of course but the completion of this unit, Mparntwe's new energy supply, would be the practical demonstration to the rest of the world of what he and Yirgella had achieved.

Yes, rather proud, gathered with the Council and Alkere project leaders, that his project had finally proved successful. Even Yirgella had doubted its feasibility till the last six months, and his own confidence had been tested for eight months of the previous year when every approach seemed to go nowhere. Nearly five years of constant work. Five years which, even providing he had the backing of a wealthy community like Mparntwe, should have taken a lifetime. Yirgella's resources, especially the NanoFactory, had made it all possible.

***

"I know what will happen, all sorts of things and you won't tell me about them. I'll get back and it will take weeks to catch up with all your surprises."

"Not this time. The only new thing I haven't told you about is the Positronic Power Supply for our underground Community. I've decided to build it now rather than wait for new refinements. The major work while you're away will be the production plant and you know about that. Anything else will be a surprise for me as well. You're right though. While you're away I expect you to relax and enjoy your adventures.

I do have one decision I'd like you to make right now and then forget."

"What is it?"

"We've received a financial offer for the rights to the Power Supply."

"That's silly. Some of the components can only be built with a NanoFactory and that means an AI has to be involved.... Is it one of our Communities, or Canberra or Freedom?"

"We'd continue doing the building but hand over the control of prices and distribution. It's a vast amount of income, Jarra. We'd recover the investment we've made for the whole project with the first payment and the amount would increase with every year."

Jarra thought for a moment then stared at Yirgella's image.

"We're not going to accept any offer. That's my view. It's our invention and Burnu will do all the marketing and distribution at prices we think are fair. There's something you're not telling me though, isn't there? You wouldn't be expecting me to make an on the spot decision about so much finance otherwise."

"Excellent. We share the same view. And you're right, the offer comes from the people behind the early attacks and the current AI related sanctions."

Jarra was totally taken aback.

"An agreement with them? They can't be serious."

The fronting Corporation making the offer is quite reputable. I had to follow a devious trail to find the real backers, and yes, they're very serious. They understand just how important our new Positronic Power Supply is, and getting some form of control will be a top priority. I expect the governments involved will legislate for jurisdiction over any of our Power Supplies which enter their countries when we reject this offer."

"Well that will be their problem because they won't get any if they try that. The rest of the world will get them first."

***

Jarra watched the family huddled round Mirri, totally engrossed, as he showed them the green frog he'd caught. They were in the valley of Eagles with a small but very important group of people from America who'd heard about the unique experience of one of Mirri's guided trips from Baradin and expressed an interest in trying it out. Normally it was rare for Jarra to see any of Mirri's work expeditions because they only happened during his four days at Alkere and coming along now was a great opportunity. Back at the Explorer Center he'd been worried that his presence might take too much of Mirri's attention but, no, this was Mirri's proper job and when the group of six people arrived he'd greeted them as if they were friends he'd known forever.

Oh my, no wonder Mirri's trips had a reputation. Their surprise at this greeting had quickly changed to curiosity, the realisation that this friendly person was indeed quite different, and then to interest as he chatted eagerly about some of the things they might like to see. The Valley of Eagles had really struck a chord and when one of the men said the eagle was a special symbol for American people the choice of trip for the day was instantly agreed.

Mirri laughed happily because it was his favorite place to take people exploring and the group had been pulled into their own smiles.

"Little frog is very clever. He breathes through his skin in the water and he barks in the night time."

"Does he really bark?"

"Funny bark. JJ showed me at the nature Park."

The group looked at Jarra. He was staying in the background as much as possible but by now they all understood how important he was to Mirri and he gave a nod of agreement but didn't say anything.

Mirri looked down at his pendant ComPatch.

Yirgy, please make the barker frog sound.”

The InfoPad on Jarra's personal carrier immediately sounded and everyone looked over again. When the sample sound finished one of the Senators asked Mirri if Yirgy was his nickname for Jarra. Mirri didn't know what nickname meant and answered that Yirgy was his friend then left it to the helper guides to explain. They in turn must have thought it was more appropriate for Jarra to answer and looked to him.

Yirgy is Mirrigan's name for Yirgella, our Alkere AI, and he watches everything Mirrigan does through our special ComPatches. Mirrigan asked him to send the sound to my InfoPad.”

The Senator looked astonished.

"Mirrigan talks to the AI when he's out here? ...And uses a nickname? ...And those pendants are ComPatches?”

Yirgella has a special relationship with Mirrigan and watches over him wherever he goes. Our pendants are high performance, high security ComPatches designed for people associated with Yirgella or Mirrigan.”

Looks passed between the four adults and the father of the teenagers, the State Governor, spoke first.

You mean the AI is here right now?”

Jarra nodded and was about to say more but the InfoPad speakers sounded with Yirgella's voice.

Hello, Mirri. Can I interrupt your exploring for a moment and speak to your friends?”

Yirgy! We have a tree frog. Can you see him?”

Mirri's delight at hearing Yirgella was evident, as was his agreement that he could say anything he wanted.

Yes, he's magnificent isn't he. I think you should let the young ones have a closer look.

Governor, greetings to you and your family and companions. I don't intrude on Mirrigan's expeditions unless he requests it. Because Mirrigan and Jarra are our most important human acquaintances we like to keep a watch out for them whenever possible and the pendant ComPatches facilitate that in locations near our facilities. If privacy is a concern I will delete all data relating to your trip as it comes to me. Rather than interrupt your encounter with the Centralian Tree Frog I will answer any questions when Baradin introduces you formally at our arranged meeting tomorrow.

Happy exploring, Mirri.”

Mirri smiled then took over again and persuaded the teenage girl to carefully hold the frog for a moment before letting it go 'home'. The girl looked very diffident about touching it and when Jarra asked Mirri later why he'd chosen her to hold it instead of her brother, was told that she liked the frog more and it would be happy with her friendly hands.

In the valley, when it was time for lunch, Jarra waited, with some embarrassment, but not really, while Mirri co-opted the whole group to help make a proper bed so he could rest comfortably when they went further along to check for any activity at an Eagles eyrie which Mirri had discovered on a previous expedition. Jarra caught the smile passing between Mirri's two helper guides and, wondering what he'd missed, gave them a querying look.

"It happens all the time, Jarra. No ordinary guide would have two senators, a state governor and two fairly spoilt youngsters happily running hither and thither for grass and leaves to help make a bed. That boy was almost obnoxious at the Explorer Center while we were waiting for Mirrigan to arrive."

That boy, with no sign of any obnoxious behaviour or attitude, sat right next to Mirri while everyone ate the packed lunches the helper guides produced from their backpacks. His sister sat on the other side and they both asked non-stop questions about things they'd seen or might expect to see. It was interesting to see the contrast between the fair complexion of the Americans and Mirri's almost ebony skin and thick hair.

The adults were just as involved and Jarra sensed that some of their questions came from curiosity and anticipation for the way Mirri might answer and some from the startling revelation of his regard by the AIs. When a question was too complex or about something he didn't know the helper guides would give an answer then fall quiet and let the attention return to Mirri. That didn't happen much though, because the group had quickly adopted a suitable pattern of speech.

The lunch finished and Mirri gave what Jarra recognised as one of his checking looks.

"JJ has to sleep now. He has bad muscles. We will be very quiet and explore for the eyrie."

***

The end of Chapter 20.

 


 

Surprised Americans.
Copyright © 2015 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Pesky foreigners in their midst, beware. Thank you for this thoroughly enchanting chapter. Nice to see Jarra getting a well deserved break as well as showing us clearly what Mirri is doing for his job. I am very curious about what encounters you have planned for Jarra at this conference, all very exciting really.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Of course the Directed States are behind an attempt at controlling the new energy source--that has to be the best way to control populations ever devised by man--and will be even more so in the future.
By all means, Jarra must be kept out of any areas Yirgella can't protect--he is far too valuable to risk. So is Mirri, for that matter. Things are moving right along, and I wonder what the next big idea will be for our 'threesome' to explore. I can't help thinking about the space habiats....
More please, my friend!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/09/2015 11:17 PM, Dathi said:

Pesky foreigners in their midst, beware. Thank you for this thoroughly enchanting chapter. Nice to see Jarra getting a well deserved break as well as showing us clearly what Mirri is doing for his job. I am very curious about what encounters you have planned for Jarra at this conference, all very exciting really.

I don't think I made quite enough of Jarra's work efforts and the break is more than deserved.

Drama is imminent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/10/2015 03:03 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Of course the Directed States are behind an attempt at controlling the new energy source--that has to be the best way to control populations ever devised by man--and will be even more so in the future.

By all means, Jarra must be kept out of any areas Yirgella can't protect--he is far too valuable to risk. So is Mirri, for that matter. Things are moving right along, and I wonder what the next big idea will be for our 'threesome' to explore. I can't help thinking about the space habiats....

More please, my friend!

Once again you're on the track - lol - but not quite.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..