Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 3,894 Words
  • 3,540 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mparntwe. - 13. Chapter 13

Jarra introduces the NanoFactory and Mirri gets upset.

MPARNTWE Chapter 13.

***

At the end of eight months Jarra and Yirgella ended NanoFactory work as their major focus.

It was a far reaching project and in reality Jarra understood that it would continue indefinitely and while their original goals had been well and truly reached, every plateau of research and development brought new refinements and capabilities to consider.

The prototype which became functional in the seventh month made a huge difference to their progress because many things which had previously taken Jarra days to put together could now be built in a fraction of the time and in a bootstrapping kind of way the NanoFactory built new sections of itself for installation and testing.

One week before Jarra's trip to Carnarvon with the family the whole Alkere staff plus Baradin and the Council gathered for the official first production effort of the Alkere NanoFactory and after making a formal request for Yirgella to set everything in motion Jarra turned to Baradin and the Council members.

"Thank you for accepting our invitation to the commissioning of our new NanoFactory. Yirgella and I are very excited about it and because of all your backing and extra support we propose to share a proportion of the benefits with you and to do that this NanoFactory will be used primarily for projects to help Mparntwe as soon as our second one is ready."

Kyrra waved his arms excitedly.

"Jarra, could you tell us more about your NanoFactory? You started it going a few moments ago without telling us what it's making."

"Yes, it's like a surprise. If you can wait a while we'll be able to show you the new excavation machine which will help to finish the vacuum tunnel between here and Mparntwe within the next two months."

"Months? You mean years? The current plan says just over three years."

"No, the machine Yirgella has designed will be able to tunnel through half a kilometre a day and he's making six of them so the actual tunnelling will only take a couple of weeks. The rest of the time is for all the fitting out and testing of the special train which will also be built here."

The Alkere staff knew about this and were all smiling at the reactions of the various Council members. Kyrra, understanding more than the others what it meant was shaking his head and smiling at the same time.

"That must be an amazing excavation machine if it's going to reduce a mammoth three-year project to only two months. It doesn't sound possible."

He laughed and turned to Baradin.

"Look at them all smiling. They've got more surprises lined up. I can tell. It's a conspiracy to shock us."

Chuckles and smiles from the Alkere staff confirmed this and every Council member gave new attention to Jarra. This had been Durrebar's idea. He thought the Council had no idea how significant the NanoFactory really was and a barrage of surprises would make it a memorable start up.

"Yes, we're going to show you some of the things our NanoFactory and an AI can do together. Tomorrow's task for the NanoFactory will be to start building extra excavation machines and extensions for the materials project. The manager has told us the demand is currently more than ten times the amount we can supply, and with the NanoFactory Yirgella will be able to match that within six weeks."

Most of the Council turned to the member who oversaw Mparntwe's finances.

"The materials project is already ahead of schedule but that level of production isn't expected for another eighteen months. It will almost match our energy income."

Kyrra laughed.

"I'm suitably shocked. What will the NanoFactory do when the six weeks is finished?"

"The first task will be to construct a second NanoFactory so this one can be dedicated to a whole range of Mparntwe needs.

Durrebar has been working with Yirgella and they have designs for big improvements to all Intelligent Systems. The improvements mean there will be high demand all round the world and a great opportunity for Mparntwe to develop an extensive installation and servicing industry. Yirgella's only part will be to build them with the NanoFactory.

Professor Allerton and his team have built a special understanding of high-level processors in their time at Alkere and Yirgella can set up the NanoFactory to make their designs and sell them. There's a very big demand for better processors.

Yirgella would also like to provide Mparntwe with a completely Security overhaul. He's designed a new Intelligent System to run it or he can control it directly himself if that's what you wish.

He wants the AI projects at Carnarvon, Darwin, and Normanton to start immediately and he intends to provide most of the processors and equipment they'll need.

He is also going to relocate himself 1200 meters underground for more security."

That brought general nods of agreement. Security was a big issue for everyone. Two attempts at intrusion by spy flies had followed the one Mirri caught. Even more worrying after the shocking destruction of the power transformer station was a further attempt, prevented by the military team from the Australian OverGovernment and special surveillance equipment from Carnarvon, to disable the Solar Array itself. Jarra paused for any questions and Kyrra jumped in.

"Is that all?"

Kyrra was joking but Jarra felt a wash of tiredness.

"No, it's just some of the immediate things. Yirgella has more than he can possibly do. ...Durrebar, would you explain things please. I'm going to take a break."

No-one said anything but there were smiles and nods of understanding from the Council members who all understood his situation. With a degree of relief Jarra headed for a quiet place. He'd been active too long and he found speaking to a large group of people quite draining. Baradin spoke before Durrebar could start.

"Is there some reason why Jarra has done all the presenting and talking? Quite clearly he went for longer than he should have."

Yirgella's image appeared on the big screen.

"Welcome Councillors and thank you, Baradin, for your concern. Durrebar was in full agreement with my insistence that Jarra commission the NanoFactory and acquaint you with its potential. Without his inspiration it wouldn't exist. His ideas and imagination have resulted in a tool which will benefit us all. Who else should formally present it? The Alkere staff and I would like the Mparntwe Council to give Jarra some type of recognition for his achievements.

The tunnelling machine will be complete in another sixty-five minutes and briefly available for inspection. Are there any questions you'd like answered?"

"Yirgella, our Council has been aware of your NanoFactory project but it's only just now that Jarra has acquainted us with its real capabilities and significance. Of course we'll do something but unless it's very low-key I suspect he won't have anything to do with it. We'll think about it. How soon will you have your support for the other AI projects ready? None of them are expecting such an early start and we'll have to liaise with them immediately."

***

Jarra finished up the work he was doing on his InfoSystem and was about to close it down when he was distracted by movement at the door to his project room. Well, one of his project rooms, as there were now a number built for various purposes as well as the big new one when the move underground went ahead. What on earth? The strange device came gliding close and Durrebar clicked a control and stood up.

"Take a seat, Jarra, and we'll show you how to work your holiday present."

"Present?"

"Yes, so you can make extended exploration trips with Mirrigan. It will be perfect for your stay at Birringurra Country."

Birringurra was the name of the area near Carnarvon where Mirri's whole family would be staying in only three days from now.

"For me? I don't need it."

"Yirgella thinks you do and he's designed it especially to suit you and Mirrigan."

That piqued Jarra's interest. This thing was obviously for carrying him but why would it suit Mirri as well? Oh! There were two foot-stands at the back. That must be what he meant.

"How does it work?"

"Climb on and I'll show you. We'll take it outside because it's designed to cope with rough terrain."

The controls were simple but versatile. Jarra learned them quickly because they were very similar to the controls of the much larger vehicle he used to drive to their Alkere explore places, and for twenty enjoyable minutes the remarkable little personal carrier was put through its paces. Mirri was going to absolutely love this because he'd be able to stand on the back and they could go to so many new places. Jarra deftly guided them back to the project room to give a big thank you to Yirgella as well as say goodbye for the next few weeks.

"What made you build it? You know I've always refused a personal carrier in the past because my constant walking activities are so important."

"I spoke with Baradin and Burnu about Birringurra and we wanted to overcome some of your limitations and in particular I've designed it for the local terrain so you can accompany Mirri on the Walkabout."

"Yirgy, that's wonderful. Mirri will be so pleased"

Jarra didn't often use Mirri's way of addressing Yirgella. He was naturally more reserved, but this was spontaneous.

Mirri had been completely excited when he understood that the Walkabout meant four days of non-stop exploring but then he found out that Jarra couldn't do it and he refused to go. Jarra felt awful and no amount of persuasion had any effect till Baradin arranged a compromise where Jarra would be taken to meet with Mirri at every campsite.

"Would it be possible for you to give it a proper trial tomorrow so I can monitor its performance? I'd like to suggest you catch the mag-lev out to Trephina Gorge and take the trail to the ridgetop."

That was quite a shock and Jarra had to process the idea for a moment. The ridgetop was foreign territory. Far beyond the limits of consideration with its steep and rocky access trail.

"It would take me up there? It's a long way."

"A couple of kilometers is nothing. The fuel cell can manage several days of continuous use and when it's safe enough you can travel at up to sixteen km/h. Your doctor has guidelines to follow but he says you'll adapt very quickly."

The doctor had been involved? Jarra wondered how long Yirgella had been working on this. The ridgetop? Amazing. And four days walking with Mirri. Unbelievable.

"Show Jarra the companion function please, Durrebar. He hasn't seen that yet."

Durrebar clicked a little device from its place next to the miniature InfoPad built into the console and fiddled with it.

"Watch this. I've set it to stay at two meters. It's for when you want to walk and not leave the carrier behind."

He set off on a random course round the Project room and the personal carrier followed, manoeuvring its way successfully round every obstacle.

"We thought this would be particularly useful for your explorations with Mirrigan as it will let you walk twice the normal distance and then carry you on the return."

After thanking Yirgella and Durrebar, Jarra happily drove his new carrier to the transport plane. He couldn't wait to show off to Mirri.

***

Everyone was smiling. This was the first time they'd all seen Karmai since he started his ranger job and he was laughing because, along with everyone else, Mirri had just hugged him for about the tenth time. Jarra thought he was different. Not his looks but his manner. Perhaps it was his ranger clothes. Right now it was all greetings, family banter, and getting organised to travel from Carnarvon to Birringurra. There'd be time for proper talk later.

***"Welcome to Country. It is a privilege to have you stay with us."

"Thank you, Jarli, but we are the ones being honored. This is Burnu, my brother, and his family."

Baradin formally introduced everyone to Jarli, his counterpart on the Carnarvon Council, then everyone headed to the river where Jarli's own family and some of the guides and instructors from the Heritage program were waiting to share a meal.

The hundred and fifty meter walk took Jarra's breath away and he stared in awe at the giant river gums and grotesquely shaped paperbark trees. They made even the special ghost gums at home look ordinary, and the sparkling waters and the rich red colored sand made the rock pools at some of their exploring places seem tiny. Mirri grabbed Jarra's arm.

"Look JJ. Funny-face bird. See, next to pelican."

Mirri knew pelicans because Karmai had taken them to a nursery near Carnarvon on their last trip. Karmai was close to Mirri and he answered.

"He's called a Royal Spoonbill, Mirri. He uses that round part on the end of his long bill to catch his food."

"He has a spoon on his bill. Funny-face. Can we swim in the water, Karmai?"

"Of course you can. Look at the littlies playing."

A number of children were splashing in the shallow water near the waiting group of people.

After a more formal welcoming ceremony there were more introductions and then the Mparntwe people sat on the sand to eat the meal of fish, yams and other natural food which had been prepared. Jarra was most interested because part of their time here would involve learning how to gather these different foods for themselves. There was talk and laughter and meeting different people till inevitably came the tug at Jarra's arm.

"Can we explore now, JJ?"

"Let's ask Uncle Baradin. He'll know if it's all right."

Mirri ran to get Karmai. After so long apart there was no way he wouldn't be included but disappointingly he was busy with someone else. Baradin was with Jarli and it was quickly worked out that there was nearly an hour before everyone was leaving the river.

"What would you like to see?"

Jarli was still new to Mirri so Jarra answered for him.

"Mirrigan likes to see everything, especially animals and he'd like to have a swim too."

"Animals and swimming? That sounds interesting and I know a great place to go."

He gave a call, two little boys came running, and there was a rapid interchange in what must be the local people's traditional language.

"Would you like my two rascals to be your guides? I've told them to catch a tortoise for you and show you the best swimming place. This one is Barega and this one is Akama."

Amazing. Jarra would remember the names but there was no way he'd be able to tell which was which. Mirri's looks were going back and forth, back and forth, but his big smile said these fascinating little guides were accepted.

"What is a tortoise, JJ?"

"It's like a little turtle, Mirri, with feet instead of flippers."

Mirri understood turtles from Karmai and Monkey Mia but his attention was on the boys.

"Why are you the same?"

"We are twins. Akama came first but I'm stronger and I swim better. My daddy says you want to explore and we do too. What's your name? We're going to catch you a tortoise. Can you run fast? I think you look strong. Can you lift me up with one arm? My daddy can and he's stronger than anyone."

Mirri couldn't cope with this rapid barrage of comments and questions but he was smiling rather than looking baffled. Jarli laughed and put a big strong hand on Barega's head.

"Steady down you little galah. Say one thing at a time so Mirrigan has a chance to think about it, and if you make up stories all the time he won't believe you."

"I like to hear stories. Can he tell good stories like Jarra stories?"

Two little faces looked up with great interest and Jarra wondered if the stories he used for Mirri would work with them.

"Mirri, twins are special brothers who look the same because they have the same birthday."

"Will you tell us a story, please?"

This was the other little boy. Jarra searched for some way to tell them apart but Mirri was right. They did look identical.

"I know a story about how the tortoise got his shell. Would you like to hear that one when we finish exploring?"

There were two happy nods then, simultaneously, Barega took Mirri's hand and Akama took Jarra's.

"Let's go."

The boys went almost directly to a tortoise and Mirri was so amazed and intrigued that he started a soft vocalisation of his wonder. The boys stared when he started this unusual behaviour but after a few seconds Akama, now easily identified by a distinctive scratch on his knee, followed the lead with his own version of Mirri's sound and straight away Barega joined in as well. The release of the tortoise was followed with more exploring, an attempt to get close to another funny-face bird, then a short walk to what was called the good swimming place. Barega grabbed Jarra's hand and started to lead him to the water but Mirri stopped that and said it was time to sit down.

"Jarra needs a rest for his bad muscles. Can you tell us the tortoise story, JJ."

For five minutes the audience of three listened raptly then after a thank you hug from Mirri, which the boys immediately copied, Jarra was directed to 'close eyes' while they had a swim.

Jarra did so, it really was time for a rest, and he listened to the yells and laughter while Mirri and the boys played and swam in the water about twenty meters away. Mirri was running through his repertoire of spouting whales, shark and crocodile attacks, and a fairly new dolphin diving game. Shrieks of delight made Jarra open his eyes to watch Barega sitting on Mirri's shoulders and directing him to chase Akama who was accidentally on purpose letting himself be caught and thrown through the air to land with a grand splash.

Jarra faded for a while till sudden quietness brought him back. They were all looking at him so he gave a wave which Mirri would know meant they could keep swimming for a while yet.

A quick check on his InfoPad showed that he'd been properly asleep because it was nearly twenty minutes later than he thought. Good. He could go in the water and join in. He didn't though. He watched the interaction between Mirri and the boys instead. Mirri was crawling through the water, shaking his body and bucking gently so the twins on his back had to work at staying in place. One of them, Jarra couldn't tell which from this distance, fell off and everything stopped till he regained his place. Mirri's funny calls of whatever animal he thought he was being at the moment mingled with the laughter and yells of the boys and Jarra watched with the wonder that Mirri's happy nature continually evoked. Both boys fell off as Mirri suddenly knelt up and started beckoning. Somehow he'd known that Jarra was watching and expected him to join in.

***

The next two weeks was very busy and very, very interesting, and because it allowed him to join in with almost all the outdoor activities, Jarra was totally grateful for his personal carrier.

On the day after their arrival the morning activity was a leisurely walk along the riverside with several sorties into the surrounding country to learn some of the area's natural food sources and without the transport he'd never have coped. The first half hour would have been okay but not the rest of the morning, and as it was, the afternoon was almost a dead loss with much of it used for rest and sleep.

By the end of the first week Jarra worked out that by relying on his personal carrier and a number of strategically timed rests he could get through the major activity of the morning then having a two hours plus period of sleep and rest after midday would build his reserves enough to allow for an explore of some kind with Mirri and whoever else was involved.

Karmai came with them most days, Baradin when he wasn't too busy with something else, and because something had clicked between them, the twins sought out Mirri whenever they could, and led the way for most of the expeditions.

One of the best places was over two kilometers downstream where the river widened and large sheets of shallow water attracted a myriad of water birds and you could sneak close to watch the different types. The distance meant the twins travelled on the personal carrier with Jarra while Mirri and Karmai would walk, jog or run along with them.

Evenings were often very special gatherings by a campfire to hear elders recounting the Dreamtime and several times Jarra and Mirri and Karmai sat in the soft sand by the riverside learning special men's business from Jarli or another leader.

***

The four-day Walkabout was something Jarra would never ever forget and he used his special ComPatch with its higher quality to record every moment. It was no good for communication with Yirgella at this distance of course, but everything would be sent through the InterWeb when they got back to the Birringurra Center.

Mirri amazed everyone, especially their guides, with his ability to find and see things before anyone else. He also created a huge problem on the first day when a blue-tongued lizard he caught was killed in front of him for a meal. With tears trickling from his eyes and his song of misery shaking everyone to the core he turned his back and refused to have anything to do with it. The whole course for the Walkabout had to be changed and moved close to the river where there were a lot more vegetarian sources of food.

Jarra also caused modifications to the normal Walkabout procedure because of his constant need to rest, and the midday stop always lasted several hours. At other times when the imperative for rest came on him, one of the guides would stay with him for twenty or thirty minutes then stand on the back of the personal carrier while they travelled at more than twice the normal group pace on a catch up journey. The terrain would dictate the actual speed but Jarra was now so proficient at judging the best path and controlling his carrier that the guides all said it was exciting. Jarra thought so too.

On the last night Mirri, Karmai and two other brothers went through a symbolic passing to manhood ritual, their bodies painted with ochre, singing and chanting, and copying the rhythm and movement around the campfire of the guide leading them through it.

Along with listening to appropriate parts of the Dreamtime, they'd practiced different parts of the dancing on the previous two nights so they were very proficient and the atmosphere of it all gave Jarra goosebumps in his hair.

***

End of chapter 13.

A picture of the 'funny-face bird' (royal spoonbill) which Mirri likes so much can be seen in my 'Aussie birds' gallery.
Copyright © 2015 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another excellent chapter, thank you very much for sharing this with us. I am looking forward to reading the future chapters.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Another awesome chapter my friend! I wish Jarra could have fully participatede in the explorations of the culture--I thought he'd take part in the passage ritual on the last night? Isn't he part of one of the native tribes also?

I hope Mirri's 'songs' aren't damaged by the experience with the lizard--he takes such joy in living, that it must have been a shock to see it killed.

I want to say I remember the name Akama from Attunga--but I'm probably wrong in that. :) Still searching for a connecting link which is a person or AI, unless you've fooled us and it is something else.

Next chapter please!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/24/2015 06:21 PM, Dathi said:
Another excellent chapter, thank you very much for sharing this with us. I am looking forward to reading the future chapters.
Again, thanks, Dathi. I originally planned to post on a 3 weekly basis but lately I've been managing a little more frequently. - I hope I can keep it at that rate.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/24/2015 07:58 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Another awesome chapter my friend! I wish Jarra could have fully participatede in the explorations of the culture--I thought he'd take part in the passage ritual on the last night? Isn't he part of one of the native tribes also?

I hope Mirri's 'songs' aren't damaged by the experience with the lizard--he takes such joy in living, that it must have been a shock to see it killed.

I want to say I remember the name Akama from Attunga--but I'm probably wrong in that. :) Still searching for a connecting link which is a person or AI, unless you've fooled us and it is something else.

Next chapter please!

Great question and my response is that I'm at fault for not making a better explanation. In my mind, and quite arbitrarily, I set the ritual age at eighteen years which made Mirri eligible and Karmai way overdue. It will happen for Jarra in two years time. (The real age for this ritual is, I think, about thirteen or fourteen.)

Yes, through the insistence of Baradin, Jarra is fully accepted into the family and thus the whole First Australian culture. (I have family friends who have been accepted in this way.)

 

Mirri is ok. He lives very much in the moment.

 

You do remember Akama. He becomes the figurehead for the whole Witness Council of Attunga and the most recognised human of all the Open Habitats.

Akama IS the link between the two stories. (And ALSO the link to the sequel to Attunga -if I get that far.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Your reply to ColumbusGuy answered my question about Akama from

Attunga. That's an excellent connection. Australian Spoonbills are white.

They're pink where I'm from, but the same otherwise. They love rivers.

It was an excellent walkabout -except for the poor skink! I wouldn't eat

it ether, I like skinks.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/25/2015 01:50 AM, Foster said:
Great holiday, even if I only got to read about it. :P
Thanks, Sam. Lol - can you beat a vicarious experience?

I just realised while answering this that Birringurra was Jarra's first ever major holiday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/25/2015 01:37 AM, Stephen said:
Your reply to ColumbusGuy answered my question about Akama from

Attunga. That's an excellent connection. Australian Spoonbills are white.

They're pink where I'm from, but the same otherwise. They love rivers.

It was an excellent walkabout -except for the poor skink! I wouldn't eat

it ether, I like skinks.

Pink spoonbills? Wow, and here I was thinking spoonbills were uniquely Australian. I'm glad you enjoyed the walkabout section. I kept it brief because I'd already done a Walkabout description (another link) in Attunga.

Lol - I've eaten Tiger snake (tasty) but never a skink or blue-tongue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loving that we get to see Akama as a young boy. Also gives us some idea of the time-frame between the two stories.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/04/2015 06:49 AM, Fae Briona said:

Loving that we get to see Akama as a young boy. Also gives us some idea of the time-frame between the two stories.

Yes, Akama is there, associated with the very first independent AIs, and already influencing the course of events.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was on a plane when I read this, if I could have stood up and cheered at Akama’s entrance I would have!  Thank you!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..