Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep 6-9 - 2. Chapter 2

“Tony, what are we off to do today?” Jake asked as they arranged their things in the back of the sub. He was happy to be paired with Tony after he received his certifications. There’s something to be said about underwritten understandings when working with someone. The understood roles and tasks each play makes every job more enjoyable and more productive.

“Lady Thetis Execs have called for a rare halt on all mining. They are instructing the Hubs to ascend and connect to her hull. But, I hear Hub #3 may not be able to complete their ascension before the storm hits. We may be called on to assist them if any of them have difficulty connecting to the hull. Otherwise, Frank wants you and I to monitor the raising of the storm walls. Sections 3 and 4 raise first. See the #2 Mining Bay door? The 4th storm panels are just above that. There, see how the panels fold out as they raise? That’s why all the Bays above had to be closed off last night. Jake move us to the right edge of those panels.” As the sub got in position he continued, “Yes, can you get us in a downward view? Stop, great, hold this.” Tony pointed out that another welding inspection sub is monitoring the left edge. Three giant panels are heading to the surface. Tony has Jake learning the way to handle the waves as they raise towards the surface with the panels. When the bottom panel reaches the surface Tony had Jake surface. The storm surge is now really starting to be apparent.

Jake was astounded at the height of the seawall panels. “Should we dive?”

“Yes, they will be raising the panels for the #5 wall, head all the way to the back.”

As Jake gets the craft near the aft of the #5 panel the other subs had just begun monitoring the first of the panels as they fan upwards. “We are going watch the bottom edge as the others watch the hinges. As the last panel reaches the surface we will move to the bow for storm panel 2.“

“I am surprised that the waves are so choppy this far ahead of the storm. This is really difficult to keep position.” Jake has a serious focused look on his face.

“Jake, you’re doing great. Just keep doing what you’re doing and we will be done in no time flat.” Tony was right, after all the panels were up, they began heading back to their bay. They were halted by #2 and #4 Hubs final ascension and hull attachment. Jake noted they are still waiting on 3 and 6. Of course they already know about 3’s difficulties. “Do you know if #6 is on its way yet?”

“I don’t, but I am sure we’ll know more soon enough.”

Before they could make it into the welders bay Frank called them to assist #6 on their ascension and to inspect their hull. He has heard reports of a leak. Within minutes they saw the first sign of the #6 lights. “Tony, why are their lights flickering?”

“Look closer Jake, those are from a pod of whales swimming between them and us.”

“Holy hell, I see them now, they look bigger than my momma’s Escalade. Do you think they’re fleeing the storm?”

“That’s my guess. Ok, get ready, start moving to the left and back, see how they seem to be lopsided?”

“I didn’t until you said it, but I do now. Is that from the leak?”

“We’ll find out. Drop down now, I think we can get below them.”

Jake got it just at the bottom edge and there it was. A crack in a corner seam. “What should we do?”

“Get within 2 feet and keep pace with them.” Tony pointed at it and put up a finger to say wait,” Frank, Tony here. We see a breach in #6 hull. Request permission to Mig.”

“Affirmative, but desist before connection.”

Jake watched as Tony worked controls that brought out arms with welding connections. He handed Jake tinted goggles after he put his on. Tony had it all buttoned up before #6 began connection. Because they were still listing, Tony showed Jake how to push with their sub, along with 2 other subs assisting, the final connection was made. “Head back to the bay.” Both guys gave an audible sigh of relief. —————
“Mel, how are you?” Jake was happy to see Mel in the bay.

“Great Jake, I am about to dive with those guys to inspect and weld pinholes on #2 hub. See you later guy.” Jake waved as they headed in different directions.

“Jake, I need to see you in my office.” Frank got his attention. Jake waved off to Tony.

As Frank motioned for him to close the door, Jake turned his attention to his boss, “Yes Sir?”

“Seems you’ve gained some attention from the Bridge. You have been instructed to appear on the Bridge as soon as you return.” Jake’s look of surprise was expected. “I suggest you go put on a clean uniform and report as fast as possible. You’re dismissed.”

Jake took off as quickly as he could without running. Actually, it was a few steps running with a few steps walking. He made it to his locker, and had a shit, shower, and shave. Steve came by as he finished fixing his hair. “You look fresh, what’s the occasion?”

“I’ve been called into a meeting, I’ll tell you about it later.” Jake didn’t wait for a response, he set his watch for the fastest route and made his way to the marked elevator.

This is one very few people get to ride. Your hand print has to be approved to enter. He half believed it wouldn’t even open for him. But, as soon as Jake touched the pad the doors opened. Nervously he selected the Bridge and up he went at a tremendous speed. As the doors opened he heard someone call out, “Jake, glad you could join us! Come this way.” John was waving him over with Carol.

“Hi John, Carol, What’s going on?” They are sitting in a sort of open conference area separated only a glass panel with holographic images of a hurricane on it.

Carol realized what he was looking at, “Don’t be too concerned, this isn’t our first one, and I guarantee it won’t be our last. But, it does get to the point of why you are here. Our brother Marcus and our sister, Jenna are on board Hub #3. I understand you have heard of their plight.”

“I don’t know much, other than their ascension isn’t fast enough to connect before the storm.” Jake admitted.

John motioned to him, “Please, sit here so we can talk eye to eye.” Jake moved to a chair between them. “Shamus is preparing a crew for the Asclepius 1. It is an emergency vessel designed to aid in medical, repairs, and life support systems. Shamus has requested that we consider you for part of the crew.” Jake didn’t object, more, he looked curious.

Carol gained his attention, “Shamus, and our siblings have taken a shine to you and your friends. However, you are measured for certain attributes we find fitting for a number of opportunities. This one in particular has a level of risk and mortal danger attached to it. Therefore, we feel it prudent you have a complete understanding before agreeing, or not, to this mission.”

John took the lead, “#3 is reporting damage to its hull from a landslide occurring earlier this morning. An unmanned grinding vessel had been thrust into an unstable wall of rock by a particularly aggressive hump back whale. We think it may have considered it a threat to its calf as it was attempting it’s own ascension. The grinder is likely to be a loss, but the angle of the hub and the known rockslide has made it impossible to either get their team out for repair, or begin ascension.”

“Jake, the Asclepius is preparing a transfer of a new special sub also designed by Shamus. He has reviewed your abilities and thinks you would be a good fit to pilot the craft while he uses its mechanics to do what it can for the Hub.”

“As, you can imagine, an evacuation of this magnitude has never been performed at these depths, and it would come with an enormous risk.” John looked deeply into Jakes eyes.

“John, Carol, I am not convinced that I am the best choice for a rodeo like this. But, when the Johnson’s tractor hung over the cliff, Mrs Johnson called on me to help. I hitched up our old clydesdale mare and rode on out. I found Mr Johnson barely able to hang on to the front of that old tractor. I asked Mrs Johnson to hold Cindy steady while I hooked a rope through her saddle. I climbed down beside the tractor and tied the rope around Mr Johnson. When I called upta Mrs Johnson I called on her ta walk Cindy forward. Mr Johnson let go of the tractor and the 2 of us walked up the side of that cliff like we were Spiderman. Once he was up I went back down and tied the rope around the chassis of his old tractor and climbed on out. We got that tractor out and they drove it home. Guys, I weren’t no more than 10 when I did that. My point is, I didn’t understand why Mrs Johnson called on me, but I knew it didn’t matter, I was gonna do whatever I could and I went about doing it.“

Carol put her arms around his neck, “You are so refreshing Jake. I see why Shamus is drawn to you.”

“Jake, what should I tell Shamus?” John was clearly asking for a yes or a no.

In a breathy exasperated way Jake answered, “You can tell him to make room for one more in his ship. I am going to be his man.”John and Carol stood and as they threw their arms around Jake and praised him many thanks.

“Jake, I am going to send Frank Prescott a message to gather any equipment that you may need in such a dangerous endeavor. So, go get your things and wait for a message telling you how to get to Shamus. And Jake, our family may be large compared to others, but we truly love them all. Thank you for being willing to help us.” Jake nodded with a smile and turned for the elevator.

Jake pressed the button for the welding bay level, but before the elevator could gain speed it came to a stop and the doors opened up. A well built older man, casually dressed in khakis and a well pressed pink oxford, stepped in and pressed a button for the doors to close and another that Jake couldn’t see. What confused him most was the elevator didn’t move. The man turned to face Jake and he knew his face instantly. “Sir Melvin Spencer?”

“Yes Jake, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I hear good things about you.”

“Sir, I am, honored, that you of all people, would speak well of me. I assure you, I am not that deserving of praise.” Even a hick from Alabama can speak well when put on the spot.

Sir Melvin chuckled, “Modesty will always serve you well. Young man, you are one of the few who possess the precise genetic composition to think through any problem you choose to put your mind into. The sky isn’t even a limit to the likes of you. I am aware of your willingness to help my children with our recent unfortunate circumstance. I want to be clear with you. If it isn’t possible to successfully save the other souls, you are not to endanger yourself. It isn’t ever worth you losing your life trying to save a life that cannot be saved. I am fully aware of the difficulties in this mission. You and Shamus are going to be there to determine if there’s a safe effective way to evacuate the hub. It’s important you understand, no matter how this turns out, I assure you will be greatly rewarded.”

“Sir, I adore your family and am honored to call some of them friends. I will do anything to help bring them all home. But, Sir, I have a strange favor I would like to ask, please feel free to say no if it’s not possible. I worry if something should happen to me that I would never get another chance to ask for such an enormous favor like this. I would like you to clone me, like you have so many times before, so that my parents can know a grandchild who possesses my genes.”

Sir Melvin studied Jake for a minute, but it felt like an hour to Jake. Jake refused to be the one who spoke next, that would be a sign of weakness, his father had instilled that negotiation tactic into his brain. Sir Melvin hit a button and the doors opened. “Jake, follow me, if you will.”

He was lead through a series of hallways with many labs on either side. As Sir Melvin entered one, a fine young man jumped to attention. “Sir Melvin, what can I do for you today?”

“Mark, this here is Jake from the great state of Alabama.” Jake blushed even more as Sir Melvin used his tag line. It just seemed so beneath someone like Sir Melvin. “We are going to establish a clone of this fine young man.”

“Welcome Jake, Tina here will take you to a room in the back. Sir Melvin, do you have any special instructions?”

Before Jake could hear a response he was ushered into a small room with Tina who instructed him to remove his clothes then shut the door as she left. He stood there for a moment, mostly, second guessing this decision. Ultimately, he decided that Sir Melvin wouldn’t do anything to him which would be harmful. After he was naked Mark knocked as he opened the door. “Are you ready to begin? I assure you it will be pleasant, and quick. If you would lay down on the bed, I will begin with a massage of your testicles. Tina will be in soon to assist me.” She walked in just as Mark managed to get a ‘rise’ out of Jake.

“Perfect, now close your eyes and think about the greatest orgasm you ever had. I promise we will not be doing anything to hurt you.” At that moment he thought one of them is actually giving him a blowjob. In fact, as blowjobs go, this one is definitely in the running for number 1. As Jake spasmed and pulsed his seed into the willing mouth, he couldn’t help but to see which of them had the skill to give one of the best blowjobs in the entire world!

“Oh my GOD, I can’t believe that. Did you just use that?” Mark and Tina smiled wide.

“You thought one of us were performing felatio, didn’t you?” Tina was amused.

“Yes, that’s exactly what I thought!”

Mark rubbed Jakes testicles and along his still throbbing shaft as he removed the device. “That’s what everyone thinks when they experience this.”

“How much do you want for a quickie every now and then with that thing?” Jake asked hopeful.

“As it stands right now, it’s not available for that kind of market, but it is being considered, so don’t start making plans.” Mark started washing his hands. “Ok you can get dressed and go when you’re ready. We will be notifying you when we have a viable clone.”

Jake shook their hands as he stood. “Thank you for this.”
—————-
Jake followed the hall back to the elevator and proceeded to the welders bay. “Frank, did they tell you what I am about to do?”

Frank had a sour face, “Yes, and I admit I tried to suggest others with more experience for this, but they have their minds made up. I don’t know what you have filled their heads with, but I hope you know what you are doing.” He brought out a cart to haul the stuff he had gathered through the hallway.

“Frank, I tried to tell them that there were more experienced choices, but for some reason they chose me. I am not going to argue, I will just do whatever I can.”

“I suppose that’s all any of us can do really. Good luck and keep focused. Pressure down there is enormous, so if your craft gets damaged, you must fight the urge to surface quickly. That kind of ascension can give you Pressure Sickness. Pay attention to any damage in the hull of the Hub, the pressure may be continuing to bend the metal. I added a magnetic attachment to your supplies, so get someone to help you attach it to the sub. Maybe it can be used to hold enough in place. And Jake, you take care of yourself, I need you working for me tomorrow, you hear?” Frank gave him a weak smile, but it was the first he’d even seen Frank attempt, then he walked out to yell at some guys dragging a drill across the deck.

Jake followed the directions on his watch while dragging the cart through the maze of people in various uniforms. As he entered a restricted area he began to realize that this is a military bay. Even though certain people looked like they wanted to stop him, they chose to let him pass. It was as if they heard a command in their ear to let him pass. Jake resolved himself to believe that was exactly what was happening even though he couldn’t see any signs of a device in their ears.

Shamus was way on the other side of the bay by a large ship resembling a battleship, rather than a submarine. As Jake approached Shamus gave him the signal to wait where he was so that he could finish his conversation. Jake thought the military guy was some kind of high command judging by all the medals on his chest. Jake took the moment to really look around, there has to be at least 500 people in just this general area. Aside from the battleship sub there are about 20 typical military subs and several smaller subs moving about. He can see many kinds of people in various military uniforms in the windows on each level going up about 10 floors. It suddenly occurred to him that they are in the aft of the entire Lady Thetis. The harbor has to be above them from here.

Shamus walked away from the man he was speaking to after they shook hands. Then Shamus walked the short distance to Jake. “Jake, I am so sorry to treat you like that. The General is a very private person and is difficult to talk to. He is fully aware of the mission and the role you and I have. So, what do you think of him?” He gestured at the battleship sub.

“Did you design this?” Jake asked astonished at the thought of what an undertaking that would be.

“I did, he is the Asclepius, the greek god who dispensed healing unto the people who were in need. This ship is meant to be a way to help in situations like this. However, father made a deal with the U.S. Naval Command to include it in their fleet as a price for their continued protection and support. Come, let me show you inside.” Shamus waved to a navy man who came for the cart Jake brought. “This Gentlemen will get these things on board for you. Come.”

They climbed a staircase to an upper level that lead into the Bridge of the ship. “The main change in the design is the ability to see through the windows at the surroundings. The rest of the ship uses a camera video feed like the ones in your dorms. The design allows for ample light to see farther into the dark than ever before, and the night vision cameras reach even farther than the human eye. For military purposes seeking to stay concealed, they can switch all of this to the night vision. Which will even appear on the glass of the Bridge. Come, I want to show you where we will be.”

Shamus lead the way past countless crewmen who stepped aside for them. Every person there knew who Shamus was and thus treated him like he was a commanding officer. As they entered a small bay in the bottom of the ship he pointed at the sub they will be using. It reminds Jake of a thick immense hand glider. “Let’s go see the inside, shall we?”

“Shamus, this is incredible. I wonder, how do we get out of the bay with such extreme pressure down there?”

“First we drop to the bottom of the holding bay. There’s a pressure proof seal door that will close above us, then another will open beneath us. Coming back it’s the same but in reverse.”

“The controls look like the ones I am used to, that’s good, but I don’t have the sight advantage I have in the sub I am used to.” The windows are less than half of the welders sub.

“Sit, now watch.” Shamus touched a button on the center console and the cabin lit up like it was a glass bubble. “Will that work for you?”

“Amazing, I’ve seen bugs back home that can change their spots like this.” Shamus smiled widely. “Frank added a magnetized attachment on that cart I brought. Can we get someone to attach it?” Shamus called on his watch and asked for the mechanics crew to add the attachment.

An alarm rang through the ship. “Seems we are on our way Jake. Let’s go over the plans.” They talked about every possible situation that they could think of. Even the worst possible that nobody could be saved. Deep down if either man were honest, they would never give up. But, they felt that they should give the other the permission to try to present a case for it.

“I feel that, do you? It’s like someone just added a layer of dirt over us.” Jake had a slightly bitter expression.

“Yeah, that’s the pressure balance to keep the ship intact. As we reach the Hub you’ll notice more, but this ship will increase that same feeling as we exit Asclepius, tell me if you can’t take it. I need you to be honest, I anticipated the possibility that you might be physically affected by the pressure since this is your first dive. I do have a stand by, just in case, but our preference is for you to be at the controls.”

“Thank you Shamus, good to know, but I think I’ll be fine.”

Shamus turned on the video walls of the bay with a touch of his watch. “You will be able to see the start of the trench in a few minutes. It really is beautiful. We will reach the Hub in about a half hour. We should use the restroom before we get there.”

“Good idea, where do we go?”

“Well, if for some reason you have to do it when we are out of the Asclepius there is a facility in the back. But, it won’t hold much. Follow me, there is a restroom specifically for the bay.”

Jake noted there were at least 3 seamen using the urinal facilities at that moment. There are 4 stalls along the side wall and Jake instinctively went to the furthest away from the door. As he pushed out a movement that had been working it’s way through him, he noticed a strange panel next to the toilet paper dispenser. He was able to slide it to one side. It’s actually big enough to reach into the other stall and grab that toilet paper, supposedly if you ran out, maybe. Seems strange, but not out of the question. Some one came in the stall next to him. Jake slowly closed the panel, but stopped just shy of closed. He clearly saw a naval uniform and he was able to look on an angle at the very young blondes face. Jake felt compelled to sit an extra minute and was surprised when the panel slid open about another inch. Now he clearly could see the sailor had a full erection. Jake showed the sailor his appreciation by displaying his stiffening cock in kind. But, the thought of Shamus waiting for him made him abandon the invitation. Sadly, he went to the sink to clean his hands and stepped out to find Shamus sitting on a bench. “Those sliding panels are intriguing aren’t they?”

Jake decided it best not to lie. “It truly is tempting. First, I thought it would be a great way to grab the paper from the next stall if the one you’re in ran out. But, when that sailor came in, I just couldn’t resist the urge to look.”

“I am impressed. First that you understood the real purpose of the panel to begin with. But, mostly that you decided to be honest with me about your temptation.”

“Shamus, I don’t have a desire to keep secrets from you, besides that, I believe you would find out the truth even if I did. My daddy always said, ‘It gets hard to bullshit the bull.’ ”

“Jake, you are truly a character of your own. I admire that about you.” Shamus turned to Jake. “Please, share , if you will, why did you leave after that handsome sailor came in?”

“Well, I first thought of you waiting for me and thought it would be rude. Second, I am nervous/excited for the mission we are about to go on.” Jake sighed and paused. “Wait, Shamus, that’s not exactly correct.” Jake took another minute to breathe. “I like you. Not because you’re a Spencer, not because you have a wonderful family. Definitely not because you are rich. I like the way you look at me. I am intrigued to know what you think about. I wonder if you see me the way I think about you. I’m scared to find out that I am a foolish child. I hate to think you’d judge me for experimenting with the guys that I have so far. I worry that I may not be able to control myself around handsome sailors, if you ever did like me like that. Please, tell me to get away from you or at least shut my mouth.”

Shamus stared at Jake squirming in his seat. He looks like he’s about to cry. Shamus leaned over and kissed Jake on the lips. “But, we need to focus, my brother and sister’s lives, as well as 123 other priceless lives, are depending on us to help.” He kissed him once again. “Look, there’s the Hub.”

Jake saw the huge ship on a heavy slant toward them, it’s as if they were preparing to dive deeper into the canyon. “Looks like they may have almost been out of the woods when the rocks slid up under them . But, then that big one hit the top end close to us, making their escape impossible.”

“That’s a good observation, let’s get out there for a closer look.”

Jake and Shamus strapped themselves in and did a quick systems check. Shamus even tested the magnetic attachment. “Jake, descend to the bottom and wait for launch.”

After setting down on the bottom, Shamus did something with his watch and the bay above was closed off. The pressure was building inside the small ship as the bay door slid open under them. “Jake, how are you feeling?”

“I definitely feel the pressure, but it’s not as bad as I thought it might be. I’m good.” He navigated to the Hub and began inspecting all the way around where it remains exposed. “I am going to get a closer look at the boulder on top.”

Jake moved the craft so slowly around the boulder as Shamus started to become agitated. Just before he pressed Jake to move on, Jake had an idea. “Shamus, see that dark ridge running up the middle of the rock. It reminds me of a rock from back home. I was messing around down by the crick that runs down the back of our property. I saw a piece of metal in the rocks at the bottom of the deepest part, but because of the angle I couldn’t get it in my hand. After I left and went back home, I had an idea to bring one of those horse shoe magnets back to the crick. I got it to work and I wanted to figure out what it was. I had too many things in my hands to look more closely, so I tossed my magnet onto a flat rock I sometimes lay naked on, you know, after skinny dippin. But, as soon as it landed, it came to an abrupt stop and stood up on its end. I learned later that the flat rock had a lot of iron in it. Why don’t we try to see if Franks magnet will stick to this one.”

Shamus got the attachment directed towards the rock, then turned the magnet device on. Instantly it connected. Shamus smiled at Jake. Then Jake began tugging at the boulder with the subs thrusters. Once he got it to begin moving it became easier, until it reached the edge of the Hub. “Turn off the magnet in 3,2,1 off.”

The boulder slid off the edge and into the canyon. “Brilliant Jake.” Shamus was about to continue but he was interrupted by his watch. A woman’s voice came through, “Shamus, is that you out there?”

“Yes Jenna, we just managed to remove a large boulder from the top of the hub. How is everything on the inside?”

“Well, there has been a steady rise of water, but we’ve been able to evacuate most areas. We are huddled close together right now in the holding bay. Shamus, we’ve lost 4 of our crew.” Jenna’s voice cracked as she said it.

“Shamus, Marcus here, even if you break us loose we have sustained enough damage to the interior from the flooding that we couldn’t make it to the surface.”

“Ok, we will report back to you with a plan in a half hours time.” Shamus changed something on his watch. “Captain, have you and your men been observing the wreck? And, did you hear my brother’s news?”

“Yes Shamus, ask Jake to get a better look at the docking connectors around the top of the Hub.” Jake moved slowly around the ring and did his best to show the inside and outside edge. On the top of the outer edge of the ring where the boulder had nicked it, grew concern from Jake and Shamus. “Our experts think the nick could possibly cause additional failure at this depth if we try to make a seal and evacuate.”

Shamus and Jake waited for the Captain. “Shamus, we aren’t sure what would be the best option. Due to the tilt and the flooding, we believe the crew wouldn’t be able to get to the hatch where the smaller connector fit for your craft is locacted. If we connect to the larger ring, it could fail during the depressurizing sequence. We need more time.”

“Captain? This is Jake Redbush, what would your people think of you connecting to the ring just to lift the Hub up into the lower pressure depths? Not even trying to evacuate.”

After some time the Captain reported back that, all things considered, it is the best option. “Marcus, were you able to hear any of that?”

“Yes brother. We are gathering all of our emergency fresh water and food supply. And we will close off the water tight bunkers to keep us all safe from the moving water inside the Hub.”

“Marcus? This is Jake, if you have any scuba tanks that you can still get to, I would consider gathering up as many as you can in case the flooding found it’s way into your space.”

“Good thinking Jake.” Shamus said as he rubbed Jakes shoulder. “Take us back to the Asclepius bay.” After the hatch closed under them and the hatch began to open above them, is when Jake sighed a breath of relief.

Shamus turned off the ships power and began kissing Jake before he tried to stand. “You were spectacular, Jake. Thank you.”

“My pleasure, but we aren’t out of the woods yet.”

“No we’re not.” Shamus lead the way to the Bridge.

They watched and listened as the crew worked. The Captain simply nodded at their presence. A ship wide alarm was rang followed by a message preparing the crew for an intentional tilt of its hull. “Shamus, What about the bay and the sub?” Jake asked in almost a whisper.

“The crew had begun securing it as we entered. The water had already been reducing as we were getting out of our sub. They really are a thorough crew.”

“Marcus, stay with me while they lift you off the ridge.”

“Will do Shamus. Everyone brace yourself and prepare for a jolt.”

The Captain gave the command once he felt all the bases were covered. There was a violent shudder and a bang but the ship righted itself almost immediately. “Marcus? Do you have any information to report?”

“Sorry Shamus, I was checking to see if everyone was alright. That was quite a ruckus.” They continued chatting as they made a slow ascension out of the abyss.

Shamus shook the Captains hand and then guided Jake to a small cabin by the bay. “This is where I stay when I am on board this ship. I need to take a short nap. You can join me if you want, or you can wander around. Here, I am programming your watch. Now if you want to monitor the top of the Hub from your watch, you can do that. Up to you, but I need to close my, eyes…..”

Literally, he fell asleep that easily. Jake watched him for a few minutes, but he wasn’t tired enough yet to join him. After a few more minutes he decided to not risk waking him. He walked into the bay area watched the hub and all the damage around it. He wondered how Marcus and Jenna were doing, and then wondered how far up they’ve gotten.

Jake wandered through the halls back to the Bridge. The Captain walked up to him, “Where have you left Shamus?”

“I’m sorry Captain, Shamus needed to take a nap and I was just curious how much longer till we can start trying to get those people out of that Hub?”

“I was almost certain that Shamus went to his cabin for one of his famous naps, no disrespect for him, but that is a luxury I never did learn to appreciate. As for your question, see those people back there in the conference room, they are discussing that very topic. Son, I give you permission to join them and listen if you’re interested.”

“Thank you, Captain.” Jake made his way into the room. The conversation stopped to look at him, Jake raised his hand as a gesture of hello and please continue, at least that was how it played out. Jake listened to a great deal about the damage to the connecting ring and the possibility that it may not have enough seal for an evacuation at all.

The conversation changed to how to get the Hub connected to the Lady Thetis. “The Hub has no power to its stabilizers.” “Can’t we get a craft under it to lift it into position?” “The Asclepius is using all of its strength to drag it up, I don’t think we have anything powerful enough to lift it after we disconnect.”

Jake felt like he was a mere child in the room and felt guilty for even being there, but he had a genuine curiosity. Slowly he raised his hand. The officer leading the room stood there ignoring him, Jake was certain he saw him, but is choosing to ignore him. One by one the minds at the table stopped speaking and turned their gaze towards Jake. How terrifyingly small that made him feel. The officer standing at the front of the room had no choice but to address him. “Who are you young man and why are you attempting to disrupt our meeting?”

“My name is Jake, from the great state of Alabama. Literally, I am nobody, I simply want to ask if y’all already determined that this ship wouldn’t have enough power or clearance to just take the hub into one of the larger bays or even the harbor, you know, maybe?” The silence in the room was deafening. “I’m sorry y’all, I won’t bother you again, please continue.”

However, the silence continued even after they turned their attention towards the front of the room. The lead officer made a ‘whatever’ kind of face and opened the door. “Somebody please find the architectural dimensions for the Hub, this ship, all the bays in the Lady Thetis, Oh, as well as her harbor!”

The man looked around the Bridge for the Captain and waved him over. These guys and their faces. He whispered something to him, but Jake couldn’t hear it. “Now people! We need it 5 minutes ago!”

A very young man raced over to the door, “General, Lieutenant Marshall,” The young crewmen saluted. “I have transferred the information you’ve requested to the laptop in your conference room. I can retrieve it on that for you, if you wish, Sir.”

“Thank you Lieutenant, I would appreciate it if you could transfer it to the wall and please stay in the conference room with us.” He turned to reenter the conference room. Jake was certain he would be thrown out. “Apparently, they make their geniuses young, in the Great State of Alabama.” The General almost smiled at Jake, mostly it frightened Jake more.

As they ran through scenarios of putting the round object into the square holes, it became obvious the harbor would be the choice, if they could work out how to do it during a hurricane. “Remember people, there is a hurricane topside, right now, as we speak. Those walls are protecting thousands of lives from the wind and pounding water. Nothing goes topside till it ends.”

“I’m sorry General, would you mind if I step up to the screen, I, I want to see some things up close, if I may Sir.” Jake was literally shaking as he opened his mouth.

“Alright Jake. Come up here. Anyone else?” That was all it took for the rest of the men to join Jake. He directed his attention to the harbor entries. He went to the laptop to look at this ship and the Hub dimensions. As Jake approached the group to share his idea, he was completely unaware of Shamus entering the room. They were all talking back and forth, even sounding like they might be yelling, but it was pure debate amongst problem solvers. Shamus turned to the General, “Is everything alright here, General?”

“Your man is doing a fine job. A bit unorthodox, but he definitely brings a new energy to this group.” They continued to watch the debate unfold.

As everyone seemed to come to an agreement, Jake noticed Shamus standing next to the General and blushed till he was beet red in the face. The Lieutenant at the table remained standing as everyone else took their seats. “General, we may have found a reasonable solution thanks to our new friend Jake.” That didn’t help his blushing problem, and just knowing that, only made it worse. His inability to hide his shyness made many of them chuckle, even Shamus smiled at that. “In the construction of the storm panels they may have, unintentionally, given us the answer. It appears for the sake of repairs, or even complete replacement, these panels have stop pins. These can be released allowing us the ability to raise the bottom panel equal to the second, or both even to the first, if there was a need. In this case, if the Lady Thetis turned at a slight angle to the wind and we raised the bottom panel, it is possible to nearly surface and squeeze the Asclepius into the harbor with the Hub attached. The desire to keep Asclepius out of the public eye would be achieved by spinning at the desired drop of the Hub. After release, you head out to sea and down to the military bay. We recommend the evacuation just before disconnection, if any emergency arrises there would be multiple solutions already in the harbor.”

Shamus and the General walked over to the wall to study the idea. They each pointed to the very things the group had. As if coming to the same conclusion, the General turned and Shamus took a seat next to Jake. The General looked over the group. “All of those in favor of Jakes plan say aye.” There was a burst of aye that rattled Jakes eardrum. “Anyone who does not support the findings say, nay.” Not a soul spoke. “I will give you one more chance, if you have reservations, this is the opportunity to speak up.” Nobody even appeared to debate the idea. “Gentlemen, I will leave you to work out the logistics, I expect a full detailed plan in 2 hours time. That’s when we will reach Lady Thetis.”

After the General left, Shamus turned to Jake, “The General really likes you Jake.”

“Really? That’s not the impression I get from him.”

“Oh, he’s a career military man. He maintains a hard outer shell. But, he told me specifically that although unorthodox, you are doing a fine job and you bring a new energy to this group. That is equal to a loving hug from someone like him.”

The Lieutenant overheard Shamus, “Hear hear, I second that sentiment.” The room erupted in an applause which returned the red glow to Jakes face with an addition of a tear. Everyone including Shamus laughed at his uncontrollable reaction and it made Jake smile with them , he couldn’t stop it if he tried.

All the attention moved back to the problem at hand. Shamus stepped out to speak to Marcus and share the plan. When he returned he let everyone know that they seem to be well and are anxious to get out. That seemed to help them to get the details together with urgency. Shamus became in charge of informing departments of their need in the rescue mission. Some had additional information to add, others simply began issuing orders for the necessary crews needed. One of those departments in charge of mechanical maintenance of the panels, are sending the crew immediately to have it ready. The Bridge of Lady Thetis has agreed to an angle that will be safe as well as effective. Even though they feel like they are not entirely ready, the 2 hour deadline has arrived.

“General, we have it worked out with the exceptions of some possible unforeseen interferences. But, we’re confident we can resolve any of them that may arrise.”

“Inform the Bridge, and prepare the crew to be ready for the storm.”

“General, I have confirmation the harbor panel is up and we are cleared to enter.”

“Captain, take us into the harbor and let us know when we have reached our turning point.”

The Captains orders are being implemented in precise precision. The last moments before entering the harbor were treacherous, the water movement was unrelenting and unpredictable. Lining up for entry was difficult to maintain, everyone held their breath and secured themselves to something. There was a resounding cheer as they cleared the harbor entrance, and then maneuver the turn to a stop. “General, we are at the destination for the drop of the Hub.”

“Thank you Captain. Shamus, inform Marcus to prepare for evacuation. Captain, report to the Lady Thetis Bridge that we are commenced in evacuation of Hub #3. Great job everyone!” The General turned to Jake, “It is a pleasure to have met you. I predict that I will be seeing more of you.”

“Thank you, General, you’re very kind.”

“Go with Shamus and assist with the evacuation.”

Shamus held out his arm to show the way. As they neared the connection bay, there was an increased energy building the excitement in Shamus and Jake. As predicted water began pouring in as the passage began opening. A crew came out of nowhere to reduce the leakage. Attention was turned towards the water tight hatch on the top of Hub #3. The waiting crew were ushered to the opening hatch and Shamus caught sight of Jenna. She ran up the stairs into his arms. Numerous people filing past were shaking every hand, they were thanking them for their part saving their lives. Shamus introduced Jake to Jenna who’s embrace brought tears to his eyes. “Thank you Jake, we were informed of your efforts throughout the whole process. I don’t know if we would have survived without you .”

As they separated from their hug. Jenna cried out, “Poppa! I was so scared.” Sir Melvin wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. Then he motioned for Shamus who softly said, “Poppa.” Marcus came up the stairs and wrapped his arms around his siblings and his Poppa as well. But, they opened their arms and Poppa said. “Jake my boy, get in here!” Marcus joined, “Yes, come here!” But, it was Shamus who got him to move. “Jake, thank you for everything, please come over here.”

They cried and kissed each other with such gratitude. They watched the hatch close and seal. The Asclepius moved out of the harbor and into the military bay. The survivors were met with a tremendous applause from all the personnel. It was a joyous occasion. Jake followed the crowd out of the bay and into the halls. Sir Melvin insisted that Jake come with them. He was taken to a palace just below the Bridge. Inside he met 88 of Sir Melvin’s children. They were all so similar yet so uniquely different. It reminded Jake of Kyle and Kent. If you only focused on the basics you only saw how completely they look alike. However, their identities are made of so much more than that. The fashion preferences combined with demeanor and response reflexes all enhanced a soul of individuality.

Jake loved meeting them and had a nice time sharing, but when Shamus offered an exit, Jake was very grateful. Shamus lead the way into an elevator and kissed Jake passionately. “You can go back to your dorm or you can stay with me tonight. However, if you want sleep, I suggest not coming to my place.” Shamus kissed him again and saw the sleepiness in his eyes. “Go, you need to be amongst your things and get some real sleep. We will be meeting with you tomorrow, so be prepared to have a busy day tomorrow.”

“Shamus, I promise you that I will stay up all night with you the next chance I get.” It was Jake, this time, who blew Shamus away with a passionate kiss.

Jake wandered the halls leading to his dorm and found no congratulations, no fanfare, just normal people going about their business doing normal things. As he entered his dorm he saw an occasional flash of lightning and what was probably rain blurring everything as it whipped by. He didn’t see Mel or Steve, he simply crawled into his cube shut his shade, and passed out as he put his head on his pillow.

Copyright © 2019 PhillMakracken; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..