Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep 6-9 - 8. Chapter 8

This is a time of healing and love.

As the old house began to muster and breakfast was being prepared, Kent couldn’t wait for the right moment to talk about his night. It still felt like that moment between the dream and the start of waking consciousness. However, the talk of the morning was about the mission for the day.

Mr Redbush had recruited Kyle to help some fencing, which normally would have Jeremy fleeing for the woods, but since Kyle was going Jeremy insisted helping. Jake and his mother decided their focus were the babies and tending to the household chores. Kent offered to help but Mrs Redbush insisted he might enjoy just exploring the property.

As it turned out that’s exactly what he was thrilled with. As soon as he walked into the gardens he felt transported, like he was walking into another time. The feeling of a place of relaxation and solitude mixed with the knowledge of a vast working farm gave Kent the drive to press on. He could tell that most of the sections of fields, barns, and corals were mostly the same as a couple hundred years ago. The carts that traveled these paths were replaced with trucks and tractors. The corals still had horses and livestock, but he could see how they once held many more.

It was a section he hadn’t reached yet that gave him pause. There were cabins in the distant corner. A cluster of buildings too many to count. They had an appearance of a village. Immediately he knew it was the place the slaves had lived. Kent knew he had to see it. You would think there would be pain in his heart, except knowing how the original owners felt about them, left more pain for the other plantations that didn’t have caring people to work for.

Still a distance away from the village, Kent found a large pond surrounded by trees. It didn’t look murky, in fact, it was very clear and inviting. Several areas along the shore had flat bolders that more like docks. He could see the African children playing with the white children on long summer days. “Eh hem.” Kent turned to see George standing near him. “How are you doing Mr Kent?”

” I think I am doing well George, how are you?” Kent was very excited to see if George could tell him about the village.

”Mr Kent, it’s refreshing to see a kind face that is happy to see me. You give me an extra spark in my step.” George smiled so wide Kent saw at least two teeth missing.

”George. I noticed some buildings over that way and wondered what you could tell me about them.” George could hear the curiosity was mixed with a sadness Kent had for those he believed lived there.

George motioned for Kent to follow him. “I know you already know, but what you might not know is that it used to be much bigger. There were a time that eight thousand families lived there. As time went by generations moved on and as the older generations passed on many buildings crumbled. New owners sold some of the timbers to be used in cabins and barns.” As they approached the edge of the village Kent was surprised to see the cobblestone streets were well defined, and the homes had yards with trees along the streets. Some homes looked like cape cod bungalows and others had a more rustic feel to them.

George pointed out some of the roofs that were caving in and how the yards had become over grown where they grew vegetable gardens in the past. He pointed out a small town square that had a church and a few shops. Kent could see the residents doing business with each other and the children playing in the park in the center. “You see them, don’t you Mr Kent?”

“I can imagine what it must have been like, yes.” Kent let his eyes take in what was as well as what it had become. “I get the feeling that this is not the same as many other plantations of the time.”

After a chuckle George walked on. “No, Mr Brown used to have some of the people here help him take products to other farms where they could see how others were being treated. Often times they would want to say something or to help stop the atrocities occurring in front of them. But, Mr Brown would be sure to stop them before they made such a huge error in judgment. Otherwise, they’d be lucky to survive and Mr Brown would no longer be tolerated. But, this would only make this village stronger and willing to work harder to maintain their way of life.”

”What do you mean, tolerate Mr Brown?” Kent felt he knew yet needed to hear it.

“Others had come here to deliver to Mr Brown and saw how his slaves were living. It often angered the most brutal of them that he would allow his slaves to offer suggestions or even disagree. Many times there were threats to jail him if he continued. Well, that only made his resolve stronger.” George lead Kent to a particularly well maintained home and escorted him in.

”Is this your home George?” He loved how homey it felt.

”It is, this was my family home for many generations. You see, African’s weren’t the only slaves, however, white or latin slaves had a better chance of buying their own freedom. However, that was very difficult for them, most lived out their lives as slaves. My family were some who understood what Mr Brown has offered and didn’t even try to leave.” George showed some of the photos he had from long ago.

The two of them managed to talk well into dusk. Kent had a heavy heart when it came time to leave, he felt like the day was a rude interruption. Still they shared a happy farewell. Then Kent was determined to get back so he could tell them about what he learned.

Dinner was about to be ready as Kent came in. He heard people shouting throughout the house letting everyone know that their beloved Kent has returned. Jake came quickly up, “We were starting to become very worried about you. Where have you been?” Jake asked as others began to gather around them.

Except they only created an excitement in Kent. “I spent most of the day with your hired hand George. I met him last night and he’s been sharing stories about the original owners, Mr and Mrs Brown. I swear I could listen to him all day.”

Kent’s excitement was met with confusion. Mr Redbush decided to jump in, “Son, we don’t have anyone named George working here, are you sure that was his name?”

”Well, yes, I spent the day with him exploring the old slave village where he still has a home.” But the faces staring back at him weren’t what he expected.

Mrs Redbush ushered everyone to the table and insisted on saying grace. But, Jake felt compelled to get back to Kent’s story as they ate. “You say that George has a house in the quarters? Would you be able to find it again?”

”I know I could, it actually stands out from the rest because it’s so much better maintained. It’s one of the cute little cape cod bungalows, which George explained how they added on over the generations.”

Mrs Redbush was reluctant to add her thought, “It sounds like one of the white slave houses, maybe even the Mayor’s house.” She was actually directing that more to her husband.

”Well, it sounds like that, but if that’s the George he’s talking about he’s been dead for almost a hundred years. So how do you explain that?” He was still talking to his wife.

Kent offered, “Last night when I came down stairs for water I let the historic feeling of the house to allow my imagination see what it must have been like I could see the party’s with the ladies gathered in their big Gone With The Wind dresses in the parlor and the men discussing the way of times in the study. I fell asleep on one of the swings on the porch and was awakened by George. He definitely knew who you are and he knew I was one of the twins he’d heard was coming. We talked about my imagination and he referred to it as if I really saw them, he was more impressed I could hear them. George said that only someone who has survived great tragedy could do that. Of course I don’t believe that but his stories were so interesting I really felt like I could imagine what it was like.” By this time Kent saw everyone had stopped eating and just stared at him.

Kyle felt an overwhelming concern for his brother, “Kent, it’s going to be alright, we’ll find someone who can help you, they probably have medications to help, don’t you think so Mrs Redbush?” Kyle looked almost pleading.

” I’m not crazy, I know what I saw. We had a great day. Why are you guys trying to make me feel like I am hallucinating?” Kent was almost in tears.

Mr and Mrs Redbush asked everyone to join them in the living room, they had gathered around the coffee table that helped several books. As they opened them they saw many pictures and some books were actually published historical books. Kent was able to point out George and the Brown’s. He saw the village in its prime. And, he saw the house he visited with George. It was all there, only a hundred years before. “But, it had to have been real.”

Everyone there could feel his pain and confusion. “Well Bro, I think George told you the truth, only people who survive tragedy can see and hear them. Look, the evidence is right in front of our faces. Does anyone have another explanation?” Literally they all shook their heads in dismay. “Well then there you go. You know what I suggest? The next time you see George, you should let him know him know that you know the truth, but be kind about it, maybe he doesn’t know.”

If Kent didn’t know better he would have thought Kyle was teasing him, but the sincerity in his voice was true. “Thank you Kyle. I think I will do just that.”

Jeremy got excited, “Maybe you could show us tomorrow what he said about the village. I have been going out there most of my life but I never knew much about it.” It was decided all around to take a trip to the village the next day.

****
After breakfast the house was a buzz getting all the baby supplies needed and loaded into a pickup truck for the ride to the village. All the boys held on for dear life in the back While the Grandma and Grandpa took the twins in the front.

There was an air of excitement as they began to see the village in the distance. Already, though, Kent could see it looked slightly different. He was able to see the pond looked the same and he felt weak in the knees as they parked at the edge of the town. “This was in better condition yesterday. I mean, it was obviously abandoned but the streets weren’t so overgrown, I could see the cobblestone all the way through. And most of the buildings were in better condition.” When they got to the square Kent pointed out the church which was hardly noticeable now, the shops were all but gone and when they reached George’s house it was the best survivor yet everything about it was neglected. Inside they were able to see some of the pictures Kent had seen, but the furniture was in levels of severe disrepair. Kent began to get a bit teary just seeing how different it was.

Jake rubbed his shoulder as they gathered back at the square. “What do you think about getting this back in shape, I will be willing to put time into it.”

The sentiment was shared with all and they could visibly see the excitement in Kent. “I know George would love that.”

Copyright © 2019 PhillMakracken; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..