Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,116 Words
  • 2,512 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adventures of Devon Carlton - 7. ADC Chapter 7

Like how he did it on the beach, Devon started speaking the words, but began singing at the start of the second line, and David came in on the bagpipes on the following line, this time when it came to the rest of the band to join it at the start of the second verse, they came into the song one line at a time, and they were not on the stage, but scattered halfway up the first tier on each side and halfway up the second tier on each side, standing just two feet from the nearest concert seats.

When the lights blacked out at the end of the song, all band members dashed out of the side exit doors, as the applause filled the concert hall. David went backstage to re-join the band for the next song, while Devon had turned off his Mic, wrapped the scarf around his neck and returned to his seat at the back.

After the 9th song was over, Hugh announced that there would be a twenty minute intermission, and the lights came on, as the band disappeared backstage, Devon went out into the lobby, where the stage manager caught his eye and Devon went over to see what he wanted, and he was lead down some stairs and along a very long corridor, and up some more stairs, through a small corridor and he was in the green room.

“Here is the angel himself,” Rob said and they all patted Devon on the back, as Devon blushed with embarrassment, “Cut that out guys, its hard enough as it is,” Devon said and Thomas handed him a glass of juice, which he drank quickly.

“Dev, I like that way you did Amazing Grace, slightly different from on the beach, but it worked better in a concert venue, and the brilliant idea of Thomas’s to spread out in the concert hall was great, you should have seen the people sitting near me, they nearly jumped out of their skin when I began to sing, I think we might do something similar but slightly different with the finale Storm” Robert said.

After a bit of silence, Devon spoke up, “Since David and I will be up top, how about I start the singing so you four can get into place and come down from the lower tier back doors and down the centre and side aisles”, “By Jove I think he’s got it” Hugh said, and everyone laughed.

“Ok, that’s how we will do it, lets go, oh and just come backstage the same way you came just now, but don’t make it too obvious, in case there is media watching” Rob said, and Devon raced back down the passageway back to the front of the building, as the last of the concert goers where entering the doors, Devon went to the bathroom, then returned to his seat, just in time as the lights began to dim.

The second half of the concert was just as great as the first half, and after the start of the 8th song, Devon’s phone vibrated again, “Time for the Finale”.

Once again Devon got up out of his chair and disappeared through the hidden door, and dashing up the stairs when the second last song for the night had ended, the thunderous applause was almost defining, and continued for some time, allowing everyone to get into place.

This time Devon would start the singing, to give the others more time, David who was also already in place added some bagpipes to create an eerie atmosphere, which was helped with the special effects lights, the artificial smoke and the sound effects.

When the others joined into the song, they were all at the very back in each of the four aisles, and they slowly made their way down the steps as the song progressed, arriving at the stage steps at the start of the last verse, and were together on stage just before the end, where Devon had quietly stopped singing, turned off his Mic, wrapped the scarf around his neck and slipped out the door, once in the foyer, he headed to the Men’s room, as he was not feeling well from the nerves of being discovered, and he stayed in a stall until men started coming in to use the facilities.

Devon exited the stall after flushing, washed his hands and stepping out into the foyer, where it was very crowded and noisy with enthusiastic fans, chatting away about the concert or buying CDs and other items of memorabilia from the sales table.

“You know I was beginning to think you might have been the mystery guest singer, but by the looks of your face, I am mistaken, you just don’t look very well” a stranger said to Devon as he walked up to him, Devon just turned and dashed back into the men’s room where he threw up in a toilet, the noise echoing into the lobby as the door was still slowly closing.

After wiping his face with toilet paper and flushing, Devon washed his face at the sink and exited the Men’s room, and headed for the front door of the foyer to get some fresh air, as he sat down, Devon pulled out his phone and sent a text message, “I’m not well, someone already suspects me, I’ve already thrown up in the men’s toilets, returning to the hotel, see you there”.

Devon caught a taxi back to the hotel, and showing his room number on the door security card, he was allowed inside, obviously, security had been strengthened because of the EQD concerts. Once in his suite, Devon called room service and asked for a sandwich, a hot cup of tea and some aspirin for his splitting headache, once they had been delivered, Devon took the tablets, ate his meal and went to soak in the spa for a while. When he felt more relaxed again, he climbed into bed and fell asleep.

The next morning Devon woke up early, and decided that he needed to get away, as this is not what he wanted as a life, so he sat down and wrote a note to the band;

“Sorry guys, this is not what I want in life, one night is more than enough for me, and is all I can take. I wish you all the best for the rest of your concert tour, and I hope to see you all in Australia sometime in the future, take care and stay in touch, your friend always, Dev”.

Devon rang the airlines and was about to booked a 1st class ticket on the noon flight to London, but changed his mind, and instead packed his bags and asked reception to call a taxi, when in the lobby he handed the envelope to the receptionist, and asked it to be delivered to Suite 614 when they wake up at about 11 am.

Devon arrived at the Central train station, and booked a ticket with a sleeper cabin to Inverness in the Scottish Highlands, which was due to leave in just forty minutes time, while sitting down to wait to be called to board, Devon, opened his laptop, it still had 78% battery, so he logged onto the free Wifi, and looked online to what is in and around Inverness about ten minutes later once settled into his allocated cabin, Devon sent an email home to his parents;

Hey Mum & Dad, well I did the concert, but I was such a mess afterwards that I threw up in the bathroom straight after the finale, so I went back to the hotel and went to bed without seeing the guys. I left them a note at reception, hope they get it.

Anyway, I was going to come back home but decided to have a look around first since I have travelled so far, so I am now on a train bound for Inverness, in the highlands of Scotland, I’m actually looking forward to it. Say hello to sis and twins for me, and let Mitch and Gary know where I’m going, and that I am fine. Lots of Love. Devon”.

Devon closed the computer as the train pulled out of the station, and he looked out the window as the city changed to suburb housing which changed to urban and the countryside, and all within half an hour, eventually Devon fell asleep with the rocking motion of the train, and he was woken by the sound of a knock on the door.

“Lunch is being served in the dining room, sir” came a voice. Devon stood up and stretched before stepping out and heading forward to the dining car to get some lunch, which was a beautiful lamb shank with roast vegetables, mint sauce and red wine & pepper gravy.

After the delicious meal, Devon went to the lounge car to just relax a bit and maybe socialise with some of the other guests, there were a few in the lounge, but most were still eating, so Devon sat in a comfortable chair and picked up the newspaper and began to read. When he opened to page three, there was a bigsurprise to see a concert review.

“I was pleased to be able to attend the first live performance of the Celtic boy band – EQD, and I was indeed very impressed with the quality of sound and performance. Once again, they produced a surprise, the same mystery singer – Carlton, who sang in their I-Tunes video clips, his voice was magical and a big hit with everyone in the audience.

At one stage I thought the young man who sat not far from where I sat and disappeared from his seat just before the performance of the mystery singer, I wondered if it was possibly him? It turns out he was not well that evening and was making regular dashes to the men’s bathroom. I highly recommend anyone who would like to listen to a boy band with a difference, make an effort and go see EQD”.

There were a few photos included with the article, and Devon just smiled knowing that he had got away with not being discovered, and he placed the paper down and returned to his cabin to have a bit of a nap, after such a lovely meal.

The two day journey was very relaxing and the scenery was spectacular, Devon was feeling a lot more relaxed, and not feeling any effects of his illness from after the concert the other day, as he grabbed his luggage and headed to the taxi rank to get to the hotel he had booked into for a week, before going on to his next destination for some quiet time, as he had managed to contact some distant relatives, who own a large estate, deep in the highlands, and they were happy to accommodate him for as long as he wished to stay as they have an enormous manor that only half of it gets used.

Once settled into his suite, Devon looked at the entertainment guide for Inverness for this week and much to his surprise. “Performing at the Inverness Entertainment Complex for one night only – EQD”, Devon couldn’t help but grin as he picked up the phone and enquired at the front desk to the possibility of getting a single ticket to the concert, as far forward as possible. The concierge was able to get a single ticket for the 4throw from the front centre stage for Devon, who thanked him for achieving the almost impossible, and Devon gave him a very generous tip.

The Concert was for 8 pm in two night’s time, and Devon was hoping the guys would be staying at the same hotel, which is the best one in town. For the next day and a half, Devon kept himself busy sightseeing around the city, and he arranged to have dinner in the hotel restaurant at 6 pm, so he had plenty of time to get showered and dressed to attend the concert.

Devon had bought a new suit and he wanted to look his best at the concert, to see if the guys actually spot him in the audience, and he mingled with the crowd at the complex, as they had their tickets checked before being allowed inside.

While seated and waiting for the concert to begin, Devon looked around the inside of the building, looking at the way it is designed and constructed and he made a mental note to himself to look into designing a multi-purpose concert hall.

As the lights dimmed Hugh came onto stage with much applause from everyone including Devon, and when it died down, he began to speak, “Good Evening Inverness, thank you for having us” Hugh said as he looked out into the crowd and much to his shock he saw a familiar face smiling at him. Hugh froze for a moment as his jaw dropped, then just as quickly he spun around to join the rest of the group further back on stage and making sure his Mic was turned off he faced his bandmates.

“Dev is here, he’s in the audience, about four rows from the front in the centre”.

Devon saw that Hugh was talking to the other band members, and pretended to tie up his shoe, bending forward so he was hidden behind the guy seated in front of him, and he remained there for about a minute, just till after the music started playing.

Dev knew it was a mean trick to play on his friends but he just wanted to enjoy the evening without any attention on him, and he sat back up to enjoy the concert.

As the first song came to an end, there were 5 sets of eyes looking straight at him, and they were all smiling, and Dev saw Hugh dig out his mobile and type a quick message then slip his phone back in his pocket, shortly afterwards Devon felt his pocket vibrate.

“Hey Dev, good to see you again buddy, we missed you in Edinburgh, can we meet after the concert, we are in Suite 418 at the Royal Plaza Hotel”.

Devon took a quick look at the message and sent a reply, “I am in Suite 412, the same hotel, do you want me to join you for Storm, it will be the very last time thou”.

A very fast reply came back “Yes please, finale like last time, I will arrange the stage manager to get you, what’s your seat number?” Devon smiled and looked up and saw Hugh smiling back, “Row 4 Seat 37”.

During the intermission break, a man in a uniform approached Devon in the foyer, “Excuse me, sir, are you in Seat 37, Row 4” he asked and Devon nodded yes.

“Please, can you follow me, I have an urgent message for you in the office,” the man said and Devon did as requested. Devon was taken to admin, then through a long passageway till he arrived in the green room, behind backstage. As soon as he entered the room, Devon was the recipient of a five-man bear hug, squeezing most of the air out of his lungs, when he was finally released, he had to sit down to recover from the group bear hug.

Once he was able to breathe normally, Devon apologised for skipping out of Edinburgh so suddenly, but he had a really bad case of anxiety, because of the near recognising of him as the mystery singer and told them about the review that was in the paper. They spoke for about ten more minutes before the band had to get ready to go back on stage, Devon said he would remain in the green room and prepare for the finale, and get into place just at the start of the song before.

Later in the show, when David appeared with bagpipes in hand, he and Devon dashed down the passageway, and up some stairs, leading directly to the sound and lighting balcony, arriving with time to spare to recover from the run, David checked with the lighting guy, to ensure that no lights would directly shine onto the lonely singer, that only some very dim lights are to show a silhouette only, and if it was any more than that, David threatened he would shove the bagpipes up his butt sideways.

Devon nearly burst out laughing when he heard David say this, but remembered just in time that the others were finishing the last song before the finale. Once in place, and the applause had died down, Hugh stepped up to the front of the stage, as the others disappeared to get into their places, the lights had dimmed to almost pitch black and a single spotlight shone on Hugh.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, EQD is pleased to welcome back onstage, possibly for the final time, our very special guest singer – Carlton, to join us for our finale for tonight - Storm”, the applause was very loud as the spotlight disappeared from stage and the sound of the sound effects began, followed by David on the bagpipes.

Devon began with saying the words of the first line of the song, before beginning to sing, and once again the other members of the band were spread out in the aisles amongst the audience when they joined in the song and spotlights revealed their locations, before they each began to make their ways towards the stage.

When the song was over, the standing applause from the whole audience was amazing, David saw Devon signalling him to stay, and David nodded that he understood.

When the applause was still going after three minutes, Devon signalled to David, who began to play his pipes again, which eventually stopped the applause, just as Devon began to sing Amazing Grace, and there was total silence from the audience as they listened to the final song.

Once again, the audience applauded very loudly and was still going, when Devon and David arrived back in the green room.

Once again Devon was surrounded by a giant bear hug from the band, and Devon was struggling to breathe.

“You guys are going to have to stop doing that or I will keel over with no oxygen” Devon said as he struggled to get his breath back, the guys slapped Devon on the back, before they grabbed some juice and sandwiches, as they were all very hungry, just as the Band manager appeared and welcomed Devon back, and said that it was the best concert so far.

Copyright © 2019 quokka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. Devon suffering an anxiety attack and nearly getting spotted made him leave Edinburgh. He took a trip round Scotland to Inverness where he discovered EDQ performing and performed with them again. What adventures lie ahead for Devon and EDQ.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Very awesome chapter. It seems like Devon is becoming a regular fixture with the band and he enjoys his time with them while both on and off stage. I think the fans are going to be very disappointed in the fact that Carlton won’t be performing with them after this one night in Inverness, Scotland in the highlands. I have a feeling that they’re going to do a concert in Australia and they’ll talk him into performing with them there. Fantastic story quokka as always.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Excellent chapter, the adventure is just beginning it would seem, exciting times ahead, 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..