Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,342 Words
  • 2,838 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deception - 23. Dec Chapter 23

After we had eaten at the café, Sam suggested that we go and see a musical at the theatre, and I thought it would be a perfect time to educate Tom with musical theatre, and so Sam made a quick phone call to secure three tickets for this evenings show. Once that was done, we dropped off Sam at his place so he could get ready, and we went back to the hotel to do the same, and two hours later we arrived at the theatre, dressed in our best looking forward to tonight’s entertainment.

When we came out for the intermission, my telephone vibrated, signaling an incoming call, and looking at the ID, I saw that it was Jack. “Hello mate, how are things going on the island” I said as I walked away from the crowd to hear properly. “Hi Gres, I thought it was best to let you know that we have some unexpected visitors on the island” Jack said to me sounding concerned. “Oh, do you know who it is?” I asked him, as I stepped out of the theatre, and Sam and Tom had followed me outside.

“Yes, it is your two colleagues from the LMSC, they have come over in the same boat that you used for the inspection trip, and they have set up camp at the gazebo” Jack informed me, “OK, well Tom and I are out at the theatre at the moment, we can come back on tomorrow mornings flight if you want” I responded, as I wondered why Margie and Paul were on the island, without any notification.

Sam now had a good idea what the call was about, as he listened to one half of the conversation, and we sat on the steps outside the theatre, just at the time there was an almighty loud bang, and dust and smoke was suddenly coming out of the theatre. We had all stood up straight after the explosion and Sam suggested that we get out of the way, and we quickly headed to the main street below and hailed a taxi, and we returned to the hotel.

Once all three of us were in the suite, Tom started crying, and realizing it must be delayed shock, I sat beside him and comforted him, and it was a good ten minutes before Tom settled, meanwhile Sam used the phone to call room service for a light dinner for three. Once Tom had stopped crying, he went into the bathroom to have a shower, while I filled Sam in on the full conversation. This is when I realized that my conversation with Jack had been accidentally cut off from the explosion, so I called him back, putting the phone on loud speaker.

“Hi Jack, sorry about cutting you off, there was an explosion at the theatre, we not sure what happened, we were lucky to be outside when it happened so we are unharmed” I said when Jack answered, “Wow, all the excitement is in the city, anyway, I have had the boys scout around and watch them for a while, they have brought their swags, and their boat is moored just off the eastern beach” Jack reported to me.

“Jack, this is Sam Yeoman, we spoke last week, what I suggest you do is just observe, and make sure they don’t discover the entry to the cavern” Sam said, “Yes I remember, Ok Sam I will do that. No need to rush back, my boys and I will be able to manage it” Jack said and he ended the call. The room service steward arrived, and after he left, Tom came out showered and dressed in fresh clothes, and we were just starting to eat, when there was a loud knock on the door.

I stood up and asked who was at the door, as I approached it, suddenly the door burst open and a large number of armed police entered, shouting at us to get down on our stomachs and not to move.

Sam stood up and started to say who he was, when he was hit in the stomach with the butt of a rifle and told to get down now. Knowing how fragile Tom was, I grabbed him and guided him down onto the floor as we were told, and I could hear Tom starting to cry again.

With a foot in my back, I was told to put my hands behind my back and stay quiet, Tom and I did as we were told, but Sam tried once again to explain who he is, but an officer shouted at him to shut up and do as he is told. Sam did as was asked, but I could see from the look on his face that he was not happy with how he is being treated, as we were handcuffed, frisk searched and taken down stairs to a waiting paddy wagon.

About twenty minutes later were arrived at a police station and we were placed in individual cells, and by now Tom was shaking and still crying, I tried to ask for Tom to be put in the same cell as me as I was his guardian, but I was ignored. Sam and I both attempted to ask to speak to a senior officer, which was refused, we each tried to speak to a lawyer and that too was ignored, Tom eventually fell asleep from exhaustion, and after a bit of talking with Sam in the cell next door, we settled down for an uncomfortable night.

The next morning a custody officer gave us a cup of tea and toast each, Sam asked to speak to a senior officer, the custody officer said he would try, but we were not hopeful. I talked to Tom to try and calm him and tell him that this was all just a bad nightmare, and that it would all be over soon. An hour later, we were escorted into the Magistrates court, for a charge hearing, and Sam whispered to us to not to worry, as this is what he was good at.

When the Magistrate entered the court room, we all stood up and waited till he was seated, “Your honour, this is a matter regarding the explosion at the State theatre last night, where these two men and the teenager, were seen leaving just moments after the explosion, they then fled the scene in a taxi” the police prosecutor said.

Sam stood up with a slight smile on his face, “If it may please the court your honour, my friend, his ward and I exited the theatre at intermission, to be able to hear a business telephone conversation, when the explosion happened, we left because my friends ward, has recently had a frightening experience, and we felt it be best to get Tom away from there.

When we were arrested, with more than acceptable force, we were denied the chance to explain, and again at the police station were where denied access to a senior officer or a lawyer, when we asked for one, Gres and I were more concerned about Tom’s mental condition, than the explosion in the theatre” Sam said.

“You look familiar, what is your name sir” the Magistrate asked Sam, “Yes your honour, we met last week, at my first week of work…”, “ Say no more, I remember, can you and Police prosecutor step forward to the bench” the Magistrate said, as we walked forward, and the magistrate covered the microphone, “Mr Prosecutor, you and the police force have just got into some very hot water, I am dismissing this case, and when I have I want both you and the senior officer in charge of the police station, in my chambers in fifteen minutes, now step back” the Magistrate said, “But your honour, I object to you dismissing this case without a reason” the police prosecutor said annoyed, “You will, in my chambers in 15 minutes, now step back” the Magistrate said.

A few minutes later, after the case was dismissed, the Magistrate turned to exit the chamber and he stopped and signaled Sam to follow, which he did, while the police prosecutor dashed out. I wrapped Tom in a tight hug and Tom wept quietly.

A few moments later, the court clerk came up to us, to inform is that the Magistrate wishes to speak to us, so were followed the clerk through a side door, down a passage and into the Magistrates chambers.

“Mr Langton and Tom, on behalf of the court, I wish to apologize for what you have gone through in the past evening and today, there will be a top-level inquiry into this” the Magistrate said. I saw Sam sitting nearby with a big grin on his face, and he motioned for us to sit down in seats just behind him. Moments later, there was a knock on the door and it opened, with the court clerk entering, followed by the Police prosecutor and a police officer with three pips on his shoulder.

“Tell me Superintendent, what gives your officers permission to exercise severe force when arresting a suspect, then deny them their rights to a lawyer when they asked for it” the Magistrate said angrily, “Sir, they were believed to terrorist suspects for an explosion at the State Theatre last night” the senior officer replied, “I am reliably informed that each time these three tried to explain their situation, that your officers not only told them to shut up, but also exerted extreme force, creating mental anguish to young Tom here, as well as visible bruising on the two men before you” the Magistrate said still very angry. “But sir, we were in the belief …” the senior officer began to say, the Magistrate held up his hand for silence.

“Superintendent and Mr Prosecutor, let me introduce you to the newly appointed Federal Magistrate of Australia, His Honour Samuel Yeoman” the Magistrate said with a bit of a smile as he held out his hand in Sam’s direction. I looked at the two policemen, and saw their jaws drop and their faces go white. “Gentlemen, I have just spoken to the Police Commissioner, and he agrees with my recommendation, as of this moment, you two and the arresting officers from yesterday, and the custody officer for last night are here by suspended without pay, until a full enquiry is completed on this event” the magistrate said to the two shocked officers.

Sam stood up and faced me, “Now that introductions have been made, Gres and Tom, head back to the hotel, I will see you soon”, he then turned to the two officers, “ I want you both to take me back to the police station, to collect our belongings, plus to identify the three arresting officers from last night” Sam said as Tom and I exited the office and made our way out of the building, but instead of heading to the hotel, we walked to the police station next door to the court house, and I walked up to the counter.

Facing me was one off the officers that arrested us yesterday, “What on earth are you doing free, you are meant to be in court on terrorism charges” the Officer said angrily, and he started to move around the counter. “Stay where you are Sergeant” came a voice from further in the police station, and looking up I saw that it was the Superintendent, with Sam close behind, and he stopped up close to him.

“Sergeant, my name is Federal Magistrate of Australia Sam Yeoman, and with directions from the Police Commissioner, you and the other two officers who arrested us last night are suspended without pay, until a full enquiry has been completed” Sam announced, and the Police Sergeant looked at the Superintendent, who just nodded his head to confirm what Sam had just said, and he stormed off.

Fifteen minutes later, we had received our belongings, and were about to leave when the superintendent appeared, “A preliminary report from the Fire department investigation, says that the explosion came from the restaurant kitchen, and was caused by a gas leak” he said, Sam nodded his head and followed us out of the police station.

Once at the hotel, Tom went straight to his bed and fell asleep, I remained in his room sitting in a chair nearby, and I too started to drift off to an unsettled sleep, Sam had made sure we reached our hotel room, before he headed to Police headquarters to make a formal statement on what happened, which was done in the presence of the Police Commissioner and one of his deputies.

I was woken by the sound of knocking on our hotel room door, “Gres, it’s Sam here” came a voice on the other side of the door, and I smiled as I opened it. “Hi Sam, what is happening?” I asked pleased to see him, and we sat down in the lounge. For the next twenty minutes, Sam explained what was happening, saying that a total of 7 police officers had been suspended, that he had submitted a statement to the Commissioner, and that the Premier and the State and Federal Attorney Generals had been notified.

I was pleased that Sam was able to get some action so fast, and we talked for a little while before Sam headed home, and soon after Tom walked into the lounge area. “I want to go home” Tom said to me, “Yes, I think that is a good idea” I said and looking at the time, I picked up my phone to book tickets on the next flight to Port Lincoln, for three-hour’s time.

When we arrived at home, I gave Jack a call to see how things are going to on the island. “Jack, Gres here, can you update me on what happened on the island with your two unexpected visitors?” I asked him as soon as he answered the phone.

Copyright May 2018 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 26
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The plural of state Attorney General is State Attorneys General. It is the attorneys -- persons -- of which there is more than one of, not the generals.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, misterwill said:

The plural of state Attorney General is State Attorneys General. It is the attorneys -- persons -- of which there is more than one of, not the generals.

At least, here in the United States it is "Attorneys General," i cannot say if the same language rule holds in Australia.

 

Good chapter.

Link to comment

This is the second or third time in this series that the Australian police have acted in an abusive and illegal manner. I cannot believe that this is an example of typical behavior by Australian police, Are they so unfamiliar with the correct procedure as to behave in this fashion all the time?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..