Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,616 Words
  • 3,038 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deception - 24. Dec Chapter 24

“Hi Gres, I just finished talking with Sam, you didn’t tell me that he was now a Federal Magistrate, anyway as I said to Sam, once they had set up camp at the gazebo, they went for a bit of a walk for an hour then returned to camp’ Jack reported to me. “Ok Jack, you can tell me all the details when I come to the island, I will see you then” I said ending the call.

The following morning, Tom didn’t wake up and get ready for school on time like he usually does, going to his room, I found Tom awake but crying, “Stay in bed Tom, I will call the school to say your ill today” I said and I went and called the school, and prepared some breakfast to take into Tom. I left Tom to rest some more, while I sorted paying all the bills from the island, and I watched a movie on TV until lunch time, when Tom came into the lounge room.

“Uncle Gres, I was wondering…” Tom started as he sat down on the lounge beside me, “What is it Tom? You can talk to me about anything” I said to him concerned. “I have really enjoyed the time we have together, and I want to know if we can do more, after the past month, I don’t feel safe here anymore, can we go somewhere else please” Tom said to me, and although I was a bit surprised at his request, I could also understand why he was making the request.

“Well, I have no problems with us moving, if that’s what you really want, but how about if we went on an extended holiday instead, and see how you feel after” I suggested, and after some thought Tom said Ok. With school term still having just two weeks left, I suggested to Tom that he finish the term at school, then we can head off somewhere.

“Do you have any plans where we will go?” I asked, “No, just nowhere near here” Tom replied and leaving Tom in the lounge to watch a movie, I went into my room to do some web searching for some holidays.

I look at some options of places to go, and an hour later, as I heard Tom turn off the television and go into the kitchen for a snack, I picked up the laptop and carried it to the dining table and sat down, “I have been looking at some holidays, thought you might like to have a look to see what you would like to do?” I said to Tom, letting him look at the screen, and I watched as he looked at the different holidays that I had been viewing.

Eventually after looking at the computer, Tom turned to me, “Uncle Gres, you know how we did the hike over the Owen Stanley Ranges? Well how about we do something similar in New Zealand, I have found this 13-day hiking tour that I found online here” Tom said to me and I looked at what he had found.

I had a good read of the hiking tour of the North and South Islands, covering 96 kilometres and it looked like it would be a lot easier than the hiking tour that we took in Papua New Guinea, and I smiled and nodded, “I think this would be a great holiday, I will look into organizing it in the morning” I said to Tom, who grinned broadly.

The next day, I drove Tom to school before heading off to work, where I asked the boss for a moment to talk privately. A few minutes later in the boss’s office, I announced that I needed time off to deal with some urgent family issues, I said that I could take it as sick and holiday time off or I was happy to resign, effective in two weeks. The boss said to me that he was sad for me to go, especially when I was being part of the Louth Island Project, but he understood that family comes first, and accepted my resignation.

At lunch time, I went to the local travel agency, and showing the lady the printout of the hiking tour in New Zealand, I showed her our passports, and she began to make the bookings for us, and after a snack at a local café, I returned to work for the rest of my shift. When the work day was over, I went to collect Tom from school. “You know Tom, I had a thought, how about when we get home, we call Bryce and Ethan to see if they would like to join us on this holiday” I said once Tom was in the car, “I think that would be awesome” Tom agreed.

“Hello, this is Kennedy Farm, Jacob speaking” came an unexpected voice as the phone call was answered, “Hey Jacob, its Gres Langton here, with Tom also” I replied, “Hey guys, great to hear from you, it’s been a while since we last heard anything from you, Ethan was just saying last week that he hadn’t heard from Tom in a while” Jacob replied.

“Yes, sorry about that, quite a few things have happened over here in South Australia, can I speak to Bryce please” I asked not wanting to get side tracked with the reason I called. “Bryce and Ethan are in the city talking to a real estate agent, things haven’t gone too well lately, so they are putting the farm on the market, they should be back later tonight” Jacob said sadly, and I was shocked that this was happening to them.

“Tell Bryce that I called, and ask him to give me a call in the morning” I asked and Jacob said he would pass on the message and we ended the call. Tom and I went for a walk along the beach for an hour, and we had just arrived home when the telephone rang, and Tom being closer picked it up.

“Langton residence, Tom speaking” he said politely, and I smiled. “Hello Tom, this is Bryce speaking, is Gres available” came the response, “Yes he is, just a moment and he will go onto the extension” Tom replied, and I was already entering my bedroom to pick up the other phone, to join the conversation.

 

 

 

After a short chat about the farm, I decided to not ask him about the trip right away, “So tell me Bryce, what are your plans once the farm is sold?” I asked cautiously, “Well, I was thinking of taking a holiday with Ethan and Jacob, then after, I might take up the offer of a job at the local agriculture machinery and supplies store” Bryce announce. “Well that’s good news, now that you have mentioned the holiday, that is actually the reason we are calling.

Tom and I would like you guys, including Jacob to join us on a 13-day hiking tour of the North and South Islands of New Zealand” I announced to Bryce, and we discussed the idea and what had been planned so far. By the end of the conversation, Bryce had confirmed that he and Ethan would be definitely coming, and that he would check with Jacob in the morning, when he arrives for work.

Once the phone call was ended, I thought I had better let Sam know what the plans are, so I sent him a text message. “Tom and I going on a 13-day hiking tour of New Zealand, Bryce, Ethan and Jacob will be joining us, leaving in three-week’s time”. About ten minutes later I received a reply, “Wish I could join you, sounds like fun, make sure you send me some post cards, of the places you visit”.

I had another long phone call with Bryce on Friday evening central time, with confirmation that Jacob would be joining us, and that they all have valid passports, and that they had organized flights to Sydney for three days before the start of tour, and I said that I would take care of the flights over to Auckland for all of us, and accommodation before the tour, and the hiking tour costs as well. I had already called Jack, to let him know of the changes of plans, and organized for him to continue the construction of the house till its completed.

A week and a half later on the Wednesday, I finished my last day at work, and thanked all my work colleagues for their good wishes. When I collected Tom from school, he was getting very excited about the trip, which was just over a week away, with school finishing this coming Friday. We had been talking to Bryce by telephone every two days, to check that everything was going to plan, and Tom and I had organized a storage unit in Port Lincoln, to store all our belongings, so we didn’t have to be paying rent on an empty unit, which was now bare, with just the basics remaining, for the last week of our stay.

When the last day of school arrived, the last class finished at lunch time, so I arrived at the school at that time, where Jake’s parents were waiting to collect their son, and we chatted for a while as we waited. Soon after the final bell rang, signaling the last day of term at school, Tom raced towards me and the car, slowing down long enough to say hello to Jakes parent’s, before jumping into the car, where I had and overnight bag for each of us. “Are we going to the island Uncle?” Tom asked as soon as he saw the luggage, and I climbed in behind the steering wheel of the car.

“Yes, I thought we could spend a night, and part of tomorrow there just to see how the house is progressing, and so I can give Jack another payment for his building services” I replied with a smile. Stopping briefly at home, to allow Tom to change out of his uniform, we set off towards Louth Bay, where I had arranged for Jack to come and pick us up in the barge. Jack was at the boat ramp when we arrived, and we drove straight onto the barge, and set off to the island, where Jack’s sons were waiting at the beach to greet us. On the trip over, Jack announced that all the plumbing upstairs was now completed, as are the two master suites, which are now fully furnished, with just the walls to be painted in the four guest bedrooms, carpets to be laid and furniture to be brought in.

When we walked into the house from the tunnel, the house looked wonderful, and Tom and I carefully checked out each room downstairs, before taking our luggage to our new bedrooms upstairs. The library looked a bit bare without any books, which I hadn’t got around to doing anything yet, and I made a mental note to do something about it before leaving on the trip. The two main bedrooms look fabulous, and Tom was jumping up and down with delight on his new bed, which made me laugh. I found Amos and Lloyd were in the kitchen downstairs preparing dinner, while Jack sat in a chair in the garden reading a newspaper, and I sat down in a chair next to Jack looking up at the sky through the mesh cover above the trees.

“The boys and I have really enjoyed the past few weeks we have been living and working here on the island, we are going to miss it once the work is finished” Jack said to me sadly, and I thought about what he said for a while. “While Tom and I are away on holidays, how about you and your boys be caretakers of the island while we are away” I said with a slight smile, “Wow, that would be great, we would like that very much thanks” Jack replied happily.

Tom and I went for a walk along the western beach, as we walked Tom chatted to me saying how much he was looking forward to seeing Ethan again and going on a hiking trek with him again, and he said he hoped to be able to see his friend a lot more often than what it has been. I told Tom, that I would talk to Bryce and see if something can be worked out, and Tom was pleased that I was doing this.

After dinner, we all sat down in the formal lounge to watch a DVD movie, before retiring for the night. The following morning after breakfast, Jack and his boys went to Louth Bay to get some supplies, while Tom and I went for a walk along the boardwalk and the eastern beach, which was enjoyable and relaxing. At the gazebo, we sat down and enjoyed the view of the beach and the Spencer Gulf, plus the sea birds and sea lions sunbaking on the rocks below.

When Jack and his boys arrived back, they got to work on sanding and painting the walls in the guest bedrooms, while Tom and I went for an exploratory walk around the southern end of the Island, arriving back just in time for lunch. While Tom, Amos and Lloyd went for a walk and a swim after lunch, Jack and I sat down to discuss business, regarding the island, with Jack being the caretaker, but Sam in Adelaide is in charge of business regarding the islands wildlife release project.

At 3pm, Jack took Tom and I back to the mainland in the barge, and we drove straight home, as we had to finish all of our packing and storing it all away in the storage unit, before we leave Tuesday morning, flying to Adelaide and onto Sydney. After a very exhausting, two days, we were on our way to Sydney, having left the vehicle at the storage unit as well, and we were glad that the start of the holiday had finally arrived.

While waiting for the connecting flight to Sydney, a text message came through on my phone, “Are you free for me to call you? Sam” and I smiled as I sent a text back. “Yes, still waiting to board flight to Sydney”, and moments after my phone rang. “Hi Gres, I just had a very interesting phone call, and I thought you should know as soon as possible” Sam said as soon as I answered the call, “That sounds interesting tell me more” I said wondering why Sam was sounding so happy.

“I had a call from the Mayor of Port Lincoln, as your legal representative as owner of two islands within the City council, he is giving you first option to buy Boston Island, I said to him that we would consider it, for conservation use so it would have to be at a non-residential development rate, and he said ok to that.

He is offering the whole island freehold for $2 million, which I believe is about $1.5 million less if it was sold for residential development” Sam said to me excited at the news. I too was surprised at the news of the island being for sale, and even more surprised at the price, “That’s a big yes Sam, go ahead with the purchase, I will speak to you more about it when we get back from our holiday” I said with a big smile, and ended the call, as the boarding call for our flight came over the PA system.

Copyright May 2018 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 22
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I looked at the previous chapter thinking I had missed something, but apparently I had not. Tom feeling unsafe in Port Lincoln makes no sense at all. If anything, he should feel terrified every time he leaves there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I looked at the previous chapter thinking I had missed something, but apparently I had not. Tom feeling unsafe in Port Lincoln makes no sense at all. If anything, he should feel terrified every time he leaves there.

Up to a point, I agree.  However, it was on a school trip from Port Lincoln that the school transportation vehicle was hijacked.  Actually, if Tom thinks about it, associating with Gres has caused him much of his trouble. I don't quite remember how many chapters back that was. But it was more than one.

 

This is another good chapter.  

 

Quokka, have you recovered the different story where one of your characters discovered the tunnels built back in the 1920s to 1940s era?

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Up to a point, I agree.  However, it was on a school trip from Port Lincoln that the school transportation vehicle was hijacked.  Actually, if Tom thinks about it, associating with Gres has caused him much of his trouble. I don't quite remember how many chapters back that was. But it was more than one.

 

This is another good chapter.  

 

Quokka, have you recovered the different story where one of your characters discovered the tunnels built back in the 1920s to 1940s era?

 

Still, none of these events happened in or because of Port Lincoln. If not for Gres, Tom would be in foster care most likely until he aged out. There aren't many out there seeking to adopt older teens. I believe he would benefit from some mental health counseling for PTSD. Gres sees he is  'fragile.' Well, address the situation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Up to a point, I agree.  However, it was on a school trip from Port Lincoln that the school transportation vehicle was hijacked.  Actually, if Tom thinks about it, associating with Gres has caused him much of his trouble. I don't quite remember how many chapters back that was. But it was more than one.

 

This is another good chapter.  

 

Quokka, have you recovered the different story where one of your characters discovered the tunnels built back in the 1920s to 1940s era?

Yes I have recovered it.

it will need to be re-edited to check for any errors, then I will post it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Am I totally off base in wondering why citizens of Australia need passports to visit New Zealand? To me, that would be like U.S. citizens needing passports to visit Alaska! Ok, I know that both countries are independent members of the British Empire, but do English citizens need passports to visit Scotland?

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

Am I totally off base in wondering why citizens of Australia need passports to visit New Zealand? To me, that would be like U.S. citizens needing passports to visit Alaska! Ok, I know that both countries are independent members of the British Empire, but do English citizens need passports to visit Scotland?

Yes you do need passports, but not visa's to go to New Zealand or vice versa, and with England and Scotland, they are part of Great Britain, so no passport or visa is required.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..