Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,507 Words
  • 2,908 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Farm Life - 7. FAR Chapter 7

We went to bed early, since we have an early start in the morning, with the train journey to Aberdeen. The 2 ½ hour train journey was pleasant with lots of interesting changing scenery, when we arrived, we hailed a cab to take us to the backpackers, were we settled in and we rested for about half an hour before heading down to reception, to get a map of the city, and we spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the city of Aberdeen.

As the hours passed, Preston became more withdrawn, he tried to be a good guide for me as we explored Aberdeen, when we boarded the train to go to Inverness, we had just settled into seats, when Preston’s mobile started ringing, “Preston speaking” he said in an angry tone, and after listening he finally spoke, “Yes mother, I will be there as soon as I can, Bye”, and after hanging up he stood and reached for his small suitcase.

As he pulled it off the shelf, he glanced at me, “My father has fallen and injured himself, and is in hospital, I am needed at home to help on the farm” Preston said in a neutral tone, as he exited the cabin and made his way to the nearest exit. I quickly gathered my jacket, backpack and suitcase and followed him.

By the time, I had caught up to him, he was at the exit, where he was explaining to the train steward, that he was not taking the train, due to a family emergency, and as he glanced at me he added that his friend was coming too.

Once off the train and in a taxi, on the way to the airport, I sighed loudly. “Will you please talk to me, instead of bottling it all up” I said to Preston, having put up with a very long period of silence, and Preston turned and looked at me, “I’m sorry, it’s just that I have enjoyed every moment of my time with you, and now I am stuck on the farm for goodness knows how long” Preston said as tears started flowing down his cheeks.

I smiled as I lifted his chin so he was looking at me, “I will come with you, and let’s see what happens when we get to the farm” said, and Preston gave a small smile and nodded his head, as we approached the airport. Just over two hours later, we were in a small 8 seat chartered flight direct to Stoneykirk, which I was informed by Preston is the nearest airfield to the farm, when I asked him how far it is from Stoneykirk to the farm, Preston said it is a 35-minute drive, and that there is a car hire place, so we can drive down to the farm.

I had no idea where these places were in Scotland, so I just had to wait till I got hold of a map, to see where the farm is. During the flight to Stoneykirk, I worked out that we were heading roughly south of Glasgow, it took 2 ½ hours to arrive at Stoneykirk, and as we were getting near to approaching, I noticed a large Loch to the west, and then ocean on both sides as we came down to land, I was totally disorientated.

I had no idea what part of Scotland we were on, Preston just smiled and refused to tell me where exactly we are, and while Preston was arranging the hire of the car, I managed to find a display of maps, and after searching the place names in the index, I found Stoneykirk, and with the grid references I pinpointed the village.

“Holy cow” I said too loudly, and turning to face Preston I saw he had a huge grin on his face, “Your family farm is way down there, near the Mull of Galloway?” I asked, and Preston laughed and turned back to finish the paperwork for the car hire.

Preston had hired an SUV car, which can handle the slightly rougher road conditions, and as we loaded the luggage in the back, Preston took the driver’s seat and we headed south, I had the map I purchased and was studying it with interest, “Ok so where exactly is the farm”?” I asked Preston who still had a grin on his face, “Well to tell the truth, it’s the very last farm on the Mull of Galloway, follow the A716, which we are on now, we pass through Sandhead, Ardwell and Terally to Drummore.

From there were go on the B7041 and continue till the fork in the road, we take the left road, when you see on the right, a little white cottage close to the road, our farm is soon after that on the left, named Mull of Galloway Farm” Preston said, and I was following his directions on the map, as he said them, “I see an unnamed road to the left before the land gets narrow” I said to Preston, “Yes, that’s the main driveway of the farm” Preston replied.

I spent the next 25 minutes staring out the window, looking at the changing scenery, were it is now mostly flat, with hardly any trees, just low shrubs all over, when Preston slowed down, I noticed the small white cottage on the side of the road with a low stone wall along the front, and soon we turned left and I could see the main house and sheds.

As we drove slowly down the side of the house, two large long haired dogs came bounding out, barking loudly, and they jumped on Preston as soon as he stepped out, I chose to stay in the car and wait till the dogs had settled. I saw a lady aged probably in her late 40’s come out of the back of the house and shout at the dogs to shut up and get indoors, which they did.

Next a boy looking very similar to Preston appeared and I guessed him to be his younger brother Ronnie, who gave Preston a big hug and then a handshake, Preston laughed and ruffled his brother’s hair, before turning towards the car. “Don’t just sit there, come and visit the family” Preston said as he walked to the back of the car to retrieve the luggage.

“Hello Mrs McCulloch, it’s a pleasure to meet you” I said as politely as possible, “You can call me Rose, young man, and it’s nice to meet you too Lewis” Preston’s mother said as she pulled me into a tight hug, which I totally wasn’t expecting, “Come on inside, supper is nearly ready, you boys must be tired from all the travelling” Preston’s mum said as she headed inside.

Preston and his brother had all the luggage, so I walked on into the house, which was very warm inside, compared the cold chill I was getting from the winds, standing out of the car. I was in the kitchen, which looked like a typical farmhouse kitchen, big a roomy, with a large range stove, and a large kitchen table in the middle of the room.

“Sit down Lewis make yourself at home, while I finish up the preparations, the boys will sort your luggage for you and they will be back shortly, Ronnie has a few chores to do, so he will get Preston to help him finish them” Rose said cheerfully. “This is a wonderful home you have Mrs… I mean Rose, not much different from our farm homestead, I presume Preston has told you that I’m a farmer’s son too” I said to Preston’s mum.

“He did briefly tell me, how about you tell me some more about it” Rose said, and so I gave a brief history of the farm, saying that it was started by my ancestors, 5 generations back, about the 1-bedroom stone cottage which was the first building built, which still stands and is now my home, and the other homesteads that were built, including the one burnt down in 1919 and the one recently burnt down in the summer storm fire, with the homestead build in 1920 now being the main homestead again.

I mentioned that I spend all of my holidays working on the farm, and the last three years of schooling was at an agricultural college, and that as well as completing my high school education, that I also have a diploma in Agriculture, and that this trip to the UK was a birthday and graduation gift before I start full time on the farm.

The McCulloch family was really interested in learning all about farming in Western Australia, and they were amazed at how we have to cope with such high temperatures in the summer, as well as thunderstorms and wildfires. Dinner was roast pork and vegetables, and I ate everything that was on the plate plus seconds. Preston and Ronnie had volunteered to wash the dishes, while Rose lead me to the study den, and I was invited to sit.

“I am glad that you have come with Preston, as I am not sure how long, his father will be in hospital, he fell over and broke a bone in his ankle due to having a stroke, I haven’t told Preston all of this yet. If you are able to stay for a while, the extra help would be appreciated” Rose said to me. Mrs… I mean Rose, I would be very happy to stay a while, experiencing farm life from a different country will be very beneficial for me.

I will just need to contact my travel agent in the morning to cancel everything that I had arranged, and also inform my parents” I said to Rose, and at that point Preston appeared. “I hope you’re not giving him a hard time mother?” Preston said with a smile “Not at all son, now come in and sit” Rose commented, and Ronnie appeared also and sat next to Preston.

“Boys, I have asked Lewis to stay a while to help on the farm, what I didn’t say to you boys before is that your father had a mild stroke, and that’s what caused him to fall, I’m going up to Glasgow tomorrow, to stay with Aunt Maisy, as your father was being transferred to the Glasgow hospital today.

I have made a heap of precooked dinners that are in the freezer, for you three, so you won’t starve while I’m away, I trust I can rely on you my sons’ to keep the farm running in good order, and not over work our guest” Rose said looking at her son’s sternly. Preston was given a list of maintenance jobs that needed to be done, and Ronnie was given a list of farm jobs to be done each day.

After our discussion with Rose, Preston took me upstairs to show me my room, which is the guest room next to his, which has a double bed and wardrobe, a comfy chair and a small table, plus a large woollen rug on the floor.

The next morning, I heard Rose shouting out asking Preston where the keys for the hire car are, so she can return it, as I opened my eyes, it was just coming daylight, and looking at my watch it was 7.30am, I jumped out of bed and quickly changed, before dashing down the stairs, “My word, someone is in a rush” Rose said as a came to a stop at the foot of the stairs, “Someone didn’t wake me up” I said looking around to see if I could find Preston.

“The boys are outside, milking the dairy cow, collecting the eggs, checking the goats and feeding the poddy calves” Rose said to me, “Have a safe trip, and don’t worry, I will make sure everything runs smoothly while you are away” I said as I dashed out the back door, and started to walk over towards the main sheds.

“Good morning sunshine” I heard from just inside the shed. It was Ronnie, and he was sitting on a stool, milking a dairy cow by hand. I heard a whistle, and looking in that direction, I saw Preston on a quad bike, and he was waving me over to his direction.

Soon I was on the bike, seated behind Preston, and we were heading down a laneway to a nearby paddock, to check on the goats, the wind was light but very cold, and I had to snuggle up close to Preston to try and keep warm, I had my warm jacket on but it wasn’t really enough to keep the chilling cold wind.

Once the goats had been checked, we stopped at the large chicken coop, and opening the main door, about twenty chickens dashed out, we collected 8 fresh eggs, which we placed in an old plastic bucket, and transported them back to the house on the back of the quad bike.

Ronnie was now holding two large glass bottles with teats on the end, to feed two very hungry poddy calves, as we entered the house, which was nice and warm. Once he had removed his jacket, beanie, gumboots and gloves, Preston got to work cooking some breakfast, of bacon, fresh eggs, small sausages and tomatoes. Before I could ask, Preston opened a high cupboard and a draw, to reveal the location of the large plates and cutlery, and I began to set the table.

When I had finished that, he opened another cupboard to reveal where the salt, pepper and sauces were kept, which I placed on the table, and Preston opened one last cupboard to reveal the location of the cups and glasses, I smiled and placed a cup and a glass for each of us on the table, and just as I had finished, Ronnie came in, bringing a large gust of cold air into the room, and he kicked the door closed with his boot, before dumping the two empty bottles into the sink, before taking his boots, gloves, jacket and beanie off.

The kitchen clock read 8.15am as we sat down to eat, and I remembered that I needed to call my parents, working out in my head that it is after 3pm at home, I pulled my mobile out of my pocket, and dialled the homestead number. “Grantham residence, Lord of the house speaking” came a familiar boys voice, “Very funny Nicky, if I was there I would be the lord of the house and not you” I said with a giggle.

“Lewis, it’s great to hear from you, what have you been doing and when will you be coming home?” my younger brother asked me, “Not for a while Nicky, is Mum or Dad home? I asked thinking that I needed to keep this call as short as possible, “Nope, only Gran is home, Mum, Dad, Gramps and the younger ones have gone to the city for the day” Nicholas replied.

Copyright July 2018 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 24
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting to read the Aussie and Scots slang. A poddy calf in American is a 'dogie' pronounced dou-gey. Interesting story about that word, for a number of years I was a non-singing backstage worker for the Seattle Men's Chorus. One season the chorus did a tour of western states in the US everywhere from Montana to Nevada. One of the songs in the repertoire was "Get Along Little Dogie". I got a good laugh out of all those gay city boys singing Get Along Little Doggie, as in a small hound! We had to teach them how to say Dogie and what the word meant.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..