Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,908 Words
  • 2,334 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fordell - 4. Ford Ch 4

Not long after, we walked over to the left Transept and took a seat in the front row, soon that we heard a lot of chatter coming from the great hall, and soon a group of people entered. “Hush now, we are in a chapel, lets not forget the reason we are here today,” the minister said to the group.

“Sorry Reverend, if you would mind showing us where we will be seated?’ one of the younger men replied, “The right Transept, opposite the family,” the reverend replied, and as soon as they saw us seated, they all froze. A few moments later, the same young man walked towards us and stopped, looking at the three of us, not sure who to speak to directly.

Robert stood up and smiled before taking a step forward, “I am Lord Robert Lindsay, the Earl of Crawford, and this is my cousin Lord Edwin Crawford, Baron of Fordell, and his Mother Lady Alexandria Crawford,” Robert said to the young man, who bowed.

“Nice to meet you, My Lady and My Lords, and my deepest condolences on your recent loss. My name is Andrew Sutherland, I am the lead chorister of this rabble of misfits,” the young lad said, and a few of the choir members complained about been called that, as we saw a young woman enter the chapel with a keyboard and stand, which she set up near the main door of the chapel.

“That is Melissa, my twin sister and our musician for the day, we have the list of music that was chosen for the service, if you don’t mind we would like to do a little practice, before anyone else comes in,” Andrew said, “Go ahead, that is fine,” I replied.

We sat down to listen to the music, as the Minister returned after exiting the chapel, and he was carrying a black briefcase, and we watched as he brought out his bible, prayer book and a bundle of leaflets, all which he placed on the alter, before placing the briefcase down on the floor out of sight.

“Did you chose the hymns and what about the readings?” I whispered to Robert, “We both discussed it and decided on what we would have for the service,” Mum whispered back. The choir began to sing, and the acoustics were fantastic, as we listened to their amazing voices.

Soon the chapel began to fill, and when we saw Alexander, Margaret and the kids, they looked around before I gave a slight wave, and Margaret spotted us, and they began to walk towards us, and took seats on the other pew in the front row. “I have my three staff out the front directing them through the priory to the chapel,” Robert whispered to us, and I nodded my head in understanding.

“What if we don’t have enough chairs?” I asked quietly, “I organised another twenty seats, and the staff have set them up in the chapel foyer just outside the door,” Robert replied, and I noticed all of the attendees having a leaflet in their hands, as the minister approached, and handed us each a copy of the order of service.

When the coffin entered the chapel on a trolley, we all stood up, and watched as it was placed at the base of the two steps leading up to the chancel. The minister started the service with a prayer, before we took our seats, and the choir began to sing a hymn.

The service took 45 minutes and included an Old Testament read out by Robert and a New Testament reading read by Alexander, while I gave the eulogy, which Robert had asked me to do. Before saying the final prayer, the minister mentioned that the burial would take place behind the old chapel at Balcarres House, just East of Charlton Golf Club, near Colinsburgh, followed by a light lunch and that the family invites everyone to attend.

As Robert lead the family out of the chapel and the priory, following behind the coffin, I heard Mum gasp. “What is it Mum?” I whispered, “With all of this going on, we have forgotten to cancel Bea’s flight back to Australia,” Mum whispered back, “So we have, but not to worry, I will arrange it as soon as we get back to Balcarres,” Robert replied.

After the burial service and the light lunch afterwards, I was feeling quite exhausted and drained of energy, and like Mum, I chose to take a light nap to help recover. When we all met up again for dinner, Alexander and family had left to return to Archerfield, leaving just Mum and I as the only guests at Balcarres.

“Now, if it is ok with you, I have arranged some ladies from the church to come tomorrow, and help you sort through what belongings that Bea brought with her, and you can decide what to keep and what to donate to the church charity shop, Robert said to Mum.

“That would be nice, thankyou for organising that, I hadn’t even thought about any of that, and I will have to do the same when I get home,” Mum responded. “Now, in regards to Bea’s return ticket, I have made some changes, as I will be travelling with you back to Tasmania, to help you with that too, so you better let the staff at Wigan Manor know that I am coming.

We are leaving on the same flight tomorrow evening, with a late morning flight from Edinburgh to Heathrow.

“When are you coming back home Edwin?” Charles said. “I am flying back to Zurich tomorrow, as I need to clean up the apartment and pack away personal stuff into my storeroom, that I want to keep there, so the apartment can be rented out, and I leave there four days later to fly back to Tasmania,” I replied.

“Good, we will be waiting for your return, and I suggest that you maybe fly to Launceston and take a chartered flight to Strahan, so as to avoid any media that may be waiting, as they are bound to recognise me, so they will be keeping an eye out for you too,” Robert said, “Dually noted thanks cousin,” I replied.

Hunter drove us all to Edinburgh Airport, where I would board a separate flight to Zurich, while Mum, Robert and Hunter flew south to Heathrow. We said our goodbyes in the car park and made our way into the terminal separately, with my flight leaving first.

After checking in my one bag and a backpack, which is all I brought with me from Zurich, I headed for the departure lounge for my first Class flight. I was well on my way over the sea before Mum and Robert even boarded their flight, and I had just arrived at my apartment building, when I received a text from Robert, saying that they had arrived at Heathrow.

When I stepped onto the top level of the apartment block, where my apartment is located, along with three other apartments, I could hear load music, coming from either my place or my neighbours. As I approached my door, I could tell that it was clearly coming from my place, as I placed the key in the lock and turned it.

As I opened the door, I was hit with the full force of the loud music, and there must have been about forty people in the living areas of the apartment, with most people holding onto bottles of beer or glasses of wine. I walked straight up to the stereo and immediately turned it off, and pulled out the power plug, and suddenly all eyes were on me as it was deadly quiet.

“Would someone mind telling me what the hell is going on here?” I asked loudly, and the first thing I heard was “Oh shit,” and Marc stumbled forward from the back of the crowd, and seeing that I was fuming angry, he turned to face the crowd. “Sorry folks the party is over, and there will be no weekly parties I am afraid,” he said loud enough for everyone to hear, and slowly everyone left the apartment, all except Marc.

“I am really sorry about all of this, I will…” I put my hand up to silence him. “I am going to a hotel for two days, I want this place to be spotlessly clean by the time I return after noon. I also want you gone from here permanently, and a hand written apology written for our neighbours, I will deliver to them,” I said angrily, before collecting my luggage and storming out of the apartment and slamming the door.

Calling a taxi as I travelled down to the ground floor, I searched online for hotels while I waited for the taxi, and the Hyatt Hotel looked good, so I gave them a call. In fluent German, I asked for a large suite for two nights, and they informed me that the Ambassador Suite is available and is 108 square metres in area.

“I will take that suite thankyou, I will be arriving in approximately twenty minutes. The name is Fordell,” I said to the booking receptionist, “Yes Herr Fordell, that is reserved for you, we look forward to seeing you soon,” the receptionist said, and deciding not to correct her, I thanked her and ended the call.

When I arrived at the hotel, I let the porter carry my luggage, even thou I was capable of carrying it myself, and I approached the reception desk, “Good afternoon, how may I help you?” she asked in English then German, and since she spoke good English I decided to speak in English.

Good Afternoon, my name is Lord Edwin of Fordell, I have a reservation for two nights, “Oh, yes I took that call, if you would kindly fill in this registration card, and may I see your passport please,” the receptionist said, and after viewing it, she handed it back to me.

I wrote down my address as Fordell Castle, Scotland, and ignored the space where it asked for a telephone number, and handed the card back. I was informed that the Ambassador Suite is on the top floor, and that if I need anything, to just call.

Once in my suite, I thanked and tipped the porter, before closing the door. Retrieving my laptop computer from my backpack, I placed it on the desk, and started it up.

On the trip over from Scotland, I was thinking of what to do when I get back to Tasmania, and the idea of lecturing in a TAFE College came to mind, so I began searching for what I needed to do to be able to do that.

After some research, I saw that all I needed was a Certificate 4 in Training and Assessment, which would take six to twelve months to completed, before I would be qualified to be a lecturer. The only problem was that there was no TAFE campus’s anywhere near Strahan.

I decided that maybe I could establish my own learning facility, on the outskirts of Strahan, so I began to look into that possibility, and that kept me occupied for the rest of the day, stopping only when my lunch arrived.

I already own one acre of land at Risby Cove, with its own private boat shed and jetty, so I began looking at other pieces of land close by that I could purchase. I was in luck, as I found that 71 and 73 directly across the road from the Risby Cove land was for sale.

Both had old buildings on them that required a lot of fixing up or are replaced, and I sent and email to the selling agent making an offer for both properties at 20% more than the asking price. While I waited for a response on my offer, I did some more online research to see what is available in Tasmania, in the way of buildings that I would build on these two blocks of land.

I also looked into the physics syllabus and mathematics syllabus of the Tasmanian Education curriculum for years 11 & 12, to get an idea how it is taught in high school, and that made me think that maybe using what the syllabus provides, I could develop an online teaching system that could be a useful job, to keep me occupied.

At home, I still have all of my mathematics and physic textbooks from my last two years of highshool, so I had that as a good guide. Early the next morning, I decided to check in with two good friends, whom I had neglected to stay in touch with.

“Hello, Craig Ballard speaking,” I heard the familiar voice say, “Hello Craig, how are you keeping?” I responded, “Now this sounds like my old friend Edwin, who just disappeared on us?” Craig said, “Yes mate it is, and I am sorry for that, I have had a lot happen in the past four and a half years,” I replied.

“That is ok mate, it is just good to finally hear from you, where are you now?” Craig asked, “Right now I am in Zurich, on my way home in a few days time, I have been in Scotland helping family with the businesses,” I replied, “Ok, well when you get home give me a call and we can catch up,” Craig suggested.

“That sounds like a plan, what have you and Brad been up to while I have been away?” I asked, “Well I completed a Diploma in Arts specialising in Graphic Design and Music, and a Certificate 4 in Training and Assessment, and I am now a TAFE lecturer teaching Graphic Design and Music Industry, in Devonport,” Craig replied.

“Wow. Good for you, that sounds like a very interesting career to be in and what about Brad?” I responded, “Well, I am afraid he is nerdier than me, he has a Diploma in Accounting and a Certificate 4 in Business Management, and he still lives and works in Launceston,” Craig said and I laughed.

“Sorry to beat that, but I have Double Bachelor in Mathematics and Physics from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, and I am now fluent in German, Italian and Romansh, and have a Diploma in Computer Science from the same University,” I responded.

“Holy crap, I knew you were smart, but not by that much,” Craig responded, which made me laugh again, “Well tell Brad that I look forward to catching up with you both, when I get back in around a weeks time. I have some packing up to do at my apartment here in Zurich that will take a few days to get sorted,” I informed Craig.

“I look forward to seeing you again sir friend,” Craig said to me, “Sorry mate but you can’t call me that now,” I replied, “Oh, why not?” Craig asked, “Because I am now a Baron, so you will have to call me, My Lord,” I replied, and I heard Craig groan, which made make laugh again.

“Ok, My Lord, I look forward to hearing all about it, when you get here, I presume you are still trying to stay low key with the media,” Craig asked, “Yes, but Mum and Cousin Robert have travelled ahead, so the media will already be on alert, when they see them arrive in Australia,” I replied.

When I finally arrived back at the apartment, I saw a stack of suitcases at the door, and the apartment was spotlessly clean. “I stayed for your return, so I could apologise to you for my behaviour, and I have already apologised to the neighbours, please forgive me, I honestly don’t want to loose this friendship with you Sir Edwin,” Marc said to me.

“I will accept your apology and I will consider your request to stay friends, and my title is now Lord Crawford, as I am now the Baron of Fordell in Scotland,” I replied. Marc took a step back and made a deep bow.

“My Lord, I offer my deepest apologies to you for my behaviour. I will leave you now, so I may catch my flight home to South Africa, all the best for the future,” Marc said to me, before collecting his luggage and leaving the apartment. Once I was alone in my apartment again, I sat down in the lounge room to rest for a while, before heading to my bedroom, and began sorting through all of my belongings.

Two days later, I had everything that I wanted to keep in Zurich, locked away in my storeroom, and I had interviewed and selected a real estate agency to look after and lease out my apartment. Robert had arranged for me to have a new passport issued to me, which includes my new title, Edwin James Lindsay Crawford – Rt. Hon Lord Crawford, Baron of Fordell, and this is the passport that I would be travelling on, travelling business class for most of the journey.

With a single stop at Bangkok for just over three hours, the total travelling time would be 23 hours, and from Sydney, I had arranged a private chartered flight in a business jet from Sydney to Launceston, as I wanted to call in and see Brad, before flying on to Strahan.

Copyright © 2020 quokka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 12
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. The funeral was sad but perfect for Aunty. Edwin will end up alone and bitter if he's not careful,  he needs to learn to respect friends.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

It's interesting how one sometimes can "feel" when the time has come for loved ones to leave this world. Just recently I experienced the very same feeling in my family 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Edwin has suffered changes in relationships as his status changed.  He is being cautious  after proverbially being "burned" and "singed' in friendships.  He needs to remember his humility, humanity, and humor, as he continues to pass through the happenings and happenstance of life.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ReaderPaul said:

Edwin has suffered changes in relationships as his status changed.  He is being cautious  after proverbially being "burned" and "singed' in friendships.  He needs to remember his humility, humanity, and humor, as he continues to pass through the happenings and happenstance of life.

Professionals have proven that  people who have been "hurt, burned, singed, damaged" in their lives, in any way, whether physically, emotionally, spiritually; hold on to these feelings (aka 'carry this baggage') for life.

They can harbour these feelings and show no outward signs,  or they can let them out on others, consciously or subconsciously, through their actions, thoughts, words and feelings. 

We see this in Edwin's actions against others (Marc most recently, Lucas before to a lesser extent by being 'cut off'). We see it in Edwin's thoughts about others being after him. 

These same professionals, learned people all, say (through their studies) that many writers, whether greats such as Shakespeare, Hemingway, Rowling et al, or 'everyday' authors let their personal "feelings" out in the characters they create. Hmm, food for thought? (or as Uni Profs say, "discuss among yourselves"). 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Marc had a party with about forty people without permission.  Edwin should ignore that?  I thought he was quite restrained in his response.  Had Edwin continued to speak at the party, and in his response to Marc, he would have become more and more angry.  Later, he accepted Marc's apology and said he would "consider" the request to remain friends.

Sometimes one may be aware that continuing to speak would make a bad situation worse.  I was in a college situation that took me 35 years to forgive.  When Edwin talked with Marc again, it was obvious Marc regretted his actions, but Edwin was not in a position at that time to continue the original level of friendship.  A reduced level of friendship is what Marc can hope for.  Since Marc had known Edwin for some time, he would also be aware that Edwin would need time for each stage of "getting over it" and have a chance at some degree of future friendship.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..