Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,688 Words
  • 1,490 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

New Frontier - 8. NF Chap 8

There are a total of three bedrooms and a study, with the study filled with more bookshelves, a large solid desk and a chair, plus a number of wooden filing cabinets. “I have spoken to Rita about all of this, and she said to let you go through it all, and decide what to keep here and what to send to her,” the skipper said to me.

“That is going to be some task, I might wait till Sarah gets here, then she can help me get through it all,” I responded, and my brothers were looking at the books in the main bookshelf in the lounge when we exited the study. “You will have plenty of time to look through all of those once we get settled.

We have to get the hire car back to Hobart, and organise purchasing our own vehicle… actually no, I might get Sarah and Oscar to drive over here in my vehicle back at home, no point of it just sitting there not being used,” I said to my brothers.

“How about we sail back to where your hotel is, to collect your entire luggage and we can sail on to Hobart to meet you there,” the skipper suggested.

“Yes, that is a good idea. We are staying at the lodge at Port Huon, so once you have dropped us off there, we will pack and check out, and be on our way to the capital. Where will we meet once I have delivered the car back to the airport?” I replied.

“Just get a taxi to take you to the Midway Point Yacht Club, which is just over the bridge, 8 kilometres away, we will collect you from there,” the skipper suggested. We will need to do a bit of clothes shopping while we are in Hobart, as we lost a lot of our belongings back at home in WA, due to a fire,” I explained.

“That is not a problem, we will just wait at the yacht club for you,” the skipper replied. Once we had returned to Port Huon, we headed across the road to our accommodation, where we informed the reception that we are checking out early, before heading to our rooms to pack up.

Once in the hire car with all of our luggage, we set off northwards to the capital, where we spent the next two hours doing a heck of a lot of shopping, mostly for my brothers, who where growing out of their clothes so quickly now. We had to buy an additional suitcase to fit all of the new clothes and shoes, before we set off for the airport, to deliver back our hire car.

I was just about to telephone for a taxi, when a text message arrived from the skipper. “Change of plans, the yacht is too big to fit under the bridge, so please ask the taxi to take you to the Bellerive Yacht Club in Rosny, it is about a 14 kilometre trip towards Hobart, but just before the big bridge, we will see you there, Skipper.”

When we arrived at Bellerive, the yacht was already there and both the skipper and Francesca helped us with our entire luggage which was two suitcases each plus the extra new suitcase, to get it down to the yacht, where two new people who looked very simular were waiting.

“Boss, these two are my cousins, Helena and Isaac. Guys, this is your new boss, Mr Anton Hamilton, and his two brothers Neale and Jedd,” Francesca said making the introductions, and straight after the introductions, the crew took over loading our luggage onto the yacht, while the skipper headed up to the wheel house, with me following him.

“I take it, that with all of your sailing experience, you know a bit about navigating?” the Skipper asked me when I entered the wheel house. “Yes skipper, but not just on sailing yachts, I was also a navigator onboard a small cargo ship based out of Singapore for two years,” I replied.

“That’s right, you went missing for two years, I remember reading about it in the newspapers,” the skipper said to me, “I often go onto Global Shipping Tracker, to see where they are, and they are still doing the same route that they did when I was onboard,” I responded.

“Well I guess you are now my first officer now, so can I suggest that you study the charts around Bruny Island, so you know where all the submerged rocks and reefs are located,” the skipper suggest.

I just smiled and nodded my head yes, as I walked over to the charts table, and retrieved the correct charts for the area, while the skipper started up the yacht and shouted out to my brothers to release the mooring ropes.

About twenty minutes later, on our return journey to Partridge Island, I took a break from studying the charts and sat down in the chair next to the skipper. “Skipper, I am presuming that the cottage next to George’s is identical in layout?” I asked, “Yes, that is correct, why do you ask?” the Skipper responded.

“Because I would like you and your family to make the second cottage into your own home, so you don’t have to deal with cramped conditions on the yacht all the time,” I replied, and I watched as his expression changed to total surprise, “Well… I am not sure about that, what if you need the space for guests?” the skipper replied.

“There will be no guests staying on this island, just family and crew members of our two yachts. I intend to use three of the cabins to accommodate the crew of the other yacht when it arrives. Sarah and her son Oscar will have one cabin, Simon and Finn will have another, and Kirk and Leon will have a cabin, so there is one free just in case we have family or friends over,” I replied.

“Well, I wasn’t expecting that to happen, suddenly the island’s population goes from zero to seven in one day, and will soon increase by a further six more when the other yacht arrives,” the Skipper stated, and I chuckled at this. “Yes, that is what happens with progress,” I said smiling.

“Do you have any idea when the other crew will be arriving?” the skipper asked me, “No, but as I said before, as soon as I know they have left Jurien Bay, it will be about 6 to 8 days depending on the weather conditions as they cross the GAB – Great Australian Bight,” I replied, as I looked a little closer at the navigation equipment in front of me.

“Hey skipper, why are we at a heading of 345 degrees?” I asked, “Took you long enough to notice, some navigator you are,” the skipper retorted, and I grinned at his dig at me. “I wasn’t really paying attention, sorry,” I replied.

“Bruny Island is directly behind us, while we are on a course for my private jetty at Margate,” the skipper informed me, and I stood up and retrieved the binoculars from where they are kept between the chairs and looked out ahead of us, to see if I can spot the jetty, as I noted that we were currently passing a marina.

“Skipper, I see two wharfs and one, two … five jetties and a boat ramp past the marina,” I stated. “That is correct my young Palawan and it is the third jetty on a slight point that is our destination,” the skipper replied. “Hey… I’m not an apprentice,” I complained, and the skipper laughed.

I looked through the binoculars again and searched for and found the third jetty, which has a small track leading off the road towards it, and behind the shore, was a very neat cream and green picket fence, lawn and a nice white house with a dark grey tiled roof, and a circular driveway.

“Is that your house behind it, with the grey tiled roof, that has a neat cream picket fence along the front?” I asked, “Yes that is our home,” the skipper replied, “Wow, that is a nice place,” I responded. “Thanks, I have always done my best to keep it very neat and tidy,” the skipper said.

The boys and I remained on the yacht, while the skipper and Francesca went to check on their property, returning to the jetty about an hour later. “Right, lets get on our way, we need to be back on the island before dark,” the skipper commented as he stepped back onboard the yacht.

“Was everything ok at your place?” I asked as the skipper headed inside, “Yes, all is good thanks,” Francesca responded for her father, and while she headed to the galley, I organised the lads to get the mooring ropes released and stowed away, as we headed back towards Bruny Island and down the west side of it.

When we arrived at the Partridge Island Jetty, the solar powered lights had already automatically switched on, and seeing the lights on the board walk disappear into the forest, with the trees softly outlined by the lights was quite a magical sight to see.

Once the yacht was secured, the crew helped us to cart our luggage to our new home in George’s old home. “Have you told your family the news?” I asked the skipper as they were finishing brining in the last of the luggage, “What news is that Uncle?” Helena asked, “Yes Dad what news would that be?” Francesca added.

“Anton has instructed us to move into the other cottage next door,” the skipper replied hesitantly, “Really? That would be so nice. Thanks for that boss, I can hardly wait to pack and move in, and I chose to have the study as my bedroom,” Francesca said excitedly, which made me smile, and the skipper just groaned.

“What is this cottage like Uncle?” Isaac asked, “Three bedroom and a study, master bedroom has its own ensuite, and the others share the main bathroom,” I stated, “That is fine by us,” Francesca and Helena chorused together, and this time it was Isaac who groaned, which made me laugh.

“I think I will stick to remaining on the yacht, and have Francesca’s cabin at the aft of the yacht,” Isaac stated. “You have a deal there cousin, and I will have the other bedroom instead of the study, and the single cabin on the yacht when on charter,” Francesca responded, as they headed over to the neighbouring cottage.

“That worked out a lot better than I thought it would,” the skipper commented before following his family to the other cottage. Half an hour later, Francesca had the BBQ going on the decking, and she was cooking steaks and chops for everyone, and Helena made up a tossed salad, which we were soon sitting down and eating on the decking, just as it was starting to sprinkle with rain.

“When you go back to Hobart next, can you please bring back a large outdoor solid wood table and chairs to seat twelve people, and while you are at it, buy any extra furniture, soft furnishings and supplies that you need for your cottage,” I announced to no one in particular.

“Good, shopping, my favourite pass time, do we have a budget, Anton?” Helena said, and I smiled, you will get a credit card to borrow, and you are not to spend any more than eight thousand dollars,” I replied, just as Isaac was taking a drink of juice, which sprayed all over the decking, at the amount I just mentioned.

“You make that sound like peanuts?” the skipper commented, as Isaac started to clean up his mess, “Yeah it does, I am usually careful with the companies money, but I also want to make sure that you are living on the island comfortably too. Actually Francesca, can you go through the cabins and take notes of anything that you feel is missing from the cabins, as I want my other crew to feel at home too,” I responded.

“By the way, in the shed, you will find two quad bikes, to help make carting stuff a lot easier, we should have used it tonight, but with all the extra hands, it was just easier to just cart thee luggage our selves,” the skipper said to me.

While my brothers and I spent the next day exploring the island, the crew moved most of their belongings into the cottage, and Isaac relocated to the aft cabin on the yacht. With Francesca and Helena having completed a list, which I checked and approved of, the skipper announced that he and the family would be heading for Hobart to do all of the shopping, for all of the extras needed.

Two days later in the late afternoon, the lads and I had the two quad bikes on the jetty ready to load up all of the heavy stuff. Once the yacht had been secured to the jetty, and it took all of a good two hours to get everything off the yacht and into their right places.

Collapsing from tiredness, we all just relaxed as the last of the sun disappeared under the trees, and the solar lights all came to life. “Now this looks much more at home,” I commented, and Francesca agreed with me while everyone else just nodded their heads in agreement.

The sound of my mobile ringing made me jump in fright, as I retrieved it and looked at the screen. There are just two bars of coverage, and the caller ID read that it was Anita calling. “Hello lovely lady, how are things over your way?” I said when I answered.

“Hello there, all is good here, although our family will miss seeing you all on a regular basis,” Anita responded. “Yes, I guess you all will, I am sorry about that, but circumstances have changed, so what can I do for you?” I replied. “I just wanted to give you the heads up, that your crew are on their way there.

I received a message from Simon last night, to say they are in Esperance, and will be heading off first thing in the morning,” Anita informed me. “Sneaky devil, he likes to spring surprises on people. Thankyou for letting me know that they are on their way. I will expect to see them arriving in about six days time,” I replied.

Anita chuckled, “Let me know when they arrive there safely will you. James is not with the crew, as Dr Rachel managed to get him a job at the zoo, and all of the animals that he was looking after in Jurien Bay, are now all settling into their new home at the Zoo.

I better let you go, no doubt it is late over there,” Anita said, “Not really, but thanks for the call Anita, say hi to all of the family, bye for now,” I said. I was smiling when the call ended, and I noticed that everyone was looking at me. “That was my company spy, she informs me that the trimaran is in Esperance, so I estimate that it will be here in four days, I announced.

“Aunty Anita is not a spy, she is a copper,” Neale announced, “Yea, and a bloody good one too, according to Uncle Jasper,” Jedd added, which made me smile. “Jasper is a former crewman of mine, and his wife Anita is the Senior Sergeant at the Jurien Police Station, while Jasper is a Sergeant. He took some time off from the police force to work for me, as a skipper of the Catamaran that I originally owned,” I explained.

After an enjoyable evening, we all retired to our homes for a good night’s sleep, as Skipper Hamish and his crew had to prepare for another cruise, that had been pr-booked before the change of ownership took place, and I wanted all bookings to be honoured, no matter who the owners are.

Copyright Feb 2021 All Rights Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 14
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..