Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,677 Words
  • 1,976 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ocean Research - 3. IOR Chapter 3

“Not a problem, I like to cook when I can, which is not very often when I am working with my father and grandfather, when onboard the vessels or on the island,” Joshua replied. “Vessels? Island? Who exactly is your family?” I asked as I began to eat, and Joshua waited for a moment before he responded, right when I was taking a drink of cold water. “Have you ever heard of Lloyd Corporation, and the Submarines Aquaria and Oceania?” Joshua asked as I choked on the water that went down the wrong way.

“You are part of Lloyd Family Corp?” I asked once I had recovered, and Joshua reluctantly nodded his head yes. “That is correct. My grandfather is the Managing Director, Hamysh T Lloyd, and my father is Commander Trenton Blackthorn,” Joshua announced. “Holy cow, I have been following the media stories of those two vessels, they are the biggest submarines in the world from what I have read,” I said shocked.

“Yes, that is correct, they are, and although I have enjoyed growing up travelling around all the ocean’s of the world, I wanted to be more land-based near the ocean, and that is why I selected, the same course in Marine Science like you,” Joshua replied.

“Well you hid your family background very well, how come you have the surname Alliston?” I asked, “That is my mum’s maiden name, but she only had a short relationship with my father. She is married to Daniel Atkins now, and strangely enough, he was already working for Lloyd Family Corp before they married.

I have had enough of living on the vessels and on the islands that the Corporation owns, and much to my grandfather’s disappointment, I chose to go on my own, which I was able to do, thanks to my father setting up a fund for me when I was young, Joshua explained.

“Ok, so what is this proposal that you have for me to consider?” I asked, uncertain of what to expect, knowing that he is from a very wealthy family. “Well, my grandfather has allowed me to own a small vessel, so that I can put my university studies to good use, and I was hoping that you would join my team.

I am not sure exactly where we would be based or what kind of marine research we will do, but I wanted to wait and see if you will be my partner in this new venture, which I must add is totally separate from my families marine research and conservation efforts,” Joshua said to me.

“Oh, and how big is this so-called vessel of yours? Not as big as your family submarines I hope?” I asked, which had Joshua laughing, “No, nothing that big or obvious as that, it is an expedition vessel, which has a Cayman Islands Flag, and for the past six months, it has been in Williamstown, Victoria, having some modifications made, and it is now berthed at Port Hedland, after a 6 day and 6 hours journey over to Fremantle, with a short stop in Esperance, and a further 3 days and 10 hours to Port Hedland,” Joshua explained.

“Hmm, sounds suspiciously big to me,” I commented, “Well, it is bigger than 24 metres, so you won’t be allowed to skipper it, but you do have the qualifications to be a chief mate or 2nd officer.

She is an older ship, built in 1974, and refitted a few years ago. She is 77.4 metres long, with a beam of 13.6 metres and a draft of 6.2 metres when heavy. She has a range of 7,600 nautical miles at 12 knots, has two diesel engines, with 4,900 horsepower, and a 12-tonne lifting crane on the aft main deck.

It has a total of 13 guest cabins and 11 crew cabins, not including the captain’s cabin. What is called the Top deck is just an open viewing area, while the Bridge deck has the captain’s cabin, ships office, two extra bathrooms, a small aft deck and the main bridge. The next level down is the Owner’s deck, that is me, and you should see the suite, it is way too much for me, but I love the space that it provides, plus there are two staff cabins, and a small pantry.

There is also an outside deck area and a walkway leading directly to the Helipad at the rear. The next level down is the Boat deck, which has three large twin crew cabins and one single crew cabin. Behind that is guest area, with four queen suites, and two twin suites. A long central passageway with storage lockers on each side, leads to the aft sundeck lounge and the outer deck.

The main deck below, has 4 twin crew cabins, and storage lockers at the front, behind that is more guest accommodations, with two VIP suites, and two twin cabins. The main hall passes by the galley, pantry and staff service areas, leading to the fitness gym, media cinema, private dining room, the main saloon and the main dining area, and outside there is the outdoor deck with a large spa pool, and steps down to the landing deck. Finally, on the lower deck, there is two double and one single crew cabins, crew lounge room, dining room, change locker rooms, and stores. In the very centre on that deck is the engine room with the cold stores behind it, and access from other stairs, there is the guest pampering area, with a jacuzzi, sauna, massage room, shower and small lounge area,” Joshua announced.

“Wow, that is some ship, I will have to have a look at it before New Year’s so I can decide which job to accept, but your offer is very tempting,” I said.

“How would a salary of $64,020 a year sound for a start?” Joshua asked me, “Wow, that is quite an offer, you are really serious about this?” I stated a little shocked by the good wage for a first-year research scientist, and it was nearly $30,00 a year more than the Aboriginal Corporation was offering, plus much better accommodation and working conditions.

“Yes, it is a very serious offer, because I know that you were near the top of our class at university, so you are worth it, you will get to live onboard the expedition ship, which by the way has a permanent crew of six, who are Australian and New Zealanders, and 8 to 10 casual crew when we need them.

How about straight after Christmas we take a road trip up to Port Hedland, that is if your family and the stations can spare you for a couple of days,” Joshua said to me. “We can do that, and I can check out the 20-metre barge that I saw for sale, which may come handy for some jobs,” I replied smiling as we continued to eat.

After dinner, and helping Joshua with the clean-up, I went to the office, and made a call to Warambie Station, to speak to Dad about me needing to take a three-day road trip to Port Hedland, and asked Flynn to take over managing Pyramid Station while I am gone. “What about the crew? What are they doing for Christmas?” I asked when I walked into the lounge room, where, Joshua was reading a book.

“They will be fine, they are spending a few days in Broome over Christmas, as a five-day holiday for them, and they will be flying back on the 27th, which is the day we can drive up there if that is alright with you?” Joshua replied. “Sounds perfect, and if I do accept the job, will we be sailing back to Cossack?” I asked, “I see no reason why we can’t, I have already had a chat to the Captain, and he has checked the marine maps for the area, and the Cossack pioneer wharf there seems to be in good order still,” Joshua replied.

“Just remember that we have some very high tides in that area, sometimes up to 5 ½ metres at high tide, and 1 metre at low tide,” I explained, “Wow, that is a big difference, but I presume that the Captain will be aware of that,” Joshua responded.

The next morning, I took Joshua with me as we went out on my third and last water run before Christmas, and I made sure to take plenty of water, food and snacks for the journey, which would last till mid-afternoon, as we would be covering the far South West corner of the property, which borders with the Millstream-Chichester National Park, where I will be making a 15 kilometre diversion, once we get back onto the Wittenoom Road, to check out and have a swim at Python Pool, and I had made sure to slip in two beach towels so we can dry off after our swim.

The whole morning was taken up with a lot of rough travelling, and checking numerous water points on the station, and we stopped right on the boundary fence of the National Park for lunch, just a 45-minute drive away from the swimming hole, which I was really looking forward too.

“This is an incredible place, but it is so hot and dry and dusty,” Joshua commented, as he swatted away a few dozen more flies away from his face. “Yea it is, and I love this section of the property, as it is the most beautiful when it rains and gets all green. Do you know what it is called when you do that? Swatting away flies I mean?” I replied, “I think someone told me once but just remind me,” Joshua replied, and I smiled.

“The great Aussie salute, of course,” I replied, and we both laughed, as it was a true Australian custom to be constantly swatting away flies during the summer months. “I don’t why I forgot that maybe I have spent to much time in the tropical islands, and they are not as bad there,” Joshua said. “Right, let's get packed up, we have just one last stop to make before we head back home, and it is a good 45-minute drive from here,” I commented.

“Where is here exactly?” Joshua asked, “See that fence line just there? That is our southern boundary fence, on the other side of it is the National Park, and we have to follow that track over there to get back to the main road,” I explained.

“So, does that mean no more rough tracks?” Joshua asked, and I laughed at that, “Why? Is your backside sore from all the bumps?” I replied with a big grin.

“Yeah, and I swear you have tried to hit every single one of them,” Joshua said which made me laugh some more, “I am not that cruel mate, it is just part of life here, the tracks can get very rough out this way, especially if they are not used very much,” I answered, as we headed over to the station ute.

“You said you have had an offer for employment with a local Aboriginal Corporation, do you have much contact with them?” Joshua asked me a few minutes after we had set off again. “Yes, I do actually, I grew up knowing one of the stockmen, who is from this area, and from him, I got to know people within the Corporation itself, I know all the board members and senior elders, and I am fluent in their language too,” I replied.

“Wow, you are a talented young man, if you work for me, we might see if we can do some joint research work with the Aboriginal Corporation if you can line it up,” Joshua replied. “I can do that no problems, but I haven’t accepted your job yet, I want to see the boat first,” I replied.

When we arrived at the carpark for Python Pool, I was pleased to see that there were no tourist cars here, and as I climbed out, I grabbed the small backpack, containing some water bottles and the two towels, “Follow me, we have a 300 metre walk, to where I want to show you something,” I said casually as I followed the path to the pool.

“Oh wow! This is awesome,” Joshua said when he saw the pool for the first time, “Yes it is eh, and I have been swimming at this pool since I was six years old,” I replied grinning, and for the next hour, we enjoyed the cool waters of the pool, before climbing out and drying off, and I handed Joshua one of the water bottles.

“Thanks for this mate, it has really opened my eyes to what it is really like out in the far North-West of the state, it has been an awesome experience, especially the swim here… What is this place called anyway?” Joshua replied as he took a long drink before handing it to me.

“It doesn’t have an indigenous name, it is just known as Python Pool,” I replied casually, and waited for Joshua to react. “What! You waited to tell me now what it is called?” Joshua exclaimed loudly, with a shocked look on his face, and I just burst out laughing, “It is fine, there are no big pythons here, just little tiny ones, you are more likely to find venomous snakes than pythons,” I responded, as I collected the towels and the backpack, and began walking back to the ute, with Joshua very close behind.

About 80 minutes later, we arrived back at Pyramid Station homestead, where we unloaded the ute, and parked it in the shed, before heading inside, and getting prepared to travel to Warambie Station for Christmas celebrations. Mum was in the house busy cooking a Christmas feast, but there was no sign of Flynn or Dad.

“Hi mum, we are here, where do you want me to put Joshua for the night, in a tent out the back or in the spare room?” I called out as I entered the house, with both of us carrying our luggage. “You would do that to me wouldn’t you, throw me out the back in a tent?” Joshua said to me softly.

“Kipling, that is no way to treat guests, I have the mind to make you sleep outside,” Mum replied crossly, “I was only teasing Joshua,” I said as I lead the way down the passageway towards the bedrooms. A few minutes later I appeared in the kitchen, where Mum was mixing something in a big bowl, “Be a dear and go and put the washing out on the line please,” Mum said when she saw me enter.

“Yes Mum, and I bet Flynn is purposely staying away from the house, so he doesn’t have to do all these jobs,” I grumbled, as I headed for the laundry to do as Mum asked. Right on cue, when all of the tasks had been done, and it was nearly time for dinner, Flynn arrived, and I frowned at him before he headed to his room to shower and change for Christmas Eve dinner.

“Hey son, how did you go with the South West water run?” Dad said to me as soon as he walked inside, “great, there are no problems at all, and we stopped off at the pool on the way back, just to give our guest a special treat,” I replied, “Did you tell him the name of the pool before or after you went for a swim?” Flynn asked as he entered the dining room and sat down.

“Why afterwards off course, just as well too, as he would have hit the roof if there was one,” I replied grinning broadly, and Flynn just laughed and shook his head, “You cruel miserable man, that is just not right,” my brother said. “I guess I should have expected snakes out his way, as we have plenty of pythons in the tropics,” Joshua said.

Copyright © 2019 quokka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..