Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,951 Words
  • 2,021 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ocean Research - 7. IOR Chapter 7

“What about the second barge, what will we do there?” Joshua asked me and I just smiled, “that is easy my friend, we make that into the accommodation barge,” I replied, as I began to draw up the dimensions of the second barge, before adding the dimensions of the 12 containers along the side and ends, but leaving the middle one out on each side, as I started to get an idea of what I wanted in my head.

From side to side of the barge, I drew in an area 24 metres long and 5 metres wide, then I roughly filled in the space in the centre. Next, I drew a rectangle at each end of the centre box, that is about 30 metres long by 16 metres wide, putting the lines about 2 metres short of the outline of the containers.

Joshua scratched his head and frowned. “Ok, I give up, what are those three areas in the centre?” he said to me and I just chuckled as I began to draw the markings for a basketball court at each end. “Excellent idea, recreation activities, like basketball, and …?” Joshua said when he recognised the markings of the courts.

“The centre one you will have to use your thinking cap a bit more, but I will give you a clue. It will involve two containers end on end, with the top cut open, and the inside lined with PVC plastic,” I replied, “A swimming pool?” Joshua asked, and I smiled and nodded my head yes. “They used a shipping container on one of the home renovations shows on television a few years back,” I added.

“Fantastic idea mate, I like it, we could also use it as an aquarium,” Joshua added. “We could but then there would be no safe place to swim, so maybe we could turn one of the storerooms into an aquarium. Now if I add it up correctly, that will be 20 containers on the research barge, and 16 containers on the accommodation barge,” I replied.

“So, you are thinking a maximum of just 8 accommodation pods at this facility?” Joshua asked, “I think it will be more than enough, and if we cut it down to just one basketball court, we will have room for a big indoor recreation room,” I replied, “Yes I agree with you on that one. Is there enough room for the kitchen, stores and dining room? And what’s at the other end?” Joshua asked me.

“Well I was thinking a laundry, supply shop and small library, but if we add another level up at each end, then we could have the kitchens and stores on the upper level, and dining room on the lower level at one end, and the library on the upper level and laundry and supply shop on the lower level, which would mean an extra 4 containers, plus the extra four for the indoor recreation room,” I responded.

“Yeah, might as well make it as comfortable as possible,” Joshua said. “I guess we better get started on buying some large shipping containers and get them converted to how we want them,” I stated and Joshua nodded his head in agreement. “Where will we be living when this is all operational?” Joshua asked me after some thought, “If I am guessing right, your grandfather will want you to sell this ship and bus something a lot smaller, so maybe just something that is comfortable for us and the yacht crew,” I replied.

“Talking about my grandfather, I better turn my phone back on,” Joshua cringed, thinking that he was in for one big ear-bashing from his father this time. “Not realising that it had flown out, we heard the chopper landing on the helipad, and I decided to take a walk to see what the latest news is about the other fishing shacks.

“Total disaster zone, it is going to be quite a task to get all the ruins cleaned up,” Karen said as she and Nicholas sat down in the lounge area, and accepted drinks from the chief steward.

“We have had a chat with our bosses in Peth about the proposal of having shipping container accommodation pods, for replacement accommodation for the fishermen, and they approve of the idea, pending approval from the Minister for Fisheries. The main hurdle is going to be getting the mess cleaned up,” Nicholas said to me.

“I have a new idea in regards to that, you two are in the main deck suites correct? Well, this ship has an additional four twin cabins and four double cabins that can be made into twins, which gives us space to accommodate a further 16 people. Through your department, we could advertise for paying volunteers to work for two weeks, to assist with the repair of a conservation area, affected by the recent cyclone.

All the volunteers have to do is pay for their food and drinks while they are on board the ship, with one day off in the middle of the two week period, for rest, and we can give them a few hours here and there to do some snorkelling and swimming in the area,” I suggested.

“I think that it is a brilliant idea, but will Mr Alliston agree to allow the yacht to be used for this purpose?” Karen responded, “I am pretty certain that he will agree to it, I replied, “Ok, we will contact our bosses in Perth and try and get it set up as quickly as possible,” Karen said, as I stood and headed back to my office to speak to Joshua about this idea.

After explaining it all, and suggesting I move up to a cabin next to his, to free up more accommodation space, Joshua agreed that it was an excellent idea and that he gave permission for it to go ahead, but it can only continue for a month, as he has been ordered to put the ship on the market as soon as possible.

It took less than six days of intensive advertising, and promotion through news bulletins, for the 16 positions to be quickly filled. Karen had arranged for the volunteers to travel to Geraldton by road coach, and from there, we will collect them with the ship, when we go in to get supplies.

I insisted that we cover the costs of food and drinks for Karen and Nicholas for the duration of these volunteer restoration journey’s, which they were very happy to accept, while the volunteers would be paying $700 per week, equal to the amount charged by the other conservation programmes around Australia, to cover transport from Perth to Geraldton and out to the islands, and all food and non-alcoholic drinks.

With two of these journeys advertised, and the second one quickly filling up, Joshua organised for the employment of some casual crew, to assist with the extra workload that they were about to have. The chopper plus the two dinghies would be in regular use, so we would need extra deck crew, as well as stewards and an extra cook.

Arriving in Geraldton one day before the arrival of the volunteers, the seven extra crew were there waiting when we moored at the yacht harbour, near the museum, with Bosun Luke and myself handling deck duties. The captain had organised for the employment of a lead deckhand, two deckhands, a galley cook and galley hand, plus two more stewards.

Once we were tied up and secured, the new crew members stepped onboard, where Luke and myself stood on the main deck aft, waiting for them to come up the stairs. “Good afternoon, my name is Kip Ashburton, I am a 6th generation Western Australian from the Pilbara region, and as you can see on my shoulders, I am the second officer. This is Luke, he is the ships Bosun, and he is one of six permanent crew on board, so they know everything about this ship and how it is supposed to be run.

The ship’s owner is onboard for the next month, assisting with a conservation project off the coast, which you may have seen promoted on television in the past week. This is a working ship, so the guest that are boarding here tomorrow will be working volunteers, who pay for the experience of working in this beautiful part of the world. If you are uncertain about anything just ask.

The bridge deck and owners’ deck are off-limits to all casual crew unless you have been summoned. You have two hours to get settled and orientated around the ship before we will have a meeting in the sun lounge on the aft boat deck.

Deck crew, your cabins are on the boat deck, one level upwards, please follow Luke and he will show you the way,” I announced just as Natalia arrived. “Steward and galley crews, your cabins are on this deck, but you need to go up first to get past the guest cabins, so if you follow Natalia, who is the chief steward, she will show you your cabins,” I said, and I watched as they headed forwards.

“I had moved into my new cabin, next door to Joshua’s suite a few days earlier, which was a lot bigger and comfortable that my previous cabin, as I headed in that direction to change into the less formal uniform. “Hey, how did the introduction speech go with the new crew?” Joshua asked me when I arrived at my cabin door and he was exiting his suite.

“Good, I think, I informed the new crew that this and the bridge deck are off-limits unless summoned, and they have two hours before the meeting at 1600 hours in the after sun lounge,” I replied. “Good, get out of uniform as we are going for a walk, I have a little surprise for you,” Joshua said to me, and a few minutes later I was in casual clothes and heading downstairs, where we came across some of the three new deck crew in the main saloon, along with Luke, the bosun.

“Guys, this is Mr Alliston, the owner of this ship. Sir, this is Lead deckie Judd from Canada, Deckie Matias from Zimbabwe and Deckie Patrick from Ireland,” Luke said making the introductions. Nice to meet you all, enjoy your orientation tours, Luke, the 2nd Officer and I will be off-ship till 1545 hours,” Joshua replied, before we headed outside and down the stairs, before stepping onto the wharf, and we caught one comment from a new crew member, saying he thought Joshua looked too young to be able to be the owner of such a big ship.

“By the way, I have made arrangements for the 24-metre barge to be shipped down to Cossack so that it can tow the two new barges to their new base when they are ready,” Joshua announced to me. “What does your grandfather think about all this extra expense with the two research barges?” I asked. “He thought it is an ingenious portable research facility, that can virtually be shipped to anywhere in the world, and that it will get a lot of use out of it,” Joshua replied.

“I was thinking about it some more, and wondered if we should add an upper level for the accommodation pods, so we have a total of 16 pods, able to accommodate 32 people, which would make it a lot more viable,” I commented, I was thinking the same thing, when I was making the arrangements, so I have ordered for the extra 8 containers, to make the extra accommodation pods,” Joshua replied smiling.

“You and I think too much like my friend, now what is it you want to show me,” I responded and just a moment later Joshua stopped and I slammed straight into the back of him. “Oops, sorry mate, I was just looking at some of those yachts, that motor catamaran looks impressive,” I said to Joshua.

“I glad that you like it, as this is why we are here,” Joshua replied smiling, “What? You bought this catamaran when you are still in hot water for buying such a big ship,” I responded a little too loudly, “Sorry, I am just a little surprised that’s all,” I added quietly.

“Yeah, you would think so, but my grandfather said that I can buy another yacht, as long as it is at least 25 metres shorter than the MV Researcher,” Joshua informed me, as we approached the aft of the yacht, and stepped onto the swim platform and climbed the steps.

“She is 41 metres long, so just under my grandfather’s specifications, as you said already, she is a catamaran, 17.8 metres wide and a draft of 4.1 metres, and it has 5 guest cabins and room for 9 crew. She only has 3 decks, but because she is a lot wide, it can hold more on each deck, and that is about all I can remember about her, as this is my first time on board her, just like you,” Joshua said as we saw a crew member approaching.

“Are you the new owner, Mr Alliston?” the lady said, and she was in casual clothes so we had no idea what role she has onboard. “Yes, that is correct, Joshua Alliston, and this is my good friend and research business partner, Kipling Ashburton,” Joshua replied.

“Welcome on board the Silver Cloud, my name is Olivia, and I am the 1st officer and engineer, allow me to give you a full tour of the yacht,” the lady replied, and her mentioning her rank caught me by surprise a little, which mad Joshua chuckle when he saw my expression, as we entered inside, which looked like the main saloon.

“Here we have most of the living space, the formal dining area, main saloon, and casual sitting area. You have passed the only main outdoor dining area, and when we are moving that swim deck is raised and it is where the main boat is secured, and just forward of here we have two doors, the starboard side leads to a queen guest suite and a twin guest suite” Olivia said as we headed to the port side, and entered a passageway.

We have an identical layout on this side with another queen guest suite and a twin guest suite, and on the right in the centre of the yacht is the pantry, and entry into the galley. As we pass through this door, we enter the crew area, with three twin crew cabins, the crew mess, an officer’s cabin, the laundry and storage spaces. If we go back into the passageway and up the stairs, to the next deck…” Olivia said as we turned around and did as she asked.

At the front, we have the owner’s suite, with study, his and her bathrooms, and an observation deck. The portside bathroom, links in with the very small gym which the previous owners cleared out and used it for storage,” Olivia said as we passed through the area as she described it, but at the moment the former gym is totally empty.

In this passageway, you can see the stairs that we came up, and behind us is the door to the helipad, which is often used as an additional outdoor lounge space, and through this door, we have the second lounge area, known as the sky lounge,” Olivia said.

As we entered the lounge and looked around. “Follow me please and we will go up to the Bridge deck, where we have the captain’s cabin, a storage locker, small galley for the bridge crew, and the Bridge itself,” Olivia said as we climbed the stairs to the top deck before Olivia knocked on a door and entered.

“Captain the new owner, Mr Joshua Alliston and a friend have arrived, and I have given them a tour,” Olivia said as she entered the Bridge, and we were introduced to Captain Amanda Greenworth. “So, what do you think of the Silver Cloud, Mr Alliston?” the Captain asked Joshua.

“It is just perfect for what we want, we are both marine research scientists so it is ideal for what we need, with a few extra surprises that will be useful. May I introduce my best friend, Mr Kipling Ashburton, who is currently 2nd officer on my other ship the MV Researcher, which you see just across the way,” Joshua said, and I shook hands with the Captain.

“Yes, I was watching her as she came in, quite a large ship, and I saw you taking on more crew,” Captain Amanda said to Joshua. “Yes, we are working with the Department of Parks and Wildlife to remove all of the damaged fishermen huts and jetties on the Abrolhos Islands,” I replied.

“I saw the promotions for getting volunteers for that project. If I wasn’t preparing for the handover of the Silver Cloud to its new owner, I would have applied for that volunteer job,” Captain Amanda stated. “Well lucky for you, that is one of the main reasons that I bought her, as it will be my main residence during the project, and using her to take supplies out to the MV Researcher,” Joshua’s said.

“Well, that is a really nice surprise, I have always wanted to go out there and explore it, but have been too busy, with the last charter in the Mediterranean finishing just six weeks ago, and the past owner and family had us sail through the canal and into the Indian Ocean for an extended holiday before they sold it, ” Captain Amanda replied.

Copyright © 2019 quokka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. I believe everything is going well so far and the volunteers will be a great help in clearing away the destruction and then the new fishing shacks can be put in place as well as the new jetty’s. Now that they have the new yacht they’ll have a place to live as well as a way to get supplies to the MV Researcher during this time. I hope everything goes as planned without having any issues arise that will cause further problems with the project. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

There will be a few days delay in posting the next chapter. Sorry. 

Q

Edited by quokka
  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..