Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,408 Words
  • 2,871 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 3: The Others - 18. Home Again

In memory of my Daniel. The love of my life. He lives forever!!!

The flight was pretty uneventful. Well, there was that little bumpiness over the mid-Atlantic, but it wasn’t bad. Amir was pretty amused by it. He had seen planes and knew what they were, so he was fine. It was as I said it would be. Amasis let go of the arm of the seat and once he realized we weren’t falling or crashing, he relaxed and fell asleep. He even woke after a few hours and asked what every parent heard from children on long trips.

“Are we there yet?”

Colin looked up at Amasis. He looked at his watch and grinned. “Not for a few more hours.”

I laughed when Amasis rolled his eyes and grunted.

I looked at Amasis. “I remember you saying you learned patience.”

Amasis grunted again. “Even a god has his limits.”

I was preparing lesson one for Amasis on a tablet I had preparing for an eventual question about where we were.

 

It was the few more hours and our pilot told us to buckle our seatbelts and prepare for landing. We began our descent and again Amasis was not sure how this would play out. He kept looking out the plane window as we got lower and lower. Seeing that we were soaring lower, now he could see the tops of houses, trees, and traffic below. He watched as the earth got closer and closer and he closed his eyes as the rear wheels hit.

We got off the plane and got in various vans and limousines to go back to Wentworth Manor. Mom, Willie, Gabriella, and Alex got in a van to go to that residential hotel to check in that as Mom had booked rooms for while we were in flight. Things were unloaded for Colin, Amasis, Amir, Wayne and me and secured in one of the vans. We didn’t have one of those super-stretch limos, but it was a big one. Now Amasis’ eyes opened wider as he got in and even bounced on the seat and looked at the inside of the car.

“You are a pharaoh,” Amasis said to me.

I shook my head. “No. I’m not.” I grinned and pointed to Colin. “He is.”

Colin shook his head. “I am not.”

“Sure, you are, baby,” I said back. “You ran an Egypt of your own. He did it very well.” I said to Amasis. “He did it here in the past and does it again at Holms' Laboratories, too. He’s brilliant in business.”

Amasis shook his head. “He does with…who?”

I smiled and said how Colin had been a successful plantation owner in the past and explained about the whole laboratory and the beginning of the VUN which was Holms' Laboratories new name.

Amasis nodded after hearing all of it. “That’s very impressive, Colin.” He grinned. “Maybe I should bow to you.”

Colin didn’t like that idea, even as a joke. “No. Absolutely not.”

Amasis could see a little of the countryside as we rode. “Okay, this is not a desert, it is very much like a jungle; very green!” He looked at me. “Where are we?”

I grinned. We had a little more riding to do. “I thought you might ask that.” I pulled out the tablet. “This is a small version of that magic window you know about. To show you where we are now…” I pulled the screen that showed Amir’s village which Amasis didn’t recognize. I showed the mountain under which was the City of Amasis. That he did recognize. “Now, we go higher.” I went higher, showing the most of Northern Africa and the lower part of the Middle East and zeroed in on Tel Aviv so he could see the distance. I showed him the Mediterranean Sea and told him what we call Africa and the Atlantic Ocean as his eyes widened as I went. I did my finger over to North America, showing him a whole new continent which he heard about, but now was seeing for the first time. He was smart and saw the distance and he was realizing he was very, very far away from where he called home for so long. I got to South Carolina and the Eastern Coast. I zeroed into the island where Wentworth Manor was and practically showed him the top of the house.

“It’s like I’m a bird flying fast over…” Amasis frowned. “It’s so big.” He said softly. “This world is so big.”

I nodded. “It is.”

His mind was working it out, but the fascination with what he’d seen was making all sorts of questions. “How high can this bird’s eye go?”

I smiled. “All the way up,” I said. I had prepared for this. “Do you want to see all of it?”

Amasis looked puzzled. “All of it? I assume it does stop. I heard about planets and…can I see it?”

“Sure, people have been up there and have seen it. There are people up there now.” I hit the screen and moved the image to a picture of the planet Earth. “You think it’s big.” I smiled. “And it is, but if we scale out…” I smiled as I showed the sun. “This is the sun. What you call Ra. There are a number of other planets that go around our sun just like the Earth does. Our sun is a star and there are literally billions upon billions of stars that make up a group called a galaxy. Our galaxy is but one of billions of galaxies in the universe.” While I was speaking about it, I showed the image of the sun and then the image of our galaxy and showed the group of galaxies and various images we had seen and discovered looking into space. With each image and he was understanding more, he got very quiet.

“My gods.” He said softly. “I am but a tiny ant in the middle of a mighty desert.”

I nodded. “We all are.” I looked at him more closely. “But we can do something amazing together. One ant alone can’t do much, but get a line of those things and they can really do something impressive. We can do a lot, but together, we can make an impact.” I was watching as he thought. “That’s why we sought you and others like us out. We plan that together we can make that impact.” I looked at Colin as he smiled and nodded at me. Then I looked back at Amasis. “You’re not an ant. You are an important part of this world, at least to these two ants, you and Amir are important to us.”

Colin gave a look that said he wasn’t too sure liked being seen as an ant. “If I’ve got to be an ant, can I at least be a fire ant?”

I chuckled and looked at Amasis’ confusion. “We have them here, little ants that pack a stinging bite that burns like fire.”

Amir grinned. “I’d rather be a scarab, or maybe a snake! A viper!”

 

We arrived at Wentworth Manor going in the grand entrance and one more time, our new arrivals did the slow turn in the center hallway downstairs. Robert, our houseman came out to greet us.

“So, have you had enough jetting around the world for now?” Robert asked smiling. He held his hand out to Colin. “Welcome home.”

“Thank you, Robert.” Colin nodded. “For now we’ve seen enough.” He introduced Amir and Amasis to him.

Wayne stretched and yawned. “All this jetting has worn me out. I’d love to get to know you more, but I’m going to bed.” He hugged Colin and me. He looked at Amasis and Amir, smiled and hugged them, too. “Welcome to the family.” He said and stopped. “I know we just got back, it will be a week from now, but…”

I looked at him. “…but?”

Wayne grinned. “Well, it would be my first Christmas with Katie, Sean, and the kids and…” he smiled. “I’d like to be there for the first one since I became more human.”

Colin looked at Wayne. “I hope you don’t think…” he shook his head. “No, you were just letting us know, right?” He smiled. “It almost sounded like you were asking our permission.”

I shook my head. “He is polite. I’m sure that’s just what he was doing.”

Wayne laughed. “Sure. Let’s go with what Colin said.” He grabbed Colin and then me. “I can spend time with the grandkids and see Thornwood.”

“Say hello to them all,” I said. “I know Kelly will be thrilled to have you there.”

Wayne smiled. “I’ll miss you guys. I’ll be back the first of the new year.” He turned and held up his hands to wave goodbye to Amasis and Amir. “You’re with family, so you’ll be fine here.” He said and took the stairs up to his room.

 

It was the beginning of December and they had already started to decorate for the holidays. Now, I was insisting on doing more. I simply told Amasis and Amir about Christmas. Amasis was born way before Christ was even born, but he understood the world celebrating this day. He appreciated the holy and secular aspects of Christmas. I showed them my Christmas traditions of Rudolph and Frosty. Amasis was in awe of the huge screen and he tried to reach to see if he could touch Rudolph a few times. Of course, we shared my tradition with a huge bowl of buttered popcorn. That was a first for Amasis and Amir. There was no corn in Egypt! Not when Amasis was pharaoh. When he went underground, he didn’t consume anything but blood, so it was all new.

I loved all the members of my family. I’m not just talking about Mom or Willie or Colin or Gabriella. Mark, Stan, Shelly, and Chuck were who I considered family as well, but having Amasis, Amir and Colin…just us was priceless. I loved having them around and spending time with them. Amasis marveled on our climate. For so long all he saw was rock. I had a feeling he did a lot of construction to see something other than rock. Amasis just watched as he wasn’t sure at first at this holiday was done. The animated figures on the screen singing, moving and songs, he quickly got into the show and became fascinated and I knew I got another convert!

Colin and I went to bed one night and as we were getting settled he rolled over to me. “You’re doing a lot for Amasis and Amir, they seem to be settling in more with us.”

I looked at Colin. “I know I’ve been spending a lot of time with Amasis. Amir has a good understanding of English and he’s getting better, but Amasis doesn’t always understand. He knows some English, but he’ll need a stronger knowledge than he has now.” I chuckled. “The other day he began singing There’s Always Tomorrow to himself.”

Colin looked at me with a blank expression. “Okay.”

I nodded sitting up a little more. “And you have no idea what I’m talking about, do you?” I said pushing him back so I was over him.

Colin shook his head. “Sorry.”

“Oh, my god!” I said lamenting. “You’ve seen it with me how many times now? The song Clarice sings to Rudolph!?”

Colin was chuckling as he turned us back over. “I don’t watch it as religiously as you do, but I just don’t remember the song!”

I held a finger up. “Ah, but Amasis does!” I nodded. “That proves it works!”

“What works?”

“He’s learning English!” I smiled. “He was occasionally singing the wrong words, but he’s thinking about it.”

Colin looked serious a second. “Okay, please listen to what I’m going to say.” He said quietly. “This isn’t about me as much, but…and please hear me.” He said pleading. “You don’t mean to, but…he may fall in love with you.”

I kidded him about that several times, but I saw his eyes. “Do you think so?”

Colin looked helpless. “I’m not worried about you falling in love with him, but he’s…fragile now. He has no one left except Amir…and us now. How can he not fall in love with you? I did.”

“I don’t mean for him to.” I said seriously.

Colin nodded. “I know.” He let out a breath. “He may not want to, but he might be powerless to stop it.”

“I can’t do anything different with him,” I said as I ran my fingers in his hair. “I’ll be careful, but he’s in a pretty awful position. I let up and he’s hurt perhaps not knowing why I do too much and he gets hurt because I rejected him.” I looked at Colin. “You need to be there more often.”

Colin nodded. “I can be.” He smiled. “I’ll be the watchdog for your heart.” He said kissing me. “No one can resist you, Devon. I knew the first day I had no chance, but fall in love.”

I nodded. “But I love that you are.” I brought my arms around him kissing him deeper. “I’ll be more careful.” I pushed him back a little. “What about you?”

Colin shrugged. “I don’t think I’m in danger here.”

“Why not? You’re gorgeous and nice as Hell!”

“He and I…,” he thought, “…we’re too much alike. It wouldn’t happen.”

“I love you,” I said.

Colin nodded kissing me. “I know. I love you.”

I pulled him closer. “Show me.”

Colin smiled. “With pleasure.”

 

It was a few days before Christmas. We were planning a Christmas party. Not a big one with just family we had here and a few new friends. We invited Mitch and his family who included a big Russian named Sasha and his husband named David. I was putting some last moment touches on our Christmas tree we had in the library. We had another massive, taller tree at the entrance and music of the season played throughout the house.

“…it’s just amazing how you can have music anytime!” Amasis looked again for the musicians playing as he helped me.

“Is it amazing to have words written down to convey an idea?” I asked. “We found a way to…sort of write down sounds. Like a scroll that can be read by anyone to convey an idea. We write down the sound to have music.” I said shrugging.

Amir was adapting quite well. He discovered earphones and was listening to some other music I know his father would question. I had shown him how to surf the YouTube website to find more songs and he was loving it!

Colin came in carrying mugs of steaming tea on a tray filling the room with the scent of cinnamon, a hint of orange and spices; mixing with the smell from the live tree and it was feeling more like Christmas to me. “Okay, this is another McGee tradition.” He said handing Amasis a cup. “It’s hot but very good.” He nodded at me. “It’s his mother’s recipe.” He bowed at me. “Sorry, I misspoke; it’s our mother’s recipe.” He said as Amasis sniffed and sipped. “Careful, it’s hot!”

Robert came into the library. “Excuse me, Colin.” He said not wanting to intrude, but something he wasn’t sure about what action he should take…he thought Colin needed to know about. “Normally, I would take a message, but you have a call. The man says must speak with you.” He said holding out a portable handset.

Colin nodded. “Okay. It’s on the landline? Everyone else has my number to me directly, but, he must speak with me?”

Robert nodded. “It’s a matter of life or death, he said. It’s Dr. Tad Morsi.”

Colin lost his smile as he looked to me. “Please pick up the other phone?”

I nodded and went to our phone we used only for household issues like visits and future appointments…stuff that wasn’t personal; miscellaneous things. I went to the phone in the library and picked that one up.

Colin touched a button to bring the call up. “What can I do for you, Dr. Morsi?”

We both heard a sudden sigh. “You are home.” He sounded relieved.

Colin frowned. “Our presence was not really received there as is should have been.”

“And I don’t know what to say.” Tad Morsi said and now he sounded pressured and began speaking more rapid. He did speak English, but his native accent was heard now by both Colin and me. “I’m an academic, Mr. Wentworth. I don’t know what’s going on, but when I mentioned you to my brother…who at first not helpful. He’s the one in office and well…he mentioned it to Rafa, my other brother…suddenly you were to be taken to that house…and I didn’t understand…” he said quickly. “I heard about an explosion in the desert…injuries…potential deaths…that’s not important...you’re home and unhurt!”

Colin looked confused as his eyebrows came together. “Why did you call here now?”

Tad Morsi hesitated. “I just…” he stopped. “I needed to know if you were…understand…” he sounded truly upset, “I’m not a bad man, Mr. Wentworth.”

“And your brother is?” Colin asked. When Tad Morsi didn’t answer right away, Colin pressed on. “I know he’s was in the military, I know he is a retired General. I can almost bet the house was under surveillance with listening devices as well as cameras. You came by the house we were staying in after I said we were going out of town. Why?”

“I’m not with him, Mr. Wentworth. Believe me!” Tad said. “I really shouldn’t be talking to you now. My brother asked me to find out about you…to see if you were gone and your things still there.”

“You didn’t want to buy the program,” Colin said.

“That’s not true at all! I do want it!” Tad said in a hurry. “That program was easy to use and it translates right there! No big equip…”

“What did your brother hope to find?” Colin interrupted almost yelling.

“For a clue as to where you’d gone. I told him your things were there…and I did like you…and your husband! I don’t care about that…it’s just different…I didn’t understand what you could be or have…whatever it is it caught Rafa’s attention and wanted…” Tad said. “…his crew when his crew got there, it had been cleaned out! He thought you’d gone to meet someone in the desert, that’s why I called to be sure it wasn’t you or Devon…it was few weeks later…he’s watching….” his voice stopped as he was listening for something elsewhere and the sound of him covering the phone or mouthpiece? Then his voice came back in a whisper. “He wants something from you very badly. Be careful. I can’t say more!” He said and ended the call.

Colin held the phone away looking at it as if he’d never seen one before. He looked at me with a baffled look. “What the…”

I shook my head. “This can mean a couple of things,” I said. “He calls to confirm we are here or he really isn’t in with his older brother and sincerely wanted to warn us.”

“Calling me on my personal phone…I could be anywhere.” Colin hit the button to disconnect. He nodded. “He did call the house the first time, maybe his brother doesn’t have that number.” He thought. “We’re not in the book…It can also mean a lot of possible other things.” He looked at me. “Maybe we need to tell security to be even more careful than we feared.” He frowned. “I wished your mother and my daughter hadn’t chosen now to move out.”

“And we confirmed it when you answered the phone.” I nodded.

“We can’t hide, Devon,” Colin said. “If they want to come, let them come. We’re more prepared here at Wentworth.” He frowned. “Someone is interested. We need to find out who and why.”

“We know why,” I said. “We need to know what and how they found out.”

“We’ll get details when they do come,” Colin said.

I looked at Amir who was still listening to the music and Amasis was…staring at us.

“Is…there problem?” Amasis asked in broken accented English.

Colin walked over and put an arm around Amasis’ shoulder. “Honestly?” Colin said using the translator. “There is, but I don’t know what. Not yet.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Never did like the idea that Tad was connected to a General... Could it be he's heard the name Amasis and wants the Egyptian treasure? Don't think that's it as he is still wanting to know where they are... someone is wanting to contact them and take control .... BUT who? 

 

Be prepared for some Christmas firework by the looks of it. Whatever it is they wanted to be seen and they seem to be getting noticed. Loving the way this is developing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I thought Chuck, Shelly, Mark, and Stan were flying commercial back to NYC… I guess they changed their minds when they checked the cost!  ;-)

 

And Wayne probably should have gone with them to NYC. More (and cheaper) flights out to the UK. Unless he’s aiming for more mileage points.  ;-)

 

 

Wentworth is set up to be more secure than VUN.uk or Holmes Labs. And they aren’t putting as many uninvolved people at risk if they are attacked.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..