Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,968 Words
  • 2,890 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 3: The Others - 24. Plans For A Future

In memory of my Daniel. The love of my life. He lives forever!!!

George flew in the next day with my mother. She saw me and covered my face with kisses, which I let her do. She was my mother. She loved me.

I laughed after a few kisses and hugged her. “I’m okay, Mom.”

She shook her head. “I can see that, but I was so frightened.”

I shook my head. “I wasn’t.” I smiled. “Well, I was a little. Who knew what they would do, but they wanted me alive to find out more. I knew they wouldn’t kill me.” I turned toward Colin. “I knew he was coming. I knew they all were coming.”

She nodded running a hand over my cheek. “I just had to see for myself.”

I shrugged. “It’s a hard life now.” I looked her in the eyes. “You knew that.”

“I did.” She smiled. “But you’re my baby. A mother worries.”

I smiled and nodded. “I know.”

Then George came to me and hugged me. “It’s good to see you.” He smiled and looked at my arm and turned it to see my disc. “We need to replace that. You only have a few days left.”

I nodded with a smile. “Sure.”

 

The disc was put in and things were going to be okay for a month. Colin was there as always, but a little…overcompensating for what happened. I knew what he was doing and just ignored his…well, it wasn’t hovering exactly, but close. He was always there. It is a good thing we were married and I liked him.

Edwin came into the library where Colin and I sat. “There’s a call for you in my office.”

Going in Edwin’s office, Colin sat down at the computer and hit the keys to call up the connection. He saw Stan’s happy face with Mark standing behind him.

“You just couldn’t stay home, could you?” Mark grinned.

I nodded. “Well, I’d never been to Germany.” I shrugged.

Stan looked back at Mark and shook his head. “Let me talk?”

Mark waved at the camera. “You have the connection.” He said not bothered a bit.

Stan nodded. “Thank you.” He said and turned in the screen. “I’m calling to tell you we have a partial translation….and I found out some interesting things.”

My eyebrows went up. “Oh?”

“And get this,” Stan said. “This guy wasn’t just one guy! He was a group of guys that span a few generations.”

I nodded. “That makes sense. I knew one guy couldn’t think of this.”

“And!” Stan raised his signature finger for emphasis as he always did. “Get this: it wasn’t just the young women that were involved.” He shook his head. “No, it would be a whole village!”

“How?” Colin asked.

“They would find this village that was poor and didn’t have a lot of food necessarily, but had enough childbearing young women,” Stan said. “And!” Stan said excitedly again. “It had to be both the men and women on this…elixir…that was what Buddy and the Delkenzie program decided to call it.” He said. “They would send in supplies to these villages and put the elixir in the water supply. The Others were made by two parents on this elixir!”

I nodded. “So both parents had this…stuff in them when they made these Old Ones.”

Stan nodded. “That’s right.” Then he looked carefully. “Now, this is from several scrolls I scanned. Buddy had to piece together all of them to come up with this…whole thing. The original scrolls are still to be translated, using the parts from the other scrolls…it's coming. There were about five villages involved throughout Egypt and through the Middle East. There were over a thousand births that were a result. There were many pregnancies that didn’t make it, but the ones that did…” he looked at another screen to read something there. “…were the cursed of the gods; suckling on their mothers’ blood and had white skin and born with six teeth.” He looked back at us. “That’s what one scroll said.” He smiled. “That was from a village apparently found now in Israel.”

I frowned. “I wondered how they nursed.”

“Yes, but a mother nurses a baby with her breasts, imagine her being bitten. Did she turn into a vampire?” Colin asked.

“There were no indications, maybe the venom wasn’t released then,” Stan said. “Perhaps when these Old Ones had to mature?” He looked again. “They also grew fast. In two years the children would all disappear. They looked, according to record, about five or six years old.”

I shook my head. “But a woman giving blood every day would die.”

Colin gave a shrug and some consent. “Most mothers would give whatever her baby needed and maybe they didn’t need that much early. They left because the need to feed grew.”

“How could they come up with this!?” I asked anyone and no one. “They were the perfect killers!”

“It is possible that it was an accident,” Stan suggested.

I nodded at that thought. “Maybe.”

“Too bad Gizmo didn’t survive,” Colin said glumly.

“What about the bodies we left in Germany?” I asked and then remembered. “Oh, right. They decay fast. Would there have been anything left of Gizmo or those other four?”

Colin shrugged. “I don’t think so. They would have dissolved in a day. I don’t know about the Hoffman guy.” He thought again. “Even if the military for Germany got there in time to see the bodies, there would be nothing to take back and study.”

I nodded and then shook my head. “This is too perfect! There would be no evidence of bodies. The sun makes them burn and time makes them dissolve if there’s no sun. The only thing would be a dead human drained of blood. Who could have worked up an elixir that is capable of this? There to be trial and error to find one that worked and evidence of others that weren’t totally vampires. “

Stan nodded. “I believe there are.” He said. “This goes farther back than the ten thousand years. We’re talking several thousand more back. This group of men were…whatever they were back then…chemists, making poisons and cures for things like something to turn lead into gold…alchemists!” He said in triumph. He grinned. “They couldn’t turn lead into gold, but they turned men into vampires. They like to perfect things, in this case. People.” He said sadly.

“I hardly call it perfect, but it only worked when both parents were on this elixir?”

Stan nodded. “According to what I read? Yes.” He shrugged. “They knew to make a child; a man has something to give as well as the woman. They made sure both of them had this elixir.”

“Why are these other scrolls easier to translate?” Colin asked. “I thought there should have no writing back then.”

Stan nodded. “These were testimonials that were passed down. It was written later to keep history. They weren’t that hard.”

“Okay.” I nodded and sighed leaning back in the chair. “This mystery just keeps unraveling.”

Stan shrugged. “There were mentions of a magician and gods and other demons…”

Colin shook his head. “I don’t believe in those.” He dismissed quickly.

I shrugged. “People don’t believe in us, either, Colin.”

“You think someone conjured us?” Colin asked.

“I’m saying…no one believes until they are shown that which was unbelievable.” I clarified. “I’ve never seen a ghost, I don’t know any witches that have any powers.” I chuckled. “I don’t even have proof of God, but I hope He’s there.” I looked at Colin. “I’m suggesting we keep an open mind.”

Colin shrugged grumbled. “I guess.”

I shook my head and frowned. “Way to go. Keep that mind open, Colin.” I said sarcastically.

Colin shook his head and shrugged. “I’m sorry, but most times when things go bump in the night there is an explanation. It’s only when people can’t figure it out they claim it’s magic.”

Stan nodded. “So, what’s next?”

“I guess we just progress to the next capital,” I said and looked at Colin. “I knew we needed to go to Egypt, but I feel nothing about any of the capitols now.”

Colin thought as well and after a few seconds shook his head. “You were right about Egypt. I don’t think any one place needs us more than any.”

“We do have a wedding in five months.” I smiled. “Has Gabriella mentioned any more about that?”

Colin smiled and shook his head. “No, she and our mother are planning the whole thing.” He shrugged. “The only thing we’re doing is picking up the tab and showing up.”

 

We later consulted with George about the new findings.

“That was an Old One,” I said after explaining Gizmo to him.

George thought about what I said. You could see the man’s eyes as he thought. “Well, I’m no anthropologist, I don’t claim to understand evolutionary changes, but I think Stan may be right. It may not be because anyone designed this…elixir. It could be random chance. Or it can be a mutation.”

“The vampires?” Colin asked. “One I could accept, but we’re talking about hundreds…maybe thousands of vampires.”

George grinned. “Not the vampires…the substance used to make the vampire.” He smiled. “Be it plant based or animal based, it could have been a random mutation of either the plant or animal that created this elixir.” He sat back deep in thought again. “People are always looking for things to use to ease pain and improve a person. Think about it. How many plants were used before we found that a particular plant that helped? Easing pregnancy is an important reason. It could have been a beneficial plant they thought would do that. Finding out it caused these effects was a chance taken and proven to have another effect.” He leaned forward. “We are the result of these Old Ones. The people they infected were changed into wild vampires with the bite and venom. The vampires themselves developed without genitalia and without the bowels needed to process solid food. Speculating on whether it designed to do that is futile. It happened. We are from a long line of vampires. Each person turned is a new generation. Colin is a vampire made by Brett Marshall, who was made be one of Marissa’s nephews. Marissa herself made her nephew a vampire. You, Devon, are a great-great grandson of Marissa, using the venom as a means to produce. Colin was your maker, having re-made Brett’s venom as his own.”

I nodded. “So, Wayne was the second generation of a vampire.”

George nodded. “A vampire usually kills his prey. Only occasionally does that prey survive. Let’s say, one a month or even longer, one survives. That progresses down through thousands of years. Then venom is now clogged with human DNA; losing its potency. Wayne was a man. Having all parts of a man from birth, when he was bitten, he didn’t lose his genitalia or bowels. So, changing him back even partially was difficult, but not impossible. I don’t think an Old One can be changed to a man as he never was a man in the first place.” He looked at both of us. “Are you following this line of reasoning?”

I nodded, but Colin was frowning. “So, eventually the venom won’t work at all?”

George laughed lightly. “Probably, but we’re talking hundreds, if not thousands of years. A vampire’s life span is virtually unlimited….” He frowned, “…I think.”

“You think?” Colin asked.

George shrugged. “I’m guessing…without hard evidence, we may age, but it’s so slow that it just seems like we’re immortal. Things in life threaten us and we die before we find out.”

“Amasis might have aged since he was turned?” I asked.

George shrugged again. “Without a cell count from the beginning, I wouldn’t know. He was breathing when a vampire. His body temperature was so low it was like refrigeration and the death of cells is was vertically undetectable.” He looked at me. “If you meet another Old One, I hope you can befriend that one, too. I’d love to study him.”

“So, all of the Old Ones are male?” I asked.

“We’ll see.” George said. “The three that were sighted or met were male we think because of seeing their dicks, but can’t reproduce in a natural way. I need study time with one.”

I nodded rolling my eyes. “We’ll put it on the list.”

“An Old One would be over here, though, not in the United States,” Colin said.

George smiled. “Are you sure? With migration and all that…there might be one there in the United States.”

Colin shrugged. “I know we have a better chance over here.” He said reasoning.

I smiled and changed the subject. “How’s your vampire detector going?”

Colin smiled. “It’s getting better. Stan was writing a program that he can put into Buddy. He says, the program itself doesn’t need to be in the device to make it a detector, but the device can use Buddy to sift through the air to find the scent and Buddy can work from where he is and determine if they are a vampire or not. We just need a vampire that’s not on the serum to find out. New York is beginning to thin out with vampires.”

“Which brings me to another thing,” I said. “We need more people. If we’re going to fan out a search…the United States is huge! We need personnel!”

Colin nodded. “Has Marissa’s family in Georgia and Texas been found?”

George nodded. “A few; we sort of forced them into hiding.”

Colin shook his head. “We are financially sound for now, but this could get expensive, but we need people.”

“People that can be trusted,” I added.

George nodded. “Maybe Director Chance can recommend others to help.”

“But they can’t be FBI,” Colin said. “We used them to get backing from a branch of the government and to cover our butts from people seeing we have an odd long background.”

“The more people involved…” George said. “…the more chance of hiring the wrong person.”

I nodded. “We’ll just have to be careful with who we hire.”

 

We flew back to Charleston and I realized. I was home. I know, it doesn’t make sense to some, but…this was Colin’s home that he invited me to live with him in. Now, coming in the door I had this feeling that I was truly…HOME. Robert, our houseman greeted us with familiarity. Bertie our cook knew us and what we liked and seemed to like doing the cooking for us, especially Colin who was a bottomless pit.

Colin grinned at me seeing my smile as I literally plopped down on our comfortable sofa in the library; my hand rubbing the sofa that was an old friend now. “We need to spend more time here.”

“We do spend time here.” I smiled. “It’s just now…I feel I’m back home.”

Colin came and sat by me. “I’m going to build some guest houses on the property.”

I looked up and nodded. “There’s enough land.” I smiled. “Inside the stone fence and outside, but we don’t often need the room.”

“But when we do, we’ll have the extra space.” Colin said. “With our VUN growing, there will be times we have a lot more people staying here.”

I nodded. “It makes sense,” I said pulling him into a kiss which grew more intense by the second and Colin wasn’t minding it a bit as he was kissing just as hard with as much feeling. I pushed him back a little. “We’d better go upstairs.”

Colin nodded as he pulled on the crotch of his pants that was now tenting in the front. “We’d better.”

I looked down. “You should wear briefs and then you wouldn’t have as much trouble.”

“That might not help, you make it so hard, I could rip the fabric.” He chuckled and shook his head. “I agree with Amasis. They can pinch.”

 

Mom helped Gabriella and Alex find a house that wasn’t too far from Wentworth Manor. Mom and Willie had renovations and a remodel going at the house I grew up in. The wedding was being managed by the two women of Wentworth with a lady that seemed to know weddings and making the special. Colin was fine with all of it until we came in going to the library where we saw Gabriella was standing on a stool as she was being fitted in the dress she was having made for her. He looked up and saw his daughter. This was her second marriage and she didn’t think anyone would buy that she was a virgin, so white was out. Personally, I think it was her love of blue that decided the color of this dress. It was light blue and featured darker blue flowers on it. I don’t know cotton from silk except they look different. Fabrics were like colors to me, I know they’re different, but women seemed to know the difference and made up names to confuse the people with the Y chromosomes. Men. This dress was not lace, but the light blue on light blue had this lacy look the showed on the dress. The darker blue flowers were on the belt/sash thing and on her upper shoulder. It was floor length and she was getting it fitted. Her hair was down in those dark waves she had that was a signature for her. She turned in a panic and then smiled when she saw her father.

“For a minute, I was scared it might be Alex,” Gabriella said smiling.

Colin looked stunned at her and was trying to say something, but nothing came out.

Gabriella held out some of the dress. “Do you like it?”

Colin nodded and had to swallow. “You’re…just…beautiful, Gabby.”

I smiled at him and put my arm around him. “You done good, Daddy,” I said quietly to him. “You've got a lovely daughter who is a beautiful person. That’s what you did.”

Mom came over. “She’ll make a beautiful bride.” She kissed Colin on the cheek. “She’s who you’ll be walking down the aisle.”

Colin just nodded again, speechless.

 

Colin did have some construction done. Now there were four houses inside the walls of Wentworth. There was the main house, a single bedroom pool house slash guest house by the pool. And two other houses built on the property, but not too close to the main house. Those houses had two bedrooms each with their own baths for each bedroom. Five more bedrooms if the room was needed; or if the guest needed space away from us to feel comfortable. All was done in the months before the wedding almost as fast as Wentworth Manor had gone up. Director Chance and his wife were coming, as well as Alex’s great, great…whatever…niece Grace Chance who was a Congresswoman and her husband.

As always, the small wedding never happened with us. It was now a big wedding. We hired extra personnel to serve and secure and car after car arrived for the big day. Colin was…well…he was happy, but if I didn’t know better, I’d say he was nervous because I heard another grunt as he was getting dressed. Even our tuxedos were blue by Gabriella’s choice; dark blue, but blue.

“I can’t tie this!” Colin said holding out his light blue bow tie. “Could we get those…already tied ones that just clip on?”

I chuckled as I walked over. “Because Gabriella chose and wanted these ties,” I said simply. I pulled him to the bed and had him sit so I could tie his tie as I sat behind him. “I can only do this like I’m tying my own, this way I can,” I said and tied his tie. I smiled as I looked at what I’d done. Looking in his eyes I saw…something. “It will be fine, Colin. She’s happy.” I looked closer in his eyes. “Or is this something else?”

Colin nodded. “It’s something else.” He said pulling me beside him again gently. “I was thinking about Gabriella’s mother.”

I nodded. “Debra. You never really talk about her.”

Colin shook his head. “I know.” He admitted as he looked at me. “Taking the whole…vampire thing out of it; there is the fact that Debra married a gay man.”

I nodded. “But you told her about Josiah and everything. You were honest with her. And you were never unfaithful to Debra.”

Colin nodded. “Yes, to all that. Our marriage was arranged.” He grinned. “The whole blueblood thing, marrying a cousin three times removed just kept the blueblood line going for the Wentworths.” He shrugged. “I did what I was supposed to do.” He looked up. “I just have regrets.”

I nodded. “I’m sure.”

“She was to marry me.” He said simply. “We got along as friends, but…I never loved and desired her like she should have been.” He smiled at me. “I love you so much, Devon. We married and I have not been this happy before. I just wished…she could have known that kind of love. I know she loved me as a friend, but…” He shrugged.

I smiled. “I am happy with you, too. Is the regret that she didn’t know that kind of love, or that you have that now?”

Colin nodded and then shrugged. “Both, I guess. Why was I blessed to be able to?”

I turned him to look at me. “I’ve said this before to Amasis in Tel Aviv. He was feeling like he didn’t belong now in this world. What happened before in history we can’t change, Gabriella should have been an elderly woman when Alex was born; but here they are getting married. You and I shouldn’t have met at all, but we’re married today. I’m sorry you were bitten by Brett, but I can’t help but be glad he did. You and I wouldn’t be together or even know about each other if he didn’t. You married Debra. You were honest with her and told her things most husbands would never tell their wives and kept it a secret. You had a marriage that further helped shape you into the man I love; you created Gabriella because of marriage. Debra could have walked out, but didn’t. She is just as responsible as you are to get married, too. She could have said no, but didn’t. Things happen. We regret. That’s part of life. Don’t take the whole responsibility. You did not do all this on your own. You’re a special person, Colin. I love you. I like you and I want to spend eternity with you. Be regretful for Debra, but don’t blame yourself for what happened, but be glad it did. You do take responsibility a lot.”

Colin nodded with a chuckle. “I do, don’t I?”

“Who knows what waits for us,” I said. “Someone or something is in charge of all this. You lived to meet me. We married. Gabriella lived to meet Alex and is marrying him. You don’t know what’s happening with Debra. I’m sure that whomever or whatever in charge is taking good care of her. What happened shouldn’t have, but I don’t regret it. I got you.”

Colin gave a shrugging nod. “Sure.”

“Now, you have a daughter to walk down an aisle,” I said standing and holding out my hand. “I can at least walk you down the stairs. She is the bride, but I’ll just be looking at you. To me, you are the most beautiful there.”

Colin stood and brought me into an embrace and kissed me. “I love you, Devon.”

My fingers went into his hair. “I know,” I said kissing him again. “My wonderful husband.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love weddings ... always cry ... but I'm guessing there is going to be a little more excitement than they are expecting, but who?

 

You did mention the people who created the old Ones ... Maybe they eventually got turned as well ... It would be a nice twist for them to find one of the villages that were used with the Elixir and find that it is still in the water!

 

Really looking forward to see how this develops... George is right though they do noeed to have the ability close up to study an Old one.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I find it amusing that Mark always talks first and Stan has to almost interrupt him to say what he called about! Stan is less aggressive, but he doesn’t let Mark walk all over him. It’s clearly a pattern they’re very used to.  ;-)

Link to comment

To me I feel like Colin is acting just like any nervous father would when giving their child off to the person who they chose to spend the rest of eternity with. Colin fretting over his first marriage, not having the love he has now with Devon. Colin feels as if he didn't love Deborah the way he now loves Devon wasn't good for her because she was never able to have this kind of love. I like the comment made by Devon "History is past you can only go forward from this point." Anyway it was something like that and it's all true, Colin needs to show everyone else that there is more important things to worry about instead of the past. I can't wait to read about the wedding and whatever adventures this group gets into. Really enjoying the story, you have a great writing style. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yes, Eric, you do have a great writing style and even from a grouchy old troll's viewpoint, the number of grammatical errors you are making is decreasing. Someday and soon I believe the troll brigade will be able to retire. Totally a good show friend, keep up the good work,

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..