Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 5,934 Words
  • 3,848 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

His Royal Highness, Prince Vincent - 7. Going Back

Here it is! It's Sunday. More again on Wednesday. I will recheck later, after the movie I wanted to see is over. I waited years! With my new glasses, I will see it. We're still married, Daniel. I still love you.

Going Back

 

The new Dannebrog sounded and felt different. The engines were started and the tugboats withdrew. The other Dannebrog had engines, but also masts if they needed to use sails. This Dannebrog didn’t have masts. Wind or no wind this ship would get to its destination. The transoceanic passage was being pushed forward to get a ship that would get there faster and faster. I had seen designs and proposals for new ships, most of which were unproven to work even as a prototype.

Balloons had been around for century. Vincent and I rode one in Paris! Once. I teased Nakia about the elevator, but it was a risk we knew we were taking. Three men in a basket were going to be flying over the city! Vincent, me and the pilot. Nothing else. It was thrilling to take that risk. It was a proven technology. Bendt and Nakia had been with us and both tried to talk us out of taking that risk. Looking back on it, we put them in a tough spot. If, and God forbid, there was an accident and Vincent was killed, they might as well kill themselves. King Fredrik and Queen Maregete might have killed them. If I died, I might have gotten a “too bad.” At the time Queen Maregete just knew I was going to destroy Vincent’s rise to the throne. I caught a glimpse of the real queen in our last conversation before I went back to Wyoming. I wasn’t ready! She smiled at me and begged me to come back, telling me Vincent needed me. She knew! I mean, she knew about everything! King Fredrik wasn’t hiding Christian from her and she didn’t care. When Vincent told me what she had told him about her pregnancy with the Russian Ambassador, he hadn’t known at all before his marriage to Angelica. When Angelica announced her pregnancy in September, it was Queen Maregete that told Vincent about it and how supportive King Fredrik had been. She had been the one to encourage Vincent to come and bring me back! Put dynamite in my mouth and light the fuse, it blew my mind, too!

I also saw plans and designs for bigger balloons! One came from Germany where a man proposed several of these big balloons were encased in a long balloon to take many passengers and their luggage. Some for cargo. Looking at the plans, I felt uneasy about it. This was way bigger than a basket with three men. The metal framework had to be heavy. There were passenger cabins and dining facilities, a galley! Even with light metal used, it had to weigh a ton or more! Aerodynamics were different than ship building. Displacing water was key for keeping ships buoyant even though it weighed tons. Gas was needed to keep the weight in the air. Winds and storms would blow the big airships about and throw it off course. Yes, I know there were water currents and storms that could do that with ships on the water. Sink them! Nakia worried that the elevator could fall. It could. If the big airship went down, especially over an ocean, people would die! If one of the interior balloons failed, could the others compensate? At least slow the descent? I would leave that to those creating the airships. There were also designs for airships for war! I had a Nakia-like moment of fear as well.

This Dannebrog did have the Roman numeral two on the hull. The original Dannebrog did have a motorized pulse. The Dannebrog II had a smoother hum. It was like the hum of a train on metal rails and had a hypnotic effect. I toyed with the idea of something like that for the bedroom in a house. The sound could be added, but slight motion…how could I duplicate that?

I stood on the deck protected by a thick coat against the cold breeze on the Atlantic. I heard the footfalls I knew well and didn’t have to look to confirm Vincent was there.

“Aren’t you freezing?” Vincent asked. Apparently he was.

“Just a minute more,” I smiled. “Bear with me, okay?”

“Okay,” Vincent said.

I turned to look at Vincent, “Am I going to be in your child’s life?” I saw his eyes widen.

“I hadn’t thought about it,” Vincent replied in surprise. “Do you want to be? If you don’t, I would understand. If you do…”

Now, I was surprised, “Why wouldn’t I? Your son or daughter will be part of you.” I said logically. “The birth has nothing to do who the child will become. Guidance is needed.”

Vincent smiled as he nodded, “I guess we need to plan more.” He chuckled, “He or she will be mostly with Angelica at first.”

I chuckled, “Until men lactate, the mother is usually needed more because of that.” I tapped his chest over his left nipple.

“I don’t plan to do that anytime soon,” he grinned.

“I need to get to know Angelica,” I said. “If she allows me in the child’s life, she has to trust me. I assume you will be returning to Oslo to check on her. When is she due?”

Vincent shrugged, “Spring. The doctor said April, probably.” He grinned. “We suspected in August when she got sick every morning.”

I shook my head, “So, only four to six weeks is all it took.” I grinned, “Vikings are hearty, viral and sturdy men.”

“It was a job!” Vincent stated, but smiling, “You can’t tell me you wish it had taken longer. We worked! We did what the doctors and midwives said.”

“Of course, you did,” I grinned. “Women can get pregnant even if it is once when she had sex.” I shrugged, “I need to go to Oslo to see where King Olav wants me to set up. When we do that, I need to assure Angelica I have no problems with her.”

Vincent shook his head and smiled, “I still can’t believe you’re okay with this. I cheated on you.”

My eyes widened and I shook my head, “Whether or not I’m okay with this is irrelevant. It just is…and you didn’t cheat on me. You did when we got back together on Angelica! You made damned sure by not having the minister make you swear to God you would be faithful to her! You did that with her so she wouldn’t swear to be faithful to you.” I bounced, “That was classically you.” I smiled. “We have used discretion for years and will have continue to be. Now,” I began, “Do you want me in your child’s life?”

Vincent cocked his head, “You have brains and a strong grasp on what is right and wrong. I can’t imagine anyone better to past that along. Yes, I want my child to know you.”

We didn’t stay out much longer, but I did notice something in the water near the bow. Dolphins! They were having fun with the Dannebrog II as they raced with the ship. Yep, they were intelligent. There was no reason for this other than it was fun! That was proof to me. Having a creature do something just to have fun was very smart.

 

The journey to Copenhagen would take a while, but naval vessels used things they learned to help them make the trip shorter. There was an ocean current the flowed in the water up past the Southern United States and all the way to Great Britain! The first Dannebrog hosted sails to catch the flowing current of air that pretty much was just above the ocean current. The wind gave the Dannebrog a push and made it a little faster. I watched as the crew opened a large closed lid on the deck and a very large single cloth, caught the wind and began to pull the Dannebrog II.

The many words of wisdom from Wyoming were still there. Only if you’ve been really cold will you appreciate being warm again. You can feel the blood return to your feet and hands.

Bendt and Nakia were there, but not sailors. They had been on duty for weeks with no real break. Vincent had insisted they take the time for the voyage off. He even gave them a guest stateroom used when took guests who were passengers. We were on vessel for Denmark. If anyone attacked us, they could help defend us, but the crew could do it as well as Bendt and Nakia. Vincent and I didn’t see a lot of them for a week! Love was just great.

Vincent and I spent a lot of time in the stateroom we shared. The more I learned about people in this world, I wondered how did some relationships become taboo? Yes, I know the Bible said it was wicked. So, was lying, stealing, gluttony and murder. People did those things anyway. Why was it just as wrong to kill a man as love them? They were both crimes that led to punishment that could mean death! My Indian understanding told me it wasn’t wrong. Human Beings often didn’t care about the gender. Many of my Indian friends and relatives did have one or two relationships that were the same gender. I knew some of hired-hands had them too when the urge got too strong. Sex was simply a part of life. I knew that growing up on the ranch. I’d seen many calves and foals born. Almost every animal on Earth has sex. I remember feeling sorry learning there were some that reproduced asexually. No one to keep them company. Nothing and no one should be alone. It felt very good! It could bring two human beings so close. Love. It could also be used to humiliate and demoralize people. Control. In the case of Vincent and I, there was curiosity with interest in one another. Love just grew. For me and Vincent. He was considering throwing the crown away and becoming a regular guy. He loved me that much. My love for Vincent would not let him do that. Our love would survive. I couldn’t believe how much I loved Vincent, but I liked him as my best friend, too. We both enjoyed our time together.

By day eight we saw the edge of Ireland. We went up and over Scotland. The English Channel was no shortcut because of the reduction of speed needed. The other Dannebrog took fourteen to fifteen days to cover the distance. The old sailing ships took more than two months! Even Vincent’s and my friendship would have suffered after that long together. It was late when we arrived at the port for Copenhagen. Again, we had to go over Denmark’s landmass that was connected to Germany. Denmark had many islands. Copenhagen was on an island. Some of Denmark was on the southern tip of Sweden. Many battles were fought over which country controlled who. Sweden did, Norway did and Denmark did. A bunch of Viking hotheads is what it was. Every one of them!

Once through the North Sea Copenhagen was on the island between the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. Copenhagen was built there because of that strategic location. Anyone bringing a ship to Finland or any of the European countries that bordered the Baltic Sea had to go by Denmark.

The Captain of the Dannebrog II was more than a capable seaman. I would trust him to steer us anywhere, except that tiny stretch near Helsingborg. Neither did Denmark. The tugboats again guided us through.

Electricity and lights added magic to everything. Understand, I am an American Cowboy and proud of that. I also felt the swell at seeing Copenhagen. I can feel at home in Wyoming, Copenhagen and London!

It was late, but we were told King Fredrik and Queen Maregete heard the Dannebrog was sighted a while ago and waited up.

There were four palaces, remember? The Amalienborg Palace was where the royal family lived. When Vincent returned from Wentworth Academy he had been given a nice room in the Christiansborg Palace. It was right next door. The royal family had all their banquets and parties in the Christiansborg. I didn’t mind that, it always smelled good the day a banquet or party happened. But I wanted to go home. The great house I was given to use that was an aunt? In truth, I had been given the house to use before I was requested to be Ambassador. Technically, it was my house to use. It was a gift from King Fredrik. Really from Vincent, but the king had to approve.

Protocol and formality had been thrown out in private. Even with some still around, King Fredrik didn’t always follow it. The last time I spoke with Queen Maregete she had, too. I’d let her decide how it would go. You can put your hand out only so many times, if the horse bites you every time you learn to be cautious. I’m not calling the queen a horse, but you know what I mean. When we entered, the queen rushed to her son and hugged him tightly. That was not protocol. She kissed cheek and then looked at him. “I missed you, son!”

They were dressed…to be at home! The king had on a shirt and pants. No tie. The queen had a nice dress on, but not fancy and light blue. King Fredrik was smiling grandly as his queen greeted Vincent. Then he hugged Vincent, too. “You’re home.”

I couldn’t help it. This was how a family really acted. The king loved another person. So did the queen. But they loved their children.

“Still no boots?” The amused voice said behind me.

Turning around, I saw a young lady in her teens. Also, in a simple dress of a coral color, but she was still an unmarried girl and she had on a shorter dress that rose above her ankles, but below her knees. Dark brown hair and she was stunning! My eyes grew as I couldn’t believe it. “Annabelle!?”

She smiled and nodded, “And no hat either.” She pointed at my head.

“My god,” I said taking her hand and kissing the back of it. She was a princess! “You’ve…grown up!”

She too had been sent away to a boarding school in Switzerland. I hadn’t seen her in ten years! She would come back occasionally, but almost never when we were here. She would now be sixteen, soon seventeen. She would soon be married off, just like Vincent was. Hell, Queen Mary of Scotland was engaged to the Crown Prince of France! She was sent to live with the Crown Prince at five. He was also a child. She was crowned Queen as six days old. Who knew who they planned for Annabelle.

“What a pretty young lady!” I said, “And as far as the boots and hat goes, as I am the Ambassador of Denmark, you will see them often. I promise.”

King Fredrik let his son go and came to me, “Thank you for coming back.” He hugged me, too.

The queen walked over, but stopped. “I was very cruel to you. There will probably be hard feelings. But you know why, don’t you?”

“I do,” I smiled. “You were scared I’d keep him from his duty. I do understand, Your Majesty.”

She looked a little embarrassed, “I apologize.” Then she looked slightly annoyed, “And I distinctly remember telling you it was Maregete.”

I chuckled and nodded, “Sorry, it was a force of habit.”

Then she hugged me! “Welcome back.”

This new queen would take getting used to. And never would I have expected acceptance! Okay, the king was first when Vincent confronted his father with the knowledge of his male friend. The queen had someone she loved. Did she still? That Russian Ambassador was raising their child. I didn’t know if she saw the child or was anything. That would be tough, far tougher than Vincent’s and my relationship. Maybe because this was life in a palace, it was easier to accept.

“You’re probably tired,” the queen said running her fingers over Vincent’s face.

Vincent chuckled, “We didn’t row across the Atlantic.”

I took my father’s watch out and opened it, “I remembered to reset this.” It was two-thirty-eight in the morning. “They may need to rest.”

“My son and his trusted friend came home,” the king said grandly. “We’re too excited to rest.”

“Oh, that’s beautiful!” Annabelle looked at the watch and crooned and then listened to the light tingling of the music, “I know that song! That’s Vivaldi!”

I smiled at her, “That’s right! Etude Op. 3 number 10.”

She practically rolled her eyes, “We went every month to a concert, opera or art museum. That was part of my cultural training.”

I nodded, “Vincent and I went to a few concerts in London. I thought they were very good.” I leaned toward her, “I prefer Mozart and Wagner. (Pronounced Vagnre.)”

Annabelle nodded, “I like Mozart, too, but Wagner? His stuff is so…” she thought, “dark.”

“And intensely powerful!” I said happily. “His operas I went to and loved them.” I showed her the watch. “I keep my father with me every day. This was passed to me. I will never forget him.”

“I won’t let you forget,” Vincent said quietly. “He was a very good man.”

King Fredrik smiled, “I wished we’d known him.” He smiled at us. “We were told you were coming when you passed the island of Anholt. Your house never closed, but they went in to freshen it up. The trunks went there.” He said to me, but he looked Vincent telling his trunks had gone there, too. Why not? My parents accepted Vincent and me.

“You’ll be here for the Christmas Party!” Queen Maregete said happily.

Vincent nodded, “We have time. David wanted to see Angelica.”

“I would like to be in their child’s life,” I explained. “If she’ll let me. I won’t be a parent, but I can be a friend to the child.”

The king and queen smiled, but Queen Maregete said, “I think that would be lovely.”

I didn’t want to say more, I didn’t know what Annabelle knew.

“I know,” Annabelle said. “About Dad, Mom and Vincent. They waited until I was old enough and now I do.”

“That’s something you need to consider,” Queen Maregete said. “It’s great you want to be in the child’s life, but we were worried that Annabelle would say something without meaning to.”

“They told me a couple of years ago,” Annabelle smiled. “But I knew about Dad when I ten.”

“You did?” Vincent asked surprised.

Annabelle nodded, “They never share the same bedroom and they never really kiss. My friends at school have parents and most of them sleep in the same room. There are parents that sleep around or even divorce, but they entertain in the bedroom.” She shrugged. “I’ve only seen Mr. Christian go in and out of Dad’s room when Dad’s home.” She pointed at Vincent, “And you were always with David. You didn’t prowl around and never was there an indiscretion with any girl. You never talked about any girls. You weren’t interested in any of them.” She pointed at me, “And neither are you.” She smiled again, “When Mom told me about her two months of trips a year that was shocking. She would go on these one-month trips. To the South of France…for her health. I figured it was a spa…they’re royalty, but Human.”

“It doesn’t bother you?” Vincent asked her. “It did me!”

Annabelle shrugged a nod, “The first week, a little. Dad was born with a job, so was Vincent. Mom married Dad and got a job. Whomever I marry, I will have a job.”

“Angelica won’t be living in Oslo,” I said. “Will she?”

King Fredrik shook his head, “No. She will be there until the baby is born, but she will live here often to be seen and show the baby. Vincent and Angelica will be seen going to local events in Denmark and Norway. We are taught to be reclusive with our private lives, but flaunt our public lives with the people. They will go to those concerts and operas.”

I knew that. “I will need to set up a consulate here. I can use the house…”

“No,” King Fredrik said quickly. “I mean, you can if you want to, but the Augustenborg Palace just across the square houses the Government offices like the Ministry of Defense, Ministry of Foreign Affairs…”

I smiled, “Well, the United States will be sending a staff and military service members to protect the Consulate.” I shrugged, “And me. I don’t want anybody to feel uncomfortable.”

“Why would anybody feel that?” King Fredrik asked. “There are quite a few embassies in Copenhagen, some are large and some merely an office.” He shrugged. “When King Olav and I agreed to make you Ambassador we knew you would probably be in both countries. In Oslo you will be housed at the palace in one or two rooms. The main United States’ Embassy for Scandinavia would be in Copenhagen. When Finland and Sweden decide to have you as the American Ambassador, you will again operate with just an office or two.”

“With the embassy in Copenhagen, it will make the grounds American soil,” I said. “It’s a very big house! A lot of it goes unused. It would be a crime not to utilize that.”

Queen Maregete chuckled, “I’m sure his Aunt Benedikte wouldn’t mind.”

Vincent laughed, “You can’t take the house with you when you aren’t Ambassador.” He got serious and pointed a finger at me, “But that’s decades away.” He lifted my right hand and tapped the Ring of Trust. “This was put on you for life. Don’t ever take this off.”

I guess Vincent and I were married. I smiled and nodded. I married the whole Danish Royal Family!!

“Go home and rest!” King Fredrik ordered and literally shooed us away with his hands. “We can discuss more before dinner with the family tomorrow.”

I bowed and did as the King ordered. I was beginning to really love that big Viking!

 

We could have walked, but were told we would go by carriage. Security. There were those in Copenhagen who had a problem with the Royal Family because of politics, jealousy or even obsession. There were also those who didn’t like Americans. Why? Misunderstandings and misconceptions, normally.

The house was a sight for sore eyes. I had the privilege of living in two palaces and been invited into others. I lived in Windsor Castle in England for years. When in Denmark I lived in Christiansborg Palace. The house that had been built for Aunt Benedikte, though not “classified” as a palace or castle. It did for me! If it quacks and waddles, it’s a duck. Poor self-esteem was not an attribute I would put to any Danish Royalty.

Our feet echoed on the marble at the entrance. No ordinary floor, ceiling and walls. No. Aunt Benedikte was a king’s daughter, then a king’s sister and then a king’s Aunt! The foyer, and it was pronounced “for yea”, went up two floors! Two staircases rose from the marble and curved up to a second floor. Nothing, and I mean nothing was plain and didn’t have molding. Where a crystal chandelier hung molding surrounded it on an arched ceiling. There was art up there, too. Paintings such as landscapes to people. One had Valkyries with a bare-chested man who was covered by a swirling red cloth over his crotch. The paintings were surrounded by gold moldings. There were tall arched doorways that we also bordered by molding. There was elegant molding on the walls! There were paintings placed on the walls that said the wall was made for the paintings. The molding framed the framed pictures perfectly! The paintings were mostly portraits of various kings, queens and royalty, all related to Vincent. Did Vincent know them all? I doubt King Fredrik knew unless there would be a test to see if he knew. He’d study for the test beforehand. It was a palace. I could keep going, but… I will say, coming in the brightly lit foyer I felt at home.

We were greeted by two staff who welcomed me back home. They knew there were rules I demanded they follow. There main one was to respect my privacy. If I was alone or with someone, no one was to come in unless I said so. Even if the house was on fire you didn’t just come in. When the United States Military got here, that meant no one was to be on the second floor. Period. To say I wasn’t impressed by all this would be a lie and you know it. It was…like living in a museum! This bedroom wasn’t the grandest bedroom. Here there was again the chandelier surround by the ceiling molding but it was a wide circle. The wall was white, but within the molding was a dark red. It was a smaller room than the others to prevent heating unused space. Paintings were hanging and it was elegant. I was told Aunt Benedikte married a wealthy Count. Most of this house was just to show off. There was still enough of Shoshone in me that didn’t need or want all this. The Pohogwe did finally realize you could and should own land. Having a piece of paper that proved you owned land came in handy when squatters came. Only a few and never that long. The Pohogwe didn’t really have many possessions. Theft in the tribe was practically unknown! I was going to have to empty the trunks and put things around the room that said “me.” Later. It had been a long day. Vincent said we hadn’t rowed across the Atlantic, but suddenly, I felt I had!

Falling back on the bed, it felt so good. The chuckle came out without me realizing it.

Vincent was removing his shirt and turned with his left eyebrow raised, “Can I be let in on the joke? Or is this a private thing?”

I laughed and rolled over, “Is there much we don’t share?”

Vincent grinned, “No.”

“It’s not really a joke,” I shrugged. “There are books at were not necessarily text books or novels. There was a collection of stories that were Fairy Tales. It was originally in Danish, but I didn’t speak or read Danish yet. It was a story about a prince who was looking for a wife. A young woman came to the door, soaking wet from heavy rain looking for shelter. He gave her a test. He placed a single pea under the mattress and stack a bunch more on top.” I saw Vincent’s eyes widen. “When he asked her how she slept, she said she tossed and turned and never got comfortable.”

“Because of the pea?” Vincent asked.

“Yes!” I sat up, “Haven’t you heard of Hans Christian Andersen? He’s a fellow Dane!”

Vincent nodded with a smile, “Yes, I just never heard that one.” He shrugged a nod, “I read the Little Mermaid and the Steadfast Tin Soldier…” he grinned, “Oh, and the Emperor’s New Clothes.”

I got up and went to him, “I think that princess would be very comfortable here.” I shrugged. “I got soft. I could sleep on the ground! Now you Vikings…”

“I appreciate a comfortable bed,” Vincent smiled.

We were almost nose to nose now. He had done all his growing by the age of eighteen. Mine was slower with the late spurt in my early twenties. Kissing him was just natural now. Passion just came.

We were married. We’d gotten soft and old too because when our heads hit the pillows, in minutes we were fast asleep!

 

The one drawback about falling asleep that fast and hard, your body’s clock wasn’t reset! I woke up nearly the time I usually did. I was groggy.

“Do we get up?” Vincent asked, again muffled as he lay on his

Another reason I chose this room was it had one window. With the heavy curtains pulled shut, you couldn’t see the sky or any sunlight. Even around the edges. The room was dark.

“We could,” I said simply.

“What time is it?” Vincent asked.

“I don’t know and I don’t care,” I could look at the watch, but I needed light to see what the time was. I wasn’t ready for that.

I knew what would happen. My need to know would force me up. Blowing an exasperated breath, I grabbed Dad’s watch from the bedside table and stumbled to the curtain. I was momentarily blinded from the morning sun. Shielding my eyes, I squinted and saw it was just before nine in the morning. I never do this. I came back to bed.

“We went to bed about three in the morning?” I asked. “We slept almost six hours.”

“So why does it seem so much earlier?” Vincent asked with his voice still muffled.

“Because it is,” I chuckled. “We traveled east and the sun goes west.” I began. “Just a little while ago we had breakfast when people here had dinner. The almost each day the day got shorter and morning was earlier. Our bodies need to adjust.”

“Oooh,” Vincent groaned and put his head below the pillow. “Its too early to think.”

“Imagine a hundred years when we travel even faster,” I grinned. “We could lose an entire day!”

“Why!?”

“It’s logical,” I pulled the pillow up just to see his eyes. “Applied logic. Take crossing the Atlantic; that used to take eight to ten weeks to get from over here to over there! Now, it takes eight to ten days! Next will be eight to ten hours, then minutes. Think of the body’s adjustment then!”

“How are we going to do that!?” Vincent blurted.

“I don’t know, we haven’t invented or developed the technology yet,” I smiled at him. “You know it will happen.”

 

It was a normal matter of discretion, but we always made the bed. Even if it was just me, I made the bed. You did in Mom’s house! My mother said what I bet your mother said to you, she wasn’t the maid! The training I had been instilled with stuck with me even when there were maids. We would cover our tracks as a matter of course. Palace staff knew to be silent about odd things they saw the king, queen and their children do. That included this house. It would literally be a crime if they talked at all about it. Spreading rumors was just what people did. Gossip. Men were just as bad as women.

We showered and dressed to go and get something to eat. Passing a staff member in the corridor, they would bow or curtsy briefly…once. After that they were instructed to keep working. I did a lot of things for myself, but the people need jobs. Cleaning, sweeping, using a mop was someone’s job. If I did, that would create less demand and someone would be out of work! In this big house, a few was needed to keep it clean.

It would be Christmas in a little more than a week. I didn’t know a single country in Europe that wasn’t celebrating it. Decorations were up in homes, businesses and the streets. Christmas, or what they refer to as Jul, is pretty common in Europe and Scandinavia, with only a few differences. Such as Santa Lucia. She doesn’t bring presents. She brings light! On December the 13th, she comes dressed in a white followed by other girls in white. Santa Lucia wears a crown of lit candles. This part of the world is often dark in Winter, she brings light with her. Julemanden, Father Christmas comes on the 24th. His name literally means “Christmas Man” in Danish. The is a lot to eat, but especially Risalamande. A rich rice pudding covered in cherry sauce. If you find a whole almond gets a prize!

There, of course, was the birth of the Son of God! My father was raised going to church and when we hired the many workers for the ranch, they knew what Christmas was about. The Pohogwe believed in many spirits and respected the spirit brought by the white men. Denmark was prominently Lutheran. It was Advent when it really began. They prepared for the birth of the Son of God and his second return. Did that mean I didn’t believe? Hell, no! I believe life is a miracle. I was not sure we know enough to say how it came about or who was responsible. There are ugly things in the world, but there is great beauty, too. My being raised on the ranch, I saw beauty in the sunrise, sunny days and even snowy days! The miracle of birth. The birth of a calf or a foal were beautiful. A Human baby’s smile! Someone or something did all this. Charles Darwin, an Englishman who went to Cambridge and several other colleges and universities saw a common thread in life. He was a naturalist. He had a theory that upset many people! Life changes with eons of time. It evolved. We evolved. People got upset saying we didn’t evolve from monkeys? They are right, we didn’t. We evolved from Primates. We are Primates. He showed the connection with other primates. Everything evolved; from one celled life to plants and animals. It made sense. There needed to be more research and proof. With those who argued I asked, “so, you know how God did it? How do you know this isn’t the way He really did it?” By the way, the Earth is round. People didn’t believe that either for a long time. Some people still think it’s flat.

“What do you say we go to Oslo?” Vincent asked.

“When?” I asked.

“We need to be back by the 23rd.” Vincent said smiling. “Its only about three hundred and fifty miles. It would take a day by water, but we could stay a couple of days…” He shrugged a nod, “You’re probably tired of traveling, but…”

“Tomorrow?” I asked and smiled.

“Sure,” Vincent nodded.

“Great!” Really, I thought it was great. I needed to get to know Norway, King Olav and mostly get to know Angelica. “What does King Olav know about us?”

He scratched an ear, “Well, he knows there is a strong tie with you and me, but…” he chuckled. “Like most Royals, he knows better than to ask questions. It’s an unspoken rule.”

“And with Cousin Vickie?” I asked.

He shook his head, “No, she was the odd one. She really loved Albert. They were married twenty years.” He smiled, “I’ll make arrangements to go tomorrow.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 17
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

With the advent of DNA testing, I believe the perception of lineage is being redefined to show the very nature of the human animal. The old precepts fail with the evidence of paternity differences within the same houses, and then those in evidence of broken maternity lines also; as channelings were not uncommon to mask human infertility among political, economic, and royalty lines of inheritance.

While your story addresses love vs political pressures, the wielding of power has never been without greed. Absolute Power, Corrupts Absolutely! Your storyline is a more thought provoking and more human approach to an ageless challenge of reigning power and lineages.

Thanks for developing this historical fiction.

Link to comment

Loving your story as per usual, I guess you will never let me down. I am in love with the Crowned Prince, but the Cowboy Prince of America I think is the one that won my heart, so far anyway. I think next time you get them on the boat, sign me on... what with the lockdown over here I could do with a nice long break. Thank you.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Philippe said:

With the advent of DNA testing, I believe the perception of lineage is being redefined to show the very nature of the human animal. The old precepts fail with the evidence of paternity differences within the same houses, and then those in evidence of broken maternity lines also; as channelings were not uncommon to mask human infertility among political, economic, and royalty lines of inheritance.

While your story addresses love vs political pressures, the wielding of power has never been without greed. Absolute Power, Corrupts Absolutely! Your storyline is a more thought provoking and more human approach to an ageless challenge of reigning power and lineages.

Thanks for developing this historical fiction.

The trick has been to be careful not to mention things that hadn't been invented or discovered yet. I wrote about a time where DNA is known to exist, but not how or what. This was a time when technology and science were about to EXPLODE!! I love this period.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Kev said:

Loving your story as per usual, I guess you will never let me down. I am in love with the Crowned Prince, but the Cowboy Prince of America I think is the one that won my heart, so far anyway. I think next time you get them on the boat, sign me on... what with the lockdown over here I could do with a nice long break. Thank you.

One more time, "That's why I write!" See the comment above this one. And its 5:30am!! Why are you up? Yea, yea...across the pond it's later. I know. Well, my kawffee waiting and Norway awaits. (Remember? Kawffee is New York's pronunciation for coffee.) Later!! :wub:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..