Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 7,068 Words
  • 5,914 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

His Royal Highness, Prince Vincent - 2. Wentworth Academy and Queen Victoria

My writing is more of someone speaking directly to you. It is casual and more of a conversational English. Forgive any misspellings. I am human.

Then it was time Vincent went back home to Denmark. Taking me with him. Seeing Copenhagen was very nice, then I saw the palace. Or should I say, palaces? There were four, all facing a circular courtyard. All arranged in that circle. Arriving by coach, we entered the one that the royal family lived in. We were escorted into the room preferred by the family. And there I met the King and Queen of Denmark. Vincent’s father, Fredrick was a nice man. Large, like my father, only blonde and in his forties. That explained Vincent’s size. Maregete, his mother was dark-haired like Vincent. Very pretty, but somewhat aloof. I guess she needed to get to know me. And his little sister, Annabelle. Maregete was the cousin of Queen Victoria, though I learned it was a couple of generations back. She didn’t quite take the liking of me others had.

After the introductions were done. Maregete turned to her husband.

“Jeg stadig sige, en barbar fra Amerika ikke er den rigtige ven for vores søn.” She said thinking I wouldn’t know what she said.

Now, my Danish wasn’t perfect, but I got she thought I was a barbarian.

“Undskyld mig, deres Majestæt, men jeg er ikke helt uden instruktion og jeg blev undervist manerer.” I said, telling her I wasn’t totally a barbarian and I had been taught manners. That seemed to startle her. She had not anticipated I would speak Danish at all.

“I told you, Mother.” Vincent grinned a little meanly. “He’s very smart. He learned that in a few months.”

His father chuckled. “You must understand, Mr. Richards. The Queen is always looking out for our son.”

I nodded. “I understand.”

“So, how many languages do you speak?” His mother asked.

I thought. “Well, English of course. German, French, I’m still learning Danish and Russian. We have an Italian at school, I’m learning that and Spanish. Four or five. Including Shoshone.”

“I’m not familiar with Shoshone.” His father said.

“It’s the Indian tribe my grandmother is from,” I explained.

The little girl came over. “Is it true? Vincent said you are a cowboy.”

She was a pretty little girl with long dark brown hair. I nodded. “I am.” Though I was tired of saying so.

The king snickered. “Well, your trunks were taken to the Christiansborg castle. As promised, you have a place of your own now.”

Vincent grinned. “Thank you, Father.”

The king nodded. “Dinner and gatherings will still be the same.”

Vincent nodded. “Understood.”

The other castles were often used, but not lived in until a neighboring king or queen came to town or relatives, which was the same thing. The one we were given was where all the dinners and banquets were served. Vincent led me through the corridors and into a large bedroom.

“You royals don’t do anything small, do you?” I gazed at the large room.

Vincent shrugged. “I suppose not.” Then he turned. “Listen, David. I don’t know what you expect. I have obligations. Duties.”

I nodded. “Okay.”

“I mean, in the future.” He went on. “Like marrying and producing an heir.”

I nodded. “I know that.”

He sighed. “Do you?” He ran a hand through his hair. “I wasn’t sure I did. Until I came home.” He looked sadly at me. “Whether I love you or not, I will have to marry and produce an heir.”

“And this is going to happen when?”

Vincent shook his head. “Not for a while, I’ve got school to finish and college…”

I nodded. “So, we’ve got six to eight years.” Then grinned. “And unless you have a crystal ball or a clairvoyant on staff. We may not be alive. So…” I said as I backed him toward the bed.

He was smiling now. “I just don’t want to deceive you.”

Pushing him back on the bed. “I came into this with my eyes wide open,” I said unfastening his pants. “I knew what the future had for you. So, for now, let’s just enjoy each other.” I said kissing him to which he responded quickly.

We hadn’t gotten to some of the things we learned about in Paris sexually. Not yet. But we did include some of the oral things. Vincent was very sensitive. Again, we had to be careful with the outside world. We spent every night with each other, making sure two separate beds were messed up. But we had a very good time that year. Then back to school come January.

Vincent was an athlete, as I said earlier. He was on the rowing team. And we hadn’t heard the last from Frank Dupont. We were facing another school in rowing. That was when I saw one of Frank’s friends offering water to the guys, but I noticed he came to Frank before giving Vincent any water. That was when I noticed Frank empty a bottle of something in the water that was offered to Vincent. I was far enough away that I couldn’t stop Vincent from taking the water and drinking before I got there.

I grabbed Mike, Frank’s friend, by the arm. “What did Frank put in the water?” I demanded.

Mike looked surprised. “What? Nothing.”

I grabbed Vincent’s arm. “Frank poured something from a bottle in the water,” I told Vincent. Then back to Mike. “What was it?”

Mike was now pale. “I don’t know. It was supposed to be a joke.”

I nodded growing angrier. “A joke to do what?”

Mike looked a little frightened. “Make him have to go to the bathroom.”

I had a feeling what it was. I nodded. “And how much water was in the bucket? You passed out a lot before Vincent.”

“Not much.” Mike shrugged.

Vincent was looking a little uncomfortable and I heard Vincent’s stomach make a sound. “What was it?”

I shook my head. “It looked like the stuff we give our horses and cattle back in Wyoming. You didn’t smell or taste anything?”

Vincent shook his head, but you could tell he was starting to feel whatever it was taking effect.

“It’s odorless and tasteless. Looks and tastes like water.” I grabbed Mike by the shirt. “Too much of that can kill Vincent.” I grabbed Vincent. “We need to get back inside, now!”

Now Vincent was looking like he was cramping. “We better.”

Mr. Murdock, the team coach was walking over. “The race is about to begin, where’s Vincent going?”

I looked back at Mike. “You had better tell Mr. Murdock the truth about this joke. Or be prepared to tell Queen Victoria why you and Frank planned an assault on her cousin and the future King of Denmark. And get the doctor up to the men’s lavatory yesterday!” I shouted as I rushed Vincent onward.

Mike was now looking quite upset. He was in deep trouble and he knew it. “I’m not going to make it,” Vincent said through gritted teeth.

I hurried him along and as soon as we got to the men’s bathroom, he was already pulling his pants down and barely got to the toilet when it all hell broke loose. He ended up flushing about five times but the cramps came and he couldn’t stop. Then he had nothing else to purge and all that happened now were sharp pains and cramping. I gave him as much privacy as I could but never left his side. I ran to the closet and got hand clothes and held them underwater and brought them back to wipe his sweating brow.

“I guess there’s no doubt that you love me,” Vincent said trying to laugh, but he was so wracked with cramps it came out broken. “To stick by me…now.”

I chuckled trying to keep a little humor Vincent had wanted. “You have smelled better.” I nodded, kissing the top of his sweaty head. “The question has been answered though.”

His eyebrows rose. “What question?”

“Royal shit does stink,” I said with a smile.

He wanted to laugh but groaned instead as another cramp hit and all he could let out was a groan.

The doctor came in to assess the problem, gave him some medication to ease the cramps.

Mr. Stockton, the school’s headmaster came in. “What happened?”

Mr. Murdock explained what Mike had told him. Mr. Stockton was now white in shock. “This can be proven?”

I rose from next to Vincent. “I think Vincent’s current condition is proof enough. I am a brash American rancher, Mr. Stockton, but I know what we give to the horses and steer when they are constipated. It was a horse laxative. Equine.”

The doctor looked at Mr. Stockton. “He is correct and whoever orchestrated this….joke apparently didn’t realize the size of the animal and man is very different and gave the poor boy too much.”

I’ve never seen Mr. Stockton so angry. The man was literally shaking and turning red. “Get Frank Dupont and whoever else was in on this, in my office. Now!” He demanded. “Is Vincent going to be okay?”

The doctor sighed. “He should be if I can stop the cramping. If Mr. Richards hadn’t seen what they put in the water…”

Mr. Stockton moaned. “The Queen’s going to have my head.” Then he looked at the doctor. “Is there any more we need to do? Should we send him to the hospital?”

The doctor shook his head. “The medicine I gave him seems to be working. The cramps seem to be lessening. No, no hospital. But he will need bed rest. He may not be able to eat anything for a few hours, or even days.”

“Has anyone located Mr. Dupont?” Mr. Stockton asked angrily to Mr. Murdock and the assistant coach who had come in during this discussion.

“Not yet.” Mr. Murdock said. “We do have Mr. Barker.”

“I want to see him.” Mr. Stockton said firmly and walked out. “In my office!”

The medicine was working and the cramps did let up. Then the doctor and Mr. Murdock were going to help him up when Vincent jerked his arm away. “Not you, please. I trust David.”

I helped him back to our room and out of his clothes and into bed. He was very weak. I lay beside him a while. Then a knock caused me to answer the door.

It was Mr. Stockton. “I’ve let the palace know what has happened. I’ve also spoken with Mike Barker. He told me what Frank Dupont had planned. It was a dirty trick.”

I nodded. “A dirty trick that could have been a deadly trick. They poisoned Vincent.”

Mr. Stockton nodded. “Yes. We haven’t found Frank Dupont yet.”

“He’ll turn up eventually,” I said. “Or be on the run forever.”

But Frank eluded everyone for several days. But the next day a royal carriage arrived and Queen Victoria got out of the carriage. Now Mr. Stockton was beside himself in near terror. The Queen came in and went to Mr. Stockton’s office where Mr. Stockton stood and bowed to the woman.

“It’s wonderful to see you, Your Majesty, even under such tragic circumstance.” Mr. Stockton said nervously.

The Queen nodded and wasted no time. “Is my cousin better?”

Mr. Stockton nodded. “I am told he does well, Your Majesty.”

“Is Mr. Richards in class?” She asked.

Mr. Stockton shook his head. “I don’t believe so. Vincent will only allow David egress and do anything for him. Then again, Mr. Richards insists he is the only one to do that.”

“I would speak with him.” The Queen said and it wasn’t something she would consider wouldn’t be done.

That was when a fellow student came rushing on our door. “The Queen is here. She wants to see you, David.”

I nodded rising from a chair near Vincent where I had been reading a book. “Sure,” I said putting the book down. I patted Vincent on the arm who just nodded. “Be right back.”

I entered Mr. Stockton’s office and turned to the Queen. “Your Majesty.” I bowed.

She waved her hand. “Yes, yes. Is Vincent alright?”

“He is,” I answered. “He still can’t eat more than soup and some bread. But he’s recovering.”

She nodded and stood. “I will see him.” She said walking out the door. “Which way to your room?”

For such a tiny woman, she just had power coming out of her shadow! Once there she sat by Vincent in the very chair I had used to read in.

“Vincent, I will give you two choices.” She began as she sat. “You can go back to Copenhagen, or move to the Castle at Windsor. Your choice.”

Vincent looked annoyed. “Frank is an idiot.”

She nodded. “Nonetheless, those are the choices. What’ll it be?”

“David moves with me,” Vincent said.

The Queen nodded. “Fine. A young man your age needs friends his age. Arrangements have begun. I will be at the Osborne House. Windsor is close enough to the school to not be an inconvenience. A guard will accompany you to, during and from school. No exceptions!”

Vincent nodded with a sigh. “Understood.”

What she didn’t see was me, going through my trunks. So, when I walked up to her, she glanced over. Then laughed. A queenly laugh, but a laugh nonetheless! “You are a man of your word.”

I shrugged. “Well, you wanted to see me in my boots and spurs. I’m afraid my chaps are at home.”

She nodded with a chuckle. Then rose. “I will see you when you arrive.” And she left.

That day, there were men coming and going from our room. Vincent got up for a while and sat in a nearby chair.

“David,” Vincent said softly, he was still very weak. Men were out of the room at the moment. “I want to give you something.”

I stopped packing my trunks. “Oh?”

Vincent nodded and brought out a small box. “I was going to give it to you, but under the circumstances, now is the best time.” He gave the box to me.

Opening the box, I saw a ring. It was a signet ring for the House of Henrik. I looked at Vincent puzzled.

“It’s a Ring of Trust,” Vincent said. “Meaning I trust you completely and gives you access to me at all times. Even my father and mother. You will be free to come and go as you please. More important, you can speak for me when necessary. At least in Copenhagen. It will work here in London, but it absolutely will work in Denmark. You’re my best and dearest friend. I can think of no other I would give it to. I do trust you.”

I sat down upon hearing this. “You trust me that much?”

“I love you. Of course, I trust you.” Vincent grinned. “I think under the circumstances, you should know that.” He chuckled. “Just show the ring to any guard or official and it’s done.”

I took the ring out. “What finger?”

He shrugged. “Whichever it fits.”

I nodded and put it on my right forefinger. It fit.

“My father gave two in his life. Both friends he had in the past. My grandfather gave one. And I’m giving one.” Vincent said.

“I will never let you down.”

“And I pray I don’t let you down,” Vincent said seriously. “It’s yours for life.”

 

The school was anxious to know what was going on, but being the typical royal, Vincent said nothing about it. Who was I to say anything? We rode to Windsor Castle. There we met Bert. He was officially running the castle. The workings, cleaning and overseeing everything that happened.

“I am Mr. Davenport. I will be overseeing your stay here at Windsor Castle.” The man bowed slightly. “I will assure you are awake at the proper times to get to school, and plan all meals, housekeeping. Should I know of anything you cannot, or will not eat?”

I shrugged. “I’m good.”

Vincent shook his head. “None that I know of.”

Bert nodded. “Very good. I will escort you to the suite of rooms for your stay.” He led the way.

Our rooms were smaller than Christianborg, then again, it was a three room suite. A bedroom for Vincent, a bedroom for me and an adjoining living area for us to share all with fireplaces. Four if you included the bathroom. The English didn’t waste heat in Winter.

“On the palace grounds, you are free to go as you please. If you go off the grounds, you must be escorted by guards.” Bert informed. “Dinner is at 7 pm. Boys often need their privacy, as will be the case. A knock will always be first before we enter when you are in residence.” And with that, he left.

Vincent looked at me. “Sorry about this.”

I looked surprised. “Why? I’m living in a castle. Life could be much, much worse.”

Vincent nodded with a chuckle.

Dinner was very good. It had to be. We were in a palace. We dined alone. I was good with that. It was weird that there were people in the background everywhere. There seemed to be dozens at doors, in the dining room. It would take a while for me to see beyond them. That put a stopper in our free conversations.

It was a few days later when we were summoned to come before the Queen. Vincent and I went as called. Entering the area where Queen Victoria often held office for people, we saw Frank Dupont. He looked a little meeker than I had ever seen him.

“David.” Queen Victoria said. “Is this the classmate that you saw put Equine in the water he gave to Vincent?”

The truth was, I felt sorry for Frank. He’d done a very stupid thing. “He is, Your Majesty.”

She nodded. “Vincent, his punishment is yours.”

Vincent looked uncertain at what to do. “I am unsure what should be done. What he did was foolhardy, but I can’t believe he wanted to do more than cause embarrassment to me.”

The Queen nodded. “Take your time.”

I stepped forward. “Your Majesty, if I may?”

She looked at me, but looked at me and gave a nod. “As you are wearing the sign of Royal Trust, you may.”

“Why, Frank? Why did you do it?”

Frank was crying, not because of what he’d done, but because he knew his future was ruined. Ruined because he got caught. “I never meant to cause problems, it was supposed to be a joke. He’d have to run to the bathroom and stay a while. That’s all.”

I nodded. “You put enough Equine in that water for several horses. It could have killed him. What did he do that made you hate him so much?”

“I didn’t know how much to use,” Frank said. “I was angry at him. Because of his choice.”

“His choice of me as a friend, instead of you?” I asked. “Why not choose me as the victim?”

“You were always together. You would have been the one if you were ever alone. Vincent was off, getting ready for the completion. Yes. He should have picked someone else as his friend. Not some barbarian from the States!” Even in as much trouble as he was in, his hatred of me, or my embarrassment to him having been picked as Vincent’s friend was still evident in his voice.

“Well, you’ve certainly shown Vincent the errors of his ways on that count.” I nodded. “And you are now known by name in England by Her Majesty Queen Victoria and will be unforgotten by the future King of Denmark. And not for something noble.” I said sadly. I looked at Vincent. “Be mindful, his crime was idiocy, not malicious.”

Vincent nodded. “I’d say his punishment has been carried out. I trust his schooling has been done at Wentworth? He won’t be returning there?”

Queen Victoria nodded. “It has.”

Vincent shrugged. “That is enough, I think.” He looked at Frank. “You could have been a friend, but instead you do this, making yourself known for…what? You don’t like my friends? Well, that’s too bad.” Vincent walked over and stood right in front of him. “And I will never forget that.” And with that Vincent left the room.

I was in an awkward position here. I bowed to the Queen. “With your permission, Your Majesty.”

She nodded and waved me off which I took the opportunity to back out. Remember, never turn your back to the queen!

Back in our rooms, I found Vincent on his bed, staring at nothing.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

He shook his head. “No.” Then he sat up. “Is the doors locked?”

I went to our main door and locked it, then came back in. He was removing his pants, the shirt was already gone. He rolled over.

“I want you to take me,” Vincent said. “I am giving myself to you.”

That was the one thing we hadn’t done yet.

“Vince,” I said. “Are you sure?”

“I’ve recovered from the assault.” Vincent nodded. “So much of my life, I have no control. But I do this and I’m choosing you. Yes. If you want to.”

Knowing what to do and doing are not always the same, but we did it. Slowly. And I knew it hurt. At first. Then he was pushing against me and panting, urging me harder and faster. It wasn’t long and I hit a portion of him that made him let out a little cry and he shot his load on the towel we put on the sheets as I shot mine in him. He rolled over and hugged me.

“I love you, David.”

I kissed him. “I love you, too, Vince.”

Now, what we did and where we were doing it could be…well…let’s be blunt. Stinky. But we were told what we needed to do. Vincent had prepared. If I wanted the same, I had to prepare. The fact that Vincent had prepared meant this was not just spontaneous. He’d thought about it and wanted it.

We both knew what was happening. We were falling more and more in love. We also knew the future was going to hurt emotionally. But neither of us wanted to give the other away.

We finished the year at Wentworth. We did have some other friends at Wentworth. One in particular. Marco Vincelli, he was the son of a wealthy Italian. He was more than just a great guy, he was funny and smart. He invited us to his villa for the summer. We agreed to visit for a month. The week before going to Venice, we went to Paris. And sure enough, we met the same man we had months before.

“Ah, my young pretties.” The man greeted. “Still together, I hope.”

Vincent nodded. “We are. You didn’t tell us about that one spot that makes things….explosive.”

The man laughed. “You found it! Bravo.” He literally applauded. “Well, some men don’t have that. I didn’t want to say it if you were ones that didn’t.”

I grinned at him. “Apparently, we both have them.”

The man clapped again. “Wonderful.” Then he looked at us seriously. “Love is so important. Never lose each other.” And then left.

We did enjoy the shows and freedom we had underground. We also got to see Bendt and Makia doing it, it was in a darker corner, but they were doing more than kissing. But Vincent and I would not do that. Not in view of everyone there even in a dark corner. Seeing us doing something that intimate? No. I was not an athlete but was in good shape and Vincent was an athlete, so neither of us would be embarrassed if anyone saw our bodies, it just…doing it in the open? That sort of cheapened it for us.

The month with Marco was nice, but Marco was a playboy, he loved the ladies. He was handsome enough to have a following and wealthy enough that he never came home alone. He was always trying to get us to go out with him, his date and two other young women he thought we’d like. He was off target by miles. Many a night there, in the dark of night, I’d feel the covers moved back and Vincent would slide in beside me. That was when it was perfect for us. We should have known the secret we shared would one day be known by others. It was the last week of our stay when Marco came to us.

“My friends,” Marco said slowly, sitting at the breakfast table. “I have something to say.”

Both Vincent and I looked at Marco.

“I will only say, it made me curious why whoever I think would be good for you two, it was not good enough.” He said. “So, I watched you. You were always so close, and I just thought…well, Vincent is just being careful. And David just wasn’t going to do what his friend would not. But then I wondered if there was another explanation. I followed you, Vincent.” He held his hand up. “I assure you. This will remain our secret as long as I live. I know you are lovers.”

I was alarmed, but Vincent was calm. “So, now what?” Vincent asked.

Marco shrugged. “For me, it’s no big deal. In fact, in Italy, it happens quite often. Now, I don’t know if it’s just for fun. It often is here or if it’s more serious. To me, it looks very serious. Just so you are aware. I know. It will remain a secret.” And he left.

Vincent sighed. “That could have been worse.”

“Well, if we’re invited again, we know we’re okay here.” I shrugged.

 

But it was on the way back, we got a huge surprise. We stopped in Paris again. It was in the underground where a man, unknown to us stopped.

“That’s an interesting ring.” The man commented. “I’ve seen only one other before.”

Vincent looked at the man as if the man had lost his mind. “Not a ring like this.”

The man nodded. “Oh, yes. The dragons, two over here, one below and three over here. All blue except to below the one blue dragon, a gold one here.” He thought. “I remember because I thought it was very beautiful. I haven’t seen either of the men in a few years.”

“Two men? What did they look like?” I asked.

“Both were very handsome. The one with the ring was a little shorter. Dark hair and brown eyes. The other was a large man, blonde and bluish-green eyes.” The latter man had to be Vincent’s father.

Vincent swallowed. “Really? And they were here?”

“Yes.” He chuckled. “I loved it when they let go and…well, they both had nice bodies.”

“They were…” Vincent couldn’t find the words. He pointed to two men, one was giving oral satisfaction to another. “Doing that?”

“That.” The man nodded. “And that.” He pointed out where one man was putting his erect penis in the ass of the other. “They seemed to like doing to each other.”

Now suddenly Vincent wanted to leave. I had to rush to keep up with him.

 

I finally stopped him when we were in the suite.

“Vince,” I said. “Stop!”

Vincent turned. “My father has been here! Below.” He stressed.

I nodded. “Okay. What are you upset about? Exactly.”

“My father has been here! Only a couple of years ago!” He said louder and angrier.

“Yes!” I agreed just as loud. “You said yourself, the life of a royal is demanding. You have duties and obligations. We could be doing the same if you still want a relationship with me after you marry.” I couldn’t imagine Dad doing it to Mom, but…he was a man. But he didn’t have the obligations that Fredrick had. “I can’t know how you’re feeling. But cut the man some slack, Vince. He’s human.”

Vincent paced. “All these years, he’s told me about my duty. To him and to Denmark. And I find out….”

“What? That he loved someone other than your mother?” I asked.

“Yes!”

“So will you!” I pointed out. “He did his duty. There are you and Annabelle! He did what he was supposed to do. Are you going to tell your wife and children that you’ve been mating with me?” I asked. “Or that I was asked to mate with you and have many times?”

Vincent sat in a chair. “I just don’t know what to think.”

I nodded. “I understand that.” I ran fingers through Vincent’s hair. “But maybe….just maybe, your Dad has someone in his life that makes him feel the way you say you do when you’re with me. At least I hope you feel good about it.”

Vincent blew a breath he seemed to be holding. “I want to believe that.” He wrapped his arms around me pulling me down. “And you know I love you. I feel so….perfect when we’re together.”

I held him to me. “Then let your father have that.”

 

Because of this, we spent an extra week in Paris. Vincent did not want to return home just yet. We were going to Copenhagen next.

 

When we got to Copenhagen, I will admit seeing King Frederick, well…he had some polish removed where I was concerned. Now, he was more a man than a king. He was still king, but human.

Vincent was welcomed home. Then Vincent asked to speak to his father alone. I didn’t know why exactly, but I just hoped Vincent could contain himself. They were in the king’s private office for about twenty minutes when they came out. Vincent just smiled at me. King Fredrick just nodded to me and we continued as if nothing happened.

Later that night I had to know. “What did you say to your father?”

Vincent grinned. “Well, I asked to go with you, as you invited before when we living at Wentworth, going with you home to Wyoming.”

“You did.” It wasn’t a question.

“I did.” Vincent nodded.

“Your mother will not like that,” I said.

Vincent shrugged. “Dad’s going to insist.” He kissed me.

“What did you say?” I asked.

“I started off asking if he liked the lubrication you got in the Underground of Paris.”

My eyes told him I was shocked. “You didn’t.”

Vincent nodded. “I did. I told him that I knew and I was okay with it. I then said you were my lover, like the one he took to the Paris underground.”

“Vinnie!” I said using the name Vincent hated on purpose. “You can’t blackmail the King of Denmark!”

Vincent’s eyes narrowed. “First, I hate that name. Second, he’s the King of Denmark to you and the rest of the world, but to me he’s Dad. And I will need him on our side to convince Mother.” Then his eyes narrowed more, but the twinkle was still there. “You know, I can take the ring back. We are known for changing our minds.”

I nodded. “I take it that’s the Imperial we.” I grinned. “Well, I’m sure I can think of something to keep it.” I began unbuttoning his shirt. “Will this help?” My hands running over his skin as I guided him back.

He smirked. “Well, it’s a start.” He guided my hands down to his pants. “But keep going and we’ll see.”

 

That summer I got to see a lot of Denmark. And a lot of Vincent. Mostly by horseback, Denmark that is, not Vincent. I did not realize it but I had to have new clothes for the next year of school. So did Vincent. We’d grown! I was now over six feet. Yea! Vincent was over six feet and three inches! He was a big Viking.

It was a month or so into the school year when I got a letter from Mom. Well, it was a first in a while. The pony express didn’t run overseas. Mom said she and Dad were coming in the summer. I was thrilled. I hadn’t seen Dad in two years. Mom before that! So, I mentioned it to Vincent.

“Your parents are coming. Okay. Is there a problem?”

How did I say this? “Well, Mom is great. But she is half Shoshone. It shows.”

Vincent nodded. “Are you afraid of the reaction she’ll receive here because she’s half Indian?”

I nodded. “I am.”

Vincent looked smug. “Too bad there’s no one here that would help.”

I frowned. “You can’t ask Queen Victoria to show Mom around.”

“Not her, Dummy.” Vincent grinned. “That certain someone you charmed a couple of years ago. A certain Lady?”

I looked up. “Lady Haversham?” We’d met on several other occasions since the first Christmas Ball at the palace. “Do you think she would?”

He shrugged. “You’re underestimating that Richards’ charm. I’ll guarantee she will.” Grinning at me.

“Where should they stay when they’re here?”

Vincent looked like he couldn’t believe I asked. “Where do you think? Here!”

“I wouldn’t know how to ask!”

Vincent nodded. “Leave that to me.”

 

That Christmas and we were at Buckingham Palace again. Introduced first again. That was because Vincent was the next royal attending that wasn’t a resident, remember? The Queen received us well. Then I get a tap on the shoulder with a folded fan later.

I turned to see Beverly. “You’ve grown.”

I nodded with a grin. “We do that for a few years as I understand it.” I bowed slightly. “Care to dance?”

“With you? Always.” She replied and we hit the floor again. “My daughter, Francesca is still growing, I can’t keep that girl in clothes.”

“And I’m sure she doesn’t mind shopping.” I grinned. Then I figured now was a good a time as any. “I have a request for you.”

“If I can,” Beverly answered.

“My mother is coming in June.” I began. “Well, let me be blunt. She is half Indian and well…they might not be receptive here.”

Beverly nodded. “Consider it done. I will be happy to show her around.”

“I just don’t want her Indian heritage to cause her conflict,” I explained.

“I assure you. No one will dare give her problems.” Beverly assured.

And I knew no one would give Beverly a hard time.

 

The Queen sent me word that my parents would be welcome at Windsor Castle. In fact, she, The Queen, said she was anxious to meet them.

 

Another year at Wentworth and I couldn’t wait for my parents to arrive. I hadn’t really told them I was staying at Windsor Castle. I got my mail from school. Then came the day when I was told the ship had arrived. I got a carriage and met them at the pier, Vincent came with me! And the guards to keep Vincent safe. When I saw them, I realized how much I missed them. Knowing they were on the other side of the world sort of kept you from pining to go home. It was a major undertaking to go and come back. My father saw me first and pointed Mom where I was and we were two trains colliding. She was crying, her hands running over me, feeling that I was really standing in front of her.

“My God! You’ve grown up so much.” Mom cried. “How I’ve missed you.” She hugged me again.

Dad shoved Mom aside. “Enough woman. Let me at ‘em.” And he grabbed me in a bearlike hug. “It is good to see you, son.” And the big softy was wiping the corner of his eyes. “Your Mom’s right, you have grown. Nearly as tall as me!”

“Nearly, but not quite.” I grinned back. Then looked back at Vincent. “Dad, you remember Vincent.”

Dad nodded extending his hand to Vincent. “Of course. The man with good taste in roommates and friends.”

“It’s good to see you again, Sir.” Vincent bowed slightly.

“Honey, this is the boy I told you about. This is Crown Prince Vincent Henrik of Denmark.” Dad introduced to my mother.

Mom knew it but seeing him in front of her. She curtsied. “You’re Highness.” She held her hand out. And Vincent didn’t miss a beat.

“It is a pleasure to make the acquaintance of the parents of my dearest friend.” Vincent kissed her hand.

“I just call him Vince,” I said with a smile. “And if I really want a rise from him, Vinnie.”

He glared at me. “I can still change my mind, you know?” He said often enough about taking the ring back.

I waved him off. “Yeah, yeah, yeah.”

“You must call me Kam. That’s short for Kamani.” My mother insisted.

Vincent shook his head. “Only when he can call my mother and father Fred and Maggie.”

I laughed. “Not as long as I want to keep my head on my shoulders. Your Mother would kill me.”

Vincent nodded. “Yes, she would.”

My mother shook her head with a smile. “My son, meeting kings and queens.”

I grinned. “As will you. Now, you’re probably tired, so let’s head to where you’re staying.” I motioned for them to proceed.

My mother was a little startled by the carriage and uniformed guards, as was my father, but they said nothing as they got in. I assured them their luggage would be there when we got to where I arranged them to stay.

“So, how is school?” Dad asked.

I shrugged. “Interesting,” I commented. “We had a little trouble a while back. We sort of…had to move.”

“Oh?” Mom asked. “You have a generous allowance. That should not have been a problem for you. But what happened?”

I explained about Frank Dupont. My father looked startled. Mom was just appalled.

Then as we made a turn. “That’s why I’m living here.” I began as we turned to go down a wide path to Windsor Castle. I will say this, it a sight to behold. The walls and towers spread before us, still some ways away, but it just loomed!

Even my father stared in disbelief. “You’re living in this castle.”

I nodded. “It was live here or Vincent had to go home to Copenhagen.”

Mother just stared with wide eyes. “You’re living at the palace?”

“One of them. Queen Victoria lives at the Osborne House. It’s closer for when she sees someone on official business. No one really lives at Buckingham Palace anymore. It’s mostly for parties and banquets. I’ve been several times. This will be where you’re staying for the remainder of your visit.” I explained. “Friday, you will dine with Queen Victoria.”

Mother looked at Father in a panic. “I have nothing to wear! Not to dine with the Queen of England!”

Dad shrugged not worried at all. “I’m sure there are a few dress shops in London, Kam.”

I put my hand on my Mother’s arm. “Don’t worry. A friend is taking you shopping. She will guide you to the right shops.” Then I smiled at Dad. “You did bring what I asked you to, didn’t you?”

Dad nodded. “I did. But I don’t understand. I won’t be wearing those things to dinner, will I?”

I chuckled. “Just to amuse the Queen.”

When we pulled into the palace, Bert and two women were waiting for us to step down.

“Mom, Dad. This is Bert Davenport. The head guy here at Windsor.” I introduced.

“And these two are Gertrude and Bonnie.” Bert continued. “They are your chambermaids for your stay.” He introduced as the two young women curtsied.

Mom, not used to such polished and pampering, just looked in awe as we went to their apartments. We saw them at dinner and it was the next day Beverly came.

“Mrs. Richards, it is a pleasure to meet the one that molded such a fine young man.” Beverly greeted shaking Mom’s hand.

“This is Lady Beverly Haversham, Mother. Her husband is Percival Haversham of the House of Lords.”

Mom heard that and curtsied immediately. “My Lady.”

Beverly smiled. “You should be very proud of your son, Mrs. Richards. He is quite a remarkable man. His words and actions, especially about women are a testament of the virtues you instilled on him. You’re husband as well as yourself are to be congratulated.”

Mom smiled wider. “He did that on his own. But I will admit to honing that option. He has been primarily self-taught.”

Beverly nodded. “I thought we could go, get some lunch and take in a shop or two I go to.” That Friday, I went to my mother and father’s apartment. Knocking Dad opened the door with his boots, spurs, chaps and frowned.

“I look like I’m about to brand some steer.” He groused. Then he looked at me. “So do you.”

I chuckled. “We are a novelty in England. So, chin up.” I looked at Mom. “Wow, Mom, you look great!” And she did. Beverly had helped her pick out a dress of a light yellow that complimented the slight darkness of her skin. Her hair done up and her jewelry was perfect.

Mom curtsied. “Thank you, Honey.”

 

We entered the room where we were gathering before dinner. I ushered them in.

“Mom, Dad,” I said. “I present the Queen of England, Ireland and the Impress of India, Queen Victoria.” I directed their attention to the woman seated. Both of my parents instantly bowed and curtsied.

“You're Grace.” My Mother said humbly.

“You’re Majesty,” Dad said.

The Queen saw my father and I were dressed as the cowboys we were and smiled. “I see where David gets his good looks.”

Dad smiled at that. “Well, his mother gave half.”

“Your son has been a very good friend to my cousin.” Queen Victoria said. “He earned the ring of trust my cousin gave him.”

“I appreciate your kindness to him, Your Majesty.” My mother nodded.

I grinned. “And of course, you know Beverly Haversham. This is her husband, Percival. Lord Percival Haversham.” I introduced the man that I only met twice.

“Your son has swept my wife off her feet,” Percival said shaking my father’s hand and kissing my mother’s hand. “Quite literally.”

Beverly smiled. “That first night at the Christmas Ball, your son introduced himself and I found him to be an elegant dancer.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 16
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/06/2016 02:02 PM, DeroiBlandDavis said:

Beyond the fact that I love historical based stories, this is honestly good! I love the perspective and easy flow of the narrative. I am not sure how many chapters you plan to have but I could see this story ending on a somewhat happy/content note! At least for me it will, lol.

My only reply is yes and no. Will it be happy? Duty will be important. We do what we have to.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

You got the King's name (almost) right: Frederik - except he wasn't King in 1881 but crown Prince (Christian IX reigned from 1963 to 1906), and his wife was called Lovisa. They had eight children, but all of them are too young to be your Vincent (the oldest was born in 1870).
But all of the above doesn't matter because the story is fun to read and the love story great.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am loving the story and this chapter was awesome... The thing with writing it can touch on history but does not have to record it. Look at other stories Makarovia is written about by someone I know, but I can't see any mention of it in the chronicles of history.

I love Henrik and his trusted friend. To know the King is human as you bodes well for the lovers.

My partner had friend who was a footman at the royal palaces; he said that even though he lived in London he never had to go looking for love... To quote his words 'I could be up all night if I was a complete slut and I would not even have to leave the palace'. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..