Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 1,213 Words
  • 3,989 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Luckiest Man In The World - 5. Lola

David meets Rain's grandmother.

Flying to California was not bad. For some reason, Lola had moved to Northern California, several hundred miles above San Francisco. We flew to Redding and rented an SUV and took two security men with us. Yes, they had to come. She was now living in a house near Eureka. I had no idea where she was or how to get there except head west until we hit the ocean. That away was all I knew. So Rain drove.

“Lola is a bit different.” Rain warned. “She still hates cops and doesn’t care much for military people.”

“She is aware that the war in Vietnam is over.” I looked back at the security men. “She’s not gonna give Chet and Mark a hard time is she?”

Rain shrugged. “They look military.” He ran across his hair, indicating their military cuts. “And the only technology she has in electricity. A refrigerator. Oh, and a phone. That’s it.”

“How did you survive without TV?” I asked.

He shrugged again. “Didn’t know it existed until I was eight really. I read books. Hell, I never saw a movie until I was 12!”

“No way.” I marveled. “Nothing?”

He shook his head.

When we arrived at the house there wasn’t much to impress. It was a blue house and old? In the South people had blue houses, in a lot of cases, to ward off evil spirits. It was clean. The yard was natural, no lawn. We went to the side door and met an elderly woman. My first thought on seeing her was the lady in that series, Charmed, the old crone? Long black hair with grey about 70 years old? Not fat, but not thin anymore. She wasn’t attractive but must have been once. No makeup. Rain had grown up without TV, but I did. Her eyes were alert and looked as we entered that lit up on seeing Rain. The tie-dyed shirt and dark skirt said it all.

“Rain! My boy.” She greeted and hugged him. “It’s great to see you.”

He hugged her back. “Lola, it’s great to see you, too.” He stepped back and held her arms out. “You look well.”

She chuckled. “As well as any old woman my age.” Then her gaze went to me. “Is this him?”

Rain looked at me, then back to Lola. “Him who?”

“Your new boyfriend.” Her eyes hardened on me. “My friend Maxine told me she saw you on TV with a man, he's supposed to be rich. He looks rich.”

Rain nodded. “Yes. This is Eric Mitchell. My boyfriend.”

I stepped forward. “Hello, Ms. Stevens.” I put my hand out.

She took it and shook it, but there wasn’t a lot of enthusiasm. She looked behind me. “Mmhum. And these other two. Baby killer buddies?”

Rain stepped in front of her. “They aren’t baby killers, neither am I. Be nice.” He warned.

“Chet and Mark are here to protect me,” I stated.

“Protect you from who, me?” Lola challenged.

“If necessary,” I said honestly. “Mostly from the world at large. It seems people might want to do me harm.”

Lola still didn’t let up but shook her head. “Nothing to protect you from here.”

“It’s not up to you, Lola. Or Eric. It’s part of the tour.” Rain defended. “Can’t we have a nice visit?”

She shrugged. “I don’t see what there is to protect, but…”

“Now, Lola,” Rain began. “Stop it. Or we’ll head off now. I won’t be back for a year…”

“A year! You were gone for several years…”

“I was on duty.” Rain said, then sighed. “I was serving our country overseas and you know it. I wrote every week, so cool it.”

She looked at him. “So you can go to school. You can have a nice life here.”

“I want my own life. Not yours.” He reached and took my arm. “Let’s go.”

“I’ll quit.” Lola agreed relenting. “Not another word. I promise.” She looked at me. “Well, at least he’s nice looking.”

“Lola!” Rain put out.

The whole thing could have been serious if it weren’t so funny. I had to bite my cheek to keep from laughing. It was when I was helping her with dinner preparations that I asked her why she was so against someone having a relationship.

“All men lie.” She said a little more angry than normal. “They lie and leave.”

“I don’t,” I said softly.

She laughed. “If you and Rain are together in a month, I’ll be surprised. Every man I’ve known lie and leave. Rain’s father did, his grandfather, my father.”

Rain, who had been setting the table had come in at the last part of the conversation. “Great-grandpa died, Lola.”

Lola nodded. “In a war. He said he would be back. He lied. He went to fight a war and died. He shouldn’t have gone.”

Rain walked over. “He was drafted, Lola. He had to go, or break the law.”

“He could have gone to Canada, anywhere.” Lola defended. “They all leave. Your grandfather did.”

Rain’s brow furrowed. “I thought you didn’t know.”

Lola shrugged. “I don’t, but they all left.”

After a few minutes of silence. “I was married. To a woman I loved, but she lied to me. I could, and probably have blamed all women because of what she did. She cheated on me. Now, if I let that happen over and over again, I would blame all women, but I try not to. At least give me a chance to prove otherwise. I love Rain and I can’t see me hurting him ever.”

She regarded me a moment, then nodded.

In the room she’d put us, Rain was getting ready for bed. I was looking through some pictures of Rain.

“Damn, you had long hair,” I commented.

He looked at the one I was pointing to. He chuckled. “I did. I had my first haircut at five.”

My brows rose. “Five!?”

He nodded and lay beside me.

I looked at another and was startled. There was Rain. High school prom? In a dress!! “What the…”

Rain chuckled. “Don’t get twisted.” He said. “A friend of mine had wanted to bring his date, who was a guy. Well, the principal made this decree. Every guy was to wear a tux and every girl had to be in a dress. One tux and one dress. That was the rule. So, my buddies and I went, in dresses.”

I looked at this young man, a teenager and with his hair longer than I would have liked and in the dress. “Well, it was a nice dress.”

“Thanks.” Rain pulled the photos away. “How about a little fantasy satisfaction?” He grinned.

“What fantasy?”

He shrugged. “Doing it in my room.”

“Doing what?” I pretended.

He kissed me. “You’ll see.”

 

At the end of the next day, Lola was a lot sweeter and nicer. Still, we had to go.

“Twenty-five cities!?” Lola said when we told her.

I nodded. “In a year.”

Rain kissed her on the cheek. “I’ll get you something from each one.”

She patted him lightly in the chest. “Just come back, that’s all I want.”

“I plan to.” Rain promised. “We’ll both be back.” He kissed her again and got in.

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sounds like Lola is a woman that has been hurt in life and not having anyone there for her ran to escape the hurt.

 

I think if I'd been born a decade earlier I could easily have been a hippy. Then again you always second guess.

 

When I sent our wedding invitations out, I got an invitation from a missionary that I had worked with inviting me over to his wedding at the same time as mine. The idea was to go there, travel with him and then work for his father.

 

I still wonder what if? Where would I be today if I had moved to California then?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh I remember the old crone from Charmed, she had a very memorable performance in my opinion!

I feel bad for Lola, she only had bad experiences in love, which made her stop trying and caused her to be pessimistic. I can't blame her, though...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/28/2018 at 5:44 AM, Kev said:

I still wonder what if? Where would I be today if I had moved to California then?

Hopefully you would have purchased a house in the ‘80s or ‘90s before real estate prices skyrocketed! Otherwise, you’d either be struggling to afford the ever increasing rents on an income that isn’t keeping up with inflation or you’d have moved away at some point. Just like everyone who lives here.  ;–)

 

There are still hippies living in Berkeley and in SF’s Haight, but most have moved to Mendocino, Humboldt, or Del Norte* County.  ;–)

 

 

* pronounced Del Nort due to its settlement be Azores Portuguese. This area was not part of Spanish/Mexican California. It had been part of Russian America.

Edited by droughtquake
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..