Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 5,798 Words
  • 6,851 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Luckiest Man In The World - 1. I won the Superpowerball! Part I

Eric wins a world-wide lottery! He and his life-long friend go to collect the winnings

ENTER TODAY!! Don’t let the opportunity of a lifetime pass you by to become the Luckiest Person in the World! Be the envy of friends and family. The envy of the world!! Play the Superpowerball today!

 

My name’s Eric Mitchell. I’m writing this as I was told I had to right after it happened, as part of the results of my…winning. It was the weekend after New Years when it happened and my life changed from just a face in the crowd to being known throughout the world. Even the King and Queen of England knew who I was. Really, I’m writing this just to keep things straight myself. Yet, I find that I want to get things straight so people understand. And it’s cathartic for me as well. First, let me state now and be clear, there was no divine revelation, I have no psychic abilities, no advanced mathematics formula to give you to win, I just guessed. As a result of dumb luck, I won what billions tried to win. My chances were the same as everyone else. And in every contest, there are the occasional winners. One chance in billions and this time, it was me. I was the one. So, why me? Beats the hell out of me. So, perhaps it was divine. The point is, I don’t know. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, or who I am…like that is possible given the mass media response. I won the Superpowerball. Yeah, just me.

I mean, who can forget those wonderful commercials? The Powerball People, not mine. I mean, we all saw the tired housewife struggling with three or four kids, doing laundry while ironing and cooking dinner and then “poof” she was in a designer gown, on this elegant marble staircase drinking champagne with a tiara on her head surrounded by gorgeous men. Or the one where the mechanic was being fussed at by a fat, greasy boss, then “poof” he was clean, super haircut, a slick tux with gorgeous women on his arms in front of a killer sports car. All commercials had limousines, cameras flashing for pictures around as crowds tried to see him. And in your mind, you wished it was you. Yeah, you know the hype. And you paid the five dollars for the ticket in hopes that that would be you. And you could buy only one ticket. Only one, there were a few that tried to cheat, but they were found out and disqualified. But then again, you knew you couldn’t really win. Hope is great, but the reality is what it is. Imagine being in the stadium on a Super Bowl Sunday and the camera randomly picks you. Why? Now imagine all the stadiums in the world filled and again, the camera lands on you and only you. It’s unbelievable, right? What if really happened. It was real. The only difference is I did win. I went from an anonymous face in the crowd and in one week, global recognition. Really. Me.

I remember the day it happened, I had been out with my friend Kyle the night before and yes, we got a little hammered. Drunk. I remember needing cigarettes and we stopped at a Little Cricket to get some. We saw the Lotto signs and the advertisement for the Powerball and the big game, the Superpowerball. The only thing was, the Superpowerball was more than the one dollar like I said, it was five dollars for a ticket. As I said also, the game was only nine or ten yeas old years old. There were some winners, both on the same drawing had won in the decade it had been around. More countries wanted in. It just grew. One in Dubai and the other in Canada. It was as worldwide as it could get. The United States, all of Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, all Europe, Scandinavia, Russia, and others, so the half-billion dollars was easy to come up with. Now, it was a billion dollars. That’s right, one billion dollars! The largest payout in history. Tax-free! Meaning, you didn’t pay tax on the winnings, nor pay tax again! Sales tax when you buy something, yes. But the money didn’t generate tax. What a deal, right? Who wouldn’t want that!? The idea was that money would be invested, likely and everything you bought, clothes, jewelry, trips taken would sell! That was the point. There were marketing ploys for everything! Hell! Your face would be on everything from t-shirts to lunch boxes! And don’t forget the commercials you were to do and I did. Not to mention a TV show and a couple of cartoons! But for that first year, you had mandatory appearances around the world! Treated like kings and queens, fine dining and luxury stay in hotels. But you worked. Oh, after the year was up, you could return to your job…right. Who would do that? Give it away or do whatever you pleased. It was your money. It was your life after that. You could live anywhere. Imagine! I know you have, but if it was real, where do you go? This wasn’t fantasy or a daydream, for me, it was real!

 

I bought a ticket a few weeks ago. That was Friday night, the drawing was Sunday. I had chosen numbers that meant something to me, my birthday, Kyle’s birthday, Dad’s and Mom’s birthdays and their wedding day. 10 22 11 07 08 25 10 16 06 19. Again, you could only buy one ticket and had to have a valid ID and fingerprints taken. So at that level of security and a lot of double digits, so the chances were slim or just impossible.

 

That Sunday morning began with a banging, ripping whatever I was dreaming about away. It took me a while, but I could hear it and it woke me.

“Eric!” I heard. “I know you’re there. Open up.”

I knew the voice well. Susan, my ex-wife. We had recently gotten the divorce finalized and were selling the house I had bought for us.

“No!” I shouted. “I won’t sell you my half of the house to you unless you pay! That means either you pay what it’s worth or no deal.”

“I’m sure we can work this out. Open the door.”

“Why? Your boyfriend has enough money.” I shot at her angrily.

“Stop that!” She said aggravated. “Mark won’t do that.”

“So you admit it now?” With that, I got up and opened the door. Understand, I lived in a one-room studio apartment, it was all I could afford. I lived in Charleston, South Carolina. Old, historic…and did I say old? Well, it was. We celebrated 300 years back in 1970. I lived in a house mostly used by students at the College of Charleston. Lots of parties there, but none I went to. I was the old man at twenty-seven. It was one of those houses that were narrow at the street, but long with these verandas that went down the side on both of its two stories. Charleston is famous for those. You see, you were taxed back in the day by how much of the house you had on the street, so narrow and long was the way to skirt that. Clever, huh? Damn, she was beautiful. In her mid-twenties, dark auburn hair that fell just below the shoulders and green eyes. Her great-grandmother had been Japanese, so a slight slant to her eyes with porcelain skin. It gave her a hint of the exotic.

“No.” She said quickly. “But I knew that would get the door open.”

I rolled my eyes and walked off, leaving the door open. “Okay, give it another shot, but know I won’t be selling at a loss.”

“I offered $20,000. I know that job you have doesn’t pay much.” She put. “But it’s all I can afford.”

“Yes.” I nodded. “For a house appraised for $120,000. Sorry, $60,000 or no deal.”

“Sounds reasonable.” A voice said behind Susan and in walked Kyle.

Understand, Kyle Walters and I have been best friends since first grade. Born twenty days apart, both male and roughly the same height, but that where it ended. We met in school for first grade on day one and became inseparable. We were the same age, one month apart. I was 5 going on 6 in October, he was 5 going on 6 in November. That’s where it stopped. I had black hair and brown eyes, he had red almost orange hair and brown eyes and a face full of freckles as a kid. Now we were both 27 and our paths didn’t change since then. We even went to the same college, USC, that’s the University of South Carolina, not Southern California. He went to become a lawyer, I didn’t know what I was going to do, but I worked in a hotel while there and went into hotel management. We were even roommates for the last two years of school. We never fought…well, once, in high school over a girl. Beth Woods. She had been pudgy in middle school and came to high school thinned and gorgeous. We came to blows over her. Then I realized it didn’t matter. I liked her, yes, but to throw out a decade of friendship away for her? No. The truth was, I was bisexual. I liked her, but also her brother. No, I never touched Kyle that way, not that you asked. We were like brothers, so no. Kyle was good looking enough, beautiful even, sure, but I’d never do that to him. But if it had been Beth’s brother Mark, we wouldn’t have fought at all, Kyle was straight. The truth was, I did prefer men to women. Susan just hit that spot in me that made her irresistible. People say I chickened out, but I loved her. Really.

“You’re still here, I see,” Susan grumbled.

“I have to be.” Kyle reasoned. “Someone needs to look out for him when dealing with the Wicked Witch of the East.”

She gave a bitter smile and chuckled mockingly. “You two have always been very close. Strangely close. Perhaps I should have charged Eric with adultery.”

“You could have,” I nodded. “But Kyle is straight and you know it. But if you think you can prove otherwise, go for it.” I shrugged and walked off. Turning toward her. “I have more proof when it comes to you and Mark than you do for me and Kyle.” I grinned. “Not that I blame you. Mark’s a really great looking man. He has a great ass.”

Susan grunted. “That’s disgusting.”

“I told you when we started dating I was bisexual and had been with both girls and boys.” I went in to start my breakfast. “Anything else?”

“I don’t have that kind of money.” Susan protested.

“I know,” I said. “But you did okay with the settlement. Hell of a lot better than I did. Can’t Mark help you out?”

“Stop it with Mark!” Susan shouted.

I grinned. “I didn’t bring him into this, you did.” Then I got angry. “I didn’t file for divorce, you did. You walked out, not me, for him.”

“What was I supposed to do? You were always so jealous. Besides, it wasn’t working between us.” Susan shouted.

“With good reason!” I claimed. “All those nights when you worked late! Going to dinner with Mark.” I shook my head. “Get out. We’ve said all this before. Nothing’s changed.”

“Is that the reason you won’t sell me your half of the house? To get even with me?”

“Why are you being so dense?” I asked. “I worked hard to give us a house. To build a life, have kids. Now you want to take what I worked for away. You wanted the marriage to end, well it did. Why am I going to lose hard earned money?” I pointed to the door. “Get out!”

Kyle stepped aside so she could leave. “Have a nice day. Watch out for falling houses.”

“Die, Kyle,” Susan stated as she left.

“After you,” Kyle said back and grinned at me. “So you really think Mark’s got a great ass?”

I grinned back, wiggling my eyebrows. Well, he really did!

 

That day was spent with Kyle just hanging out. He sprang for the pizza that night. We watched a movie and then it got late. While I was off until Monday night, Kyle had to work in the morning, so I was walking him out when they drew the numbers of the Super Powerball.

“That’s 10 22 11 07 08 25 10 16 06 19, remember, you have 72 hours to claim your winnings.” The blonde woman announced waving her hand across a row of balls that had popped up from vats of balls that circulated with air that kept them dancing around. “The clock is ticking.”

Kyle froze. “Eric! Isn’t that the numbers you chose?”

I was frozen, too. I heard the numbers, but it sort of faded in my mind. No, it had to be other numbers. “It couldn’t be.” Then I ran to my little table by the door. In a tray, I kept keys, cigarettes, lighter and loose change. Also, the ticket I’d gotten on that Friday night. With the numbers still on the screen, I held up my ticket. And there they were. All of them, in order on my ticket. “Impossible,” I whispered as a loud whine was all I could hear. The ticket held just below the screen numbers was blurring. Then I felt a sharp pain on the right side of my face.

“Eric!” Kyle shouted as he shook me lightly. “Don’t stroke on me now! You’re a billionaire!”

“Ow.” I put my hand over my face. “I won,” I said quietly.

Kyle nodded excitedly. “I know!”

I held the ticket up. “I won.”

“I know!!” Kyle repeated more excited.

“I never win anything.” I reasoned.

Kyle grinned. “You can’t say that now. You’re a billionaire!!” He grabbed my arm. “Come on!” He dragged me towards the door. “You won’t be if we’re not there to collect.”

“Where?”

“Columbia,” Kyle said as he hurried towards the car. “The state Powerball and Lotto is on Gervais Street. Let’s go.”

“It’s nearly midnight and they won’t open until 8 in the morning.”

Kyle stopped looking back in disbelief. “You wanta wait!?”

I grabbed the car door handle. “No.”

 

It was a quick trip to Columbia, it was only two hours away and at that time of night there was very little traffic. I was still reeling over having won. My mind couldn’t accept it, but here was the ticket. What would I do with that much money? Any car, any house…it was all too incredible to accept. Still we talked about trips I have always wanted to take, cars we had wanted. We arrived in Columbia and the address Kyle had put into his GPS. There was a light on inside.

“They’re open late.” I commented. I looked at my watch. “It’s after 2 in the morning.”

“They’re open because they know you’ll show up. This is for you.” Kyle shrugged. “All for you. Get used to it.”

Before we got to the door, it opened and a well-dressed blonde woman in her late thirties open smiled a greeting. “That was quick. Welcome, Mr. Mitchell.” She put her hand out. “Congratulations on winning the Superpowerball. I’m Karen Walker. I am the official litigator for the Powerball. I’m here to make sure you are aware of what is going to happen.” She grinned. “You got here quickly.”

“Hey, I heard the numbers and we were on the way a minute later.” I shook her hand as she let us in.

“I can only hope the others will be as quick.” She said.

“Others?” Kyle asked.

“Yes.” The woman said. “There were three winners worldwide that includes you. You were the only winner in North America. There was one in Germany and one more in Australia.” She looked at Kyle. “And you are?”

Kyle grinned giving a head thrust in my direction. “Kyle Walters. Best friend to Eric Mitchell.”

She shook his hand. “Pleased to meet you, Mr. Walters.” She turned to me. “You have the ticket?”

I pulled to winning ticket from my pocket. There were no worries that she would just take it and run. It was registered with my fingerprints. Handing it to her, she took the ticket motioning for us to follow. “This is just a formality.” The office building was like a bank, with teller windows for people to purchase and cash in tickets from daily lottos, pick 3 and the Powerball. It was all deserted except for some men milling around. Big men, as in brawny. Security? Dark suits. She went to a machine, like the one I had bought the ticket from that Cricket. She punched some buttons, then inserted the ticket. “As I said, this is just formality. Security with this is very good, your address and picture are part of that. Those numbers you saw were done hours ago. That's how I was here to meet you. We're based in New York. This lets the main office know you’ve checked in.” She handed it back. “So, until they do the same…or don’t, then we know who to reward the money to.” She led us to an office where there were two men sitting drinking coffee. Both official-looking. “Legally, we have some things to discuss first.” She motioned for us to sit in chairs that surrounded a conference table. Sighing she smiled at me. “How are you feeling?”

I told the truth. “Numb. Like this is all a dream and I’m going to wake up in my apartment any second.”

She gave a nod. “Understandable, which is why I need to ask. Is there anything that will keep you from accepting the money? Give it to charity or something like that?”

I shook my head. “No charity I’d give it all to. Perhaps someday a part of it, but no.”

She nodded again. “Think about this. The life you knew is gone. You will be flown to New York this week, probably in a few hours. So by accepting the award, you’re willing to commit to a week in New York?”

I shrugged. “Sure.”

“Then there is the world tour, a week in Las Vegas then, a week in Tokyo, then in Australia, a week in Sydney, a week in Delhi, a week in Paris, a week in St. Petersburg, a week in London. There will be a week between some of these stops, but it’s going to take you a year. Many will want to see you. There will be cameras following your every move.”

I thought a moment. “I don’t get one thing. How do you know you’re giving the money to the right person?” I saw her confusion. “I mean, you could be giving it to a drug addict or a serial killer. I could funnel the money to terrorists.”

She smiled. “That is your prerogative. You could buy drugs, pay for women…the whole thing is, the whole world will be watching you do that. That’s what makes it interesting.”

I was feeling a little shaky, whether it was the adrenaline rush or lack of sleep. It could have been both. “I’m feeling sort of shaky. Can we get something to eat?”

She smiled. “Of course, anything you want.” She sat back. “You’ve had a pretty big shock. Naturally, you’re out of kilter.”

It was still dark out. Only four in the morning. “There’s very little open,” I commented.

She nodded. “Your plane is fully stocked.”

“My plane?”

The smile widened. “Your plane.” She said again nodding. “As we didn’t know who won other than you and who they’d bring, we were prepared for one or a family of ten.” She chuckled. “You having a plane takes care of that. Of course, if you like, a room can be rented for you here, but at our building in New York, we have a suite for you. You can go there, the announcement of your winning won’t be for two and a half days.” Then she was serious. “How many are going?”

I looked at Kyle. “Don’t you have to be at work in the morning?”

He shrugged. “I do, but considering my best friend just won a billion dollars…I’ll call in.”

“And what about you?” She asked me. “Is there somewhere you need to be?”

“Not until tonight, midnight,” I answered. “I’m a manager and auditor of a hotel in Charleston.”

She nodded writing something. “Okay. Well, we have temporaries, all bonded and tops in their fields. We’ll call the hotel and arrange for their employ for eight weeks. You will, of course, resign.”

I loved where I worked, but not the job. “Okay, I don’t know if Mr. Perriguex will like it, but…”

“We’ll have someone cover for you that’s very good and the hotel won’t pay for it.”

I brightened hearing that. “That he’ll like.” Then I turned to Kyle. “Don’t waste your sick leave.”

Kyle grinned. “Give me a dollar.”

That was odd. I pulled out my wallet. “All I have is a five.”

“That’ll do.” He pulled it from my hand. “Now say, I want you as my lawyer.”

Now it made sense and I got it. “I want you as my lawyer.”

Kyle looked at the woman with a smile. “You witnessed the exchange of currency and heard him say it. I am officially his lawyer. Now I can go to New York?”

“For how long?” I asked seriously. “I know you love being a lawyer, and I know you can’t come with me for a year.”

Kyle grinned at me slowly. “Yeah, I do.” He put his hand on my shoulder. “But I’ll be there any time you need me. And for this first week. I’ll be there. Maybe Las Vegas, too. Not Tokyo. Sorry.”

He was a good friend. “Hey!” I said. “You could start your own law firm. I’d finance that.” I grinned.

He held his hand up. “Whoa there Daddy Bigbucks, before you commit to that, I need to prove myself under that tutelage of a lawyer with decades of practice. Dan Poole will do that.”

It was easy to see. “When the time comes, I will be there for you.”

He looked a little sheepish. “I know.” He hated getting all, as he put when we were ten, mushy.

“Now, here’s Mr. Turner.” Karen introduced a man that had been sitting in darkness. He like some of the men out front was huge. Not fat, just big. Linebacker big. Only he must have been in his late forties and early fifties. Once he stepped into the light, I half expected him to have an eye patch, or a scar on his face. Old war wounds, you know. Where was the riding crop dictators always had? Yet once he was there, he smiled. Changed his whole face. But I wouldn’t mess with him.

“Mr. Mitchell, I am in charge of your security.”

Naturally. “Of course you are.”

Kyle leaned toward me. “I won’t mess with him on a well-lit street, much less a dark alley.”

Mr. Turner chuckled. “A few have tried. But I’m here to advise you, once your face has been on the news and broadcast all over the world, you will become a target. Everywhere you go, people will be trying to meet you, touch you.” His smile faded. “Some will stop at nothing to get what you have. Even kill you.”

I swallowed at that. I had never considered that. Then again, I never really considered that I would win a few million, maybe a billion. Who seriously would!?

“How is killing me going to get them the money?” I asked.

Karen frowned. “People aren’t rational when it comes to money. So, I’ll ask again. Do you want to do this?”

The big man softened his features. “I don’t mean to scare you, but never go alone anywhere. You have security that will be with you always.” Mr. Turner said gravely. “Even to get a stick of gum or a pack of smokes. Always use your security.”

“You are about to become the most famous man alive,” Karen warned. “These days will be enjoyable, but intense. Is there anyone we need to worry about? Mother, father, siblings…”

“Parents are deceased. No siblings.” I commented. Then I remembered. “I have an ex-wife.”

Karen looked extremely pleased. “Do we need to worry about her? Was the divorce amicable? Will she be after a part of the money?”

I grinned. “Not with that agreement I signed. Nothing that she bought after the split is mine and nothing I get does she get. Only the house is in dispute. That was to be sold and half given to me. As far as the split is concerned…it was….tense, but reasonably friendly.”

Kyle grunted. “I’d love to see her face when she finds out about this.”

I laughed. “Kyle’s not a big fan of hers.” And said to the woman.

“Fan?” Kyle asked, snorting. “Not even slightly. The woman ruined you.”

I leaned forward to look as if I’m divulging secret information that was confidential. “It’s the children that always have the hardest time in a divorce.”

“She is a lying, scheming, manipulative bitch,” Kyle muttered angrily. Karen and Mr. Turner looked surprised at the venom he spewed.

I jutted my head in his direction. “You’d think she divorced him.”

Karen laughed, shaking her head. “Clearly. But you don’t fear her interfering? No threats from her?”

“No.” I shook my head.

Karen sighed with a smile. “Okay. And you better believe you will see her face. It’ll no doubt be broadcast on local networks.”

I sighed. “But I will contact her first. She won’t believe me, but I should contact her.”

Karen rose. “Not until Wednesday evening, but that’ll be fine. If you could leave the keys with Mr. Turner, or is there some other way you want to have the car returned?”

Kyle dug his car keys out and handed them to Mr. Turner.

“Now, let’s get on the plane,” Karen stated rising.

 

We flew in a private jet! A g6 or g5…whatever. Nice, plush and we were bound for New York City. Some shrimp cocktail and lobster later, I was sleepy and was out. When we landed, I didn’t even know what airport we were at, but…not contending with city traffic was nice. It was mid-morning when we arrived. There were no cabs taken, we were flown by helicopter to a building that had to be over fifty stories. That was small to some of these other buildings.

Then we were shown a place…well…Karen opened a set of double doors and I was flabbergasted! We were on a landing where there was a room like I had only seen in magazines and on TV. Below us on the lower level was a suite. It was all white and glass with a fireplace and chimney, on either side of that were windows that went from the ground up to the ceiling on the second level. Unobstructed views of Manhattan.

“Damn!” I muttered.

“Double damn.” Kyle agreed.

Karen chuckled. “I trust you’re finding this acceptable. It’s going to be home for a week.”

Kyle smirked at me, then did his best not to show how impressed he was. “Well…I suppose it’ll have to do.”

I gave him a quick tap with my foot on his butt. “That’s Kyle-speak for, Hell Yeah!”

Karen just laughed. “I can see that filming the two of you will be a good thing.” She turned to Kyle. “Are you sure you want to return to work? Can’t we convince you to extend it?”

“But I didn’t win.”

“Well, Mr. Mitchell seems to enjoy having you around and the two of you play off each other so well…”

Kyle looked at me and with my nod. He shrugged. “I’ll see if Ol’ Dan will let me have a sabbatical or something.”

“Good. No doubt you two know we’ll be making money off the coverage of you Mr. Mitchell. Commercials alone will be very profitable.” She led us to one of the stairs to go down, the landing had one on either side of the doors. “You will find everything you need, there are three bedrooms on the lower level, all with their own baths, dining room…and there is a kitchen open twenty-four hours that will make whatever you want. There’s an entertainment system here,” she lifted a remote and pointed it toward the stairs. A big TV lowered, “allowing access to any movie, TV show…also, there is a game system, any game you wish.” She turned to me. “For now, rest, you’ll be needing it. But tomorrow,” she paused looking at us, “think of what you want to project to the world. Jeans and t-shirts may be comfortable, but…”

“We didn’t pack.” Kyle nodded.

“But I don’t have the money yet to buy any clothes.” I objected.

Karen raised her hand. “Friday night will be the celebration. Do you want to be seen as casual, formal….what?”

“I want the slickest tux a man can own.” I grinned. Kyle looked at me surprised. I shrugged. “What? I like the commercial, mechanic goes out all gussied up. The accountant comes from the behind the desk…I want to gussy up!”

“Can he get a haircut?” Kyle asked pointing at the hair I always kept short. It was due for a cut, only I was watching the money.

“Sure. I’ll be sending someone to you tomorrow.” Karen nodded. “There are some stores here to get something, for now, tonight…if you want.”

“Will Giggles here approve of that?” Kyle thumbed to Mr. Turner who like a shadow had followed us all the way. The smile that ghosted his face told me he took Kyle’s name for him in good humor. “Do you have a name, other than Mr. Turner? Or shall it always be Giggles?”

“Ned.” Mr. Turner replied and chuckled. “Only around the other men, please, call me Mister Turner.”

I gave him a salute. “Roger that.” I turned to Kyle. “I like him,” I told Kyle loud enough that Ned could hear it.

“He’s still a bit scary,” Kyle whispered back. Then he snapped his fingers. “Better call Ol Danny boy, gotta let him know I may be a little late.”

“Please say nothing about what’s happened.” Karen cautioned.

Kyle stopped, then turned around. “Then I better use your phone. The area code will prove I’m outta town.” He poked me. “He’s good for the long distance.”

 

We continued the tour, we were escorted into what we were told was the Emperor’s Room.

“This room is bigger than my whole house!” I declared seeing the huge bed. Again, the white, glass and silver on the furnishings. No windows here. Then I heard.

“Holy shit!!!”

I turned to Karen and smiled with a shrug. “He doesn’t get out much.” Then went to the double doors I had heard Kyle’s voice emanate from. “Your Mom would tan your hide…holy shit!” The bathroom was nearly the size of the bedroom. A huge tub in the middle big enough for two or three. The “shower” was behind glass but big enough for a team!

“Shall I get the soap?” Kyle teased me. “I can call Mom.”

Other than that, there was a closet most stores would love to display clothes, shoe shelves…I was overwhelmed. No clothes though. “I want Kyle to get a suit and stuff.”

“That would be fine.” Karen was smiling at us. “You’re the one with the money.”

I turned to Ned. “If people know about Kyle’s and my friendship, will that…of course, it will.” I said, answering my own question. “I would gladly pay a billion bucks to keep him safe.”

“And your concern is what exactly?” Ned asked.

“Well, he said he would ask for the time away.” I started. “But if people see us, partying and behaving as the life-long friends we are, he won’t be able to go back to his life before.” I shook my head. “I can’t do that to him. We’ll try to give you the light banter, but I won’t hurt Kyle.”

Kyle put both hands over his heart and gave me mockingly sweet look. “You do love me.”

I shoved him away playfully. “Did you doubt that?” I said growling. “But I’m serious. This could put your life in danger. And your future.”

Ned nodded. “He’s right.” Ned agreed seriously.

“I’m a big boy,” Kyle grumbled.

“Against an armed assault?” Ned asked. “The attack could be from anyone, a crazed maniac to North Koreans.”

“But wouldn’t the coverage show them that would be a suicidal attempt?” Kyle asked.

Karen gave a shaking nod. “Crazies would only see it as international exposure. With those in the Middle East, it would only be something they would use.” She gave a sympathetic smile. “It’s still possible to back out.”

Kyle grabbed my arm. “Don’t do it.” He pulled me closer. “You were given this prize for a reason.” He was searching for words. “I know it. God or whatever wants you to do something, but don’t just throw it away.” He threw his hands up. “Hell, I’ll quit if necessary.”

I looked at him. “That’s a little drastic.”

“But if seeing me with you makes me a target…I won’t let you.”

I sighed. “The truth is…anyone connected to me will feel that.” I explained. “I can take care of Susan. It will certainly make it hard to form a relationship with anyone. So, unless you plan on changing so I can spend my life with you…”

Kyle looked confused. “What are you talking about? We do already.”

I frowned. “I want a partner.”

Kyle gave a nod, slowly getting what I was saying. “So, our talks to all hours of the night aren’t enough.” I shrugged. He sighed. “Okay, we’ll have sex.”

I groaned. “I don’t want to have sex with you, Numbnuts,” I muttered frustrated. “But perhaps with someone. Someone that would give it meaning.”

“I don’t understand.” Kyle shook his head.

“You don’t long to be with me,” I said. “Not really. The desire to be with someone.” I gave him a sad smile. “Why do you think it hurt so badly when Susan left me? I thought I had that.”

Karen walked up. “Guys, you need rest. Order a meal and get some sleep. You can discuss this further later.”

I nodded. “Let’s see the other bedrooms.”

Eric wins a world-wide lottery! He and his life-long friend go to collect the winnings
Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Personally, I don't believe in lotteries. Big waste of money.

 

But I do like the California Lottery ads. California Dreaming' is the soundtrack. White ping-pong balls fall from the sky in slow motion. A guy holds out his hand and a red ping-pong ball drops right into his palm. He smiles as he looks up into the sky…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/27/2016 01:11 AM, droughtquake said:

Personally, I don't believe in lotteries. Big waste of money.

 

But I do like the California Lottery ads. California Dreaming' is the soundtrack. White ping-pong balls fall from the sky in slow motion. A guy holds out his hand and a red ping-pong ball drops right into his palm. He smiles as he looks up into the sky…

This story is less about winning the lottery and more about the reactions of those around him. Will his friend remain loyal? If he finds love, is it really love of him, or the money. His life changes so radically, will he change? Will anyone be the same? I'll let you know, he finds a boyfriend that is different. Is it love?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Absolutely loving this ... Eric is great and seems a vulnerable type of guy, maybe because of the divorce. I can relate to that! Loving the Eric vs Kyle banter ... Looking forward to more. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Okay so when I first started reading on this site I never commented, but im reading things again and commenting this time I really like this story but of course you know ,Reric, I like all of your stuff. Now I'm back to read again. I love the interplay with kyle it's very funny. Can't wait till I get to the new stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Lizzydolphin37 said:

Okay so when I first started reading on this site I never commented, but im reading things again and commenting this time I really like this story but of course you know ,Reric, I like all of your stuff. Now I'm back to read again. I love the interplay with kyle it's very funny. Can't wait till I get to the new stuff.

It's coming!  I swear!  I'm doing a certain wedding.  Then, I need to get back to another wedding.  The performer that has a movie coming up.  I am exhausted!!!   I'm very happy.  :yes:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, R. Eric said:

It's coming!  I swear!  I'm doing a certain wedding.  Then, I need to get back to another wedding.  The performer that has a movie coming up.  I am exhausted!!!   I'm very happy.  :yes:

Sorry your getting exhausted I promise your fans won't hate you if you need a break.😂  Also were you alluding to a makrovian wedding🤔😍😍?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Lizzydolphin37 said:

Also were you alluding to a makrovian wedding

You got it.  The mass wedding is first.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Karen Walker, eh? I wonder if we'll see a Jack McFarland too. Loving the story so far, very unique and fun!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Eric I agree with you I’v never won a prize, well some sweet ore candles with Christmas but not the big ones. But the story can make all of us dream😇😴

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..