Jump to content
    Redsunshine
  • Author
  • 1,663 Words
  • 4,953 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Barely Existing - 3. Chapter 3

Gavin dodged around the groups of people littered around the dance floor, steadily making his way to the table where his friends sat. Tate’s words kept repeating in his head. He didn't know if he could handle this again. He fought the urge to look over his shoulder at Tate.

“You started without me?” He asked, scowling when he saw the table his friends sat at. Shot glasses and beer bottles littered the surface. In return everyone called out a greeting to him, the effects of the alcohol already clear.

“Dude!” Crys cried. She threw back her blonde hair and raised her arms in the air above her head. He laughed and wrapped an arm around her neck giving her a squeeze.

“How many have you had?” He asked her with a smile.

“More than she should of.” Eric, Crystal’s boyfriend answered, tugging a lock of her hair.

“Not nearly enough.” She quipped.

He looked at Eric and they booth shook their heads. He clapped Eric on the shoulder. “Good to see ya man.”

Eric returned the friendly gesture. “You too. Got you a beer. It shouldn't be too warm.” Eric nodded his chin to the seat beside Crys.

Gavin hopped onto the pub style chair and kicked the one beside him out for Tate. “Guys, meet my new neighbor Tate. Tate, this is Crystal, Eric, Rick, Tim, Adam, Rachel, Brian, and you've already met Lex.”

Tate scooted the chair closer than necessary and Gavin refused to react. He took a sip of his very warm beer and looked around the bar. Tate wanted the younger man’s attention; he was tired of being ignored. He moved a booted foot to rest between Gavin’s feet, entwining their legs. He hid a smile behind his beer bottle when he felt Gavin tense up.

“Who needs a drink?” Gavin asked as he pushed away from the table, forcing Tate to release him. He took his friends orders and quickly made his escape towards bar.

“You didn't think you could get away from me that easily did you?” Tate teased, startling Gavin.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Right.” Tate drawled out. “So what did I do?”

“What did you do?”

“Yes, what did I do that made you angry?”

“I’m not angry.”

“Uh-huh.” Tate chuckled. “Let’s skip this game okay? You were fine when we arrived, but by the time we got to your friends, you weren't. I’m assuming it’s something I said or did that upset you. So what did I do?”

Gavin sighed and looked at Tate. “I’m honestly not angry at you. I just, I don’t know. I’m attracted to you and you admitted that I wouldn't be enough and I don’t think I can do it again.” Gavin babbled.

“You think I’m sexy.” Tate teased, smirking. Gavin simply rolled his eyes in response. “Okay, seriously, why do you think you wouldn't be enough?”

“You’re bisexual.”

“Well, I see how you would think that, but I’m not bisexual.”

“Seriously? You told me you like men and women.”

“No I told you I've been with men and women. I’m beginning to think you didn't really listen to what I was telling you.”

“I listened.”

“Well, really hear me this time. I have been with men, I have been with women, and like I said, I have been with both. But I’m not really attracted to women.” Tate ran a hand through his hair in agitation. “I don’t really know how to explain this.

“This is why I don’t like labels. People focus on them, trying to force you into a nice neat box. I’m not bisexual. If you need to describe my sexuality, I would be considered gay. I meant what I said though. I've never felt this connection or this intense attraction with anyone else. You can’t do what again?”

“So…you’re not bisexual?” Gavin asked, staring up into Tate’s green eyes.

“No.”

“You don’t want other women?”

“Are you saying you wouldn't be enough to keep me occupied?” Tate teased.

Gavin slugged Tate’s arm. “Come on, we've got drinks to buy.”

The two men stepped in one of the long lines at the bar. Tate turned towards Gavin. “Are we good now?”

“Yeah, we’re good.”

“You’re no longer mad at me?”

“I wasn't mad at you!” Tate only smirked at Gavin. “Whatever. Even understanding what you meant earlier doesn't mean we’re on the same page. Yes, I’m attracted to you, but I’m not looking for a casual hook up. Been there, done that, and I’m tired of that scene.”

“Hey. Look at me.” Gavin turned his head and looked at Tate. “I know I can come on too strong sometimes, but I didn't intend to. I can be kind of blunt and I have been told many times I am not a very subtle person. When I want something, I go after and I want you. Maybe I shouldn't have been so upfront about it, “Tate shrugged, “but that’s how I am. You’re an extremely sexy man and I’m very attracted to you. I want the chance to get to know you better. Will you let me do that?”

“You want to get to know me?” Gavin raised an eyebrow at Tate. “You only want to get to know me.”

“For now, yes. I’m not saying I’m not interested in more, because I definitely am, but it’s too soon with you. Let me take you out sometime. I’ll give you my number, you say when and where. Seriously, I don’t know a damn thing about this town, so you’ll definitely have to say where.” Tate grinned.

Gavin studied him for a moment before nodding in agreement. “Yeah, okay.”

“Let me see your phone and I’ll give you my number.” Tate held his hand out, and after a brief pause, Gavin laid his phone into the man’s large hand. He watched Tate’s finger move on the phone’s screen before it was handed back to him. “Okay, I’m in your contacts now. I sent a text to my phone so I have your number. “

“Okay.” Gavin nodded.

The line moved along, and as lines tend to do, it felt as if they’d been waiting hours before they were able served. They had just made it back to their table when the lights lowered and multicolored beams danced around the stage. The crowd started screaming and the band immediately started into a song.

As the music played, some of their group disappeared into the crowd on the dance floor. Tate and Gavin stayed at the table and sipped their beers. Tate again had his leg entwined with Gavin’s, but this time Gavin didn't mind so much. The two men were leaning in close together, chatting over the loud banging music. Tate had to admit the band rocked, but he was more interested in the guy sitting beside him. A stool banged into his, but he ignored it.

The young man fascinated him. He sat there bobbing to the music, slowly opening up to him as they talked. Gavin had his shit together in a way that surprised him. He hadn't even had his priorities lined up until just a few years ago. He wondered if Gavin was as young as he looked and was about to open his mouth to ask when he felt a hand slid up his thigh. Anger rushed through Tate and he tensed. He turned to see who was intruding on the private bubble he had created for Gavin and himself.

“Hey.” A young man, about Gavin’s age, sat close to Tate, biting his lip.

Tate simply glared back, jerked his chin and pushed the hand off his thigh. He turned back to Gavin, only to notice that Gavin’s body had stiffened and the look he was giving the other man was anything but friendly. Tate leaned forward, cuffing a hand behind Gavin’s neck, forcing Gavin’s gaze to his own.

“What’s wrong?” He asked softly, his gaze searching Gavin’s.

Before Gavin could respond, the hand slid around Tate’s hip, heading toward his inner thigh. Tate growled low in his throat. Tate stood beside Gavin’s chair, without moving his hand. He was surprised Gavin hadn't said anything about it. “Man, what the fuck? Can you not see I’m with someone?” Tate jerked his head toward Gavin. Okay, so maybe he wasn't with Gavin, but it was obvious the two men were there together. It might not a date, but no one else would know that unless they were sitting at their table.

The unfamiliar man slowly grinned. “What? Gavin and I always share.” He purred, sliding off of his chair, easing towards Tate.

“Fuck off. I’m not interested.” Tate growled. The man simply smiled at Tate and winked at Gavin before disappearing into the crowd. “Who the hell was that?” Tate grumbled, looking down at Gavin. Gavin’s brown bedroom eyes were filled with painful memories and he trembled slightly beneath Tate’s hand.

“That,” Gavin nodded to where the man had disappeared into the crowd, “was what I meant when I said I couldn't do this again.”

Thanks for reading. I tried to take in consideration the advice given to me in previous reviews when writing this chapter. I know I probably still have some errors, but hopefully it won't take away from the story. :P
Copyright © 2015 Redsunshine; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

oohhh what is up with that ex? Tate had a right to give Gavin attitude now after that comment, but I think he is not jumping to conclusions like Gavin did. What is this share thing? I thought he implied the ex was straight or bi?

I'm intrigued by Tate. How old is he? What is his story? Where is he from? Lookin forward to learning more about him.

Link to comment

Ohhh, a were-bear.... can I have one for Christmas please. :*)

Seriously tho, great start so far, so many questions and looking forward the answers being unravelled in the forthcoming chapters. Good work. :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 12/08/2013 10:08 PM, DragonFire said:
Ohhh, a were-bear.... can I have one for Christmas please. :*)

Seriously tho, great start so far, so many questions and looking forward the answers being unravelled in the forthcoming chapters. Good work. :2thumbs:

That's what I asked Santa for ;-) Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Chapter 4 is in works and I'll have it out soon.
Link to comment
On 12/05/2013 06:13 PM, Cannd said:
oohhh what is up with that ex? Tate had a right to give Gavin attitude now after that comment, but I think he is not jumping to conclusions like Gavin did. What is this share thing? I thought he implied the ex was straight or bi?

I'm intrigued by Tate. How old is he? What is his story? Where is he from? Lookin forward to learning more about him.

I'll reveal more in chapter four. It's currently a work in process so hopefully it'll be out soon:-) Thank you for your review
Link to comment

Gavin has a friend named Rick and an ex named Rick ? Tate implied he had been with a man and woman at once, so I don't think the "sharing" thing would surprise, upset him, would it ? I think Tate just didn't like the interruption.

Link to comment
On 12/10/2013 03:51 AM, Foster said:
Gavin has a friend named Rick and an ex named Rick ? Tate implied he had been with a man and woman at once, so I don't think the "sharing" thing would surprise, upset him, would it ? I think Tate just didn't like the interruption.
Gavin only has a friend named Rick, which the new man is not. It was something I missed in editing and it has been corrected. Thank you :-). In chapter 4 you'll find out what Tate is thinking/feeling and I'll be revealing more about Gavin and Tate's past in the upcoming chapters. Thank you for your review.
Link to comment

The interloper sure caused a flurry of anger to erupt. Can't wait to see what and who this person has to do with Gavin, and why do I feel TAte would've throttled him if he'd hung around much longer. lol

Link to comment

Ex trying to stir things up? He'd better have a small spoon since he'll get clobbered with it! That growl said it all!

Link to comment
On 03/09/2014 09:45 PM, Smoothy said:
Ex trying to stir things up? He'd better have a small spoon since he'll get clobbered with it! That growl said it all!
I've never heard that expression before, but I seriously love it. You gotta love a character that growls ;-) Thanks for leaving a review.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..