Jump to content
    Redsunshine
  • Author
  • 1,705 Words
  • 4,662 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Barely Existing - 4. Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Tate glared at the crowd on the dance floor. He didn't know who the hell that was, but he was responsible for the pain clouding his mate’s eyes and that pissed him the fuck off. His bear pushed towards the surface wanting blood and demanding they do something, anything, to take that haunted look out of his eyes. Tate gazed down at Gavin’s, pushed back the anger.

****

Earlier that morning…

Dressed only in game shorts that hung low and loose on his hips, Tate stepped out on his back deck. The early morning spring air still held a nip but the morning was clear and the fresh. He looked around his back yard and smiled proudly to himself. It had taken nearly ten years, but finally Tate had a place to call his own and he was no longer stuck in Knoxville. As of yesterday he was officially a home owner.

His new home sat on six acres of land, which backed onto the national forest. The front and back yards were framed by a thick covering of trees ensuring the house was not visible from the road or his neighbors. Of course, the acre, half of which he owned, that separated him from his neighbors helped him maintain his privacy.

Tate stretched his arms above his head then slipped off his game shorts. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes summoning his second form. Moments later, he landed on all four legs and shook his heavy form. The large body shifted side to side as it trudged into the woods, eager to explore his new territory.

The bear covered his entire property, rubbing against the trees, marking his territory. As he reached the edge of his property, a scent filled the air, capturing his attention. The bear breathed deep, committing it to memory. It called to him, so he followed it. He came upon a small clearing and there he was, the man meant to be his. His father had always told him, when he found his mate, he would know, and as Tate stared at the flesh colored blob, he knew. Tate never had a complaint about his bear shape until now. Looking at the form that was his mate, he cursed his bear’s nearsighted vision.

Tate longed to move closer, he longed to actually see his mate, but he didn't move a muscle. Time lost meaning as he stood there admiring the flesh colored blob that was his mate. Then he shifted and Tate sensed the man had spotted him. He never moved though, so Tate settled for a few minutes and watched his mate. He could hear his mate’s racing heart, and that mouth watering scent had shifted, revealing his fear and excitement. Tate stood and forced himself to walk away. It was the hardest thing he ever had to do. Everything in him screamed for him to go back, to claim the man, but he couldn't. He knew his mate was human, and more than likely had no knowledge that there were beings that existed which were not exactly human.

He was greeted by two of his brothers when he returned home. Tate quickly shifted and pulled his game shorts on. Naturally, his brothers teased him about being caught with his pants down. It wasn't uncommon for shifters to be nude around each other. Unless you liked replacing your wardrobe monthly or getting tangled up in your clothing, you needed to undress before you shifted. He smacked both of his younger brothers across the back of their heads before he headed into the kitchen. He greeted his sister and sister in law while he made a pot of coffee.

The siblings split his to-do list. The brothers tackled painting the living room, master bedroom and master bathroom while his sisters cleaned. The day passed quickly, and by that evening they all were hot, sweaty and tired. The brothers were covered in paint head to toe and were still laughing at their last paint war. The women simply shook their head, thankful they didn't have paint splatters to clean up.

His brother Brad announced he was ready to hit the road. He grabbed his wife Lisa, pressing their bodies together. She shrieked and giggled, protesting while he carried her to their truck. Their sister Brandy, Brad’s twin, safe in her car, waved goodbye as she backed out of the drive. Tavin, Tate’s twin, clapped him on the shoulder before jumping in his own truck and heading back to their parent’s home.

Tate watched as everyone pulled out of his driveway before he walked back into his house. After you walked through the front door, you stood in a short hallway. There was a coat closet and half bath on the right and to the left there was one of two entrances into the formal dining room. The living room was completely open to the kitchen.

He admired the freshly painted rooms, pleased with his sister’s choices. She had begged him to let her decorate his new home when he announced he was buying and he agreed. His sister had a knack for design, she knew his likes and dislikes and most of all he trusted her. He was pleased with the colors she picked.

They had painted what she referred to as an accent wall a rich warm shade of chocolate. The other walls had been painted with a much lighter shade of brown and it bled into the kitchen. It was warm, inviting, and though she had told him hundreds of times, he had no idea what the colors names were. He walked up the stairs to his master bedroom, which was painted a pleasant shade of grey. His air mattress had been blown up and his bed had been made. He knew that had been purely his sister in law. She was such a thoughtful sweet person.

Tate started the shower, letting the water warm as he undressed. He placed his paint stained clothes in a bag before stepping under the hot spray. The water beat down on his back and shoulders, and he let the heat soak into his muscles. He scrubbed the sweat and grime from his body, his mind on this morning.

All day he had avoided of thinking of that scent, of the man he almost saw this morning. Now that he was alone again, it was all he could think about. Oh god, that scent. He closed his eyes and groaned, his dick twitching. He could no longer wait. He jumped out of shower and dressed. He grabbed his keys and ran out to his truck. Finally, he was finally going to meet his other half. After twenty-eight years, he was going to meet the man that would complete him.

He swallowed hard when he pulled into his neighbor’s driveway. He was about to meet him, his other half. What if he was married? What if he wasn't gay? His stomach was twisted in knots. He stepped out of his truck, his heart in his throat.

A soft masculine voice called out to him and Tate’s dick immediately started to harden. Shit, this is going to be harder than I thought, pun intended. He could make out the form leaning against a SUV at the side of the house. The sun was setting behind him, giving the smaller man an ethereal glow. He’s perfect. Tate nearly swallowed his tongue. He had never seen such a beautiful, sexy man before. Everything about him called out to Tate, in a way it probably wouldn't for many others.

He had to be about five ten. He had a lean swimmer’s physique. His hair was the color of a dark caramel, just long enough to run your fingers through and styled in a faux hawk. He had a small gauge in one ear, and a pair of black framed glasses. He screamed nerd and Tate had always had a thing for sexy little nerds, or at least he did now. Tate stood before him now, staring into those chocolate bedroom eyes and was hooked. Gavin asked him if he wanted to go with him to a local bar, and Tate wanted to jump for joy. Maybe I can get him to dance with me. Fuck I hope he’s gay.

*****

“Are you mad at me?” Gavin’s soft voice asked. Tate pulled back from his recollection and looked down at his beautiful mate.

“Of course not.” Tate spoke gently, and rubbed his thumb along Gavin’s jaw. “Why would I be mad at you? You haven’t done anything.”

Gavin shrugged. “Just…I don’t know…it seems as if you are mad.”

“Oh I am, but not at you. I’m mad at whoever that was. I’m mad that we were finally able to start getting to know one another then he comes along, and ruins the mood. I’m pissed that what he said, hurt you.”

Gavin stared off at the dance floor, lost somewhere in the past. Tate simply stood there, letting Gavin have his moment. He never broke contact with the other man though. Gavin looked back at Tate, his eyes clouded with memories.

“Don’t believe him okay?”

“I don’t.”

“We never shared. Or I never shared with him. Not with anyone. Not willingly.”

Tate nodded, as he listened to Gavin. He had an idea about where this was going, but he wasn't going to push Gavin into telling him more than he was ready. “Okay babe. You want to talk, I want to listen. But right now, here, we don’t have to go there. If you want to tell me, then tell me when you’re ready. Not gonna rush you on this.”

Gavin looked up into Tate’s eyes and nodded. “Okay. I will tell you, just not tonight.”

“Alright. Like I said, whenever you’re ready baby. Now, why don’t we forget about him and have some fun. Come dance with me.” Tate wiggled his eyebrows up and down. Gavin grinned while nodding. He let Tate pull him onto the dance floor.

I'm sorry I'm so late posting this. It's been a crazy week. I'll try to have chapter 5 ready soon. I feel as if I've read this five million times, but I have no doubt I've made some errors. If you have tips on how I could make my next chapter easier or more enjoyable to read, please let me know. Thanks for reading!! Oh, and this chapter might leave you with millions of questions, but I swear more of this will make sense as I go! :D
Copyright © 2015 Redsunshine; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Like the chapter. could have been a little longer though. Good beginning introduction of Tate's family dynamics. The point of view of the "bear" on that first meeting was good. Good set up to Gavin's story. Curious as to why he said 'not willingly'. next chapter please.

Link to comment

I am thoroughly enjoying this story, but I agree that the chapters could be a little longer. Then again I want to know more about our two lovebirds!

Link to comment
On 12/16/2013 07:35 AM, LadyDe said:
Like the chapter. could have been a little longer though. Good beginning introduction of Tate's family dynamics. The point of view of the "bear" on that first meeting was good. Good set up to Gavin's story. Curious as to why he said 'not willingly'. next chapter please.
I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. It will come out soon why Gavin responded the way he did when Tate stated he wasn't into labels and why he didn't "share willingly". I'll work to make chapter 5 longer, but I'm not sure how much longer since I try to publish a chapter a week. Thank you for your review!
Link to comment
On 12/18/2013 07:10 AM, Normischell said:
I am thoroughly enjoying this story, but I agree that the chapters could be a little longer. Then again I want to know more about our two lovebirds!
I am glad you are enjoying the story! I am currently working on chapter 5 and will try to make it longer. It depends on how much writing time I can squeeze in. I plan on chapter 5 being available by Friday ( I hope). Thank you for your review!
Link to comment

Tate has quite the "bear" family. You handled their introduction beautifully with the lighthearted interchange between the brothers.

Gavin evidently has a reason to have a bad taste in his mouth on relationships :/

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..