Jump to content
    Redsunshine
  • Author
  • 3,932 Words
  • 4,363 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Barely Existing - 8. Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Hand in hand, Tate and Gavin walked to Gavin’s parked SUV. Once they reached the driver side Gavin turned to Tate, unsure what to do next. Do I hug him? Kiss him goodbye? Clearing up the confusion, Tate gathered the other man into his arms. Their lips met in a brief and tender kiss before the larger man pulled away. Then, with a kiss pressed to the side of Gavin’s neck and a slap on his ass, Tate was gone.

Gavin stared dumbfounded, watching the other man walk away. Did he just…in front of his family…what the hell? A snickering Eric pulled Gavin’s focus from Tate. He turned and glared at his friend. Traitor.

“Anything you want to talk about?” Eric sniggered.

“Oh shut up.” Gavin hopped into the SUV and pulled out of the driveway, Crys rumbling behind them.

“Have fun with Tate?”

“Shut. Up. Your woman has a big mouth.” Eric simply laughed before the topic was dropped.

They rolled the windows down, opened the sunroof, and cranked up the volume. Rock music blared from the speakers as they drove to the local supermarket. Gavin pulled into an empty spot, and Crys parked beside them. They could hear pop music pumping out of the sporty car’s after market speakers. Crys popped out of the low car, a happy smile on her face and her hair a tangled, windblown mess.

Gavin smiled at her from where they waited for her at the back of the car. “Have fun?”

“That car fucking rocks!” She yelled.

“Geeze Crys.” Gavin and Eric laughed at her enthusiasm. Crys grinned back at them before linking her arms through theirs as they walked into the store.

***

The groceries had been unloaded from the car and put away. Everyone was busy in the kitchen, preparing food. Eric prepared beef patties, Crys sliced fruit for a fruit salad, and Gavin cleaned corn on the cob that they would later cook on the grill. Summer squash sat in folded aluminum foil, prepared for the meal to come.

The doorbell rang. Eric and Crys both looked up at Gavin questioningly. Gavin shrugged, unsure who it was. He rinsed corn silk off his hands and dried them on a nearby dish towel. As he walked to the door, the bell rang again.

“Hold on.” Gavin called. He glanced out the window and saw his sister Kayla and her husband Logan standing on the porch. He quickly opened the door and motioned them in, happy to see them.

“Kayla!” Gavin grabbed his sister in a hug and pressed a kiss to her cheek. “You look beautiful.” He turned to Logan, slapping the other man’s hand before giving it a squeeze. “It’s great to see y’all. What are you doing here?”

Kayla bounced on her toes, excitement radiating from her. “Oh, we were just in the neighborhood.”

Logan gazed down in amusement at his wife. Gavin’s house was well off the beaten path. “I hope we’re not interrupting anything. We should have called first.” He said to Gavin.

“No! Crys and Eric are in the kitchen. We were just…” Gavin trailed off when his phone dinged from his pocket, alerting him to a new text. Kayla swayed from side to side and Gavin noticed she held her phone clasped in her hand. Her face was too innocent.

Gavin opened the message from his sister to find a picture of a skinny white stick sitting on a counter. In the small window, bold black letters showed the word pregnant. Happiness spread through Gavin and his eyes clouded with tears. His sister and her husband had been trying for a while to conceive. He knew how much they wanted this.

“I’m going to be an uncle?” He choked out.

Kayla was smiling, tears running down her cheeks and Logan was beaming. They both nodded. Gavin hugged them. “Congratulations! I’m so happy for both of you.”

Just then Crys walked into the room. “Hey, what’s going on?” Crys froze noting the tears on Kayla’s face. “What’s wrong?” She wrapped herself around Kayla, trying to comfort her.

“Nothing.” Kayla hiccupped. The two women had always been close. Crys had claimed Kayla as her sister a long time ago.

“Then why are you crying?” His best friend sounded close to tears herself.

Kayla looked up at Logan and he nodded. “I’m pregnant.”

“No way, no way, no way!” Crys squealed and began jumping up and down, arms still wrapped around Kayla.

“What is all this noise? Crys, inside voice!” Eric scolded.

“I’m going to be an aunt!” Crys squealed even louder.

“Oh good grief woman. Let the little momma go already before you damage her.” Eric teased. He shook Logan’s hand. “Congratulations man.”

Crys’ face twisted in worry and she quickly took a step away from Kayla. “Oh my god. Are you okay? Did I hurt you?” She gasped. “Did I hurt the baby?”

Kayla and Logan laughed. “No the baby is fine. It’s very well protected.” She smiled softly at her brother’s close friends.

“Come on into the kitchen. You can hang out with us while we finish getting the food ready.” Gavin wrapped his arm around his sister’s shoulders and walked her towards the breakfast nook. He settled her at the small table with a glass of water.

“So what’s with all this food?” Kayla asked as she glanced around the kitchen. “You have enough to feed an army.”

“Only an army?” Crys frowned but her eyes sparkled with mischief. “Maybe we should fix more.” Gavin rolled his eyes at her and she snorted in return.

Kayla looked back and forth between the two in confusion. “Huh?”

“Girl, you should see the men coming over for dinner. Fah-reakin’ huge. No lie.”

“Who is coming over?” Kayla asked Gavin.

Gavin and Crys responded at the same time. “My new neighbor. I invited him and his family over for a cook out.”

“Gavin’s new boyfriend.”

“You’re dating your neighbor?”

“No.” Gavin glared at Crys. “He’s moving in today. I just met him yesterday. He’s new to the area.”

“Tate and Gavin leaning on a tree. K.I.S.S.I.N.G.” Crys sang.

“Shut it Crys!” Gavin’s face burned hot in embarrassment when he heard Eric and Logan laughing.

“Tate’s your new neighbor?”

“Yup, and he’s hot for our little Gavin.” Crys answered.

“Can we drop it?” Gavin asked exasperated.

“No.” Crys giggled. “Tate’s mom and I caught the two of them having quite the moment. There were sparks flying everywhere. I was afraid they would break out in flames.”

“Would you just shut up?” Gavin shouted at Crys. Everyone turned to him in surprise. Usually the laid back person in their group, Gavin rarely reacted in anger and it was even rarer when it was directed at one of them. Crys started to speak, Gavin’s anger not registering with her yet.

“Crys, lay off.” Eric demanded. She jerked her head towards him and glared. Eric shook his head and nodded towards Gavin who looked pissed and miserable.

She quickly felt remorseful as she realized she had pushed it too far. She walked over to Gavin and hugged him. “I’m sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. I didn't think.” She cuddled Gavin. “I’m really sorry.” She whispered.

His anger vanished and Gavin kissed the top of Crys’ head. He gave her a tight hug. “It’s okay.” His friend could be outrageous, but he knew she did not mean to be cruel. She smiled up at him, relief visible in her eyes. She gave him a quick hug and walked back to her fruit salad.

The room remained silent and the weight of everyone’s gazes pressed heavily on Gavin. He could feel the expectation for an answer he was not ready to provide. An answer he did not even know himself.

“I’m going to go check the grill.” He muttered, needing an excuse to escape their attention. As soon as he stepped through the patio doors onto the deck, heat and humidity hit him. No matter how long you lived in the south, you never get used to the humidity he thought as he took a deep breath.

He wiped the sweat already prickling his forehead away with the bottom of his shirt. The heat stung his bare feet as he crossed the composite planks on the deck. He patted the four-sectioned, heavy black grill. It was a beast with a large charcoal and gas cooking area. The wood smoker and the infrared sear burner he had yet to use. He was a man who liked his toys, and his grill was a summer time necessity.

He lifted the lid, checking that both grill areas were clean and ready to use when he heard the door click closed behind him. He sighed before looking at the grill one last time. Satisfied it was ready to be used, he closed the lid. He took a deep breath, turned and came face to face with his sister.

Her eyes searched his. “You okay?”

He nodded. “Yeah, I’m alright.”

“Sorry, I know we overwhelmed you.”

He shrugged. He did not know what else to say. He could not deny it because it was true. They had overwhelmed him. He knew he had not like he had hid it very well.

“So Tate huh?” Her tone turned teasing.

“Oh don’t start that again.” Gavin rolled his eyes.

She smiled at him and swatted his arm. “I’m not. But if you want to talk…”

He smiled back at her. “I know where to find you.”

“Exactly!” Kayla beamed at him. “You know I love you.”

“I know. I love you too.” He did. She did not completely understand him and he did not completely understand her, but they accepted each other for who they were. She was the only family he had that he knew would always have his back. “Alright. Let’s go back in. I need to make sure everything is ready for when everyone gets here. Y’all are staying right?” He asked knowing the invitation was implied. If his sister and Logan visited him, they were always automatically included in his plans. They treated him the same way.

“Duh. Like I’m going to give up the chance to see your new hottie.” Kayla teased. Side by side the brother and sister walked back in to the house, bickering in the way only siblings do.

***

Crys, Kayla, Logan and Eric were hanging out in the living room. Everything was in order for the cookout. Gavin had just placed the freshly brewed sweet tea in the refrigerator when his phone vibrated on the granite countertop. He closed the door and checked his messages.

Tate: On our way.

Gavin: See you soon.

Suddenly nervous, Gavin wiped his damp palms down the front of his pant legs and joined his family and friends. Tate was going to be on his turf and that fact should have brought him comfort. Instead, he doubted every move he had made since they had met. He criticized everything he had done or said. Would Tate like his house? Would his family? Did he fix enough food? Did he fix the right food?

Pressure on his hand jerked him out of the train wreck his thoughts were quickly becoming. He looked up and met the understanding gaze of his sister. “Don’t worry.” She whispered. “It’ll be ok.”

He gripped her hands in appreciation and nodded his head. The sound of rumbling alerted them to the motorcade pulling into the driveway. His stomach plummeted in uncertainty and his heart leapt in excitement. He stood and made his way to the door, his friends and family surrounding him, waiting to greet the man he was strongly attracted to. He could no longer deny that he was quickly becoming attached.

He opened the door, and everyone stepped out onto the porch. Tate was the first to reach them. Gavin could not deny the pang of disappointment at seeing that fine chest covered by a t-shirt. The grey material stretched obscenely over the broad shoulders. Inside of an outline of a bear, were big, bold black letters proclaiming Bears Do It Better.

Big arms surrounded him in a gentle hug and once again Gavin was given the pleasure of taking in everything Tate. The man still smelled good enough to eat. He had not showered since earlier but his scent had not staled or soured. Gavin hummed contently before pulling away and smiling brightly at Tate. His earlier fears and worries now eased.

He looked down at Tate’s shirt before looking up and meeting his gaze. “I wouldn’t necessarily call you a bear.” Brad snorted and Gavin heard him grunt after as Michael smacked him on the back of his head. Curious, Gavin moved to peer around Tate only to be stopped by the arm encircling his shoulders.

“Ignore him. I do.” Tate’s voice rumbled out in amusement.

Gavin nodded at the t-shirt. “Another gift?”

“Nope.” Tate stated proudly. “I picked this one out myself. I like bears. The animal bear not the man bear. Not that there’s anything wrong with that either.” Tate rambled on. It was a side Gavin had not seen of the confident man he had come to know. It was cute.

“I got ya.” Gavin smiled up at the tall man, getting a soft laugh in return.

Kayla elbowed Gavin’s ribs. “Oh, yeah. Sorry.” Gavin blushed. “Tate, this is my sister Kayla and her husband Logan.” Gavin introduced Logan and Kayla to the rest of Tate’s family before ushering everyone inside. Gavin hugged Michael and Kathy and shook hands with Tavin and Brad. Polite greetings were shared before Crys and Kathy took up like two old friends. For the first time since Gavin had purchased his home, laughter and people filled the space. It should have been stressful. He had convinced himself earlier he would be uncomfortable. Instead, he felt satisfied.

“Okay, drinks. Who wants something to drink?” With Logan and Eric’s help, Gavin took requests. After his second trip back into the kitchen, Gavin found Eric pouring a can of beer straight into a red, plastic cup.

“No, not like that.” Gavin smiled at Eric and took the can and cup away from him. “If you’re not easy, the beer will foam up and form a head. Trust me you don’t want head.”

“I’m pretty sure I do.” Tate’s voice rumbled behind him causing Gavin to startle. He turned and looked at Tate over his shoulder. The meaning of what Tate said hit him when he saw that teasing, familiar smirk.

Gavin flushed red and jerked back around. “Whatever.” He muttered. He sat the frothy beer down and grabbed a fresh can out of the refrigerator. Ignoring Tate he turned back to Eric. He tipped the cup sideways before gently pouring the beer, letting the golden liquid slowly cascade over the ridges of the plastic cup.

“It always fizzes up a little, but I usually can keep it from frothing up much.” Gavin handed the cup to Eric.

“How did you know to do that?” Tate looked curiously at Gavin while Eric left the kitchen.

“My dad. Growing up, he went through a few cases a week. He’d come home from work, sit down in his chair, and call Kayla or me to fetch him a beer. I knew how to mix a good Red Eye before I was six.” Gavin avoided Tate’s gaze.

“Was he an alcoholic?”

Gavin paused and looked up at the ceiling thinking hard. “Maybe? I’m not really sure. I mean, I don’t remember him being drunk, but I don’t remember him not drinking either. Drinking beer was a nightly ritual, and it was never one or two. I know he hit the liquor on the weekend.”

“Does he still drink?”

“Yeah. He is an alcoholic now. Not that he or mom will admit to it. But it’s nothing for him to go through a couple gallons of bottom shelf bourbon a week.” Gavin shook his head, trying to chase the negative thoughts away. “But anyway I need to get the grill started. You can come with me or hang out in here. I won’t be long.”

Tate followed him out and leaned against the deck railing. He watched Gavin as he used the chimney starter to heat the briquettes. When he had Gavin’s attention again, Tate looked pointedly at the plastic cup in his hand and met Gavin’s gaze. He started humming a song.

Gavin groaned. “Oh not you too. Crys was singing that fucking song when I bought the damn things. Who the hell can make a song about a red plastic cup?”

Tate laughed. “I take it you are not a fan.”

Gavin shook his head and gave a rueful laugh. “No. You know, I really liked that singer before he came out with that song. Now? Not so much.”

Tate chuckled. “Me too. I was so glad when the radio stopped playing it. It was so fucking stupid and so damned catchy. It would get stuck in my head every time I heard it.” Just then Crys stepped onto the porch singing the song they were just complaining about. Tate and Gavin looked at each other and laughed.

“Y’all need something to drink?” She asked.

“I need a refill.” Tate admitted looking at his empty cup. “Need anything babe?” He asked Gavin.

“Can I get a bottle of water please?”

“I’ll get it. Crys, can you show me where the water is?” Tate followed her inside while Gavin monitored the grills. Shortly after, Tate came back with their drinks. He resumed his position against the deck railing. They idly chatted, sometimes just the two of them and other times with whoever had stepped out.

Once both grills were ready, Gavin and Tate went in and grabbed the food. The guys followed them back out and stood around the grills while the food cooked. Gavin poked and prodded a smile on his face, while he listened to the conversation going on around him. He was content to stand there, cook for everyone, and just listen. Tate stood close to him the entire time. With a look or a touch he subtly let Gavin know that while he may be quiet, he had not been forgotten.

With one final poke and one final flip Gavin announced “Food is ready.”

***

The night was slowly coming to an end. The food had been devoured and the kitchen had been cleaned. Kayla and Logan were the first to leave and Gavin could not blame her. She had admitted earlier that the baby was keeping her tired. She kissed his cheek and yawned. With a pointed look at Tate, she gave him two thumbs up and a wicked smile before letting Logan pull her out to the car.

Kathy, Michael, Brad, and Lisa were soon to follow. Hugs were exchanged between Gavin, Tate, and his parents. He waved goodbye to Brad and Lisa and watched them pull out of the driveway.

As soon as the door shut, Eric with his arms full of a drunk, slurring Crys announced they were leaving also. Crys gave Gavin a loud smacking kiss on the cheek. “Bye Tate! Bye Gavin!” She called really loudly before she slapped Eric’s ass. “Come on, I’m horny!” Eric shook his head and helped a stumbling Crys to the car.

Brandy joined Gavin and Tate at the door. “Wow, is she always like that?” The inquiry was genuine.

“Yeah, pretty much.” Gavin confirmed.

Brandy watched Crys and Eric pull out of the driveway and nodded. “I like her.” She announced. She hugged Tate before turning to Gavin. “It was great seeing you again Gavin. Thank you so much for having us over. It’s a long drive back home and I know this one,” she bumped Tate, “would have been too tired to feed us tonight.” Brandy shook Gavin’s hand. “I hope to see you again soon. Goodnight!”

Tavin was the only one left, and he sat on the couch alone. He was reclined back, with an ankle resting on top of his knee. Out of Tate’s entire family, Tavin was the easiest to be around. He had learned enough about the man today to know he was not shy, but simply quiet. When he had something to say, he said it and it generally seemed to be something worth listening to.

Gavin smiled at him and plopped onto the couch exhausted. Tate sat down beside him. “What do y’all want to do? Movie, video game, cards…”

“I’m good with a movie.” Tate answered and Tavin nodded in agreement.

“Well here.” Gavin handed Tate the remote. “You can pick something off the TV or,” he pointed to a big cabinet, “a movie. I don’t care what we watch.”

Tate turned on the TV and they settled on a movie Gavin had recorded earlier on in the week. It was not long before Gavin’s eyes fluttered closed.

Thank you for reading! Big thanks to Valkyrie for all of her hard work editing chapter 8!:worship:  I did do some tweaking after she finished editing so I apologize for any rough patches. 
Copyright © 2015 Redsunshine; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I liked all the family and friends bonded. That was a great way to give backstory into Gavin and Kayla's past. And the kiss against the tree? HOT HOT YUMMY!! :*)

Link to comment
On 03/30/2014 03:41 PM, LadyDe said:
I liked all the family and friends bonded. That was a great way to give backstory into Gavin and Kayla's past. And the kiss against the tree? HOT HOT YUMMY!! :*)
Tate's family is very warm and open, which is exactly what Gavin needs. There are more *cough* moments to come. ;) Thank you for leaving your review!
Link to comment
On 03/30/2014 03:41 PM, LadyDe said:
I liked all the family and friends bonded. That was a great way to give backstory into Gavin and Kayla's past. And the kiss against the tree? HOT HOT YUMMY!! :*)
Tate's family is very warm and open, which is exactly what Gavin needs. There are more *cough* moments to come. ;) Thank you for leaving your review!
Link to comment
On 03/30/2014 11:55 PM, WriterJT said:
Amazing chapter!!! Loving it!
Thanks! I'm glad that you enjoyed the chapter. I'm working on chapter 9 now. Thank you for leaving a review! :)
Link to comment
On 03/30/2014 11:55 PM, WriterJT said:
Amazing chapter!!! Loving it!
Thanks! I'm glad that you enjoyed the chapter. I'm working on chapter 9 now. Thank you for leaving a review! :)
Link to comment

The characters are fleshing out now, and the families (biological and chosen) seem to be a great fit. Still some work, I suspect, to get Gavin through the bear side of Tate. Looking forward to learning more.

Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 06:57 AM, hillj69 said:
The characters are fleshing out now, and the families (biological and chosen) seem to be a great fit. Still some work, I suspect, to get Gavin through the bear side of Tate. Looking forward to learning more.
The big reveal is coming, but you are right. There is still some work to be done before the secret is out. Thank you for your review!
Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 06:57 AM, hillj69 said:
The characters are fleshing out now, and the families (biological and chosen) seem to be a great fit. Still some work, I suspect, to get Gavin through the bear side of Tate. Looking forward to learning more.
The big reveal is coming, but you are right. There is still some work to be done before the secret is out. Thank you for your review!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..