Jump to content
    Redsunshine
  • Author
  • 3,350 Words
  • 3,989 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Barely Existing - 7. Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Eric let out a low whistle when they pulled into the driveway. “What the hell is in their water?”

Parked in the front yard and backed up to the house had to be the largest moving truck he had ever seen. Three men leaned against the porch railing; their sweaty chests glistened in the sun. It was still early in the spring, but the day had already reached eighty-five degrees.

“I’m not sure this is a good idea.” Gavin muttered to Eric. A tapping on his window startled him. He turned to see Crys, bouncing on the balls of her feet grinning at them.

“Maybe or maybe not. It’s too late now. We are here now and it’s not like we can sneak away.” Eric smiled reassuringly at his friend and reached for the door handle.

They walked together toward the front porch. Gavin had his hands stuffed in his pockets, his palms were sweating. A couple had joined the group on the porch, both noticeably older than the others. The man was large and leaned against the house with a curvy petite woman resting against him. They must be his parents.

Tate bounded over the railing and closing the distance between them with swift long strides, an excited grin on his face. Gavin could not stop himself from smiling in return. Tate wrapped an arm around Gavin, giving him a squeeze. He was covered in sweat, and really it should have been gross, but the man smelled so freaking good. The scent of sandalwood and leather mingled with the musky scent of earth. He wanted to rub against Tate and cover himself with it.

“Did you just sniff me?” Tate’s voice was low and teasing. Gavin blushed, and moved to pull away from Tate. Tate simply tucked the smaller man closer to his body. Tate pressed his face against the top of Gavin’s head. “You smell good too babe.” The pink glow turned cherry red and spread to the tips of his ears.

“Tate, leave that boy alone and git over here.” The petite woman yelled at them.

Tate’s lips twitched and Gavin groaned. “Yes ma’am!”

Tucked into Tate’s side with his friends flanking him, Gavin tried to smile at Tate’s family. His inside quivered and his heart raced. This was when he hated being shy. Would they think he was an idiot? Or that he was aloof?

He couldn't help but be intimidated Tate’s family. The three men staring down at them from the porch were huge. Was it the water or was it something they were fed? The smallest of the group easily cleared six feet with a lean and toned body. His arms were crossed over his chest, and his face showed no hint of emotion. The man he assumed was their father was the second shortest in the group, almost as broad as Tate, and had dark hair with silver streaks at his temple. His gaze was assessing and Gavin felt as if he would come up short in the man’s estimate. Wrapped possessively in his arms was the woman Gavin knew Tate had gotten his amazing eyes from.

The largest man of the group and the largest Gavin had ever seen, leaned against the house, eyes pointed toward the ground. He outweighed Tate by twenty or thirty pounds. His shoulders were curled in, and his arms hung loosely at his side. His fingers danced in mid air, as if anxious. Instead of standing tall and proud, he slouched as if he were trying to make himself smaller. His eyes flicked up once the group stood on the porch. He smiled and nodded at Gavin and his friends, before looking down again.

The petite woman squealed and rushed over to Gavin. She gathered him in her arms squeezing him more than he thought her petite frame would be capable of. “It’s so nice to meet you!” She gushed before squeezing him again. Gavin’s breath whooshed out. His arms hung loosely at his sides, confused by her exuberance.

“Momma, you want to let him go before you crack a rib? If you put him in the hospital he won’t feed us later.” Tate’s, sounding amused, teased the woman still holding Gavin in her arms.

Kathy took a step back from Gavin and released him. She rolled her eyes at Tate before smiling gently at Gavin. “You just call me Kathy hunny.” She patted his cheek three times before moving away.

Gavin was then introduced Michael, confirming he had been right guessing who Tate’s parents were. Before he had the chance to offer his hand to the bear of a man, Michael pulled him into a hug and his feet dangled above the floor. He was dropped back down with a bone jarring thud.

“Easy with the merchandise Dad.” Tate clapped Michael on the shoulder.

There were no more crushing hugs as Gavin was introduced to Tate’s brothers. He found the shortest of the group, Brad, was also the oldest and had a wife inside the house hiding from the heat. Brad, with a mischievous smile, cuffed him on the shoulder and caused Gavin to stumble. Tate growled and Brad backed away with his hands in the air, laughing. Man this family is weird. When introductions were made to Tate’s twin Tavin, the very large man repeated his earlier greeting. He briefly looked at the group, smiled and nodded before looking down again.

“Seriously, what is wrong with you people?” Crys’ astonished voice carried from behind Gavin and his face burned brighter than it had earlier. “What are they feeding you? Steroids are bad for your health ya know. Makes your junk small.” She winked.

Eric wrapped an arm around Crys' waist and pulled her against his body, his other hand went to cover still moving mouth. “I apologize for her. She has verbal…well, let’s just say there is no filter.” Eric voice was embarrassed.

“Shut up Crys!” Gavin hissed through clenched teeth.

“What? I’m just saying.” Crys pulled Eric’s hand away from her mouth long enough to speak before he covered it again. Her voice had been innocent, but the sparkle in her eyes gave her away. Gavin glared at her. Why do we let her in public?

Before Gavin could respond, Michael’s booming laugh seeped through the haze of his embarrassment. Surprised, Gavin looked at each member of Tate’s family. They were all laughing. Brad was bent over with his shoulders violently shaking. Gavin could feel the chuckles vibrating Tate’s body.

“Oh I like her!” Brad choked out between guffaws.

Kathy was still giggling when she descended on Eric and Crys. She pinched Crys’ cheeks. “You are such a doll!” She cried and hugged Crys. Crys being Crys and not owning a shy, subtle bone in her body, basked in the attention. Eric shook hands with the men while Kathy and Crys chattered.

“Let’s go on in the house where it’s nice and cool.” Kathy called as she pulled Crys through the doorway. Thankful to no longer be in the spotlight, Gavin watched as everyone walk inside. The way the family so easily enfolded his friends in their group amazed him. He had never seen a family so close. He didn’t even think that level of camaraderie was possible outside of friendship.

Gavin loved his family and he knew they loved him in return, but they were nothing like the people he had just met. It was usually difficult to be around them. Growing up, his parents had just been able to make ends meet. It never stopped them from judging everyone else for how little or more they had. Their harsh criticism extended as far as to their children.

They always had something to say, none of it ever good, about every aspect of his life. They never liked his friends and they actively hated Crys. According to them, his career wasn't a real man’s work. It was too nerdy, too soft. It did not matter that he enjoyed what he did or that he loved writing code. To them, being gay was a choice made by a person afraid of commitment or addicted to kink. He tried to explain that he didn't choose to be gay, he simply was. That conversation had not ended well. He father claimed Gavin was blaming them. His mother accused him of thinking they were bad parents and did not love him. It ended with his mother crying and his father yelling. His sister sick of their behavior cut all ties with them that day.

Memories clouded in, and Gavin was no longer on Tate’s porch, but lost in thought. Tate used Gavin’s distraction to back him into a corner on the wraparound porch, providing cover from peeping eyes. Tate bent down and nuzzled the sensitive spot where neck and shoulder met, jerking Gavin back to reality. Gavin rolled his shoulder up and pushing tempting lips away from his neck.

Tate met Gavin’s eyes and grinned. “It’s not that I’m not happy to see you, but what are y’all doing here?” He moved to Gavin’s other shoulder and brushed soft kisses up to Gavin’s neck. He traveled up Gavin’s neck with nips to his ear. Teeth clenched around the small gauge and tugged before his tongue eased the sting.

“I, um….I,” Gavin could not think, could not speak, and could not stop the moan from passing his lips. Tate sucked the lobe into his mouth before releasing it again and letting it glide across his teeth as it escaped

“You…” He prompted. Warm breath whispered across Gavin’s ear inducing a spine tingling shiver and goose bumps to break out across his skin.

Gavin shook himself loose from the spell of Tate’s mouth and pressed his hands against the solid, slick chest pushing Tate away from him. “Stop that.”

Tate smirked. “Stop what?”

Gavin narrowed his eyes at Tate before he slid away from the man who had trapped him against the corner of the house. Tate followed with a predatory glint in his eyes. Gavin held his palms up, warding off an amused Tate.

“Just stop. As nice as your, err, distraction was I need to talk to you.”

Tate chuckled. “Okay handsome.” He grabbed one of Gavin’s out stretched hands and pulled him to the steps at the side of the house. He lowered himself and tugged Gavin with him but didn’t release the hand he held.

“So what’s up buttercup?”

A surprised laugh escaped Gavin. “What?”

Tate simply smiled. “What’s the word hummingbird?”

Gavin giggled and bumped his shoulder against Tate’s. He froze and his body heated. What the heck was that? I don’t giggle. What next? A random image flashed in front of him. He was surrounded in Victorian lace and fluttering in his mind of him surrounded in Victorian lace and fluttering a fan. He giggled again. Yeah, he so wouldn’t look good in drag.

His eyes met Tate’s and his heart stuttered. The gentle look on his handsome neighbor’s face was one he had never seen directed at him before. A soft, barely there smile played across Tate’s lips but it was the eyes that did it. They were full of peace, acceptance, and amusement. It was a look he had watched his sister exchange with her husband often. It reminded him of a home full of love and laughter. A home he desperately wanted and never had.

Gavin looked down again, suddenly fascinated with the steps below him. Part of him was confused. He had just met Tate. He had to be reading more into it than Tate intended. It was too fast. A small, lonely part of him disagreed though. It screamed at him that this, whatever it was, was right.

A gentle squeeze interrupted his musings, bringing his attention back to Tate. “Talk to me sweetheart.” Tate spoke quietly, that gentle look lingering in his eyes.

Gavin shook his head before giving Tate a slight smile. “How many do you think are coming tonight?” For an instant disappointment filled Tate’s eyes, then it was gone and his face was a neutral canvas with a slight smile. That small, lonely part of Gavin ached at the thought he had disappointed the man beside him, but he wasn’t ready to make himself vulnerable and confess the battle his mind and his soul were waging.

He hated himself for feeling so needy. He never knew his heart could be full of such longing. Before yesterday he was sure he had everything he needed. Now there was an empty space yearning to be filled. His soul craved the bigger man, his heart needed him and his mind yelled for him to proceed with caution. It warned that this man could destroy them if given the opportunity. The idea someone could have this much control over him after a day was frightening.

Gavin laid his head on Tate’s broad shoulder. Just a moment he promised. He needed the comfort for himself and the man beside him, hoping it would atone for the disappointment he had caused. He caressed the back of Tate’s hand with his thumb then realized Tate was focused elsewhere.

He followed Tate’s amused gaze to the house, quickly glancing over his shoulder. Movement caught his attention and Gavin quickly looked back. Two heads disappeared from the window.

Eyebrows raised, he looked at Tate. “Was that…”

Tate winked. “Ma!” Tate loudly called.

Kathy’s face immediately appeared in the window. “Tate Matthew Holland! You better not be hollering and calling me like a dog!” Kathy scowled at her son, Crys at her side.

Kathy’s voice was clear, not muffled the way it should have sounded from inside the house. Forehead wrinkled in confusion he studied the window. He saw it and had to turn away quickly to hide his amusement at Kathy and Crys’ antics. They had cracked the fucking window. Who knew how long they had been eavesdropping. Tate gave Gavin’s hand a squeeze, as if he could read Gavin’s mind and was trying to contain his own mirth.

“Sorry momma.” He responded, voice full of laughter. “Gavin wanted to know who all was coming to the cook out.”

“Everyone I think. I’ll go double check. Next time you want to ask me something you get off your butt instead of yellin’. What are Gavin and his friends gonna think?” She scolded before moving away from the window.

Once the cost was clear both Gavin and Tate started chuckling. “I can’t believe they were did that.” Gavin stated.

“Oh I can.” Tate smirked. He stood up pulling Gavin with him. “Now come on before they come back.” Gavin giggled again and let Tate lead him away from the porch and into the woods.

Once they were hidden from view of the two nosey women, Tate turned and faced Gavin. Amusement had been replaced with something darker causing awareness to race through him. Tate moved and pressed his body against Gavin’s. Large hands wrapped around Gavin’s hips and pushed backwards until the trunk of a large tree touched the smaller man’s back.

Oh God. Tate’s face was set harshly. His jaw and lips were tense and determination and desire filled his eyes. Hands that had been clenched around his hips and that had touched him so gently before became bands of steel around Gavin’s wrists. His arms were brought above his head and pinned to the tree. It set Gavin’s blood on fire and a need filled him to submit to the large man in front of him.

Tate stared down at Gavin and in that moment, nothing existed outside of them. Warnings were no longer yelling in his head. His racing thoughts had slowed and focused on Tate and the feelings rushing though Gavin’s body. His heart pounded in his chest, or was it his throat? Then Tate’s lips crashed into his, the kiss rough and sweet. Gavin’s soul rejoiced and wrapped around the body against him. He sobbed into the kiss and strained against Tate’s hold. He wasn’t fighting to be let go, but fighting to get closer, needing their bodies to mesh.

“Please.” He whimpered and begged into Tate’s mouth, too far gone to be ashamed or surprised at his behavior.

“Hush baby. I got you.” Tate soothed.

“I need….oh god Tate.” The desperation in his plea surprised him. Never before had he wanted someone so completely.

Tate guided Gavin’s arms around his neck and Gavin immediately held on tight, letting Tate’s broad frame support him. Fingers traced a path down Gavin’s biceps and over his shoulders. They danced along his back and over the curve of Gavin’s ass before clenching tight and pulling him up onto the tip of his toes. His weight now fully supported by Tate’s body.

Tate devoured Gavin’s lips, possessing him. Hearts pounded, hands roamed and fingers gripped. Gavin ground his hips desperately against Tate, wanting the bigger man to know exactly how much he was affected. Tate’s lips pulled away from his then returned for a brief, gentle kiss. Gavin followed helplessly, needing more.

A throat cleared and a discreet cough followed. Reality started crowding in, pushing back the fog that had been clouding his mind. Gavin’s face flushed red, and he hid his face against Tate’s chest. “Oh God.” He chanted.

“Shush baby.” Tate murmured.

A quick glance over Tate’s shoulder confirmed what his mind wanted to deny. Behind Tate stood Kathy and Crys, arm in arm. He hid his face again, and his erection that been aching and rubbing desperately against Tate was now soft and trying to crawl into his body. Tate gave him a tight reassuring hug and brushed a kiss across the top of Gavin’s head before looking back up at Kathy.

Kathy grinned at the two men, mischief dancing in her eyes. It was terrifying to find the same look on Crys’ face. “Just wanted you to know everyone will be going to the cookout.” She sang. Kathy and Crys, still arm in arm, turned and made their way back to the house.

“Oh God, please tell me they are gone.”

Tate chuckled. “They are.” He patted Gavin’s ass. “We should get back to the house too babe.”

Hopefully the length will make up for the time lapse between Chapter 6 and 7. Thank you for reading!
Copyright © 2015 Redsunshine; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 03/10/2014 01:52 AM, henry22 said:
Great chapter great story. Faster please
Thanks! I will definitely try to get chapter 8 out sooner. Thank you for leaving a review!
Link to comment

I've been remiss in leaving reviews, but I really like this story. Just enough uncertainty and issus to make it interesting but also an attraction and clear determination that makes it unlikely that they will not be mated soon.

If those naughty females hadn't interrupted, it may well have happened right then. :) But I have the feeling that would have embarrassed Gavin even more than just being caught making out. I hope he will soon be convinced that the love is for real.

And then comes the whole shifter thing - that will be very interesting too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/11/2014 12:01 AM, Timothy M. said:
I've been remiss in leaving reviews, but I really like this story. Just enough uncertainty and issus to make it interesting but also an attraction and clear determination that makes it unlikely that they will not be mated soon.

If those naughty females hadn't interrupted, it may well have happened right then. :) But I have the feeling that would have embarrassed Gavin even more than just being caught making out. I hope he will soon be convinced that the love is for real.

And then comes the whole shifter thing - that will be very interesting too.

I'm glad to hear you like the story.Gavin may be shy and uncertain but Tate's bold enough for both of them. As for Crys and Kathy...hehehe. Thank you for leaving a review!
Link to comment

Enjoying the story so far. Kind of expected Tate to have had the same dream as Gavin in the last chapter.
A few minor editing errors, but nothing major.
Counter to those saying "faster," I'd rather wait a bit longer for a good chapter, than have something rushed and incomplete.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..