Jump to content
    Redsunshine
  • Author
  • 2,690 Words
  • 4,512 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Barely Existing - 5. Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Close to midnight, Tate finally pulled Gavin away from the dance floor to their table. They stood side by side and sipped bottled water. Both men had stopped drinking beer shortly after their arrival, neither wanting alcohol to impair their drive home. Tate slowly ran a hand down Gavin’s back, starting at his shoulder and stopping just above the curve of his ass.

“I hate to say it, but I need to head on out. I have an early morning and a busy day ahead of me.” Unwilling to part company, both had ignored the exhaustion creeping up on them.

Gavin smiled and nodded at Tate, trying to hide his disappointment. “I need to head home too. It’s been a long week.”

“We’ll walk each other out. Do you need to say goodbye to your friends?” Tate asked rubbing Gavin’s back. Just as he had finished speaking Crys and Eric returned to the table.

Gavin leaned over and gave Crys a hug. “Hey guys. We’re calling it a night.”

Crys smiled understandingly at Gavin. She knew it had been a long week for her friend. “Go get some rest hon. We will see you tomorrow. It was nice meeting you Tate!”

“Thanks Crys. It was nice meeting you too.” Tate nodded his head at Eric.

“Later man. Night Gavin.” Eric replied with a lift of his chin. He had Crys pressed closely to his side, his arm wrapped around her waist.

“Night!” Gavin called over his shoulder, leading Tate out of the bar.

“Thanks for inviting me tonight.” They walked close together, occasionally bumping shoulders.

“Thanks for coming. Did you have fun?”

“Yeah. I liked the band.. Your friends seem nice.”

When they reached Gavin’s SUV, he leaned against the rear driver side door, facing Tate. “I know you have a busy day tomorrow, but I was wondering...” Gavin paused nervously looking down at his scuffed shoes.

“You were wondering?”

“Would you like to, um, come over for dinner tomorrow? I’m having a small cook out and I know after moving you’re not going to want to cook. You’re welcome to bring your family too.” He rolled his eyes at himself, knowing once again he was rambling, knowing he was showing Tate just how much the bigger man affected him.

“That sounds great.”

“Really?” Gavin looked up at Tate, relief and excitement evident on his face and in his voice.

Tate smiled at his beautiful shy mate. “Really. Are you sure though? I don’t want to impose.”

“Yeah! Crys and Eric are the only other ones coming and they won’t mind. Just let me know how many you are bringing. I want to make sure I have enough food.”

“I can do that. Want can I bring?”

“Nada. Crys and I will have it all covered.”

“My family has a big appetite.” Tate warned.

Gavin grinned at Tate. “I think we can handle it. Is there anything I shouldn’t make?”

“We’re not picky. I’m sure whatever you decide on will be perfect. What time should we come over?”

“Six okay?”

“Six is good.” Tate leaned down and brushed his lips across Gavin’s. “Thank you.” He opened the driver side door and motioned for Gavin to get in. “I’ll follow you back.”

Dazed, Gavin climbed into his vehicle. His door shut and he buckled his seat belt. His lips tingled and electricity raced through his veins. The kiss had been brief, barely a kiss at all. Rather, it was more of a caress, lips caressing lips. That single caress changed something inside of him. A switch had been flipped and something larger than he could comprehend was taking place.

His eyes tracked Tate as he moved away from the SUV. He couldn't help but admire the man. He was strong and tall, like an oak tree, and Gavin wanted nothing but to climb him. He watched Tate easily step into his truck, drooling until the driver door shut. Seriously, what was with that truck? Growing up in the country, where guys and girls alike took their trucks seriously, lifts were common. Bigger was often considered better. But jeez, Tate’s looked like it should belong at a monster truck rally.

He pulled out of the parking lot and led the way home. Every time he glanced at his rear view mirror, Tate’s headlights shone brightly back at him, bringing him a sense of comfort he didn't understand or question. He turned into his driveway and behind him he could hear Tate laying on the horn as a farewell. Gavin shook his head with a smile. The gesture bold and loud, just like Tate seemed to be. He tapped his own horn softly twice, returning the farewell.

He pulled up to his garage, and made his way into the house. He only flipped the kitchen light on long enough to grab a bottle of water, before he continued to his bedroom. He undressed, tossing his clothes into the hamper before he continued getting ready for bed. With a yawn, he slid in between the cool sheets. His phone buzzed on the nightstand. He smiled seeing a message from Tate.

Tate: Had fun tonight.

Gavin: Me 2.

Tate: See you tomorrow?

Gavin: Tomorrow. J Goodnight.

Their conversation brief, and meaningless, but when Gavin sprawled out on his stomach, he had a smile on his face. Soft jazz mingled with the sound of a ceiling fan in the background. He closed his eyes and snuggled deeper into bed, Tate occupying his thoughts. The man was unlike anyone he had every met before, and made him feel things he never had. He was pulled to Tate, and he didn't understand it. He barely knew him, had only just met him, but even now alone in his bed, he missed the large man. It scared the hell out of him. His last relationship had gone south in a bad, bad way. Running into Dave tonight had served a reminder of what happened when he trusted someone, but he knew he couldn't hold that against Tate. He couldn't deny there was some serious chemistry between the two of them. No chemistry wasn't the right word. They had chemistry, but there was something else there, something deeper, more meaningful. Everywhere Tate had touched tonight still tingled. His mind warned him to proceed with caution, but his heart was ready to jump in feet first. The gentle arms of sleep closed around him, and finally pulled him under.

Gavin stepped out onto his back deck, just like every other morning. He held a travel mug filled with coffee. His bare feet traveled the soft, damp earth as he made his way to his favorite spot. He sipped his hot beverage, enjoying the perfect morning. The air was fresh, the sun bright, and birds chirped happily in the trees. Occasionally he would hear squirrels barking to one another.

He paused and took a look around. His spot was only a brief walk from the house, but the clearing was nowhere in sight. Realizing he must have passed it, he chuckled at himself before turning around. Then everything shifted, and the forest no longer resembled the path he took every morning. He continued walking, his brows furrowed. He couldn’t remember stepping off of the path he normally traveled but nothing looked familiar.

A loud rustle sounded ahead of him, slightly off the path. Startled, Gavin searched the area. A loud snort, followed by a grunt filled the silent morning. No longer could he hear the birds or squirrels. Gavin cautiously walked up the path. Another snort and a twig snapped, sounding like gun fire in the unusually quiet forest.

His breath caught, his feet stopped moving and his heart raced in his chest. Rubbing against a tree was his bear, the bear from the previous morning. The animal seemed even larger, but luckily hadn’t clued in to his presence. It moved away from the tree it had been using as a scratching post and flopped onto the forest floor. It rolled and squirmed before standing back up.

It rose from four legs to two and Gavin froze in fear. On four legs the bear had been impressive in size, but on two it was terrifying. Suddenly, the animal became blurry and started shrinking. The black fur rescinded, leaving tanned skin in its place. Gavin blinked in confusion, taking a step back. The blur receded, and where moments before the bear had been, stood Tate. Not a stitch of clothing covered him. Gavin gasped, and Tate’s head jerked up, meeting Gavin’s eyes. The travel mug slipped from Gavin’s fingers, hot coffee splashing up and soaking his pants. He whirled on his heel and started running. Branches leapt in front of him, slapping his face and bared chest. He could hear crashing behind him and Tate yelling his name, but he dared not stop.

Trees that had once been covered in beautiful green leaves were now bare. The morning had disappeared, and the forest was becoming a dark, cold place. Fog rolled in around his feet, and sharp rocks were cutting into the tender flesh. His heart pounded and his breath came in pants. He could hear Tate gaining on him, and he pushed himself harder, desperate to get away from whatever Tate was. Something rough wrapped around his ankles, and he was suddenly air born. His eyes widen in shock, hands thrown out in front of him, trying to brace himself for the fall.

Gavin jerked awake. His chest heaved, tears clouded his eyes, and his heart was pounding in his chest. He dug the palm of his hands into his eyes. Terror and adrenaline from the dream still raced through his veins. The dream replayed in his head. He dropped his arms to the bed and turned his head to look at his alarm clock. It was only eight am, which was still later than he normally slept.

Tossing back the covers he slipped from the bed and walked into the bathroom. He turned on the rain shower head and waited for the water to warm before he stepped in. The hot water soaked into his muscles easing the ache. His body hurt everywhere that had been abused in his dream. His feet were tender and his chest burned where the limbs would have hit him. His arms and hands ached from the fall he didn't take. He lingered in the shower, letting the heat ease the tension from his muscles.

He settled on the couch with a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee, propping his feet up on the ottoman that matched his sofa. He took a bite of oatmeal before turning on the TV, his new toy. Sixty inches of awesomeness hung on his wall. He pointed the remote at the TV, using it almost like you would a mouse for a computer and scanned through the apps. Yes, his TV had apps. He couldn't tell you why his TV needed apps since he had plenty on his tablet and his phone, but the fact that it did just added a level of awesomeness to it.

His phone buzzed. He spent the next hour talking to his mom. He listened as she prattled on about their Florida vacation, wanting grandchildren, and how it was just a shame he had not settled down with a good girl yet. He simply shook his head. She still had not come to terms with the fact that he would not be finding any girl. He hung up chuckling at her child like enthusiasm. As aggravating as their refusal to accept that he was gay could be, he could not deny that he loved them.

He pulled up the texts from Tate the night before and smiled. He sent a quick message to wishing him a good morning and that the move went smoothly. He did not expect a message back so he was not disappointed when he did not receive one. He sent another message to Crystal letting her know he had invited Tate and his family to their cookout.

He rose from the couch and tucked his phone into his pocket. He needed to catch up on the laundry and housework he had neglected during the week. Sure, no one else would know his sheets had not been changed in a week, but that did not mean it did not need to be some. He plugged his MP3 player into the Bluetooth speaker sitting on his entertainment stand. He selected his favorite playlist, mostly compiled of rock and country, and got to work.

“What the hell are you listening to?” Crys demanded behind him, an evil grin on her face. Gavin jumped, his heart leapt into his throat. His music had been playing loudly and Gavin was somewhere in la la land.

“Geeze freakin’ Louise Crys! You gave me a heart attack!” Gavin had one hand clutched over his racing heart, the other gripping the kitchen counter.

Eric was doubled over behind her, his face red and arms clutched around his midsection. He gasped for breath. “Oh fuck, that was hilarious.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. You’re both assholes.” Gavin muttered and threw the sponge he had been using to clean the kitchen counters in to the sink.

“No, he’s an asshole,” Crys pointed to Eric, “I’m a bitch. Get it right.” Gavin simply rolled his eyes at her.

“What are you doing here anyway?”

“Figured we would come by and help you get ready for tonight. You know, for your boyfriend.” Crys teased.

“Oh grow up Crys!” Gavin laughed. “He’s my neighbor.”

“Not for long.” She sung before running out of the kitchen and arms reach.

“Okay kids, chill.” Eric called laughing.

Crys walked back up to the breakfast bar separating the kitchen and living room. “Okay, okay. Truce. I’ll be nice. Seriously, what can we do to help you?”

“I don’t really plan on doing much more for the house, but I need to go grocery shopping.”

“Sweet! Can we take the stang?”

“Oh yeah, that’s a great idea. Let’s cram all three of us in then go grocery shopping. Great plan.” Gavin teased.

“Booo! Well can I take the stang?”

Gavin chuckled. “I told you y’all could borrow it anytime.”

“Great, so can I borrow it today?” Crys grinned at him.

“Fine, you can drive it. I need to find ask Tate about how many I should expect tonight before we leave.”

“Why don’t we just drive over there? He’s probably been too busy to check his phone.”

“Okay.” Gavin was hesitant. He wanted to see Tate, but didn’t want to force himself on the man.

“Oh come on! It’ll be fine.” Crys promised. Gavin nodded once. He wasn’t so sure.

I hope you enjoyed Chapter 5. As promised, I did lengthen the chapter. Originally I was going to end Chapter 5 after his dream, and the rest was going to be part of Chapter 6.My next Chapter is currently underway and we will meet Tate's family. I'll go deeper into Tate and Gavin in the upcoming chapters. Please let me know if there is anything that would make the upcoming chapters more enjoyable or easier to read. Thank you for reading! **Made a few changes to explain a bit more about how Gavin feels about Tate.**
Copyright © 2015 Redsunshine; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

THANK YOU for making it longer!!!! I THINK I have my Gavin/Tate fix for a few days at least :-) Keep up the fabTABulous work!

Link to comment
On 12/21/2013 05:13 AM, Normischell said:
THANK YOU for making it longer!!!! I THINK I have my Gavin/Tate fix for a few days at least :-) Keep up the fabTABulous work!
Thanks for your review! I had you in mind while writing Chapter 5. I'll try to make sure chapter 6 is about the same length.
Link to comment

I'm gonna write what I would have if I beta read this for you...I feel like you should slow down a bit. I'd like to see you show more of their interactions that lead to a bond forming. My impression of Gavin after his night with Tate was that he was a bit flighty or as a person with really quick-changing moods. His emotions were all over the place. He was mad once they got to the bar, then he was uptight until Tate eased him out of his mood. Then he got stuck in the past bc of the ex's appearance. Sadly, we didn't get to experience them on the dance floor to see them become more comfortable. You kinda sped right to 'hey, we're off to home' and we didn't see Tate help him relax and become more comfortable with him. We didn't see Gavin allow himself to experience the connection he felt.

 

One thing that didn't fit was when he said 'oh that was typical tate'...hitting the horn to say goodbye as Gavin pulled into his driveway He doesn't know Tate at all yet, so how could he know if it's typical? I think you need to do more scenes where we hear them talk and get to know one another. Let us see what was said or felt as they danced. What made Gavin want to see him the next day when he seemed so hesitant b/c of his past? What did Tate do to push past the barriers that Gavin built when he didn't want to classify himself as gay and the ones he strengthened when the ex came over and raised ghosts from the past? We need to see them bond.

 

I am intrigued by the whole bear shifter thing. It's not the typical Were animal. So, you can tell us more about them and how they live and what it means to find your mate. I liked the interesting detail about his not being able to see his mate clearly b/c he was near-sighted in bear form. How typical is it for a bear to find a human mate rather than another shifter? What was Tate thinking when he buys a home and finds that his mate lives next door? That would have to be crazy wierd!

 

The real question will be why Gavin would dream about Tate changing from his bear form to human form? What in the heck would make a human dream such a random thing? He wasn't sleepwalking right? lol.

 

I would recommend a beta reader if you don't have one, so they can ask for clarifications and point out if something should be developed further, etc.

 

Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing a new 'shifter' world and seeing these two become mates. I hope some of this helps.

Link to comment
On 01/01/2014 09:42 PM, Cannd said:
I'm gonna write what I would have if I beta read this for you...I feel like you should slow down a bit. I'd like to see you show more of their interactions that lead to a bond forming. My impression of Gavin after his night with Tate was that he was a bit flighty or as a person with really quick-changing moods. His emotions were all over the place. He was mad once they got to the bar, then he was uptight until Tate eased him out of his mood. Then he got stuck in the past bc of the ex's appearance. Sadly, we didn't get to experience them on the dance floor to see them become more comfortable. You kinda sped right to 'hey, we're off to home' and we didn't see Tate help him relax and become more comfortable with him. We didn't see Gavin allow himself to experience the connection he felt.

 

One thing that didn't fit was when he said 'oh that was typical tate'...hitting the horn to say goodbye as Gavin pulled into his driveway He doesn't know Tate at all yet, so how could he know if it's typical? I think you need to do more scenes where we hear them talk and get to know one another. Let us see what was said or felt as they danced. What made Gavin want to see him the next day when he seemed so hesitant b/c of his past? What did Tate do to push past the barriers that Gavin built when he didn't want to classify himself as gay and the ones he strengthened when the ex came over and raised ghosts from the past? We need to see them bond.

 

I am intrigued by the whole bear shifter thing. It's not the typical Were animal. So, you can tell us more about them and how they live and what it means to find your mate. I liked the interesting detail about his not being able to see his mate clearly b/c he was near-sighted in bear form. How typical is it for a bear to find a human mate rather than another shifter? What was Tate thinking when he buys a home and finds that his mate lives next door? That would have to be crazy wierd!

 

The real question will be why Gavin would dream about Tate changing from his bear form to human form? What in the heck would make a human dream such a random thing? He wasn't sleepwalking right? lol.

 

I would recommend a beta reader if you don't have one, so they can ask for clarifications and point out if something should be developed further, etc.

 

Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing a new 'shifter' world and seeing these two become mates. I hope some of this helps.

I appreciate your review and your suggestions. There are several things I'm being purposefully vague about and I plan to reveal more in upcoming chapters. I now understand that there are some things that I haven't explained and need to clarify on. In the next chapter I will explain more about Tate's bond with Gavin. The mate bond doesn't build for him, it's instinct. I can see I haven't explained Gavin's reactions well enough, and will do so in my next chapter if I don't edit ch 5. Gavin's feelings are a bit muddled at this point. He has an overwhelming attraction to Tate that he doesn't understand and he has a past that will be revealed in upcoming chapters that make him leery. I will think about a beta and it's been suggested an editor would help as well, I'm just not sure if I'm ready for it. I can see how it would make me a better writer though. As I'm writing future chapters I'll keep in mind your suggestions and try to make sure things that I mean to be clear, are.
Link to comment

Better. I like this story. Hopefully, the dreams will prepare Gavin for the big reveal!!!. Love their interaction. Now on to family hour!!!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..