Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Eternity - 10. Chapter Ten

Ten
Kyle couldn't stop pacing in front of Jared's hospital room window. He was finally going to be able to take Jared home; anyways, as long as all the tests came back normal. The longer it took for the doctor to bring Jared back, the more anxious Kyle got. He was just sure that something else was going to happen that would make taking Jared home impossible. Between trying to figure out who was behind the attacks, he still wasn't completely convinced it wasn't Matt, and waiting for Jared to be released, Kyle was sure he was going to go insane.

"You know babe, pacing isn't going to make things happen any quicker," Jared said, finally coming back into the room.

"I know," Kyle said, pivoting on his heel and walking over to where Jared stood just inside the door. "So what's the verdict? Do I finally get to bust you out of this room?"

"Not sure yet, hopefully, but they're still looking at the x-rays and shit."

"Oh," Kyle said dejectedly. "I was hoping..."

"I know what you were hoping, but they didn't say anything to me that gave even the slightest hint that they wouldn't release me, so calm down."

"I just want us to be at home babe, is that so much to ask?"

"No, it's not. I want that too Kyle but we have to be patient. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll release me," Jared said, wrapping his arms around Kyle and giving him a gentle hug.

"I hope so, it'd be nice to sleep next to you in a real bed," Kyle said, shooting a nasty look at the hospital bed. "That thing is the most uncomfortable thing in the world."

"Don't you think your exaggerating just a tiny bit?"

"Hell no, I would rather sleep on the ground than that thing."

"Well, I wouldn't recommend sleeping on the ground," the doctor said coming into the room. Ignoring the sparks shooting from Kyle's eyes, the doctor continued, "You can sleep in a real bed though. The final tests look good and I don't see the need to keep you here any longer. You can take some Tylenol or Aspirin if you feel any discomfort, but if it gets too bad, come back in and see me and I can possibly prescribe something a little stronger."

"I can go home though?" Jared asked as though he didn't quite believe the doctor.

"Yes, you are being released. What I told you earlier still stands though, no strenuous activities," he said, shooting a pointed look at Kyle.

"So, how soon until he can leave?" Kyle asked.

"As soon as I sign the papers he's free to go, by the time you can bring the vehicle around he should be out there waiting for you."

"Just go sign the papers and he can go to the truck with me," Kyle said, not understanding the problem.

"Sorry Mr. Blacker, but he has to go out in a wheelchair."

"Why? He's perfectly capable of walking as you can see," Kyle argued.

"It's hospital policy, once somebody has been admitted they are wheeled out in a wheelchair."

"Kyle, please, just go, bring the truck around, the sooner you quit arguing with the doctor the sooner we can go home."

"But you can walk out of here," Kyle protested.

"You know I can, I know I can, and the doctor knows I can, but it doesn't make it so that we can skip hospital procedure, now please, just go get the truck."

"Umm, one slight problem there, babe."

Jared sighed as realization dawned on him. "You brought the bike, didn't you?"

Kyle could feel his face start to flush as he grinned sheepishly, "Well, yeah, I didn't think about the fact we'd need the truck to get you home."

"How long would it take for you to go get the truck?"

"Probably about a half hour, depending on traffic."

"We could always take a taxi," Jared said, wanting nothing more than to get out of the hospital and go home. He just wanted to spend a little time alone with Kyle.

"Yeah, we could..."

"Okay, I know there is a ‘but' somewhere in there, you might as well spill it."

"Babe, once I get you home I'm not going to want to leave to come back for the bike. Wait, I got an idea, I'll be right back," Kyle said, giving Jared a quick kiss before leaving the room.

Shaking his head, Jared turned to the doctor. "Him and that damn bike," Jared said; the affection in his voice belying his words.

"I'll be right back," the doctor said, suppressing a grin. "I'm going to go get your release papers all signed and get a wheelchair."

After the doctor left, Jared walked over to the window and looked out. He couldn't wait to actually be outside again. Jared felt like he'd been cooped up in the hospital room for way too long and the smell of antiseptic was really beginning to get on his nerves. He was still standing at the window fifteen minutes later when the doctor came in followed by Kyle.

"You ready to go home babe?" Kyle asked, walking up and wrapping an arm around Jared.

"Yeah, did you get the transportation figured out?"

"Sure did, now lets get the hell out of here before they change their minds about letting you leave!"

"No chance of that," the doctor said. "As soon as I explain a few things Mr. Maloney will be free to leave."

Jared and Kyle tried to be patient while listening to the doctor explain the conditions of Jared's release. Neither one were too happy about the extra delay but a couple minutes later Jared signed the papers saying he understood and sat down in the wheelchair.

Kyle followed the orderly as he pushed Jared out of the hospital. He couldn't help the grin that was plastered on his lips as Jared saw his truck. When he and Jared were together before, he had been driving an old beat up Toyota, but when he started the construction company he had decided to get something a little nicer for taking to work sites.

"Where's your truck Kyle?"

"You're looking at it," Kyle grinned as he led the way to his truck. He had just gotten the truck the year before and it was a beauty.

"What happened to your old truck?"

"Traded it in. After I started the company I got myself a newer truck."

"So what kind is it exactly?" Jared asked, taking in the truck sitting in front of him. The truck was definitely a beauty with the sun glinting off the dark green paint. As he got closer, Jared noticed the metallic sparkles hidden within the deep, dark, lustrous hunter green paint

"Well, it's a GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Diesel 4x4," Kyle said, knowing that he had probably just confused his boyfriend.

"Okay, Kyle? You are the truck nut here, mind telling me that again in plain English?"

"Okay, simply put, it's a three quarter ton GMC Diesel," Kyle said, barely able to suppress his grin. He knew it used to drive Jared nuts when he used the confusing terminology when dealing with vehicles. In a way he was kinda happy that it still did, because that meant that at least a part of Jared hadn't changed. He wasn't sure about the other parts, but it was good to know that some things stay the same.

"Well babe, much as I can see you enjoy teasing me about my ignorance, do you mind taking me home now?"

"Yup, sure thing babe," Kyle said, hitting the remote to unlock the doors. After helping Jared climb up into the truck he hurried around and quickly jumped in the driver's seat. Turning the key he waited for a few seconds before bringing the engine to life. Kyle would have liked to have said the engine had a smooth purring sound to it, but the loud knocking of the diesel gave way to the power that was harnessed within. The distinct diesel sound gave Kyle a sense of power as he made himself comfortable in the driver's seat.

As Kyle started pulling away from the curb of the hospital, Jared looked around the truck. It was definitely a nice truck, complete with a six disc CD changer, air conditioning, power everything from the looks of it. Reaching over, Jared turned the air conditioning on low. The day wasn't really that warm but they tended to keep the hospital rooms fairly cool and just the slight warmth inside the truck was too much for Jared.

"Hot, babe?" Kyle asked.

"Just getting a bit too warm. You know, this is going to take some getting used to, I'm used to having to ask for more blankets not asking for less," Jared said with a slight chuckle.

"As long as you're comfortable, just let me know if the apartment is getting to warm for ya, k?"

"Yeah, I will. So when did you get the new truck?"

"About a year ago, decided it wouldn't be very credible to show up as the owner of the company and be driving an old worn out pick-up. Besides, it's got a lot more power than the old truck," Kyle said with a grin.

"You haven't changed a bit," Jared said laughing.

"I hope that's a good thing," Kyle said, enjoying the easy bantering back and forth. He hadn't realized how much he missed just having someone to talk to. Yeah, he had been able to talk to Matt, but never on the emotional level that he had been able to with Jared.

"Yeah babe," Jared said, reaching out and twining his fingers with Kyle's. "I mean, I know that we've both changed over the past couple years, but it's good to know that some things always stay the same."

"I know the feeling; let's just hope you still feel that way when we're old and gray."

"Are we still going to be together when we're old and gray?" Jared asked, as if he was almost afraid of the answer.

"We've still got a lot of talking to do Jared, but I think that if we're both completely open and honest, that we shouldn't have a problem."

"I know, Kyle, I knew even when I left that I should have just talked to you," Jared began, only to be interrupted by Kyle.

"We've already talked about that Jared, I understand a little more why you left, I don't think I'll ever fully understand, but we don't need to keep rehashing it. If you really want to talk about it some more then there will be plenty of time later. For right now though, why don't we save that for later? Today's supposed to be a happy day, let's not open old wounds."

Jared wanted to talk more, but as Kyle said, they would have plenty of time later to go through everything. Looking out the window, Jared thought about how lucky he was. Despite all the bullshit that he had put Kyle through, Kyle was still willing to forgive him. He sincerely hoped that Kyle was right and that they would still be together when they were old and gray, but there was also a part of him that thought that it was just too good to be true.

Jared thought back to when he had been attacked. He had tried not to think about it too much, but sometimes it was just impossible not to. It really unnerved him to think that someone out there hated him enough that they would try to kill him. When the attack had been happening he remembered thinking that it was the price to pay for what he had done to Kyle. The worst pain of all was when he had realized that he might never see Kyle again. It had really hurt when he had walked out a couple years before, but at least then he knew that Kyle was still out there and that eventually he might get to at least see him again, but death would have been final.

"What you thinking about Jared?" Kyle asked. He had glanced over at Jared and had noticed how Jared's arms were wrapped around himself, almost as if he was cold and was trying to keep warm. If it hadn't been for Jared mentioning that he was too warm then he wouldn't have thought anything of it, but since it wasn't from being cold he knew that something was going on inside Jared's head at the moment.

"I might have never seen you again," Jared whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"That was one of the main thoughts that went through my head when I got attacked. That if I died then I would never get to see you again," Jared said, trying to fight the tears that were pooling in his eyes.

Seeing the tears pooling in Jared's eyes, Kyle pulled into a mostly deserted parking lot and threw the truck into park. Without saying a word he unbuckled his seatbelt then did the same for Jared. Sliding across the bench seat, Kyle pulled Jared into his arms without saying a word.

The moment that Jared felt Kyle's arms close around him he lost the battle with the tears. He buried his head into Kyle's shoulder and let the tears fall. Wrapping his arms around Kyle, he pulled Kyle as close to him as he could get. Through the fog in his mind he heard Kyle whispering to him.

"Shh, it's gonna be alright babe."

"No it's not Kyle, don't you see. Someone out there doesn't want me to be with you. Someone is trying everything they can to make sure that it won't happen."

"Obviously they failed babe," Kyle said gently, rubbing his hands soothingly up and down Jared's back. "If they had succeeded then I wouldn't be sitting here with you right now. Jared, apart we are vulnerable, but together, we'll watch each others backs. I'm not going anywhere, especially until whoever it is gets caught; I'm not going to give them the chance to get at you again."

"But work," Jared cried. "You have to go back to work."

"I'm not worried about work Jared, I'm worried about you," Kyle said. Jared shook his head and Kyle sighed before relenting, "My foreman is taking care of the company at the moment. If he needs anything from me he'll call me. You're safe Jared; they're not going to get at you again."

"Promise?" Jared whispered.

"I promise," Kyle said, pulling back slightly to tip Jared's face up and press a light kiss to his lips. "We're back together, and no one, I don't care who they are, is going to pull us apart again, k?"

Jared nodded and they sat there for a little bit longer, until Jared sniffled one last time and let go of Kyle to wipe his tearstained cheeks. Not wanting to be on the other side of the truck, Jared pulled the middle seatbelt and latched it before curling against Kyle's side.

"Can we go home now?" Jared asked in a small voice.

"Yeah babe, we can go home now," Kyle said, latching his seatbelt and wrapping an arm protectively around Jared's shoulders.

~~~~~~
Kyle pulled in to the apartment complex and looked down to where Jared was curled up beside him, fast asleep. They had almost been home when Kyle had noticed that Jared wasn't awake. Not wanting to wake him up, Kyle had driven around town for a little bit, thinking of everything that had happened since Jared had come back into his life. Jared had seemed pretty sure that it wasn't Matt behind the attacks, so Kyle had been trying to figure out who it could be. He came up with a couple people that could be cruel and mean enough to try to kill Jared, but he hadn't fully figured out why someone would want to kill Jared so badly.

Shaking his head, Kyle shut the truck off before gently shaking Jared awake. When Jared's groggy eyes lifted to his, Kyle gave him a light kiss before whispering, "We're home babe." Kyle's heart was warmed just a little more as Jared smiled slightly before burrowing against him again. Gently easing Jared away, Kyle undid both seatbelts and then opened the door and slid out of the truck. Shaking Jared gently again, Kyle helped him out of the truck and up into the apartment. Once inside, Kyle led Jared back to the bedroom and helped him up onto the bed before covering him with a blanket. Within moments Jared was again fast asleep.

Hearing his stomach growl, Kyle made his way into the kitchen to fix himself a sandwich. He didn't know what he even had in the house since he had hardly been there since the whole nightmare had started. Thumbing through the fridge, Kyle found a pack of honeyed ham that was still good and threw it on a couple pieces of bread with some mayonnaise and mustard. Grabbing a soda out of the fridge he took his snack and sat down in his recliner, just taking the moment to relax. He had just barely taken the first bite of his sandwich when he heard a blood curdling scream come from the bedroom. Kyle had never moved so fast as he did when he flew out of his recliner and down the hall into the bedroom. Jared was thrashing all over the bed, the covers tangled around him. The more the covers tangled around him, the more Jared thrashed, as though he was trying to break free of some hold.

"Jared!" Kyle cried, hurrying to the bed. Kyle tried to wrap his arms around Jared but ended up with a fist in his gut. Kyle moved to try again to take Jared in his arms when he heard what Jared was saying between his whimpers.

"No.. no.. please.. I don't wanna go.."

"Jared," Kyle whispered, not wanting to startle Jared awake. Kyle finally managed to get Jared in his arms amid the flying fists and kept whispering to him. "Jared, it's Kyle, come back to me babe. It's okay, I'm here now, Jared, can you hear me? It's okay now, I've got you." Kyle's heart broke even more as Jared screamed out his name.

"KYLE!!" Jared's scream must have finally penetrated his mind because Jared came awake quickly. It was almost instantaneous, as soon as Jared came awake he started shivering.

Pulling Jared more securely in his arms, Kyle scooted up on the bed, putting his back against the headboard. Grabbing the blanket that Jared had thrown off, Kyle wrapped it around Jared's quivering form and cradled Jared to him. Kyle wasn't even aware when he started rocking slightly, trying to soothe Jared's nerves.

"It's okay babe, it was just a bad dream, I've got you now," Kyle whispered into Jared's hair.

"I could feel it," Jared whimpered. "The hand coming out from beneath the stairs... wrapping around my ankles... I felt someone jerk... then I was falling... I hit my head..."

"Jared, it's okay, we don't have to talk about this right now," Kyle said, trying to penetrate Jared's thoughts, but it was almost as if Jared didn't hear him.

"I could feel it.. I could feel it all... I felt the foot kick my ribs... I felt the fists pounding me... I started to come out of it... I started to open my eyes... I could see their shadow... looming over me...."

No matter how hard Kyle tried to reach Jared, it was like Jared was in a world of his own. The visions that Jared was having were ones that only he could see. Kyle didn't know what to do and he cradled Jared close. All he could do was whisper to him, hoping that somehow he'd be able to get through.

" ‘You won't hurt anyone again' they said, then the pain... I felt the knife as it cut into me... I couldn't breathe..." Jared said, taking a heaving breath before looking up at Kyle. "I didn't think I'd see you again. I thought that I was going to die and that I'd never see you again."

Up until that point Kyle hadn't realized that Jared was even aware that Kyle was in the room with him. The tears he saw in Jared's eyes were his undoing. Kyle felt the tears pooling in his own eyes and he couldn't hold them back. With the tears sliding silently down his face, Kyle cried softly into Jared's hair. Only not having any idea what Jared had felt. He had assumed that Jared was unconscious during everything that had happened to him, only now did he realize that wasn't the case.

"I didn't want to leave you yet, I called out for you and you weren't there," Jared said sobbing.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there baby, I wish I could have stopped it."

"You couldn't have stopped it Kyle, no one could have. There was so much hate. I could feel it in ever kick, in every punch."

"I'm sorry I couldn't save you from that Jared, but I'm here now, and I'm here until the bastard is caught."

"I love you Kyle."

"I love you too Jared."

Copyright © 2011 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another good chapter - I like - like in the sense it was good stuff - how even thought they are together and 'home' things aren't a fairy tale ending. Jared isn't going to just slough off the attack without some residual damage. Kyle - though I'm sure he's up to it - will have his hands full for a time, even after they find the real attacker.

Link to comment
On 06/06/2011 03:07 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Another good chapter - I like - like in the sense it was good stuff - how even thought they are together and 'home' things aren't a fairy tale ending. Jared isn't going to just slough off the attack without some residual damage. Kyle - though I'm sure he's up to it - will have his hands full for a time, even after they find the real attacker.
Thanks for the review Andy! I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. Not a whole lot to say on this chapter, so on to the next one :D...
Link to comment

And theres the ptsd!! Poor Jared he recalls more then Kyle thought about the attack. I hope Kyle can help. I like the realism here. They are together and home but everything isn't all right yet. The attacker's words are chilling such an awful thing all that hatred. Grat chapter!

Link to comment
On 04/13/2012 06:45 PM, Jammi said:
And theres the ptsd!! Poor Jared he recalls more then Kyle thought about the attack. I hope Kyle can help. I like the realism here. They are together and home but everything isn't all right yet. The attacker's words are chilling such an awful thing all that hatred. Grat chapter!
Thank you! I've always had issues where things just went from really bad to like nothing ever happened. In my opinion, there needs to be some kind of follow up to the drama. It's unrealistic to expect the characters to be just fine after so much has happened. There is a period of coping that needs to be dealt with before they can move on. Thanks again for the review!
Link to comment

Now it´s looking like a revenge on Jared for leaving Kyle and hurting him? Or perhaps hurting his own family for being gay and coming out. Very intriguing story :huh:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..