Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Eternity - 15. Chapter Fifteen

Fifteen
"Kyle, please calm down," Jared said, feeling his frustrations build up as he watched the man he loved pace across the room.

"I can't Jared, they'll be here any minute," Kyle said, his voice hitching.

Jared stood up from where he'd been sitting on the couch and moved into the path that Kyle had been pacing. When Kyle stopped in front of him, Jared reached up and cupped his face gently in his hands, forcing Kyle to meet his eyes as he spoke softly. "Kyle, it's only your parents, it's going to be fine."

"No, it's not," Kyle said, everything he was feeling coming through in his voice. "They're gonna blame me, I just know it. How could they not blame me, I blame me. I should have seen it; I should have seen how much she detested me. If she didn't detest me so much then she wouldn't have come after you, she wouldn't have died, and then..." Kyle trailed off, unable to continue.

"And then what, Kyle?"

"I don't know, I don't know what would have happened," Kyle answered, fighting back the tears that threatened to spill over.

Jared didn't know what to do to make Kyle see that none of what happened had been his fault. Thinking quickly, he came up with a new approach. Releasing his hold on Kyle's face, Jared turned and walked back over to the couch, sitting down heavily. "It's not your fault Kyle, if it's anyone's fault it's mine."

"How can you say that Jared? This isn't your fault," Kyle said, stopping his pacing and moving to sit next to Jared, taking one of Jared's hands in his.

"Well it's true; I'm more to blame than you are. If I hadn't come back then none of this would have happened and you would still have your sister. You would have continued to be miserable which would have made Chelsea completely happy, and all would have been fine."

"No Jared, because eventually I would have probably found someone else and who's to say if she wouldn't have done the same thing," Kyle started, trying to assure Jared. "The idea that any of this is your fault is so ridiculous," Kyle said, only to be interrupted.

"Just like the idea that it's your fault is," Jared said. "Kyle, none of what happened is your fault, and I'm sure that your parents will see it the same way. Something just wasn't right in Chelsea's head and you've got to see that. She never said a word to you or your parents so how were you supposed to know how she felt?"

Kyle started to say something only to be interrupted by a knock on the front door. Kyle climbed off the couch and squared his shoulders before going and opening the door. He thought that he had prepared himself for the pain at his mother's tear streaked face, but nothing could stop the tears that sprung to his eyes.

"Oh mama," Kyle said, his heart in his throat as he reached out and pulled his mother into his embrace. "I'm sorry," he mumbled against the top of her head.

"You don't have anything to be sorry about Kyle," came the deep masculine voice of his father.

Kyle looked up from where he held his mother to see his dad, his own regret and pain shadowed in his eyes. Still holding onto his mother, Kyle reached out and pulled his dad into the hug. He had almost forgotten where they were when Jared's voice came from just behind him.

"Kyle? Maybe you should bring them inside," Jared said softy, resting one hand against Kyle's back.

Kyle pulled slowly away from his parents and after wrapping his arm loosely around his mother, he led the way inside. He never saw the glare his father shot at Jared, nor did he hear the harsh words.

"You should have stayed gone," Carl Blackner said in a low voice as he walked past Jared.

At first, Jared thought that he had misheard Kyle's father, but the glare that accompanied the words left him little doubt as to what he had heard. Jared cringed inside as he realized that yet another person in Kyle's family didn't want him here. Shoulders slumped, Jared followed Kyle's father inside, shutting the door firmly behind him. He looked over to where Kyle was sitting beside his mother on the couch and felt the first stirrings of loss come over him.

Jared came to a decision and slipped his shoes on before addressing Kyle. "Kyle, I'm going to run out the store for a few things, did you need anything?"

If Jared hadn't been watching he would have missed the slight shake of Kyle's head. He knew that Kyle needed the time alone with his parents, but the way Kyle wouldn't even actually answer him tore at him. He just hoped that he could compose himself enough by the time he got back.

Grabbing the keys to his truck, Jared glanced at the couch one more time before heading out the door. Not wanting to have lied to Kyle, Jared went to the store and came back home with the fixings for steaks and baked potatoes. What he heard as he walked up to the door made him stop in his tracks. He'd never been one for eavesdropping, but he knew that Kyle and his parents were talking about him and cowardness made him stop and listen.

"It's not your fault Kyle, it's his," Carl Blackner was saying.

"What do you mean it's his fault dad? It's his fault that Chelsea completely lost her mind and went insane? How can you possibly blame him for that?"

"Easily, Chelsea never did anything even remotely near this until he came back into your life. She didn't want to see you hurt again."

"Dad, you don't get the picture. Chelsea despised me; it had nothing to do with Jared!"

"How do you know that Kyle? Because Jared told you that? How do you know that was the truth?"

"Because I know Jared, Dad. He would never lie to me about something like that!"

"Carl!! Kyle!!! That's enough!" Sherry Blackner yelled. "Carl, this isn't Jared's fault. He could never have known what Chelsea would do."

"That's not the point; he should never have come back! Why did he come back anyways? To try to ruin Kyle's life yet again?"

"He didn't ruin my life Dad!"

Jared couldn't stop the tears that coursed down his face. Kyle shouldn't have to be defending him to his father. After everything that Kyle had already been through, the last thing he needed was to be fighting with his dad. As quietly as he could, Jared opened the door and set the grocery bags on the counter, going unnoticed by the two fighting men. Shelly Blackner had seen him come in though and her face went completely white as she saw the look on Jared's face and the tears coursing down his cheeks. As soon as he set the groceries down he turned back towards the door and walked out, shutting the door behind him.

"Kyle," Shelly said softly to her son, trying to get his attention without yelling. She knew without a doubt that Jared had heard all of the argument. It was there in his face.

"Yeah Mom?" Kyle said, attempting to rein in his anger.

"I think you need to go outside, and you better hurry."

"Why?"

"Look at the counter Kyle."

Kyle looked over at the counter and saw the two paper grocery bags sitting there and knew that Jared must have come home while he was arguing with his father. He mentally chastised himself for being so caught up in what was going on that he had failed to notice Jared come home. He felt as though someone had punched him in the gut as he made a beeline for the door, only to have his father step in front of him.

"Let him go son, he's not worth it," Carl Blackner said, placing a restraining hand on his arm.

"He may not be worth it to you Dad, but he's worth it to me, now get out of my way," Kyle said angrily, knocking his fathers hand away from his arm and stepping past him. As soon as he reached the doorway he opened it and bolted down the corridor, praying that he could catch Jared before he left. Just as he reached the top of the stairs he heard what sounded like a car peeling out and looked up to see Jared's truck going down the street.

Kyle shoved his hand in his Levis pockets, digging for his keys. He cursed to himself as he realized that his keys were still laying on the coffee table in the living room. Cussing to himself, Kyle hurried back to the apartment, determined to find his keys and go after Jared. There was no way that he was letting Jared just walk out of his life again.

Once back in the apartment Kyle grabbed his coat from where it was tossed over a chair and then grabbed his keys from the table. Leaning down to kiss his mother's cheek, Kyle said softly, "I'm sorry mama."

"Don't be, just go after him," Shelly said back to him, giving him a quick hug.

"Thank you mama."

"This is the second time he's walked out on you Kyle, you really going to stoop as low as to going after him?"

"Yes Dad, I am, but I for one don't see it as stooping low, I see it as going after the man I love, and if you can't support me, then you can be out of my apartment by the time I get home."

"You'd really kick me and your mother out?"

"No Dad, I would really kick you out. Mom supports me, you don't, it is as simple as that," Kyle said before walking out the door. As soon as the door shut behind him, Kyle broke out in a run. As he approached the steps he stopped dead in his tracks as he saw Jared start coming up the stairs. He could not believe the relief he felt at seeing Jared come back. It only took a second for his brain to realize that it was true and Kyle nearly flew down the stairs as he hastened to take Jared into his arms. "You came back," Kyle mumbled against the top of Jared's head.

"I'm sorry Kyle," Jared said quietly, thankful that Kyle wasn't furious at him for running off. Pulling back slightly he looked up into Kyle's worried gaze and said softly, "I ran once Kyle, I'm not going to run again. Whatever we have to face, we face together."

"How much did you hear?" Kyle asked, pulling Jared down to sit with him on the steps.

"How much I heard isn't important. What is important is that I stay and we go through it together. I admit that my first instinct was to flee, but that didn't last very long."

"Can I ask where you were going to go?"

"I was going to go to Matt's place. I wasn't leaving for good Kyle, I was just going to give you time to talk to your dad. I didn't want you fighting with him because of me."

"He had no right to blame you babe, and I wasn't going to just stand there and let him say that kind of shit about you. He has to see that what happened isn't your fault."

"I promise I didn't make up the stuff about Chels."

"I know you didn't, and dad is going to know it too. There's proof of everything that you told me."

"What kind of proof?"

"The detective called last night. Everything that you told me was in Chelsea's journals. Apparently she's been keeping journals for a while, even before we got together the first time. Chelsea spilled her guts in those journals, so trust me, there's plenty of proof if that's what dad wants."

"Why didn't you tell me the detective called?"

"I had to come to grips with it myself first. I know that we share everything Jared, and I planned on telling you. Then my mom called and said that her and dad were almost here and I kind of panicked."

"I'm still sorry that I ran out like that," Jared said, hating himself for running yet again.

"I understand why you did it Jared, but..." Kyle said, placing one hand under Jared's chin and tilting his head so that he could look into Jared's eyes, "I was coming after you this time."

"And I was coming back to you," Jared said softly, a slight smile curving his lips.

"Then I guess we just met in the middle," Kyle said, a soft chuckle escaping from his lips.

Kyle and Jared sat there, content to just hold each other for the time being. After about ten minutes, Kyle slowly got to his feet, reaching a hand down to help Jared up. Wrapping an arm around Jared, Kyle led him back towards the apartment knowing that it was time to face his father... together.

"You ready babe?" Kyle asked Jared softly.

"Not really, but I'm not leaving you to face him alone."

"Don't worry babe, I'll be there with you, and if he's still an ass then he can get out of our apartment," Kyle said before kissing Jared and then opening the door, his arm still firmly holding Jared to his side.

Despite Kyle's arm around him, Jared felt the tension in every part of his body as Kyle led him back into the apartment that they shared. He knew that he had done the right thing in coming back but felt guilty at running in the first place. He felt a warm glow deep inside at the thought that Kyle had come after him. He knew that with Kyle by his side that he could get through anything else that life decided to throw at him.

"I see you found him," Carl said from where he was sitting next to Shelly on the couch.

"He was already on his way back here Dad."

"Carl," Shelly said warningly, looking at her husband before lightly squeezing his thigh.

"I know," Carl said softly, a resigned look coming over his face before he stood up and turned his attention to Jared. "I'm sorry Jared, I don't know what came over me."

"It's okay Mr. Blackner," Jared said, wanting to just let it go, he should have figured that Kyle wouldn't let it drop that easily.

"No, it's not. Dad, you had no right to say the things that you said about Jared. If I can put it behind me, then you should be able to as well."

"I'm sorry Kyle, I don't know what else you want me to say."

"I don't know either Dad. What I would like to know though is where this sudden change of heart came from. Jared was already hurt by one member of my family, I won't stand by and watch it happen again."

"I'm not going to hurt him Kyle, me and your mom talked."

"In other words, Mom told you what an ass you were being?"

"That's pretty much the gist of it," Carl Blackner said, a small smile curving his lips. "Look son, I know didn't act like I should have, but you can't blame me."

"Can't I Dad? I about lost him again, because of you."

"Which is unforgivable, I understand that Kyle. You know I've always supported you, no matter what. If he is what you truly want then I'll support you in this as well. It will just take a bit of time to get used to."

"No more remarks?"

"No more remarks," Carl Blackner said softly. "I really am sorry for the comments that I made, they were out of line," he said, turning his attention once more to Jared.

"As I said before Mr. Blackner, it's okay, don't worry about it. We all say things that we don't really mean, besides, you have reason to doubt me, and I understand that."

"Then you're a lot more understanding that I am," he said, with a pointed look at Kyle, "I will try to understand better. I already lost my daughter; I won't push my son away as well."

"That's all I can ask for Dad," Kyle said softly, "now, how about we fix dinner?"

"I picked up stuff for steaks and baked potatoes," Jared said, stepping away from Kyle's side and grabbing the bags that still sat on the counter. "Sound good to everyone?"

"Yeah, sounds good to me," Kyle said as both of his parents nodded in agreement.

"Do you need any help with that?" Shelly asked as Jared took the bags into the kitchen.

"Nope, I've got it, you guys just relax and talk, I'll be back after I get the food going."

~~~~~~
After Jared left the room, Kyle took a seat next to his mother. Kyle tried to figure out a way to break the tense silence but he was tired of fighting with his father and didn't want to chance saying anything else that would set him off. Kyle was saved as his mom finally spoke.

"So how are things really going with you and Jared, Kyle?" Shelly asked quietly, shooting a silencing glance at her husband.

"We're doing good Mom, taking everything one day at a time. I'm pretty sure that we'll be okay though. We're talking more than we did before, so that's a definite plus."

"I'm glad that you found what you want Kyle, all your father and I want is for you to be happy."

"Yes," Carl Blackner said softly, "I know that I haven't been totally supporting up to this point, but you know that I'm always behind you, one hundred percent. I will probably feel better about the whole thing when I see that he plans on sticking around this time."

"Don't worry Mister Blackner," Jared said, walking into the room, "I'm not going anywhere this time unless Kyle himself asks me to leave."

"Which I'm not going to be doing," Kyle said as he stood up and wrapped an arm around Jared. "How's dinner coming?"

"It won't be long. Do you guys mind if I jump in the shower before we eat?"

"Sure, go ahead," Kyle answered. "I can check on the steaks and make sure they don't burn. You still like yours medium well?"

"Always, that is one thing that never has changed," Jared said, laughing softly before disentangling himself from Kyle's side and heading towards the bedroom. Grabbing a towel he turned the water in the shower on as hot as he could stand and stripped down. Climbing in the shower, Jared pulled the shower curtain closed before placing his hands against the tiled wall and letting the water flow over him, easing the tension in his muscles. At least he knew that the night couldn't go on forever, and once Kyle's parents left he'd be left alone with his man. He was looking forward to being able to curl up with Kyle and reveled in the fact that even after everything he had put Kyle through, Kyle still loved him.

Remembering Kyle and his parents in the living room, Jared quickly washed his hair and soaped up his body. After scrubbing himself clean he shut off the water and grabbed his towel, quickly wrapping it around his waist. Walking back into the bedroom he quickly got dressed in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt before breathing deeply and opening the bedroom door. It was time to face whatever else the night had in store for him, and with Kyle by his side he knew he would make it through none the worse.

Copyright © 2011 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Meh minor speed bump, where's the big wham coming? I feel it, I know you have it in you. I can't say dad's reaction was unwarranted. If Kyle were my kid and someone tore him up like Jared did, I'd be madder than a wet hen on a cold July day. Yeah sure, Kyle and can forgive but love blinds you sometimes.

 

Loved the twist of Jared leaving again - God how that must have hurt Kyle. Fortunately he came back - not sure how Kyle would have reacted long term to Jared walking out like that. Very nice writing. :)

Link to comment
On 06/06/2011 03:51 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Meh minor speed bump, where's the big wham coming? I feel it, I know you have it in you. I can't say dad's reaction was unwarranted. If Kyle were my kid and someone tore him up like Jared did, I'd be madder than a wet hen on a cold July day. Yeah sure, Kyle and can forgive but love blinds you sometimes.

 

Loved the twist of Jared leaving again - God how that must have hurt Kyle. Fortunately he came back - not sure how Kyle would have reacted long term to Jared walking out like that. Very nice writing. :)

Thank you for your review Andy! I have to say that when I wrote this I was able to picture my dad and how he'd react to something like that... Though I am a daddy's girl, so it probably would have been even worse. As for Jared leaving again, I agree with everything you said here, and felt that Jared had to show that he knew that running from problems doesn't solve anything.
Link to comment

Glad Jared realized running wasn'tthe answer. Also glad Kyle was determined to go after him. They both learned something there and that's good! The sooner they realize they can handle these things better together , the better off they will be

Link to comment
On 04/17/2012 02:47 PM, Jammi said:
Glad Jared realized running wasn'tthe answer. Also glad Kyle was determined to go after him. They both learned something there and that's good! The sooner they realize they can handle these things better together , the better off they will be
I think the running thing was more of an instinctive thing. The whole react before you think thing. Luckily he did think before he did even more damage to their relationship!
Link to comment

So nice you had Jared coming back and not running away. Kyle´s mother seems like a lovely lady, not so sure about the father, but probably he´s a nice guy. A bit protective of his son, which is totally understandable.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..