Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Eternity - 13. Chapter Thirteen

Thirteen
Jared didn't know how long he'd been out since he fainted and at the moment he didn't really care. He was surprised he was even still alive. It would have been the perfect opportunity for Chelsea to kill him without him making a sound. Glancing around he didn't see Chelsea anywhere.

"Ah, so you're finally back with the living," Chelsea said, moving into his line of vision from the hallway. "Though I think I can take care of that little problem."

"Why Chels? Why are you doing this?" Jared said, trying to get her to talk.

"Why? That's simple, you made my brother happy, and we just can't have that."

"What?! Why the hell wouldn't you want Kyle to be happy? What has he ever done to you?"

"Oh, he was just the perfect little angel," Chelsea began in a falsetto voice. "Kyle could do no wrong. I figured that would end when he finally told our parents he was gay, but oh no, they were even accepting of that. Everything was fine until you came back, Kyle was miserable. I knew he'd take you back and that you'd make him happy again and that's where all your troubles began. Just think Jared, you wouldn't be in this predicament if it wasn't for that stupid brother of mine."

"Why kill me Chels? Sure, it might hurt Kyle for a while, but eventually he'd get over it," Jared said, knowing he was lying through his teeth. He knew how much Kyle loved him and he also knew that Kyle would never get completely over his death.

"No he wouldn't and you know it. Even after you were gone for two years he was pining for you, he never stopped. I couldn't believe it when I seen you were back, I would have killed you on the spot if I could have."

"They're going to find out it was you," Jared said adamantly.

"Even if they do, it'll be worth it to see Kyle suffer. Always on the straight and narrow, never getting into trouble. Shit, he was valedictorian of his damn class. No, I was always considered the screw up kid, the one who got into drugs, the one who graduated a year late and at the bottom of my class. I was determined that I wasn't going to be like him, and I'm not."

"No, you're not. He's kind and loving, things that you'll never be. He's not a cold blooded killer like you are," Jared spat. Trying to loosen his hands from where they were tied behind him. "So all of this, simply because you are jealous of your older brother," Jared stated.

"Not so much jealous, I just want to give him back some of the pain I've gotten over the years. You know Jared, you are the source of his greatest happiness and now you can also be the source of his greatest pain."

"You're not going to get away with this scot free."

"Yes, I will," Chelsea said, pulling a pistol from behind the waistband of her jeans.

~~~~~~
"Matt, we need to get home now," Kyle said suddenly. A very eerie feeling forming in the pit of his stomach. He didn't know what the cause of it was but he had the feeling that something just wasn't right at home.

"What's wrong Kyle?"

"I don't know, I just have this urge that I need to get to Jared, now!"

"You got your phone on you?" Matt asked urgently.

"Yeah, why? What the hell does my phone have to do with it. We need to go," Kyle said, turning the truck on and slamming it into gear. He hadn't even had a chance to tell Matt all of Jared's suspicions, only that Jared thought it could be Chelsea.

Matt grabbed the phone off the seat and dialed a number. After a couple seconds someone picked up and Matt started asking questions. "Did anyone come to the apartment? How long ago? Anything seem suspicious? Get your asses up there now!" Matt yelled into the phone.

"Who the hell did you just call," Kyle asked as Matt started punching in more numbers.

Matt didn't answer as he waited for someone to pick up the other end of the phone. What Kyle heard made his heart break completely. "Yes, I need the police and an ambulance at this address," Matt said before rumbling off the address. A minute later he spoke again, "It had to do with the Jared Maloney case. I think he's in danger, I have a couple body guards stationed on him and there's been some suspicious activity."

The more Kyle heard from Matt's end of the conversation the more agitated he became. His foot pressed down on the accelerator as he sped toward home, weaving in and out of traffic. He didn't care that he was speeding or that he was passing in the wrong lane, all he knew was that he had to get to Jared. About two miles from the apartment Matt hung up the phone and looked straight at Kyle.

"Chelsea's at the apartment," Matt said, hating the fact that everything had finally come to a head. He knew what it could mean with Chelsea being at the apartment. He knew that his best friend could possibly lose the one man he cared about.

As soon as Kyle heard the words that Chelsea was near Jared he knew that Jared had been right earlier. If he had just believed Jared when he said he thought it was Chelsea then they wouldn't be where they were now. Kyle came to a sharp turn and slammed hard on the brakes, but not nearly as early as he should have, the next thing he knew was that the front of his truck was implanted into a telephone pole. He had slowed down enough that neither him nor Matt were hurt but not enough to keep the truck running. Letting out a few choice cuss words he flew out of the truck and started running towards where Jared was. No matter how hard he pushed himself he didn't make it to the apartment until a little over ten minutes had passed. By the time he was running up the stairs the paramedics were coming out of the door of his apartment with a stretcher, the body covered with a sheet. As soon as Kyle saw the stretcher he collapsed on the stairs, crying out Jared's name as the tears streamed down his face and his body was wracked with sobs.

~~~~~~
Jared was sitting on the couch answering questions when he heard Kyle scream his name. He knew that they'd just taken the stretcher out and had a fairly good idea who Kyle must think it was. Jumping up from the couch he ran out the front door only to find Kyle crumpled on the stairs clinging to Matt. Not sure exactly how to approach he slowed his gait down. As he got closer he watched as Matt looked up and saw him making his way towards them. Jared's thoughts were confirmed as Matt looked from Jared to the stretcher and back to Jared. He mouthed the name Chelsea before moving down the stairs and sitting on the other side of Kyle. Motioning Matt away for the moment, Jared turned Kyle and held him closely in his arms, his heart breaking as he heard Kyle's cries.

"God it can't be, not now," Kyle cried, clinging to Jared.

"Shh, baby, it's okay, I'm here," Jared said, feeling completely helpless.

"She killed him, how could she kill him," Kyle cried, not even hearing Jared.

"Kyle, baby, it's me, she didn't kill me," Jared said a little louder while still keeping a soothing quality in his voice. He knew he got through when Kyle's tear streaked face jerked up and stared at him like he was a ghost.

"Jared, but.. the stretcher.. who..."

"It was Chelsea baby, we'll go over it later, but I'm here, I'm okay," Jared said reassuring Kyle as best he could.

Kyle couldn't believe that Jared was the one holding him. He had been sure when he saw the stretcher that it had been Jared on it. He had actually thought that he was still clinging to Matt until he had heard Jared's voice. He felt a whole new set of tears come over him, this time tears of relief and he clung to the man he loved. He didn't know how long they sat there on the stairs, all he knew was that he couldn't let go. When the tears finally began to ebb, Kyle tipped his head up and caught Jared's mouth in a passionate kiss. Despite all the onlookers he didn't hold anything back, putting all his heart and soul into that kiss. He felt Jared respond and kiss him back just as passionately, just as desperately. Finally pulling away, Kyle looked into Jared's eyes and saw the tears that Jared was trying to hold back. Pulling Jared back into his arms, he cradled Jared against his chest, thankful that the nightmare was finally over and he still had his man in one piece.

"Baby," Jared said from where he was held against Kyle.

"Yeah?"

"Can we go inside now? These stairs aren't the most comfortable."

"Yeah babe, let's go inside, you okay to walk?"

"I'm fine Kyle, trust me. You can examine me yourself, but not out here."

Jared pulled back and climbed slowly to his feet, gaining his balance. He helped Kyle stand and wasn't surprised when Kyle was a bit wobbly. He knew that an emotional breakdown could take a lot out of anyone. Looking behind where he supported Kyle on the stairs he found Matt watching them. Motioning to Kyle's other side, he was grateful when Matt came up and wrapped an arm around Kyle from the other side. Together the two of them managed to get Kyle into the apartment and settled on the couch.

"Mr. Maloney?" One of the officers said coming up to them. "We've got your statement of what happened; however, we will need you to come down to the precinct in the morning."

"Yeah, no problem, are we through for right now?"

"Yeah, we got all we need right now, we will have to take these two down for questioning, but I also understand that they are hired bodyguards, so I don't see any charges being pressed against them."

"Officer, I'm the one who hired them, mind if I meet you down there?" Matt asked.

"Not a problem, we also need to talk to you anyways. Hopefully we'll be able to drop the charges of obstruction of justice, but we need to question you and these gentlemen more fully."

"Not a problem," Matt said before turning towards Jared. "You have my cell number, if you need anything give me a call."

"Will do, and thanks Matt, I know what you did and it saved my life."

Jared watched as Matt shrugged off his thanks as though he didn't know what to say. Jared knew though, it went without saying that Matt would do whatever he could to help a friend in need and though Jared didn't exactly fit the bill, Kyle did.

Hours after everything had started, Kyle and Jared were finally left alone in the apartment. The apartment was a crime scene, but forensics had said they had everything they needed and that Jared and Kyle were able to stay in the apartment. Throughout the entire questioning they had sat together on the couch, seemingly unable to let each other go.

They were still sitting there an hour after everyone else had left, still clinging to each other like they were afraid that if they let go the other would disappear. Their tears had quieted long before and finally they stood up, their arms wrapped around each others' waists and moved into the bedrooms. There was nothing sexual about it as they slipped out of the clothes and laid on the bed, content to just be together.

"Jared?"

"Yeah babe?" Jared asked from where his head rested on Kyle's chest, listening to his heartbeat.

"What did you mean when you said you knew what Matt had done?"

"Well, do you remember how the officer said that since they were hired bodyguards that he didn't see them being arrested for anything?" Jared asked, not surprised when Kyle shook his head. "Well, apparently, after the attack on me, Matt called a couple people and hired them for protection."

"So, the entire time he was..." Kyle said, trailing off.

"Protecting me," Jared answered the unfinished question.

"Then there was me sitting there accusing him at every turn," Kyle said, the fact that he was hating himself showing in his cracked voice.

"I'm sure Matt understands Kyle, if he didn't understand then he wouldn't have been on the stairs with you."

"Do you really think so?" Kyle asked uncertainly.

"I'm almost sure of it, but that's something that the two of you have to work out Kyle, I can't do it for ya."

"I know that, I just wish that it hadn't happened, you know?"

"Trust me Kyle, I wish that none of it had happened either, but we can't change the past."

"I know Jared, I was just so scared, I knew before I headed back to the house that something was wrong. I wrecked the truck getting here," Kyle said, suddenly remembering. "Oh shit, I forgot all about that."

"What do you mean you wrecked the truck?" Jared asked, sitting up and putting his back against the headboard.

"I didn't slow as much around a curve as I should have. It didn't hit hard enough to hurt me or Matt, but the front end is pretty banged up I'm sure, the truck died a little over a mile away. Then I got here," Kyle said, his voice breaking, "and all I could see was the stretcher with somebody on it and the sheet covering who it was. Oh god Jared, I thought it was you. I just couldn't take it. I had told you that I would protect you, that I wouldn't leave you alone, and then what do I do? I go off to get Matt and Chelsea came after you again. What could have possessed her?"

"Jealousy," Jared answered simply. At Kyle's questioning look he told Kyle everything that had been said before the two bodyguards had gotten there. By the time he was done, Kyle was starring at him in shock.

"I never knew, I didn't know that she felt that way," Kyle mumbled. "Why didn't I see it?"

"She kept it too well hidden Kyle, there was no way you could have known."

"She was my sister Jared, now I find out that I didn't know her at all and what I do know I don't like."

"Yeah, well, that's to be expected, she came after me knowing that it would destroy you. She failed though Kyle, because I'm still here, and I'm not going anywhere."

"So what exactly happened today? And what happened to Brian, where's he at?" Kyle asked, not really wanting to know but needing to.

"She showed up here and Brian answered the door because I was just headed towards the bathroom. I came back out to find Brian laying in front of the door. I picked up the phone to call 911 but the phone was dead. That was when I felt the knife in my back and after a minute I was told to turn around, when I knew that it was her I ended up fainting. When I came too she had me tied, up, but not very well I might add. I had gotten my hands free about the time I realized she had a pistol. I was trying to bide my time when the door was kicked in. Chelsea whirled around and stumbled, the gun going off. The second the gun went off one of the guys standing in the doorway shot her. If he hadn't though she would have shot me."

"If he hadn't shot her then I would have, I just can't believe that it was Chels. What happened to Brian, Jared?"

"I know she was your sister and all, but I can't feel that much remorse for what happened to her. As for Brian, apparently she just knocked him a good one over the head with the end of the pistol. He had already been taken to the hospital to get checked out when you got here. He still hadn't regained consciousness and the paramedics were worried about a major concussion."

"I hope he'll be okay, I would hate to think that he would be extremely hurt for simply trying to help me out. Honestly Jared, I'll probably always miss the little sister that I grew up with. There are things that I wish that I could have asked her, but I'll never have that chance, and so I have to go with what I know for certain. The one main thing that I know for certain is that she tried to kill you, and for that alone I can hate her, or at least the person that she really turned out to be."

"Yeah, I know, but babe, it's been a long day; what do you say we take a nap," Jared asked, trying to suppress a yawn.

"Sounds like a plan, as long as you promise to be here when I wake up," Kyle said, placing a loving kiss on Jared's lips.

"I love you babe, I promise, I will be right here next to you when you wake up."

"K, love you babe," Kyle said, burrowing against Jared's side.

"Love you too baby, now get some sleep," Jared whispered, running his hands lightly through Kyle's hair.

Copyright © 2011 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

UGHHHHH so just when you have me thinking it isn't her it IS her. Well hats off for that. :worship:

 

Okay so with 4 chapters to go, what ELSE are you gonna do to these two? :blink:

Link to comment
On 06/06/2011 03:36 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
UGHHHHH so just when you have me thinking it isn't her it IS her. Well hats off for that. :worship:

 

Okay so with 4 chapters to go, what ELSE are you gonna do to these two? :blink:

LOL! Well, at least I managed to surprise you, even though you spent most of the story guessing right. HEHEHE... Now, would I do anything else to these two??
Link to comment

I was right it was Chelsea. Goodness sounds like she really had some issues. I thought at first she was mad at Jared for hurting her brother. I like what you came up with though. Poor Kyle when he thought Jared was dead. And once again live that Matt was in protective mode the whole time

Link to comment
On 04/16/2012 01:49 PM, Jammi said:
I was right it was Chelsea. Goodness sounds like she really had some issues. I thought at first she was mad at Jared for hurting her brother. I like what you came up with though. Poor Kyle when he thought Jared was dead. And once again live that Matt was in protective mode the whole time
Yep, it was Chelsea. I was part of the way through writing the story before I realized who was behind the attacks. I thing that honestly, Matt is probably my favorite character in this story. I think everyone needs to have a Matt in their life that is always looking out for them.
Link to comment

So, it was Chelsea :huh: Kyle and Jared will need some time to get over this all, and so does Matt, Chelsea was his girlfriend after all. Glad Brian is ok.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..