Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GWM - 18. Chapter 18 of 18

Thanks for reading along.

Kurt

When the whistling began, Harry could barely believe what he heard. It was almost midnight. He was still packing. Everything would be moved the next day.
After ten, he’d stopped using the stairs and had stayed in the apartment. He didn’t want to wake anyone. Now he had to go outside.
As he opened the door, Kurt appeared. Harry recognized him immediately. Kurt wasn’t as fast.
“Does Harry still live here?”
“Hi,” Harry said. “How’ve you been?”
“I thought it was you.” Kurt grinned.
“Come in.”
Kurt came into the living room.
“You’re moving,” was the next thing he said.
“Yeah, well, I couldn’t wait forever.”
Kurt missed the joke, though it must have seemed odd.
“Where to?” he asked.
“Not far,” Harry said. “Amherst.”
“Far.”
Harry laughed. “You could walk there in an evening.”
Kurt smiled at that.
“How’ve you been?” Harry asked again.
“Good.”
“I thought I might see you... In town... I never did.”
“I never saw you, either.”
“You live close by?”
“Around the corner. But I’ve stayed out of the park.”
“I know. I looked.”
Kurt grinned again.
“How’s Judy?” Harry asked, after a moment.
Kurt seemed surprised. “Fine.”
“And Chris?”
“Did I tell you about him?”
Harry nodded.
“I’m amazed you remember.”
“I’m not about to forget.” He couldn’t stop smiling, just looking at Kurt. “I’m really happy to see you.”
They hugged, maybe for too long. But neither seemed willing to break.
“What’s your name?” Harry finally said.
“Kurt.”
“No. I know that. Your last name. You never told me.”
Kurt hesitated. “Jones.”
“You’re kidding?” Harry couldn’t stop laughing. He finally reminded himself of his neighbors.
“Why’s that funny?” Kurt asked.
Harry couldn’t explain, at least not immediately. “There was a time,” he finally managed, “that I would have given a great deal of money for that information.”
Kurt grinned. “You wanted to see me again?”
“Then. Yes.”
Kurt laughed. “I wasn’t sure.”
They were still both standing. There was no comfortable place to sit. The apartment looked completely unlike Harry.
“I’ve thought about you,” Kurt admitted. “Thought about coming here.”
“At least, you knew where I lived.”
“You wouldn’t have bothered me? If you’d known?”
“No, I knew you were married. I know how much that means.”
Kurt laughed, nervously.
“I thought that. I never would have come here tonight... like I did... if I didn’t think I could trust you.”
Harry just smiled again. Kurt looked pretty much as he remembered, with no surprises. Besides the sudden pleasure of seeing him again.
“You’re doing okay?” Harry asked. “You’re well?”
Kurt grinned, understanding. “Oh, yeah. That never came back. I passed the five-year mark. And we adopted a little girl. Lisa.”
“You got what you wanted.”
“Yeah. She looks so much like Chris, no one believes she’s not ours.”
“She is now.”
“I know.”
They stood, smiling at each other.
“I better go,” Kurt finally said. “Glad I didn’t miss you. Good luck and all.”
Harry had to kiss him. Mike would have to understand. He leaned Kurt against the wall. They kissed as though it were again that morning.
“Wow,” Kurt said, finally. “Wow.”
“Yeah.”
“I didn’t think I missed you. Not that much.”
“I knew I had.”
Kurt leaned in for another kiss. Harry hesitated. “You haven’t asked why I’m moving.”
Kurt shrugged. “You wanted to build a house. I remember that.”
“That can wait. I met someone.”
“A guy?”
“Yeah.”
Kurt grinned.
“I wish we’d had more time,” Harry said. “Before.”
Kurt grinned again. “That was something. Something you want to tell people. But can’t.” He hesitated. “I haven’t touched another guy since you.”
“I wish I could say the same.”
Kurt smiled, innocently. “A lot?”
“More than one hand.” Harry flashed ten fingers, then stopped, unwilling to count.
Kurt whistled. “This guy...” Kurt started after a moment.
Harry nodded.
“...he’s really lucky.”
Harry kissed Kurt again, still leaning against the wall. They were both hard. It was a warm night, and they were only wearing jeans and light shirts. For a time, it seemed they might never stop. “Kurt Jones,” Harry finally said again. “Jones!” He laughed, too loudly.
“What’s your name?” Kurt asked.
“Sussman. Harry Sussman.” And they walked downstairs.
In the park, as they were saying ‘goodbye,’ surprisingly, Kurt grabbed Harry again and held him tightly, though several cars approached and passed. This man never feared police, Harry remembered.
“If you’d let me tonight, “ Kurt said, slowly, “I’d promised you’d be the last.”
It seemed very important.
“If I’d let you tonight,” Harry said, as slowly, “I’m afraid you wouldn’t be the last.”
Kurt nodded. “I understand.”
Harry smiled. “Still... I’m glad I saw you.”
“Yeah.”
They both were smiling. Finally, Kurt let go.
“Good luck,” he said.
“Thanks.”
“Be good.”
Harry grinned. “You, too.”
They promised.

copyright 2011 by Richard Eisbrouch
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I had the same thought as drought -- how the hell would Mike have time for a relationship? He didn't have time for a movie.

 

“If I’d let you tonight,” Harry said, as slowly, “I’m afraid you wouldn’t be the last.”

 

Why not? Is he saying Kurt wouldn't be enough?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/23/2016 04:12 PM, Geemeedee said:

I had the same thought as drought -- how the hell would Mike have time for a relationship? He didn't have time for a movie.

 

“If I’d let you tonight,” Harry said, as slowly, “I’m afraid you wouldn’t be the last.”

 

Why not? Is he saying Kurt wouldn't be enough?

No, Harry's worried that he's gotten so used to dating and the casual sleeping around that he's grown used to as part of that, that he won't be able to stop now that he's met the man he really wants to be with. But he will, because he's Harry, and he has that kind of discipline. The next book -- which may not be the next book I post here because it's very long -- is collectively called "A Triumvirate of Saints," and it's about a very happily married man, with kids, who doesn't quit his sexual explorations and just keeps them extremely partitioned off. I've explored this a bit before, in "The Pendleton Omens," but that book started after a divorce.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/22/2016 06:45 PM, droughtquake said:

You tricked me! ;-)

 

How will Mike find the time for Harry? He seemed too busy for his own good when he was single.

Nah, you were just expecting that the last chapter would be the last guy. It goes back to "Happy families are all alike" -- you don't really need the details of Harry and Mike's courtship, relationship, and eventual marriage -- since they do live in Massachusetts. As for how Mike will find time for Harry, and how Harry will find time for Mike: they will because they want to. Each is that important to the other. They complement each other. They balance each other. They both want to be married, and in love, and part of someone's life outside their own.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, I think the last chapter was anti-climatic, but I'm happy for Harry. He finally found his Mr. Right. :)

 

I hope that he and Mike are happy. I'd love for you to write a chapter about their wedding day with Harry inviting all the men he's met that year. That would be awesome. :)

 

Happy Holidays, Rich! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/28/2016 05:39 AM, Lisa said:

Well, I think the last chapter was anti-climatic, but I'm happy for Harry. He finally found his Mr. Right. :)

 

I hope that he and Mike are happy. I'd love for you to write a chapter about their wedding day with Harry inviting all the men he's met that year. That would be awesome. :)

 

Happy Holidays, Rich! :)

To me, the most important thing about that last chapter, and the reason it exists, is to say that Harry has stopped dating and, consequently, sleeping around. On some level, he really is afraid that he can't stop what's become an accustomed behavior. The other thing the chapter does is shortcut Harry and Mike's rather uneventful, year-or-so long dating process -- until Harry decides he's comfortable enough to move into Mike's house. Because it's so ordinary, there's just nothing interesting to write about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I will leave a review. Not sure what the difference is except here I don't worry about "spoilers". I knew how Harry felt from some of my personal experiences. From the beginning, I expected Kurt to show up again. I was surprised when it turned out Mike was the reason for the move. I thought it was the house he had finally built and maybe Kurt was free to share it. I understood perfectly when Harry told Kurt he might not be the last one. I have great hopes for Harry and Mike. 

Thanks for an unusually realistic read.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

Jim

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yep, in my mind, Harry and Mike are still together, and there's nothing that should end their marriage -- Mike's too busy doing good work, and Harry's too grounded.  And they have a great circle of gay and straight friends.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..