Jump to content
    Rndmrunner
  • Author
  • 1,054 Words
  • 589 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rndmrunner Writing Prompts - 1. Chapter 1 - The Gift

Prompt 116 Cue – the gift Years ago you came across a child crying because everyone had forgotten their birthday. Feeling bad you took the child into the nearby store and picked up a small gift for them and wished them a Happy Birthday. Well years have passed and it is now your birthday and they have arrived to repay your kindness. What is their gift to you?

The Gift

 

 

One of my selfish pleasures is to not book anything or anyone on my birthday. I have reached an age when I am simply embarrassed when friends and family fuss with celebrations. I was reclining on the couch writing when the chimes sounded setting the dogs into Howler Monkey mode. Annoyed at the disturbance, I snapped at hem to for God’s sake be quiet and heaved myself around them to the entrance to turn away whoever was soliciting at the door.

 

 

Carly jumped back as I snatched the door open still harping at the dogs who crowding around the entrance. At the sight of her startled frown, I softened, smiled, and swung the door open to let her in. The dogs, soothed by a familiar face and happy that they had done their duty, swarmed around her knees, and rubbed their heads lazily against her leg. Carly’s face was flushed as from the cold, her glasses fogging as she hit the warmer air. Carly was dressed in typical college fashion, an eclectic mix of comfort and fashion, well worn at the edges. Amidst a tangle of boots and dogs I took her coat and invited her in.

 

 

“Sorry to bother you, I know you keep your birthday to yourself but I needed to talk to you and I knew you would be on your own tonight. “

 

 

“What’s up” I smiled; “you know that you are always welcome” Carly sat down as I proceeded to pour another glass. “It wasn’t so long ago that this would have been juice and Oreos. Carly looked flushed and a little nervous so I gave her a few moments while I put away my journal and settled back in on the couch. I wondered at how that timid tearful child I first met had grown to be this confident young woman who was uncharacteristically at a loss for words.

 

 

Carly looked up and gathered herself. “Eric, you remember the day I met you. It was my 9th birthday, I was in such a state. I was feeling forgotten cuz Mum was strapped for cash and time, you know the whole single parent thing, so there was no fuss or party. As only a nine year can feel I was feeling neglected and I so wanted to celebrate a special day. You found me sitting on your stoop in tears with a runny nose. Well I always wondered why you sat down and talked to me, really talked to me, instead of just asking where I lived and taking me home. Even then I knew it was okay to talk to you. And when you took me into the book store and bought me that hand puppet I knew I had found a friend. You didn’t rush me and then walked with me back home. I remember I was afraid when I showed it to Mum , you know, talking to strangers and all that and I was surprised when she just shook her head a little sadly and hugged me and offered you a coffee. You started coming around after that; Mum was never really surprised to see you, and you became Uncle Eric.”

 

 

Carly paused and looked up at me directly and took a breath. “Mum has always been open and told me as soon as I could understand that she had me using a sperm bank. She said that when I was older I might be able to get some info on my biological father. I had always been curious as to who my biological father was. Mum and I were enough though and I didn’t need some stranger to make us whole. Mum raised me on her own and while I know she struggled sometimes she did a great job. And you know, over the years, you became the one I talked to for things that Mum just couldn’t answer, so I didn’t want to meet a stranger and feel that I should have some special connection to him. Anyway… ” Carly paused again looking down at her hands absentmindedly peting the dogs who were resting their noses in her lap.

 

 

Looking up, Carly began again “Last summer, shortly after my birthday, Mum sat down and had a chat with me, she said she needed to clear the air. She told me that she always felt badly that I never had a chance to know my dad and her decision to have me by herself had cost me that chance. We talked and I tried to explain to her that even if I didn’t have a dad I had a Mum all to myself, one who was always there for me.” And I meant it, she went on. “I remember looking at my friends and their families. Some of them had two parents but they might as well have been alone most of the time. Besides Eric you have become part of the family too. I told Mum not to worry. The scars that I bear are pretty normal for a nineteen year old. I even told Mum that she hardly ever embarrasses me anymore. She laughed and agreed that she’s slipping and promised to try harder. We talked some more and I think Mum understands that I get it”

 

 

“So what I really came here to say was thanks for being there for us.” Carly slipped an envelope out from behind her and passed it over. “Happy Birthday”.

 

 

I smiled and opened the card. It was one of those gauzy drugstore cards that kids buy and emblazoned on the cover was HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! I felt a tightening in my gut and looked up.

 

 

Carly smiled and said “Well Mum and I might have talked a little more that I let on. I don’t think I will ever know how hard it must have been for you not to say anything all these years and just be there as a friend. You were a real friend to Mum, honouring the deal to be anonymous, but I am much happier to have you as a Dad.” I barely heard that last part as I pulled Carly into my arms.

Copyright © 2012 Rndmrunner; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..