Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 1,523 Words
  • 864 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The People of the Forest - 12. Chapter 12

Chapter 12 - Into the Deep Valley

Another day’s march brought us to a broad plain that stretched almost to the horizon. Far away mountains were visible but made indistinct by a band of low clouds. As we proceeded along the road we could see the source of the clouds, smoke rose from a fissure in the plain. What at a distance seemed little more than a crack in the otherwise featureless expanse was revealed to be a jagged canyon, the Deep Valley. Nearer yet, we discovered the entrance into the valley, a narrow gash leading down and down.

We paused only long enough to settle our final plans with Radley and the people from the City of the River. These forces, along with our guards and bearers, would wait at a discrete distance from the valley’s entrance, ready to assist us on our return. Only the four of us, Trevor, Gar, Tro and myself would descend as a diplomatic mission as we had done at the City of the Cliffs and as advised by the king of the City of the River. Gar and Tro resumed their pose as beasts, no longer able to conceal themselves among the group of soldiers. Further planning would have to wait until we could assess the situation. I still hoped that Reskin and his family would be permitted to leave, but I knew it was a dim hope.

Our small party continued on our journey. Our steps followed the narrow, winding valley, at places narrowed further by fallen boulders and landslides. Some of the same geologic forces that had formed the river defile through which had passed must have been a work here, too, only this defile was arid. It had not seen water since most ancient times.

On we pressed, descending ever deeper the walls of narrow passage rising at each side. The air grew dense with the smoke we had seen rising from the valley. After many hours, we were challenged by two guards. The site for the guards had been well chosen for the valley narrowed such that only their presence was sufficient to prevent entry.

I presented my ambassadorial credentials. The guards allowed us to pass standing well back from the apparently fierce Gar and Tro. We were directed to proceed to the far end of the valley where the lord’s citadel could be glimpsed through eddies in the smoky air. No direct road led through the valley, rather the main way was broken by ascents and descents to terraces apparently carved into the sides of the valley and occasionally across bridges that spanned the valley.

On the larger terraces, groups of soldiers could be seen drilling, clearly preparing for battle. Each man was heavily armored and carried spears or a sword. The source of all this armament became clear as we continued into the valley. Nearly all of the terraces along the valley’s walls were dimly illuminated, the fires of hundreds and hundreds of smithies. From these many fires came the smoke that filled the air and rose above the valley and from those forges came instruments of war. The entire valley seemed focused on that intent.

At sites where other cities had parks and places of repose, the Valley of the Deep had vast cages filled with violent and desperate creatures. They roared and clawed at us as we passed, filling me with horror knowing that Tro must have suffered here. The evil of the place felt like a weight upon me.

At length we reached the citadel, perched on a high ledge overlooking the valley. Here the massive gates were heavily guarded, as much to keep the occupants in as to protect from assault from without. Our coming must have been observed, for we were admitted immediately and ushered into a great meeting hall. At the far end was a dais occupied by officials. I recognized the ambassador who had come to the City of Walls. Tro recognized him as well, amplifying his terrorizing actions in that direction. I could see the ambassador blanch, even across the distance.

A body of armed guards occupied the floor in front of the dais, preventing our closer approach. The chamberlain strode to the middle of the dais, striking it three times with his staff of office and calling for silence. Gar and Tro continued roaring and struggling until I bridled them with a tug at their bonds.

The chamberlain glared at me then intoned, “The Lord of the Deep Valley.”

Rising from the floor of the dais, presumably through a concealed doorway, came the lord. He appeared to be tremendously muscled, though that might be attributable to the armor he wore. He approached the edge of the dais. “Do you come with tribute, ambassador?” The hall echoed with his words.

“Your lordship,” I replied. “I am bidden to advise you of the wishes of the King of the City of Walls. He, and all his subjects, seek, as ever, peace with the people of the Deep Valley and the people of all lands. We ask nothing, save the opportunity to share prosperity among our peoples. We honor all those who also seek peace.”

“Know you not my power?” Even his guards quailed at the force of the lord’s shout.

“I will surely inform our king of our experience of the Deep Valley, it is most impressive. The lord scowled at my evasion. “On another matter, I am requested to ask our king’s son, Reskin, to return to the City of Walls with all dispatch.”

From among the gathered officials Reskin stepped forth. I barely recognized the man I had known as one of fortitude and some vanity. Here was a man cowed, his face deeply lined with worry. “Your lordship,” he stammered, “have I your permission to depart?”

“Once the matter of tribute and recognition of our place among the cities is settled, I will entertain your departure.” Then he directed his attention to me again, “And you, ambassador, you will return to me three days hence with your tribute.” He vanished into the floor.

Reskin cautiously pushed his way through the armed guards, his face filled with question. “From a distance I thought you must be Cambion’s friend, Simon. But that cannot be.”

“Reskin, it is I, though I am changed. I will explain all, can we meet in private?”

“My family and I are not permitted to leave the citadel and I fear every word is overheard. The Lord of the Deep Valley seems to know all that transpires here.

“Then I shall be brief. Let us walk. Tro, Gar, create a disturbance so that we are not overheard.” I handed the chains linking them to Trevor. They began tussling and roaring, dragging Trevor across the room attracting all attention.

“Reskin, I am here to escort you from the valley. If you are not permitted, then we must help you to escape. Your father is ill and you must return to your kingdom with all possible haste.”

“I must bring my wife, Lyana, and children.”

“Of course. Be ready at a moment’s notice. I do not yet know how, but we will come for you.”

I saw the chamberlain approaching. I assumed an amused expression, quickly changing the subject. “So your brother is as much trouble, as always, Reskin. You are needed to bring him under control. The king tires of his antics and romances.” Reskin also tried to look amused.

“Your Excellency, please follow me to rooms where you can rest.”

***

We were led to a spacious apartment high in a building adjoining the citadel walls. From the windows the whole of the valley lay below us. We were all tired from the day’s long journey. I advised that we all rest and consider how we might prepare for our departure. Gar led me to our chamber. We made love more to comfort each other than to meet passion, the atmosphere of the valley depressed our ardor. In that comfort, sleep came.

The passed the next day in our chambers. While we had not been expressly forbidden to leave them, guards stood in front of the doorway sending the message that we would be better to remain.

Much as in our experience in the City of Cliffs, our small group paced and fretted at our near captivity.

Trevor stopped mid-step. “A diversion, we need a diversion if we are to escape.”

“I agree, though it would have to be of a tremendous scale to allow our crossing to the valley’s exit. We must, also, find Reskin and his family.”

We paced anew.

Tro wandered to the windows, distractedly gazing over the valley. I assumed that he was haunted by memories of this place and put a hand on his shoulder to comfort him. He turned and smiled sadly at my gesture.

What little sunlight penetrated the valley soon faded. No closer to a plan for escape, I thought it best that we rest while we could and suggested we retire for the night. Gar’s presence in the bed comforted me, even as our usual passion succumbed to the oppressiveness of the place.

End of Chapter 12
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..